TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #31
pautler

It sounds like you're all set and you're going with MOCA, but keep in mind that an ethernet *switch* is different from an ethernet *hub* in that the traffic is only sent out the ports that need it (whereas a *hub* is a repeater that sends all traffic out all ports). Everything is switches these days.

For example, if you have an 5port switch with connections as follows:
port1 - Roamio
port2 - Mini1
port3 - Mini2
port4 - PC
port5 - Uplink to Internet and/or other switches

Mini1 can be streaming from the Roamio and that traffic will only show up on ports 1 & 2. At the same time, Mini2 can be streaming from the Roamio and that traffic will only show up on ports 1 & 3. Of course, as you can see there, both of those streams will be present on port 1... but bandwidth is really not a concern at all since you would likely have a 100Mbps or 1Gbps switch. While both of those Minis are streaming from the Roamio, your PC can be sending traffic to/from the Internet, and that traffic will only be seen on ports 4 & 5 (and neither of those ports will see any of the traffic from the streaming sessions between the Roamio and the Minis.

Back in the old days of ethernet hubs, all traffic was flooded out all ports. But switches are smart enough to know which devices are connected to which ports, and they only send the traffic out the ports that need it.

-Joe
pautler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:18 PM   #32
jmpage2

I'm quite proficient in networking, and yes, if you put all the TiVo devices on a separate data switch then you've created a new physical segment to isolate the TiVo traffic. From a broadcast domain perspective though you still have both switches in one broadcast segment or VLAN.... in most production networks, broadcasts are actually a major source of 'network crawl' once a segment grows into a large number of devices. All unicast traffic will go through the specific network ports that the devices are attached to, but all broadcasts (and multicasts) will go through the entire physical switch network, regardless of how many switches you've connected together.

Also, a decent gigabit ethernet switch (managed or otherwise) should have more than enough throughput to handle a few TiVos streaming as well as all of the other local network traffic.

I guess if you actually experience problems then moving some of the gear to a new network segment would be a good first step, although I would concentrate on other things that are "always on" such as CCTV cameras before worrying about TiVos that might only spend a few hours a day pushing network traffic.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #33
pautler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
From a broadcast domain perspective though you still have both switches in one broadcast segment or VLAN.... in most production networks, broadcasts are actually a major source of 'network crawl' once a segment grows into a large number of devices.
Yes, but "large" in that case is many hundreds of devices.

And, just a point of clarification (as I'm sure you know), the devices don't need to be connected to different switches in order to isolate the traffic, just different switch ports.

-Joe
pautler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #34
marklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
You're right, this would be better since the Minis are only getting moca. Better still since the Roamio leg would be split again because of the TA.

marklyn, forget what I said earlier. This is a way better plan. Go with this. Lol.
I'm going to order my Roamio this week and could use some advice on purchasing a POE filter + 2 way splitter + 3 way splitter + 4 way splitter. I've found these items on ebay but I'm not seeing enough description to know if the frequency range is correct. 1000 Mhz for POE filter (or more) and 2500 Mhz for splitters.

I'd appreciate some advice what to buy and any web links. I don't mind spending a couple of bucks extra if what I'm getting is higher quality.

would the 2, 3 & 4 way splitters on this page be good, average, bad? http://stores.ebay.com/Cmple/_i.html...&_sid=34741409
Is there a particular brand of splitters that is better?
MOCA
CC: Sci Atl PK802
TA: Cisco STA1520
TimeWarner Cable-Austin

Last edited by marklyn : 12-15-2013 at 09:26 AM. Reason: updated
marklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:15 AM   #35
pshivers
Retired!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklyn View Post
I'm going to order my Roamio this week and could use some advice on purchasing a POE filter + 2 way splitter + 3 way splitter + 4 way splitter. I've found these items on ebay but I'm not seeing enough description to know if the frequency range is correct. 1000 Mhz for POE filter (or more) and 2500 Mhz for splitters.

I'd appreciate some advice what to buy and any web links. I don't mind spending a couple of bucks extra if what I'm getting is higher quality.

would the 2, 3 & 4 way splitters on this page be good, average, bad? http://stores.ebay.com/Cmple/_i.html...&_sid=34741409
Is there a particular brand of splitters that is better?
I've used the following splitters from Antronix with very good results, the rating is to 1002 mHz but that is really not a concern for MoCA as it is designed to work with these type of splitters that are commonly used by the major Cable Companies.

CMC2002H 2-Way Splitter
CMC2003H 3-Way Splitter
CMC2004H 4-Way Splitter

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...er%2Caps%2C318

The $9 POE MoCA filter from Tivo works just fine.

One thing I learned while getting my own MoCA network running over the past two months was to not overthink things, MoCa is designed to work with the existing coax in 90% of America's homes!

The only real gotcha I ran into was a powered amplifier (Charter Installed) in the middle of my home coax wiring that was blocking the MoCA signal from getting to two of my bedrooms, replaced it with with one of the 2-way splitters mentioned above and all was well! I also had two separate drops coming into my house from the cable company, one for the Main TV and Internet/Telephone and the other for the bedrooms and Man Cave. This was an attempt to solve a tuning problem on my Tivo Roamio Pro Charter did that did not make a difference. I combined everything into a single drop so that my MoCA network was no longer going all the way out to the pole and back to connect to all my MoCA devices (makes for a flaky MoCA network connection doing that!). Once I was on one drop I installed the POE MoCA filter at that drop. In the future I may use the 2nd leftover drop for just my Internet and Telephone connections, but I'll have to install a new coax home run to them bypassing the Main TV coax.

Charter did a lot of run and split coax runs in my home instead of doing full home runs to each room from the utility box. My 3 bedroom coax run has a total of 3 splitters inline before it finally gets to the last bedroom! I may make it a summer project to make new home coax runs to all rooms from the cable utility box just because it would make me feel better, my MoCA network is working great as is so there is no "Real" reason to change it at this time!

Good luck with your install, I think you will find it is very close to simple "Plug n' Play" with what I have read about your own infrastructure...
Charter CableCard Firmware Updated to PKEY_1.5.3_F.p.1101 All 6 tuners are now Active and Working!
Tivo Roamio
Tivo Mini (x3)

Last edited by pshivers : 12-15-2013 at 11:09 AM.
pshivers is offline   Reply With Quote