TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #1
ScaryMike

UFC Pay per view via youtube? Anyone try it yet?

Apparently, you can now order UFC pay per view events on Youtube. Has anyone tried doing this, then watching via the youtube app on Tivo?

I want to try it, but I'm worried I'll invite friends over and then see the dreaded "this content is not available on this platform" or some such.
ScaryMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
WhiskeyTango

Why not just order it like normal? If your cable company allows you to order over the phone or online, it'll work just fine.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
jrtroo
User

Contact youtube?
Old 11-07-2013, 02:18 PM   #4
ScaryMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
Why not just order it like normal? If your cable company allows you to order over the phone or online, it'll work just fine.
Funny story. I called the order line this morning to ask if that was possible. They said no. They do offer phone orders, but said I wouldn't be able to access the PPV with tivo.

I then hopped on the "Live Chat" and they told me that yes, I could do that.

So I'm not left with a ton of confidence that will work either.

I've got Charter in Madison, WI.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #5
WhiskeyTango

They're misinformed. It will definitely work. It's really no different than ordering HBO.

From Tivo.com:

Quote:
TiVo Series3 and Premiere series boxes

You can view and manually schedule a recording of a Pay-Per-View (PPV) program, BUT ONLY if your cable provider allows you to purchase it over the phone or online from the provider's web site. To do so, use the following instructions.

NOTE: At this time, it is not possible to view Video on Demand (VOD) programs for most providers with a Series3 and most Premiere series boxes. You will need to rent a cable box from your cable company and use a separate connection for this content.

1. Verify you have selected your Pay-Per-View channels as part of your channel list. To do this:

From TiVo Central go to Messages & Settings > Settings > Channels > Channel List.

NOTE: Select the channels your Pay-Per-View channels are on. If you do not see the channels listed, you may need to Repeat Guided Setup.

2. Contact your cable provider to order the Pay-Per-View program.

3. Set up a Manual Recording of the program.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:28 AM   #6
ScaryMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
They're misinformed. It will definitely work. It's really no different than ordering HBO.
I had no luck last Saturday. ended up having to order it through the UFC app and airplay it to my TV. Charter did remove the PPV from my bill since I couldn't tune the channel.

Picture of failure
Note: sometimes my grey cablecard screen would pop up when I tried to tune to the channel as well.

Just for info if people find this searching:

I also tried to do it via youtube and chromecast it, but it wouldn't let me chromecast a live event, only giving me an error. This also shows that its not possible: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/3285407?hl=en
Old 11-22-2013, 10:33 AM   #7
JosephB

I would definitely try out PPV on a movie before I jumped in and bought a UFC or WWE event.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #8
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryMike View Post
I had no luck last Saturday. ended up having to order it through the UFC app and airplay it to my TV. Charter did remove the PPV from my bill since I couldn't tune the channel.

Picture of failure
Note: sometimes my grey cablecard screen would pop up when I tried to tune to the channel as well.

Just for info if people find this searching:

I also tried to do it via youtube and chromecast it, but it wouldn't let me chromecast a live event, only giving me an error. This also shows that its not possible: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/3285407?hl=en
Then your cable company screwed up authorizing the channel.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:40 AM   #9
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephB View Post
I would definitely try out PPV on a movie before I jumped in and bought a UFC or WWE event.
As long as it is a true PPV channel and not VOD.

Btw, I've ordered UFC on Charter for years and never had an issue with my TiVos. It will work on any TiVo on my account that has a cablecard.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #10
ScaryMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
As long as it is a true PPV channel and not VOD.

Btw, I've ordered UFC on Charter for years and never had an issue with my TiVos. It will work on any TiVo on my account that has a cablecard.
I'm starting to suspect my cablecard isn't properly paired. (because the cable card screen pops up on the PPV channel).

I get the Con: Yes, but val: ?

Any cablecard experts know if that is ok? I get all my other channels, but I don't subscribe to any premium channels. Maybe I should start a new thread.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #11
JosephB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryMike View Post
I'm starting to suspect my cablecard isn't properly paired. (because the cable card screen pops up on the PPV channel).

I get the Con: Yes, but val: ?

Any cablecard experts know if that is ok? I get all my other channels, but I don't subscribe to any premium channels. Maybe I should start a new thread.
That would do it. Without the card being paired properly, you will usually/sometimes be able to watch non-copy protected content, but if you try to watch something with a CCI byte set, it will fail. Charter only protects premiums and PPV, so worth looking into.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:38 PM   #12
ScaryMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephB View Post
That would do it. Without the card being paired properly, you will usually/sometimes be able to watch non-copy protected content, but if you try to watch something with a CCI byte set, it will fail. Charter only protects premiums and PPV, so worth looking into.
Yup. on the phone now and they verified that I am not properly paired. Apparently they never took the old host out when I upgraded to the Roamio. So i thought it was working because I don't have any channels that wouldn't work until I tried PPV.

Of course, I'm still on hold, so I'm not ready to declare victory until this val:? changes to val:Y or whatever its supposed to be.

For the record, I did get it "paired" when I first switched, but they just did it wrong. I also tried to get it fixed when I realized my PPV wasn't going to work. and they still didn't realize the error. So it took 3 different techs before someone could realize that there was a problem with the pairing.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #13
ScaryMike

And I'm paired properly!

Val:V

I'll try the Dec 28th PPV and report back in after that, but I think its going to work. I am able to tune in "LOGO" now which used to always give me the cable card pop up screen.