TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-06-2013, 06:45 PM   #1
CyberCop

Roamio Plus MoCA Question

Hi All,

I will be upgrading to the Roamio Plus and am planning my network connections. Is it possible to connect the Roamio Plus and Mini over MoCA and to leverage the Plus' MoCA bridge to connect to the rest of the network/Internet via powerline or wireless bridge (bridge/powerline->Ethernet->Tivo)? My Tivo is not close to my router and I am hoping to alleviate the need to purchase a MoCA adapter to connect it to the router.

From my understanding, the stream between the Roamio Plus and Mini would pass over MoCA and would not touch the rest of the network. Is my understanding correct and will there be any negative effects?

Thanks!
CyberCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
Ieolus

That is how I am set up now.

Router --> Powerline --> Roamio
2x Mini via Moca to Roamio
Ieolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:21 PM   #3
BigJimOutlaw

It can work. The Plus just needs a strong/robust connection of some type to the router to be used as a MoCA host, whether that's ethernet, powerline, or a *good* wireless N adapter connected to the ethernet port.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:28 PM   #4
dmart

Roamio Moca Setup Issues

I have my Roamio in my upstairs bedroom and my Comcast modem/router downstairs along with my wireless router. I am looking to create a Moca network with an additional two Minis. I've spoken with Comcast and Tivo and since the Roamio and the Comcast Modem are not in the same room you are required to purchase an Actiontek Moca Network Adapter. I did this and am still having issues creating the Moca network. The setup is coax from outside into Actiontek box, then ethernet from Actiontek to Comcast router. This was confirmed by both TiVo and Actiontek. Now problem is that I don't have Internet access. Ideas?
dmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #5
CyberCop

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
It can work. The Plus just needs a strong/robust connection of some type to the router to be used as a MoCA host, whether that's ethernet, powerline, or a *good* wireless N adapter connected to the ethernet port.
So in this setup, does the data between the Plus and Mini go through the router? If so, it would be pointless to connect the Plus to the router via wifi/powerline. My understanding is that the Plus would only use the Plus->Router connection for DHCP and Internet access but that the traffic between the Plus and Mini would go strictly over MoCA.

Can someone confirm this understanding?
CyberCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:57 PM   #6
BigJimOutlaw

The Roamio-to-Mini traffic would be over the coax. (coax would be the only thing connected to the Mini.)

The only thing going over the ethernet/powerline/whatever is internet connectivity for both.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote