TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 118 votes, 4.97 average.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #541
AdamNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshivers View Post
My Tivo Roamio Pro has been running without a problem since Noon Sunday (11/03/2013) playing and recording on 5 tuners. I forced 5 simultaneous recordings of "Premium" copy protected channels this morning with perfect results!

I could never do that with all 6 tuners activated.

I checked my Cisco CC and the OS Ver: PKEY1.5.2_F.p.2401 which is not at the minimum release of PKEY1.5.2_F.p.2801, Charter claims they can not release an update until it has been "Fully tested"....

Charter also utilizes a Cisco Tuning Adapter (STA1520), I am not certain how this may play into the 6 tuner problem.

For now the "5 Tuner" band-aid fix will tide me over until Charter finds an actual real fix for the problem. I have notified my Charter Tech of my findings and expect he will get back to me ASAP as they seem very motivated in resolving the problem!

Again Thanks for all the input, I can now at least enjoy most of the functionality of my new Tivo Roamio Pro, albeit with only 5 tuners!!!
Try getting them to look into the 1.5.3.1101 firmware. It is confirmed working by all who have it on Cablevision. I am sure they can find someone at Cablevision or Cisco to confirm the positive reports and then they can try it out on their own.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #542
andyf

So I got a call back from my Comcast Executive contact today. She told me that engineering has reported that it "may" or "may not" be possible to update my card. I explained that I had received an update in the past. She indicated the problem may be whether they can update an individual card.

I think she was trying to tell me without actually saying it (maybe the call was recorded) that it was a lot of red-tape that they had to go to in order to update an individual card like this. I could be wrong. This is still ongoing and she said she'd call back when she heard more from engineering. She indicated that this was a local issue and maybe Ft Myers in Florida had gone through the process to get it to happen but the decision appears to be local.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:26 PM   #543
sanyewest

tanks AdamNJi did email ed i'll let all know what happen
sanyewest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:10 PM   #544
HDRyder9

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyf View Post
So I got a call back from my Comcast Executive contact today. She told me that engineering has reported that it "may" or "may not" be possible to update my card. I explained that I had received an update in the past. She indicated the problem may be whether they can update an individual card.

I think she was trying to tell me without actually saying it (maybe the call was recorded) that it was a lot of red-tape that they had to go to in order to update an individual card like this. I could be wrong. This is still ongoing and she said she'd call back when she heard more from engineering. She indicated that this was a local issue and maybe Ft Myers in Florida had gone through the process to get it to happen but the decision appears to be local.
I guess you could send a card to Fort Myers to get the upgrade.
HDRyder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:59 AM   #545
James315

AdamNJ, could you please PM me Ed's e-mail at CV.
I can't PM you as I'm too new to the forum.
This is to participate in the NDS card Beta test.
Thanks.
James315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #546
pshivers
Retired!

Is there any effective route to take to get a cable company to upgrade their firmware on their CableCards.

I am assuming at this point we are totally at the mercy of whatever process (If Any) each company has in place for rolling out firmware upgrades...

Can one upgrade CC firmware on their own?
pshivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #547
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

Cisco CableCARDs

We've been looking at the logs of TiVo Roamio boxes with Cisco CableCARDs, and we have a better understanding of which CableCARDs work correctly with 6 tuners.

Here's what we've learned:

Cisco 1.5.2.3001 - problem
Cisco 1.5.3.0601 - inconclusive
Cisco 1.5.3.1101 – good

We will be encouraging cable companies to update to the Cisco 1.5.3.1101 firmware.
TiVo Inc. *
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVoMargret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #548
HDRyder9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshivers View Post
Is there any effective route to take to get a cable company to upgrade their firmware on their CableCards.

I am assuming at this point we are totally at the mercy of whatever process (If Any) each company has in place for rolling out firmware upgrades...

Can one upgrade CC firmware on their own?
A cable card is just a PCMCIA card. If you have an old computer with a PCMCIA slot, the firmware and the software to upgrade it, you could do it yourself. I wonder if Tivo has enough pull with Cisco to get the firmware from them. I'll volunteer to upgrade the cards.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #549
bmgoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
We've been looking at the logs of TiVo Roamio boxes with Cisco CableCARDs, and we have a better understanding of which CableCARDs work correctly with 6 tuners.

Cisco 1.5.3.1101 – good

We will be encouraging cable companies to update to the Cisco 1.5.3.1101 firmware.
OK, I have 1.5.2.3001 and I successfully recorded 6 channels at once for 30 minutes. Under what circumstances am I likely to see a problem?
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:53 PM   #550
Am_I_Evil

so i got an email back from Ed (Cablevision) to check if my firmware now ends in .0601...i still see .0501...any tips?

first time at cablecard diag i got an error...going back in it said waiting for update...waited a bit and checked again, firmware was still the same but the boot date was today...wth?

edit: just got a call from Ed....he's on the case....hope this works...

my firmware is upgraded...lets see what happens...tuners back to 6...

Last edited by Am_I_Evil : 11-06-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Am_I_Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:02 PM   #551
jaj2276

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgoodman View Post
OK, I have 1.5.2.3001 and I successfully recorded 6 channels at once for 30 minutes. Under what circumstances am I likely to see a problem?
Two potential issues.

1) Let's assume a restart of the Tivo. The problem won't happen until a few hours/days (always hours in my case but I suppose it might take longer). I have no idea why, but every "test" I've performed has led me to this conclusion. All tuners work on all channels and something happens and two of them stop working like they should.

2) The channels are important. Let me use my lineup as an example. Channels 420 - 430 are HD channels that are likely encrypted (AMC, CNN, Discovery, USA, etc.). 431 -436 are my local HD channels which are not encrypted (i.e. I don't need a cablecard to view them if I have a TV with a digital tuner).

For me, one of the tuners would stop being able to show some (but not all) of the channels in the 420-430 range. Another tuner would stop being able to show any of the channels in the 420-430 range. However, both tuners would always be able to show the channels in 431-436 range (i.e. the non-encrypted ones).

I have 1.5.2.3001 as well and am on Comcast. YMMV.

Last edited by jaj2276 : 11-06-2013 at 04:10 PM.
jaj2276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:08 PM   #552
jaj2276

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaj2276 View Post
My local Comcast executive left me a voice mail saying they were aware of the problem and were planning on releasing a fix sometime in 1Q or 2Q of 2014. They're testing it out in a few local markets but he said there wasn't a way to get it to me.

I'm going to write back to Comcast and see if I can get a monthly discount on my bill until they actually release the fix.
I called the executive back and he said that since all their DVR boxes now use cablecards (I wasn't aware Comcast had gone the cablecard route), they needed more rigorous testing for the firmware before releasing it.

I of course mentioned that I wasn't asking for the firmware to be released to everyone, only me. At first he claimed that couldn't be done to which I said that wasn't true. Then he said that it was only being tested in a few local markets and that we (Charleston SC) weren't one of them.

Sounds more like a typical Comcast employee who either thinks he knows better or is too lazy to do something about it.

It's nice to see TivoMargret's post confirming 1.5.2.xxx firmwares are bad and confirming that the 1.5.3.1101 that an earlier user got upgraded to works. I just wish Tivo had done this research BEFORE releasing the Roamio and had a chance to work with the cable companies to get this upgrade out BEFORE they released the Roamio.
jaj2276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:19 PM   #553
andyf

Problem with waiting for a rollout, is that it could take years before everyone has it, even with TiVo prodding them.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #554
HDRyder9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaj2276 View Post
Two potential issues.

1) Let's assume a restart of the Tivo. The problem won't happen until a few hours/days (always hours in my case but I suppose it might take longer). I have no idea why, but every "test" I've performed has led me to this conclusion. All tuners work on all channels and something happens and two of them stop working like they should.

2) The channels are important. Let me use my lineup as an example. Channels 420 - 430 are HD channels that are likely encrypted (AMC, CNN, Discovery, USA, etc.). 431 -436 are my local HD channels which are not encrypted (i.e. I don't need a cablecard to view them if I have a TV with a digital tuner).

For me, one of the tuners would stop being able to show some (but not all) of the channels in the 420-430 range. Another tuner would stop being able to show any of the channels in the 420-430 range. However, both tuners would always be able to show the channels in 431-436 range (i.e. the non-encrypted ones).

I have 1.5.2.3001 as well and am on Comcast. YMMV.
There are various reasons that the black screens occur. Sometimes tuning certain channels in a particular order will cause the black screen[s]. Tuning to a PPV channel might cause it.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/vide...1.5.2.3001.pdf

Read the Cisco bulletin to start.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #555
profet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Am_I_Evil View Post
so i got an email back from Ed (Cablevision) to check if my firmware now ends in .0601...i still see .0501...any tips?

first time at cablecard diag i got an error...going back in it said waiting for update...waited a bit and checked again, firmware was still the same but the boot date was today...wth?

edit: just got a call from Ed....he's on the case....hope this works...

my firmware is upgraded...lets see what happens...tuners back to 6...
Just finished talking to Ed and I'm now at:

3.0.7_F.p.0601

Back to 6 tuners. Cross your fingers.
profet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:29 PM   #556
tomhorsley

Quote:
Problem with waiting for a rollout, is that it could take years before everyone has it, even with TiVo prodding them.
Especially since TiVo prodding Comcast is probably a lot like an ant prodding an elephant as far as Comcast is concerned.
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #557
Am_I_Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by profet View Post
Just finished talking to Ed and I'm now at:

3.0.7_F.p.0601

Back to 6 tuners. Cross your fingers.

says build time is Oct 23, 2013 so its definitely new
Am_I_Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #558
MoranJ2000

Roamio, 6 tuners, and Comcast SA Cable Cards in FL

Anyone on Comcast in Florida manage to get a CC firmware update to the PKEY 1.5.2.2801 version that supports 6 tuners?

My CC is still on PKEY 1.5.2.2401--- the alleged update that was supposed to be coming in October never came. (I'm in Bonita Springs, part of the Naples market which was due to get this update.)

Naturally Comcast support, including the special CC hotline, knows nothing about a firmware update. I called the latter, and in the process of "trying to update my firmware", they unpaired the card. I didn't realize this right away, so I'm waiting for my blood pressure to go down before I call back for them to fix it.

Just wondering if there are any other options other than waiting indefinitely for Comcast to get around to an update that may never come. Going through the trouble to swap cards doesn't seem worth the grief-- I'd bet that they're ALL out of date, and there's no way to know until you pop it in a TiVo.

I'd like to be able to use six tuners sometime before the Roamio 2 comes out...
MoranJ2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #559
andyf

I think TiVo needs to pull their support article stating Cisco 1.5.2.2801 and above is good for 6 tuners now that TiVo themselves have discovered that 1.5.2.3001 is still bad. Although I have no idea how they can phrase a new article since .3001 is the latest version in the field, which means no one running with Cisco CableCards can reliably receive 6 tuners. The same is probably true for NDS cards also. I haven't understood the Motorola situation, are any of their f/w versions good?
Old 11-06-2013, 10:02 PM   #560
sanyewest

got home tonight n got updated firmware F_p_0601 build time oct 23, 2013 thanks to AdamNJ and ed from cablevision i have all 6 tuner working great
sanyewest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:15 AM   #561
moyekj

Quote:
I haven't understood the Motorola situation, are any of their f/w versions good?
Yup, never had any any trouble here. TiVo says something about FW=2.65 for Motorola, but I have FW* 6.25 (the FW line is all dashes with no numbers).

It would be nice to see an up to date TiVo web page for all CableCard types with what software versions are known to work. Along with it Tuning Adapter firmware as well would be good to see. Obviously TiVo CSRs are not all educated with the latest info so if nothing else it could be a benefit to them as well to have something to reference.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:32 AM   #562
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post

Cisco 1.5.3.1101 – good

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
Especially since TiVo prodding Comcast is probably a lot like an ant prodding an elephant as far as Comcast is concerned.
Arrgh! -- not hopeful. I can only laugh at the effect "prodding" might have on my TWC -- and Tivo isn't even prodding, just "encouraging".

This, and OOH crippled by TWC copy protection, and still having to deal with a TA, pretty much guarantees I won't be considering a Roamio in the foreseeable future.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:40 AM   #563
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
It would be nice to see an up to date TiVo web page for all CableCard types with what software versions are known to work.
Yes, I really hope the TiVo support page is updated soon to reflect the 1.5.3.1101 firmware being the only one for SA/Cisco cards that will definitely work. I've been working with somebody at Comcast Executive Care on this issue, and I've told him that the 1.5.3.1101 firmware is what I need. But if he looks on the TiVo support page that lists 1.5.2.2801 as the minimum supported firmware, he's just going to say that my current 1.5.2.3001 firmware is fine.
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:27 AM   #564
HDRyder9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoranJ2000 View Post
Anyone on Comcast in Florida manage to get a CC firmware update to the PKEY 1.5.2.2801 version that supports 6 tuners?

My CC is still on PKEY 1.5.2.2401--- the alleged update that was supposed to be coming in October never came. (I'm in Bonita Springs, part of the Naples market which was due to get this update.)

Naturally Comcast support, including the special CC hotline, knows nothing about a firmware update. I called the latter, and in the process of "trying to update my firmware", they unpaired the card. I didn't realize this right away, so I'm waiting for my blood pressure to go down before I call back for them to fix it.

Just wondering if there are any other options other than waiting indefinitely for Comcast to get around to an update that may never come. Going through the trouble to swap cards doesn't seem worth the grief-- I'd bet that they're ALL out of date, and there's no way to know until you pop it in a TiVo.

I'd like to be able to use six tuners sometime before the Roamio 2 comes out...
I have the 1.5.3_F.p.1101 firmware. I'm serviced by the Comcast, Bonita Springs head end as well. It took some effort on my part but I was successful. Good luck.

You need to escalate above a CSR for this to happen. Many of the CSRs don't know what firmware is. Try to get through to a management level or engineering person.

Last edited by HDRyder9 : 11-07-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:12 AM   #565
NJguy

For all of you Cablevision subscribers in NY/NJ (maybe other places too) with NDS cards we will hopefully be able to use all 6 tuners very soon. From conversations with some there I am thinking all will be good in the next 2 to 3 weeks.
NJguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:26 AM   #566
Ryan Nelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Nelson View Post
Still trying to get 1.5.2_2801 or higher card - Charter is working on it. They did put two cisco tuning adapters on my Roamio and it has helped dramatically. I can record with 4 or 5 tuners (depends) - all of which are on encrypted SDV channels. I still have it set at 6 tuners and its working fine as long as one tuner is on an unencrypted local channel (which is common if I'm recording 6 shows).
Charter still has not been able to get me a card with updated firmware. I keep calling, but no dice. Do we have any other option other than to just wait?
Ryan Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #567
andyf

Note. Stop looking for 1.5.2_2801, it won't help. You need 1.5.3_1101 which is currently unavailable anywhere except for the few who managed to bug their cable company into updating them (not an easy task).
Old 11-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #568
GriffithStrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRyder9 View Post
I have the 1.5.3_F.p.1101 firmware. I'm serviced by the Comcast, Bonita Springs head end as well. It took some effort on my part but I was successful. Good luck.

You need to escalate above a CSR for this to happen. Many of the CSRs don't know what firmware is. Try to get through to a management level or engineering person.

Do you have a name we can ask for or any more info on how you got them to update you. I think AndyF and I would both benefit from it.

AndyF posted over at the comcast boards everyone should go post there has well, let Comcast know we need this update.
GriffithStrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #569
andyf

This is the link to the Comcast Forum:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Custome...o/td-p/1899111
Old 11-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #570
bmgoodman

Quote:
This is the link to the Comcast Forum:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Custome...o/td-p/1899111
Thanks, Andy. I dropped into that forum and made my own request in your thread. It might be worth it for other Comcast customers here to jump in as well.
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote