TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.57 average.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:51 AM   #61
ustavio

Another Netflix reboot. Followed all the suggestions and it seems nothing works. I've put a lot of time and energy into this issue. How can this be so complicated. I could use another platform to watch Netflix but why keep a product that has either defective hardware, or software or Apps? Unfortunately, I have a LOT of recordings that I need to off load but I'm just discouraged enough to do it and return the Roamio. I NEVER had this much trouble with my Tivo HD, or any other electronic product for that matter.

Sure wish TivoMargret would reply to my email (hint hint). Just venting. The thought of transferring the plethora of recordings (went on quite a binge there for awhile) makes my hair hurt.
ustavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:07 PM   #62
Dan203
Super Moderator

Did you try changing to component? That would rule out an HDMI issue completely.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #63
ustavio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Did you try changing to component? That would rule out an HDMI issue completely.
I have not been able to find them as of yet. I suppose if worse comes to worse, I can go out and get some. Their use does pose some questions.
1. If they do work and it is an HDMI issue, what then? Do I need a new Television? Replace the Tivo?
2. If they do not work and it is not an HDMI issue, what then? A new television? Replace the Tivo?

There are sporadic reports of others who have this issue and everyone seems to either have a different solution or is just willing to live with it. It would sure be nice to know exactly what the cause is, and I'm willing to go the distance but gee whiz, from the cable card nonsense early on to this on going annoyance, I can't believe how much time and energy I've put into this. I also find it hard to believe that something as simple as using Netflix on a high end Tivo is such a problem. It's mind numbing.

Well, I dread wading into the "garage of no return" to hunt for the ancient artifact known as a component cable.....but I have now the Indy Jones hat on my head.......so off I go.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #64
Dan203
Super Moderator

If you get the reboot with the component cables then I would replace the TiVo. If you don't then I would check to see if there is a firmware update available for your TV. Some can install them easily via an internet connection, others require you to download something and put it on a USB key. Note: if you do have to use the USB key method be careful. I tried that once with my Sharp TV and the first attempt seemed to completely brick the TV. After some research I found that the key had to be formatted as FAT16 for the upgrade to work. Most USB keys are formatted as FAT32 by default. Anyway after formatting the key properly I was able to get the update to install and the TV working again, but it was a tense few minutes when I thought I had broken the TV.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #65
ustavio

Okay, I found a "green, blue, red" bundle but not the rest It's been so long that I forget. Isn't component supposed to include five cables...another red and a white?

Oh, just checked email and TivoMargret just responded and she acknowledged there was an still an issue and they are working with Netflix. It should be fixed in an upcoming update.....although no timetable is given. Maybe I'll wait?

BTW, my Sony TV has to update via USB stick.There are no current updates. I do recall the white knuckle experience with the last one!
Old 11-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #66
Dan203
Super Moderator

Might as well try the component cable. The Red/Blue/Green is all you need for video. If you need audio to the TV too then you'll need to either use optical or a red/white cable. (could also be a yellow/red/white and just leave the yellow dangling)
Old 11-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #67
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustavio View Post
Okay, I found a "green, blue, red" bundle but not the rest It's been so long that I forget. Isn't component supposed to include five cables...another red and a white?
You're thinking of 5 cable RGBHV, analog red, green and blue signals with horizontal and video sync with RCA or BNC connectors. It's what's in a VGA cable, along with some discrete control signal wires.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:28 AM   #68
ustavio

Quote:
Might as well try the component cable. The Red/Blue/Green is all you need for video. If you need audio to the TV too then you'll need to either use optical or a red/white cable. (could also be a yellow/red/white and just leave the yellow dangling)
Okey Dokey, swapped out the HDMI for Component and (drum roll)....it rebooted 5 minutes into 24 on Netflix. That's the bad news. The GOOD news is that I had an email exchange with Margret and she said that it was NOT my set up. Just to be certain, they are going to look at my logs and let me know if something is askew on my end. However, she gave every indication that it is definitely a Tivo/Netflix issue, is currently being worked on and to expect an update to remedy the issue this month.

I might just get a new Sony 84" 4K Ultra HD to celebrate. Er, wait....at second glance the price is not $2500, it's $25,000. Euphoria created a temporal feedback loop in my brain and I missed a few zeros... Don't think my wife will go for it...unless we can convince one of our kids to forgo college.....hmmmmmm, thinking.....
Old 11-06-2013, 02:46 AM   #69
Dan203
Super Moderator

If it crashed with component then it's got to be your TiVo. Man that sucks. Hopefully they can fix it by updating the app, but I have to reitterate that I've only ever seen my TiVo reboot once while watching Netflix and I've watched at least 100 hours of content via Netflix since getting it. So by contrast what you're seeing is not normal. If it's not fixed by day 89 I'd seriously consider exchanging it under warranty.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:20 AM   #70
bbrown9

I've been seeing the reboots too. Not as frequently as ustavio, but frequently enough for it to be a problem. I avoid watching it on my Roamio if there is a recording in progress for that reason. I have even resorted to using the broken app on my Premiere Elite to avoid the reboots.

I'm glad they expect to have a fix for this soon. Thanks for that update Ustavio.
bbrown9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:25 AM   #71
ustavio

Quote:
If it crashed with component then it's got to be your TiVo. Man that sucks. Hopefully they can fix it by updating the app, but I have to reiterate that I've only ever seen my TiVo reboot once while watching Netflix and I've watched at least 100 hours of content via Netflix since getting it. So by contrast what you're seeing is not normal. If it's not fixed by day 89 I'd seriously consider exchanging it under warranty.
I hear what you're saying. Believe me, I'm watching the clock on this. I do have a 3 year replacement warranty with Best Buy so I'm not worried about the box itself. Whether or not Tivo will transfer the lifetime subscription past a certain point is another matter. In that light, however, since that one reboot on component, it has not done so again and I've been stress testing Netflix with back to back episodes of everything and anything (even while recording on all tuners at the same time). It could have just been an electronic spaz attack or the ham handed way I installed all those bloody cables in a tight space. Who knows. I'll continue the non-stop stress test to see if I can provoke another reboot, but so far so good.

While Margret didn't give me any details, I get the impression that it is the Netflix app (which is distinctly unique to Tivo) and how it interfaces with the Tivo platform (which is also distinctly unique). It is my hope that the update will fix it once and for all....for everyone. Perhaps we'll get profiles back to boot. It seems to me that Roamio owners are beta testers of sorts. I doubt there is anyone who has had flawless performance on every level. Especially when I peruse the forum. There are still a lot of hiccups but Tivo seems to be working harder than usual to address them, which is a good thing. The Roamio (and Mini) strategy has exciting prospects but not if they can't deliver solid hardware and software. If they can't get Netflix to work right, it may not bode well for their plans to introduce other apps (I do recall reading about a Pandora issue that others had that I did not),

I'll keep you posted and thanks for your input. It is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:29 AM   #72
moyekj

May also depend on what specific content is being watched. If you provide an example show you are watching perhaps others can try it to see what happens.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #73
bradleys
It'll be fine....

He said he is watching 24, so we can give that a try.

My girls have been watching a lot of netflix lately - A whole season of The Next Great Baker, and some odd anime stuff that I don't pay any attention too...

We haven't experienced any reboots on the Roamio.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:39 AM   #74
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
He said he is watching 24, so we can give that a try.
OK, but specific season and episode which caused a reboot would be more helpful especially for a series like that with many episodes.

I watched 4 episodes of 1st season of "The Killing" yesterday on my Roamio Pro without issue. All of them started playing at 1080p/24 and never switched from that and looked great. Netflix on Roamio Pro has been a delightful experience for me thus far.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:33 AM   #75
rainwater

The issue is most likely a network issue. It is easy to test. Pull the coax (or phone line) on your modem while you are streaming Netflix and watch the box reboot. I'm still thinking the Netflix app just can't handle any fluctuations in the network.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #76
ustavio

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
OK, but specific season and episode which caused a reboot would be more helpful especially for a series like that with many episodes.

I watched 4 episodes of 1st season of "The Killing" yesterday on my Roamio Pro without issue. All of them started playing at 1080p/24 and never switched from that and looked great. Netflix on Roamio Pro has been a delightful experience for me thus far.
Interesting thought. Just off the top of my head, it seems that every reboot occurred watching 24. We've been doing a marathon. I can't recall a reboot while watching anything else. Narrowing it down to a specific season and/or episode would drive me insane. Reboots occurred before and after updates, before and after profiles and back to no profiles, during recording, not during recording, different times of night and/or day, sometimes before, during or after a Tivo connection or VCM hit. They even occurred with and without my tin foil hat They are about as random and nonsensical as can be.

When not rebooting it operates like a charm and is preferred because of the 1080p/24 option. My Fios STB only delivers 1080i. It makes sense that there is an issue with the Tivo/Netflix interface and it also makes sense that it will affect some and not others due environmental factors that some have that others don't. Perhaps it is a defective box but TivoMargret seemed to think it is not that or my set up. If, after her review of my logs, she tells me I have a lemon, I'll let everyone know. As they are working on a "fix" due to come out this month, it gives me a modicum of hope. These reboots did not start until after one or another of the software updates and, perhaps, may have even been caused by a previous Netflix fix that helped some but created issues for others.

BTW, I loved first season of The Killing but season two was a bit odd. Wondering if there will be a season three.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:55 AM   #77
bbrown9

I've seen it while watching Supernatural season 8 and Alias
bbrown9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #78
ustavio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
The issue is most likely a network issue. It is easy to test. Pull the coax (or phone line) on your modem while you are streaming Netflix and watch the box reboot. I'm still thinking the Netflix app just can't handle any fluctuations in the network.
Hmmmmm......do you mean pull the coax from the router or from the Tivo Roamio? Have you experimented with this while streaming Netflix? If so and it did, you may have something there. Did you try and pull the coax while watching regular TV as well, or during playback of a recorded show? Was there a reboot?

My Fios network is pretty solid but I'd be willing to try this and see.

The Tivo Netflix app uses HTML5 instead of Flash like my other platforms. Wonder if that fits into the mix.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:08 AM   #79
ustavio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown9 View Post
Frustrating isn't it. I never had it occur with Alias but that was pre-update mania.

Thanks for your post. The more folks who chime in will help the rest of us feel better about our circumstance. Also, one wonders how many are out there who do not even know this forum exists, much less have access to someone like TivoMargret.

Last edited by ustavio : 11-22-2013 at 01:53 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #80
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown9 View Post
I need to watch Supernatural anyway so I'll keep an eye out for reboots.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:34 AM   #81
rainwater

Quote:
Hmmmmm......do you mean pull the coax from the router or from the Tivo Roamio?
From the modem (or router/modem combo if you have one). The Netflix app is very susceptible to fluctuations in the internet.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #82
keenanSR

Quote:

BTW, I loved first season of The Killing but season two was a bit odd. Wondering if there will be a season three.
Yes, and all 3 seasons are available on Netflix via streaming and/or discs.
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #83
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenanSR View Post
Yes, and all 3 seasons are available on Netflix via streaming and/or discs.
I started watching season 3 on TV and it was awesome. So now going back to watch 1st 2 seasons via Netflix. I did hear season 2 was not as good but season 3 returned to greatness. BTW the quality of the streams on Netflix are better than AMCHD channel delivered by Cox here, so I actually prefer watching via Netflix, especially as well since there are no commercials to skip.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:14 PM   #84
keenanSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
I started watching season 3 on TV and it was awesome. So now going back to watch 1st 2 seasons via Netflix. I did hear season 2 was not as good but season 3 returned to greatness. BTW the quality of the streams on Netflix are better than AMCHD channel delivered by Cox here, so I actually prefer watching via Netflix, especially as well since there are no commercials to skip.
Season 2 was actually like a second half of S1. The show is patterned after Forbrydelsen, a Danish crime drama which ran 3 series over about 5 years. Forbrydelsen's first series ran in two 10 episode segments airing about 6 months apart. The Danish series ran 3 separate storyline in the 3 Series while the US version was only 2 stories over 3 seasons.

AMC can have a very wide variation of their picture quality, The Walking Dead can look like a VHS tape at times while Hell On Wheels had some of the very best PQ I've ever seen on TV. The shooting of The Killing in Vancouver as subbing for Seattle didn't help much either with all that overcast and rain.

It is the opinion of many, including me, that the Danish series far surpasses the US version in quality of writing and acting. Hopefully Netflix will get the streaming rights to Forbrydelsen some day. With a DNS redirection service such UnBlock Us you can access the Scandanavian Netflix sites to view content not available in the US. I'm not positive that Forbrydelsen is there as I've never looked but I'd be surprised if it wasn't.
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #85
JC Fedorczyk

Dumb question. Is there a way to drop back to the TiVo menu when done with a movie? Pressing the TiVo button takes me all the way back to the TiVo menu.
JC Fedorczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:49 PM   #86
mrizzo80

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Fedorczyk View Post
Dumb question. Is there a way to drop back to the TiVo menu when done with a movie? Pressing the TiVo button takes me all the way back to the TiVo menu.
I think the button labeled "Back" will do this. The Up arrow key works too... that's what I usually use I think.
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #87
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Fedorczyk View Post
You seem to have asked and answered the question. The TiVo button takes you back to the main menu like it would any other time. The List button (or TiVo TiVo) will take you to the My Shows dialog. The Live TV button will take you to Live TV. The new Back button will back out to wherever you entered Netflix from (I believe--I've never bothered setting up the new remote since I use a Harmony One; if there's an IR code for Back it's not in the Harmony device definitions).

"
" -- hookbill
Old 11-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #88
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrizzo80 View Post
The Up arrow key works too... that's what I usually use I think.
From what context? From streaming video playback UP gets you back to where you started (the title's menu or the browser). From the title's menu it does nothing. From the the browser it moves up and down through the list of genres; UP from My List is the "Search" and "Netflix Kids" buttons, UP from there is the last Genre in the list--it's a circular scroll.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 11-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #89
swerver

More options:
Left will return you to whatever you were last doing. So if you are watching a recording, left will take you back to the menu but already drilled down to the show you are watching. This works for any menu location, not just shows.

If you exited an app, left will start it up again.

Right is another way to see info. Left hides it again.
swerver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #90
mrizzo80

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
From what context? From streaming video playback UP gets you back to where you started (the title's menu or the browser). From the title's menu it does nothing. From the the browser it moves up and down through the list of genres; UP from My List is the "Search" and "Netflix Kids" buttons, UP from there is the last Genre in the list--it's a circular scroll.
It sounded like he was looking for a way to avoid getting dumped all the way back out to TiVo Central when streaming Netflix titles. Up may not take him back out to the Netflix artwork tile list in one step but its much quicker than his current method.
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote