TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-06-2013, 09:13 AM   #1
Lrscpa

Roamio Pro + Mini - which to install first

I'm replacing an XL4/Stream/HD with a Roamio and a Mini.

Thinking I should hook up the Mini to the existing XL4 and then add the Roamio, move shows from XL4 to Roamio, and then decommission the XL4.

Thoughts?

Roamio Pro (Stock) w/Lifetime <Stewie>
TiVo Mini w/Lifetime <Brian>
TiVo Premiere Elite (Stock) w/Lifetime-Sold
TiVo HD w/1TB WD10000CSRTL w/Lifetime-Sold
No More Tuning Adapters!
MoCA
Lrscpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:27 AM   #2
jrtroo
User

I would do that completely the other way. Get the Roamio set up and the shows transferred and then link the mini. Why link it twice?
Old 11-06-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
I would do that completely the other way. Get the Roamio set up and the shows transferred and then link the mini. Why link it twice?
I agree. OP is going to make things much more painful than they need if they set up on XL4 and then migrate to Roamio. Just set the Roamio up first and point the Minis to the Roamio the 1st time they are set up.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:26 PM   #4
Lrscpa

Thanks all.

That being said, what I think I will do is pull the cable card from the XL4 and put it into the Roamio, get it bound, etc.

Am I correct in assuming that I can transfer shows from the XL4 to the Roamio without a cablecard?

Roamio Pro (Stock) w/Lifetime <Stewie>
TiVo Mini w/Lifetime <Brian>
TiVo Premiere Elite (Stock) w/Lifetime-Sold
TiVo HD w/1TB WD10000CSRTL w/Lifetime-Sold
No More Tuning Adapters!
MoCA
Lrscpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrscpa View Post
Thanks all.

That being said, what I think I will do is pull the cable card from the XL4 and put it into the Roamio, get it bound, etc.

Am I correct in assuming that I can transfer shows from the XL4 to the Roamio without a cablecard?
Yes that is not a problem as long as both units are on the network and have active TiVo service.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

Actually doing it the way you said would be fine. You can easily change the host of the Mini at any time. It's a simple menu option, no need to repeat setup or anything.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:05 PM   #7
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Actually doing it the way you said would be fine. You can easily change the host of the Mini at any time. It's a simple menu option, no need to repeat setup or anything.
I had several little snafu's that I ran into when I moved my Minis from XL4 to Roamio, they really had a hard time acknowledging the Roamio until I did several service calls on them.

Additionally if you use the XL4 as your MoCA bridge, then you might have a bit of a network problem initially with the Minis when you change this to the Roamio as in my case the Minis did not automatically pick up the new MoCA host bridge.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
I had several little snafu's that I ran into when I moved my Minis from XL4 to Roamio, they really had a hard time acknowledging the Roamio until I did several service calls on them.
Those are account problems and would have happened whether your Mini was paired to the XL4 or you were setting it fresh. Unfortunately these account problems happen and they effect the Mini more then they do other TiVo devices.

I have personally flopped my Mini back and forth between my XL4 and Roamio several times and never once had a problem. But my account is old and all of these devices have been linked to it for a long time. New devices can be a bit more of a problem.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote