TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-05-2013, 06:04 AM   #1
obeythelaw2004

Confusing Moca or ethernet setup

I just purchased a Tivo Roamio Plus and one Mini. The initial cable card pairing and setup went well (although the update took about an hour!). I have my Roamio next to my Verizon Fios router and I had plugged an ethernet cable from the router into the Roamio. I then had set up my Roamio as Moca so that the Mini can see it. When I would check the settings it would say the connection was Ethernet and Moca.
However, when I checked the network settings the Moca had no settings at all. It said Moca was "down" and had all zeros next to the settings. When I unplugged the Ethernet, all of the Moca settings came up and they were excellent settings.
However, I plugged the ethernet cable back in thinking I should have it set up that way because that's how the setup instructions look.
I started watching my Tivo Mini both live tv and some recorded programs and it was buffering and I would get a pop up saying there was a problem with the network. Very annoying. I have been reading more and more and it appears that I don't need to use Ethernet if I have Moca enabled. I was reading somewhere else that the Verizon Fios router is automatically set up as a Moca device anyway. Should I have both Ethernet and Moca connected? I was reading somewhere on the Tivo website that if I do both, it is set up as bridge mode.
I haven't watched TV yet on the Mini with just the Moca setup on the Roamio so not sure if that was the problem, but if anyone can shed some info, I would appreciate it.
obeythelaw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #2
Time_Lord

The Verizon Actiontec already does MoCA for you, you've simply created a loop in your network.

You need to either disable the ethernet or the MoCA on your Roamio.

-TL
Time_Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:32 AM   #3
obeythelaw2004

What would you suggest is the better one to use? I don't have an Ethernet cable next to my Mini but I could run a cable in my basement to that room without a lot of effort. A lot of what I'm reading is that Ethernet is best and Moca would be second best. I want to maximize the best speed so that I don't suffer any buffering or loss of connection at the Mini.
obeythelaw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
Time_Lord

My personal preference is ethernet, simply because I'm more comfortable with it in terms of troubleshooting etc, but in reality its 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other in terms of performance requirements and stability, I'd leave the mini on MoCA since you have that there, you can leave your Roamio on either ethernet or MoCA, just pick one, the Verizon actiontec router will bridge between MoCA and Ethernet.

-TL
Time_Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by obeythelaw2004 View Post
What would you suggest is the better one to use? I don't have an Ethernet cable next to my Mini but I could run a cable in my basement to that room without a lot of effort. A lot of what I'm reading is that Ethernet is best and Moca would be second best. I want to maximize the best speed so that I don't suffer any buffering or loss of connection at the Mini.
Unless there is a problem with bad splitters or coax runs, MoCA is just as good as ethernet for the purposes of feeding streamed shows to a Mini. Streamed TiVo video only consumes 50-70 megabits per second of network bandwidth at most. MoCA typically delivers 200 or more megabits of performance, which is enough to handle several Minis getting content at the same time.

I would say "do whatever is easier". I actually have ethernet drops to all the rooms in my house that have a Mini, but by using the MoCA functionality I don't have to have switches at those locations (which all have at least one other network device), which saves a little bit of electricity.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #6
ltxi

Ethernet.
ltxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:21 AM   #7
BigJimOutlaw

As others mentioned, since the Actiontec router has moca built-in, neither the Plus or Mini need the ethernet. Coax is all you need.

For the choppiness on the Mini, I would check the splitters between the Mini and Roamio and make sure they're adequate. They should be rated to at least 1000MHz (1GHz) but ideally higher. If they're old, it wouldn't hurt to replace them even if they are 1000 MHz too.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote