TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-05-2013, 06:40 PM   #1
bmgoodman

Errors, and Drop-Outs, and Quirks, Oh My!

I started to set up my shiny new Roamio Pro last night, getting the CableCard paired and channels working. Tonight, I called Tivo to purchase Lifetime service for the box.

The real problems started tonight. When I tried to connect to the Tivo Service over Wi-Fi, which worked fine last night, I got a failure that it couldn't connect to the gateway. So I decided since I have a lot of stuff to transfer from my Series 3 1TB anyway, I'd just go wired. So I switched over and still couldn't connect to the Tivo Service. So I rebooted the Tivo as well as my switch and router.

I finally connected to Tivo long enough for the box to determine it has Lifetime. But I got a failure a few moments after that. The network test passed, so I rebooted it again.

After that reboot, it had the correct MAK. But it won't display shows from either my Tivo S3 or Tivo HD. It's also very hit-or-miss in showing the pytivo folder or my server folder. And I'm seeing C133 errors frequently.

From my PC, I did 1000 pings to the wired port and lost 131 of those. I've swapped out the Ethernet cable and connected to a different port on the switch. I'm still getting dropped packets.

Additionally, I've had the same failure to return from Standby on occasion. Thankfully, I had read the suggestion to use the power button on the face of the Roamio to turn it off (well, Standby) and back on.

Another oddity is that somehow during the Tivo reboot, there is a brief period where the remote in RF mode emits a burst of IR that turns on *both* my other Tivos. (Must be using Remote Code 0).

Finally, I've found that when I can navigate my pytivo folder, there is no way to move back UP the folder tree. One the Tivo S3, there is NO issue walking up and down the tree. Yet Roamio is missing this functionality?

Yeesh. This is NOT smooth. I was willing to overlook things like the "UKNOWN" references on the menu.

Maybe I just got a bad unit? It's crazy to have so many issues, right?
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
moyekj

I think part of the problem is wireless is still enabled even after you attach ethernet. Contrary to expectations, wireless seems to stay alive when ethernet is connected, and there is no off setting for it. Go back to network settings and go through wireless setup again and then give it the wrong password for your WiFi network to effectively disable it. You probably have to unplug ethernet to do that. Then plug ethernet back in and switch back to ethernet setup. This should ensure there aren't any conflicts between wireless and ethernet in your setup.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
bmgoodman

Thanks, moyekj, for resolving my network problems! It took me a few tries to get it right, because I was trying to save the wireless configuration with the wrong password, which the Tivo would not allow. It finally occurred to me that after it said the password was wrong, *then* I should switch to wired Ethernet. Now of my 1000 pings, 0 were lost!

OK, one problem down and a laundry list to go. I'm hoping the failure to see the other Tivos resolves by tomorrow.

But, really, the out-of-the-box experience of this Tivo is nothing to be proud of, Tivo Inc.!
Old 11-05-2013, 11:37 PM   #4
moyekj

Yes it's just crazy there's no off setting for wireless. TiVo must be aware there is a problem when switching from wireless to something else but my guess is there is no troubleshooting page related to disabling wireless once you have enabled. To make things simple there SHOULD be an off setting.

As far as seeing other TiVos, now that you have the networking issue resolved I would recommend a reboot of all TiVos and if still no luck then phone home with all of them.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:23 AM   #5
bmgoodman

The Roamio now sees both other Tivos! So another problem resolved. Things are certainly improving!

The Standby thing is a pretty big bother. My Logitech Harmony remote is configured to put one Tivo into Standby when we switch to the other. Those EAS broadcasts screw up too many recordings if we don't use Standby. I don't understand how using the physical button so far *always* works, but using the Tivo button on the remote doesn't.