Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-25-2013, 12:52 PM   #61
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr461 View Post
Wow, I thought we were the only ones who had WHT!! In Queens, we had no cable TV until I think sometime in the late 1980s or even the 90s (I got married in '86 and moved to LI and still no cable there), so I convinced my dad to get this so we could pick up some Met games from SportsChannel. As I recall they showed a handful each month and some movies on a recurring basis.

I feel similarly about this show as you do. The mom is too overdone to the point of annoying. The rest is pretty good with some laughs each week. I really like the real family scenes at the end.
We actually didn't HAVE Wometco, but we were able to see the scramblevision (I think I recall on Ch. 68)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wometco_Home_Theater
Old 10-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #62
Supfreak26
Live Like Noone Else

I really enjoy this show! It has a Wonder Years feel to it even if it's a bit sillier.

Here's what makes me feel old. I remember watching the Wonder Years in the 80's and thinking that the 60's were so long ago. Now I'm watching this show that's based in the 80's and it's even MORE long ago than that!

My kids love this show also. They think the hairstyles and clothes are hilarious. They also can't believe some of the technology that they show and how crazy it is that we had to use it back in the day. Like microfiche. My 13-year-old thought it was insane what we had to go through to do research back in high school and college.

Love the quote from the show: "It only took 2 hours to find it! Amazing!"
Old 10-29-2013, 01:09 PM   #63
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supfreak26 View Post
I really enjoy this show! It has a Wonder Years feel to it even if it's a bit sillier.

Here's what makes me feel old. I remember watching the Wonder Years in the 80's and thinking that the 60's were so long ago. Now I'm watching this show that's based in the 80's and it's even MORE long ago than that!

My kids love this show also. They think the hairstyles and clothes are hilarious. They also can't believe some of the technology that they show and how crazy it is that we had to use it back in the day. Like microfiche. My 13-year-old thought it was insane what we had to go through to do research back in high school and college.

Love the quote from the show: "It only took 2 hours to find it! Amazing!"
I used to love going to the library and looking through old New York Times on microfiche. It was like a look back in time Now with my NY Times subscription I could do the same thing online, at home. Heck, probably on my phone (I haven't tried it yet).
Old 10-29-2013, 02:45 PM   #64
Kablemodem
Get the ketchup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Now with my NY Times subscription I could do the same thing online, at home.
In your underwear.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #65
nickels
opinionated dope

I love that the older kid is always in a vintage Flyers t-shirt, and they also had some Sixers gear on a few episodes ago. While it isn't near the level of Modern Family, it is still amusing and worthy of a Season Pass.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:33 PM   #66
Kablemodem
Get the ketchup.

It has the same vibe as "The Middle." Even the opening clip sequences is similar.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:51 PM   #67
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

The Rubik's cube and "Ghostfellows" costumes were epic!
"Who are you going to telephone?" I love the grandpa character!
Old 10-31-2013, 07:57 AM   #68
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Another really nice episode. I thought Garlin in his limited time on screen was really good. I didn't think the mom was totally over the top this time and in getting to know her character what she did was totally in character for her.

Hulk mad!!

Ratings aren't great, but I think it will stick around. This might be the kind of show that just grows on people. Put this behind MF or The Middle and it probably does better.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:47 AM   #69
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
I enjoyed this episode a lot.

"Getting angry is the only thing Hulk DOES do!"
Old 10-31-2013, 02:04 PM   #70
sharkster

Agree - fun episode. I think the parents (actors who play them) are perfect. I continue to really enjoy little Adam the most, though.

I also like how they show videos and stills from the real Goldberg family at the end.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:55 PM   #71
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I didn't think the mom was totally over the top this time and in getting to know her character what she did was totally in character for her.
I liked this episode, but thought what the mom did WAS totally over the top. Disguise herself and follow her son to a teen party? That's just this side of creepy/stalky. I was cringing so bad my sphincter still hurts.

I realize this is a sitcom, and to even talk about real life instantly makes me insane, but imagine your mom follows you to a party, talks you up to a hawt teen girl, then gets exposed, embarrasses you in front of your peers, and talks about how delicious you are. Over and over.

You would have to move and start your teen life over. Instead he's back at another party 30 minutes later.

Aaah, the sitcom life. I coulda used it when I was 16.

Having said that, I do like this show and it is growing on me. Putting this and Trophy Wife together with MF would have created a strong Wed night comedy block.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:28 PM   #72
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I liked this episode, but thought what the mom did WAS totally over the top. Disguise herself and follow her son to a teen party? That's just this side of creepy/stalky. I was cringing so bad my sphincter still hurts. I realize this is a sitcom, and to even talk about real life instantly makes me insane, but imagine your mom follows you to a party, talks you up to a hawt teen girl, then gets exposed, embarrasses you in front of your peers, and talks about how delicious you are. Over and over. You would have to move and start your teen life over. Instead he's back at another party 30 minutes later. Aaah, the sitcom life. I coulda used it when I was 16. Having said that, I do like this show and it is growing on me. Putting this and Trophy Wife together with MF would have created a strong Wed night comedy block.
Get actions were stupid but what's a sitcom without stupid. They did tone her down in the shrill and loud level so I like it.

In fact, they've addressed the criticisms I had and this is now a solid show.

As for her actions, though. It is possible the real mom did something similar. The episodes seem to be driven by real events. Maybe not quite so over the top.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #73
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

I got caught up on the latest few episodes this weekend. It's such an entertaining show! I love all the little 80's easter eggs. Like Barry was eating Pacman cereal
Old 11-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #74
Bob Coxner

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I liked this episode, but thought what the mom did WAS totally over the top. Disguise herself and follow her son to a teen party? That's just this side of creepy/stalky. I was cringing so bad my sphincter still hurts.

I realize this is a sitcom, and to even talk about real life instantly makes me insane, but imagine your mom follows you to a party, talks you up to a hawt teen girl, then gets exposed, embarrasses you in front of your peers, and talks about how delicious you are. Over and over.
Remember this is a Jewish mother we're talking about. The stereotypes would have her doing even worse. :-)

It just occurred to me that the Jewish angle hasn't really been referenced at all so far (that I remember).
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:46 PM   #75
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
Remember this is a Jewish mother we're talking about. The stereotypes would have her doing even worse. :-)

It just occurred to me that the Jewish angle hasn't really been referenced at all so far (that I remember).
My wife and I (both of us are Jewish) have talked about this. There are certain things that they do and the way they react that are kind of Jewish culturally (hard to describe really). A lot of the "friends" they mention have Jewish last names and things like that. But, it's very subtle. There's no story line about them being Jewish and no mention of them being Jewish. The actors Garlin and Segal are both Jewish, not sure about the rest, so they understand that I'm sure. I do wonder how they will handle the holiday episodes. I like that this is how they chose to do it though. It appeals to a broader base. It's less of an ethnic show than a family show.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:53 PM   #76
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
I was describing this show to my wife (I watch it, she doesn't), and I told her it was a Jewish family from the 80s. Then I realized they have never once brought up religion in this show.

They might be saving the good jokes for sweeps month.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:11 AM   #77
kar74
hi.

I saw it was picked up for another season! :-)
kar74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:12 AM   #78
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kar74 View Post
I saw it was picked up for another season! :-)
I missed that. I did see that it was given a full season order for this season though, which is a good start.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #79
lambertman
Not single!

Just the full season 1 pickup, no season 2 yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:25 AM   #80
kar74
hi.

Ah, I kept seeing it come through my FB feed as being picked up. I guess I assumed it was for a second season. Wishful thinking. ;-)
kar74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:40 AM   #81
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Some friends got me to watch more than just the pilot because they think the show is so great. I guess it's ok, but not something I would continue to watch on my own.
They should probably stick to referencing movies that are actually from the time. According to the last ep I watched, there were only 3 months left in the '80s because it was October 4th and they used "Say Anything" which came out in 1989.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #82
lambertman
Not single!

Coincidentally, Vulture has a story about the time-hopping today.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:44 PM   #83
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertman View Post
Coincidentally, Vulture has a story about the time-hopping today.
Good article. I like that it's about him and his real life situations rather than generic 80s stuff. Funny he mentions The Wonder Years as his favorite show of that time, and this show is a lighter version of that, with a little bit of The Middle mixed in. And you know what? After he explained the time skipping and what he was thinking, I'm fine with it.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #84
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

There is no need to shove the "1980 something" down our throats by using it every episode. It's just a verbal reminder that they don't care about the actual 80s timeline. In fact, I think they should stop putting a date on it in the narration entirely.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:38 PM   #85
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
There is no need to shove the "1980 something" down our throats by using it every episode. It's just a verbal reminder that they don't care about the actual 80s timeline. In fact, I think they should stop putting a date on it in the narration entirely.
It's a new show, and not every one has watched from the beginning. I'd say it's ok to do that for half the season, once it's core audience is built. By January they can stop saying it. So those just watching now will get the idea that they aren't sticking with a strict timeline.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #86
efilippi

I've come to really like this show after what I thought was a bit of shreikiness in the pilot. No laugh track and the joke lines can come very fast, zoom right by, often just a word or two. I can't remember any of them now but I catch myself laughing out loud at various times, thinking 'this is really funny.'
efilippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:41 PM   #87
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

I'm starting to find myself wanting to watch these right away when they come on. Opposed to all the shows piling up on my DVR. It's a quick half-hour show with a ton of laughs.

The part with Adam and Pops in his kimono yesterday was hilarious. So funny! I also enjoyed Murray "programming" the VCR.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #88
nyc13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancnDude View Post
I also enjoyed Murray "programming" the VCR.
Yeah, DirecTV missed out on a prime advertising opportunity during this episode (or maybe they didn't and I just fast-forwarded over it -- only reason I even know about it is after spending the weekend in a hotel without TiVo).
nyc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #89
nickels
opinionated dope

If you have HD and a DVR/TiVo there was a ton of clues in the last episode about the actual year and their exact location. The oldest kid got his license and they showed it clear as a bell. It said they were from Jenkintown PA - even listed the street and house number. Makes sense since they were just at the Willow Grove mall. They showed a SSN, License #, and his DOB was 1969. Since he just got his license he must have been 16, so it was 1985 in that episode regardless of the other references.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:54 AM   #90
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels View Post
If you have HD and a DVR/TiVo there was a ton of clues in the last episode about the actual year and their exact location. The oldest kid got his license and they showed it clear as a bell. It said they were from Jenkintown PA - even listed the street and house number. Makes sense since they were just at the Willow Grove mall. They showed a SSN, License #, and his DOB was 1969. Since he just got his license he must have been 16, so it was 1985 in that episode regardless of the other references.
Except.....the Phillies were in the World Series 2x in the 1980s, 1980 and 1983. So not very consistent is it? (you should know that!!)

As the interview with Adam Goldberg says, he took a lot of random ideas and things that happened to him in the 80s and mashed them together.