TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #1
alleybj

Moca/ethernet port question

I have Moca set up using a Roamio and I have an elite on the Moca network in another room. Can I use the ethernet port on the elite to provide wired internet in that room? I thought that it was supposed to do that, but so far, I'm not having any luck. Thanks
alleybj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #2
JTYoung1

I do not believe that is possible and I've never read anything saying it is. In order for it to do that it would have to function as an Ethernet bridge.
JTYoung1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleybj View Post
I have Moca set up using a Roamio and I have an elite on the Moca network in another room. Can I use the ethernet port on the elite to provide wired internet in that room? I thought that it was supposed to do that, but so far, I'm not having any luck. Thanks
Not only can you, but it works just fine, I have that as the setup in my living room, MoCA comes in to the Premiere XL, it acts as a bridge via its ethernet port and feeds the media center switch. Just set it for MoCA +Ethernet.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #4
BigJimOutlaw

Yes this can be done and should be working. What are you connecting to the Elite?

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 11-04-2013 at 10:09 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:18 PM   #5
dcrowell77

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Not only can you, but it works just fine, I have that as the setup in my living room, MoCA comes in to the Premiere XL, it acts as a bridge via its ethernet port and feeds the media center switch. Just set it for MoCA +Ethernet.
What kind of speed do you get over the bridge? I'm not getting any better than my wireless.
dcrowell77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:42 AM   #6
alleybj

I can only get it to work sporadically; to be clear, I'm not using the ethernet port on the Roamio (which is where the Moca network is initiated) but rather on an elite in another room. I'm connecting my computer directly to the port with an ethernet cable. It shows as having a connection to the internet, but web pages take forever to load and frequently don't. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. thanks
Old 11-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #7
Teeps

Have you tried using a different (new) coax cable between the TiVo?
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #8
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleybj View Post
I can only get it to work sporadically; to be clear, I'm not using the ethernet port on the Roamio (which is where the Moca network is initiated) but rather on an elite in another room. I'm connecting my computer directly to the port with an ethernet cable. It shows as having a connection to the internet, but web pages take forever to load and frequently don't. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. thanks
If you're trying to connect to your local network from the Elite, but you're not using the Ethernet port on the Roamio, where is the MoCA sub-network being bridged to your Ethernet LAN (router, etc)? You may be able to transfer video between two MoCA-capable TiVo units on an isolated MoCA hookup, but if you want it to connect to the rest of your LAN, you have to use the bridging feature somewhere to cross-connect Ethernet to MoCA.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #9
alleybj

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
If you're trying to connect to your local network from the Elite, but you're not using the Ethernet port on the Roamio, where is the MoCA sub-network being bridged to your Ethernet LAN (router, etc)? You may be able to transfer video between two MoCA-capable TiVo units on an isolated MoCA hookup, but if you want it to connect to the rest of your LAN, you have to use the bridging feature somewhere to cross-connect Ethernet to MoCA.
Sorry, I misspoke. I am using the ethernet port on my Roamio to access my LAN, but am not having any luck using the ethernet port on my Elite as an additional access port to the LAN. Thanks
Old 11-05-2013, 04:21 PM   #10
alleybj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
Have you tried using a different (new) coax cable between the TiVo?
I haven't, but the Elite itself accesses the internet (Netflix and Hulu Plus) with no problem, so I thought the coaxial connection should be good.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #11
alleybj

Problem Solved

It does indeed work. Turns out my computer did not have DHCP enabled for the local network. Thanks