Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-04-2013, 12:16 AM   #1
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

60 Minutes 11/3/13: Guantanamo Bay, Lamborghini, college football coach

Anyone watch?

If anyone wants to learn more about what goes on at Gitmo, I remember seeing a documentary on TV about it before. I'm pretty sure it was National Geographic: Inside Guantanamo. It is available on Netflix streaming...

I liked the Lamborghini piece but it seemed more like corporate PR fluff, which I'm sure parent VW liked. I've seen other documentaries on Lambo production before.

Last edited by cwerdna : 11-04-2013 at 01:14 AM.
cwerdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:08 AM   #2
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwerdna View Post
Anyone watch?

If anyone wants to learn more about what goes on at Gitmo, I remember seeing a documentary on TV about it before. I'm pretty sure it was National Geographic: Inside Guantanamo. It is available on Netflix streaming...

I liked the Lamborghini piece but it seemed more like corporate PR fluff, which I'm sure parent VW liked. I've seen other documentaries on Lambo production before.
I think the Gitmo story was less about Gitmo and more about how our legal system is being co-opted to make sure these terrorist are found guilty. If what the defense lawyers say is true, if this were say a simple case of bank robbery, the case would probably be thrown out. It's an interesting conundrum. Do you bend the law in certain circumstances when the people are extra bad? Who decides that? (not that I don't think these terrorists should fry, but it's an interesting legal battle).

The Lambo story....yeah, corporate fluff..but man those cars are gorgeous!!!

Nick Saban? Funny I always thought he was the son of the former Buffalo Bills coach Lou Saban, but I guess not. It's funny how the same coaches who are horrible pro coaches can wind up being such great college coaches. Good for him, but I don't know, I didn't find him all that interesting. His story seemed the same of so many coaches I've heard about. Nothing really very unusual about him that warranted a 60 Minutes story.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #3
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

I found the stuff about the cameras and the eavesdropping priceless.

The fact they have 'cameras' with the manufacturers name on them. The lawyer looks up their product line and sees that they are fake cameras that are microphones. So the CIA admits it. Priceless.

Then the red light classified warning switch that only the Judge and Assistant can activate. During a hearing, th light comes on, neither did it and they figure out the CIA is listening too. Priceless
Tivo (S2-retired, 500gb HD, 2 units)
TivoHD (2tb HD, chip mod, 2 units)
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Tivo Premiere4 (2tb (JMFS) HD)
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:00 PM   #4
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhu View Post

The fact they have 'cameras' with the manufacturers name on them. The lawyer looks up their product line and sees that they are fake cameras that are microphones. So the CIA admits it. Priceless.

Then the red light classified warning switch that only the Judge and Assistant can activate. During a hearing, th light comes on, neither did it and they figure out the CIA is listening too. Priceless
And with all of that, do you think these guys have any chance of winning their cases? I doubt it.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
And with all of that, do you think these guys have any chance of winning their cases? I doubt it.
Of course not. I do think that stacking the cards like they are trying though, does make our justice system look foolish.

Either win fair and square by the constitution and normal DOJ rules or declared they are military tribunals and will follow a specific set of rules. Don't hide sound equipment against rules, deny it, until caught, then admit it.

The gov't seems to be weakening the rules of our society and then admitting it when caught.
Tivo (S2-retired, 500gb HD, 2 units)
TivoHD (2tb HD, chip mod, 2 units)
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Tivo Premiere4 (2tb (JMFS) HD)
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Of course not. I do think that stacking the cards like they are trying though, does make our justice system look foolish.

Either win fair and square by the constitution and normal DOJ rules or declared they are military tribunals and will follow a specific set of rules. Don't hide sound equipment against rules, deny it, until caught, then admit it.

The gov't seems to be weakening the rules of our society and then admitting it when caught.
I agree. While I want these guys dead, I think it's a slippery slope when you start to circumvent the legal system. It's not the first time we've done it, but usually we're more public about it. Ask Japanese Americans held without their will during WWII what they think about it. At least we were upfront about it that time.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #7
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Quote:

The fact they have 'cameras' with the manufacturers name on them.
'Smoke Detectors.'
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #8
mm2margaret
Meagan

The Gitmo piece was at least interesting. The rest? No interest......puff and promotion and not something I would want to watch.

60 minutes has gone downhill of late.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:06 PM   #9
mattack

60 minutes has done "fluff" stories for decades (as long as I've been watching).. lots of celebrity interviews in the past, etc..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:42 AM   #10
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I don't mind the puff pieces every so often, so long as they are interesting. I found the car piece at least mildly interesting. Coach Saban, not at all. And I'm a sports fan. He just seemed like every other successful coach I've seen pieces on. Demanding, soft side for charity work. Wife that sticks by him despite the long hours the job requires. That describes probably half the coaches in football. His background wasn't even all that interesting to me.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:00 AM   #11
BluesFools

I only caught this because they were running late, but I saw the Lambos and called over my car-crazy teenage son to watch. Afterward he said "Wow. Somehow they managed to make Lamborghinis boring".
BluesFools is offline   Reply With Quote