TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-04-2013, 08:58 PM   #1
abobrow

Cablecard install screen pops up unexpectedly

Is anyone else having this problem?

1, when I tune to any of my HBO channels, the cablecard installer screen pops up. Then when I hit "Clear" to clear the screen, I get a V58 error (channel not available or something like that). Numerous calls to Verizon have turned up nothing. Yes, Verizon has me authorized for those channels.

2, the cablecard installer screen also pops up at random intervals when watching any other channel, or when watching recorded programs. And when I hit "Clear" it returns me to whatever I was watching with no further problems.

Have tried two new cablecards, same problem. Cablecard model numbers are current.
abobrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:05 PM   #2
uw69

I've had that happen before I got the my cable card paired with the Roamio.
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
3 TiVo Mini's
uw69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
mattack

Check the cable card info screen to make sure it's paired correctly.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:43 PM   #4
abobrow

How will I know it's paired correctly? Will the screen have any useful information? I have been on with Verizon a few times. Each time they reset the card a couple times, un-pair it, re-pair it, do lots of voodoo on their end, and still the same. They sent a new cablecard and it's the same problem. I'm trying to figure out if this is more likely a Verizon issue or a Roamio issue. I've used tivos with cablecards for years and never seen this before.

Edit: Also of note: all my other premium channels work fine. I would assume that means it's paired correctly, but maybe not?

Last edited by abobrow : 11-04-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:56 PM   #5
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

On Verizon FiOS use CH 131, if you get it properly, it's paired, if you get the CableCARD screen it's not.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:56 PM   #6
Jesse.D

It might be this, hopefully not:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=507973

Jesse - CCNA R&S
---
People say the road to Hell is paved with good intentions.
Why? Do they think there's a shortage or bad ones?
Jesse.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:29 PM   #7
mrbubbles

I have FIOS and saw this behavior before I paired my CC. I moved it from a TiVoHD to my new Roamio. All channels worked without contacting Verizon except the HBO channels. SHO and others were fine. A quick online chat with Verizon and they paired the card and HBO then worked. I actually had to get a replacement Roamio and repeat the process but both times, it was very simple chat with verizon to resolve.
mrbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:10 AM   #8
abobrow

Out of curiosity, why did you have to replace your Roamio? Mine worked fine for a couple weeks, then this behavior started.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:38 AM   #9
uw69

In my case a paired cable card is required to get premium channels (HBO, Showtime ect) just an activated cable card is required for everything else.
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
3 TiVo Mini's
uw69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:47 AM   #10
mrbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by abobrow View Post
Out of curiosity, why did you have to replace your Roamio? Mine worked fine for a couple weeks, then this behavior started.
Assuming you are asking me, my cablecard and normal DVR functionality was fine but the streaming in my Roamio Plus was freezing/disconnecting after 10 min or less typically. I watched the status webpage and pinged the stream IP and I could see it drop/reboot when I lost connection in the app. We swapped the hardware and all is good.

It is strange that your cablecard setup worked for some time then stopped. That is not normal. If Verizon says it is really paired and you believe them, then I guess it could be the tivo (hw or sw). I still think it is Verizon but if you aren't getting anywhere, maybe you can buy another roamio at bestbuy or somewhere local, and see if Verizon can pair with it. Then return when you are done with your test. Sucks but it is an option that won't cost any money.
mrbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #11
modnar

Quote:
2, the cablecard installer screen also pops up at random intervals when watching any other channel, or when watching recorded programs. And when I hit "Clear" it returns me to whatever I was watching with no further problems.
I've seen this behavior when the TiVo tries to tune to a copy protected (via CCI flag) channel to record a suggestion or scheduled recording before my card was paired correctly.
modnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:10 PM   #12
Ziggie

Quote:
Is anyone else having this problem?

1, when I tune to any of my HBO channels, the cablecard installer screen pops up. Then when I hit "Clear" to clear the screen, I get a V58 error (channel not available or something like that). Numerous calls to Verizon have turned up nothing. Yes, Verizon has me authorized for those channels.

Have tried two new cablecards, same problem. Cablecard model numbers are current.
YES!! We've been having a very similar problem for months now. When we hit "clear" it returns a "V58" error.

And I want to add.. we don't own a Roamio. This is happening on our Premiere, which we've had for years (and trouble free I might add).

TiVo is the boss of me ~ Member of the TiVo family since 2003

Ziggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:47 PM   #13
abobrow

Well I'm posting an update which is good news, but still baffling. After several frustrating calls to verizon tech support I just let the issue go. I was too busy to keep troubleshooting this and I figured since it was only HBO I could use HBOGO to watch those shows.

Anyway, today I finally had the time and energy to call back and re-start the troubleshooting process with Verizon. One call to their automated support line and the issue is resolved. The automated system just did a simple reset, which is something they've done at least six times before with no result. This time it worked.

I don't know what to make of this, other than sometimes a reset fixes it and sometimes it does not. So my advice is just keep trying.