TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-03-2013, 10:33 PM   #1
tvmaster2

Top Gear U.S. on History - Season Four

the first three years had way more flops than successes, but has anyone been watching series four? It's almost as if the Brits have taken over production...just watched the amphibious show (ep 6), where a trip from Buffalo to Toronto via Lake Ontario was pretty damn funny. Sure, it was a rip of the U.K. version, but I laughed thru most of it...
tvmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:26 PM   #2
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

I still don't care for the American version. I don't like the format of the show; I prefer the way the UK show has a mix of serious car reviews, car news, and "faffing about" all surrounded by the studio segments. I understand that the US version is sort of forced into the format that they have because of the limited time available in each episode, but I still don't like it.

I also don't think the US hosts are any good at all, and I don't think they've gotten one bit better over the four seasons. They should have chosen some people who have significant experience as on-air presenters.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:07 AM   #3
Worf

Probably an audience thing - remember Top Gear UK was sued by Tesla for faking a part of the review. The UK courts found that since Top Gear is not a serious show, no one should take what gets shown seriously and exaggerations and misrepresentations are to be expected because it's not real.

Of course, American audiences tend to prefer cruder and more overt comedy and humor, so that's why Top Gear US is so much different. Subtle British humor tends to escape notice.

Which when you consider the kind of people who watch History these days, is probably a good thing.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:56 AM   #4
tvmaster2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Of course, American audiences tend to prefer cruder and more overt comedy and humor, so that's why Top Gear US is so much different. Subtle British humor tends to escape notice.

Which when you consider the kind of people who watch History these days, is probably a good thing.
If you think the humour (at least spell it right, yeah?) on TG U.K. is subtle, well..ok. I believe Jeremy Clarkson drove a dead cow strapped to his roof once...and then there was the Florida episode. Americans came off well during that show. Subtle? hmmmm.
But I know what you mean - I've watched TG U.K. since the beginning, and like all American versions of Brit tele, they 'overproduce'.
As for History Channel, yes, license applications in this country tend to be just a suggestion (see The Learning Channel - lol). There are good shows on Fox from time to time, but blaming viewers of those shows for the morons who watch Fox News wouldn't be fair
Where TG U.S. initially (and somewhat still) failed, was the selection of hosts. They tried desperately to represent a cross-section of the American male auto fan, as opposed to three guys with chemistry. And they initially copied the Brit format right down to the 'star in a car' and the news segment, but the three guys just couldn't handle that.
But what's interesting about both entries above is, I'm not clear either one of you saw this episode. Fascinating.
Let us know if you guys have seen any of Season Four - it's improved. Obviously not up to the standard of TG U.K., but improved nonetheless.

Last edited by tvmaster2 : 11-04-2013 at 02:12 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #5
billboard_NE
North Shore MA

I enjoy the challenge only format, Rutledge makes me laugh.

If I only watched shows that were in the same class or better than TG UK, my Tivo would be pretty much empty.
billboard_NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #6
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I've been enjoying this season, but I miss the previous format. I preferred when they would review cars and have the Stig racing the cars around the test track. I also liked seeing the celebs race around the track, although it would have been better with a better car. The studio audience was pointless.

I've never had a problem with the US hosts as I don't have any experienc with the UK version to compare them to. I don't particularly like Adam Ferrara, but I think Tanner and Rut do a great job and both know their cars very well.

The Can Cars Float? episode had some hilarious moments when
Spoiler:
Tanner and Adam's cars both sunk in Lake Ontario.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #7
tvmaster2

Quote:
Originally Posted by billboard_NE View Post
I enjoy the challenge only format, Rutledge makes me laugh.

If I only watched shows that were in the same class or better than TG UK, my Tivo would be pretty much empty.
lol - I hear ya. I think of that every time I watch 'The IT Crowd' - no one here had a clue...and the U.S. pilot was pretty weak.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:08 PM   #8
mattack

I don't think I've watched many this season, but I do think the U.S. version is entertaining, and I'm not a car person.

Though it does seem WAY MORE STAGED than any of the reality shows people keep saying are staged. e.g. the competitions where they 'just' barely pass each other at the very end, or you get a great shot of one guy passing the other, etc.. Still has funny jokes even if they're all written.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:15 AM   #9
RonDawg

While still not up to par with the UK version, the US version has gotten better than the first season. Although a rehash of what was already done by the Brits (in their case, crossing the English Channel to France) I still enjoyed it. My favorite so far this season was the race between Tanner in the rally car, Rutledge in the Bentley, and Adam in the speedboat along/in the Snake River.

Someone said in a discussion about one of the early episodes that it would take a while for these three to settle into a groove. As far as I can tell, the groove is:
  • Tanner -- juvenile race boy who thinks that faster is always better, no matter the situation . Witness his entry in the last segment -- a Plymouth Conquest/Mitsubishi Starion turned into a boat (dubbed the TurBoat).
  • Rutledge -- Definitely a taste for the quirky, with particular emphasis on VW.
  • Adam -- a penchant for Detroit land barges, a good thing since he tends to destroy everything.

RonDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:16 AM   #10
tvmaster2

I particularly enjoyed the bit with the Canadian Coastguard:
"when you get to Toronto, you'll need passports, you know?"
Hysterical bit of pre-arranged comedy.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #11
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
The Can Cars Float? episode had some hilarious moments when
Spoiler:
Tanner and Adam's cars both sunk in Lake Ontario.
The big shock for me was...
Spoiler:
just how quickly Adam's went down.

That was almost spooky!

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

Xbox Live: ClutchBrake
ClutchBrake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #12
Bob Coxner

I'll put in a good word for Fifth Gear. It's Brit. Good chemistry among the hosts, including a nice looking girl. It's much more oriented to true gearheads than TG. There is humor but it's mostly just banter rather than the slapstick of TG.
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:17 AM   #13
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Yes, Fifth Gear is quite good as well. I've always liked Tiff, and the other hosts are quite good as well.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:58 AM   #14
Fl_Gulfer
Tivo's R Us

Both shows are good in there own way but I have to say the Caravan Show a couple seasons ago from the UK version almost gave me a heart attack from laughing it had to be one of the funniest episodes of any show.
DirecTV Genie
2 DirecTV HR24 HD DVR
Fl_Gulfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #15
RonDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Yes, Fifth Gear is quite good as well. I've always liked Tiff, and the other hosts are quite good as well.
I like 5th Gear for its content, though Tiff does come off as a bit arrogant at times. Vicki (and now, Jason) do tend to keep his ego in check.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #16
tvmaster2

with both Fifth Gear and Top Gear U.K. at our disposals, the U.S. version has a lot to live up to. I read TG UK spends 2M $ per episode!!! Really?
Old 11-06-2013, 01:42 AM   #17
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

Fifth Gear is nice for its technical content but Tiff and Plato are a bore. They come across as exceedingly privileged in a less than flattering way. Great drivers though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:24 AM   #18
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
I read TG UK spends 2M $ per episode!!! Really?
That seems a bit high for an average week's show; but I could certainly believe it if that averages in the costs of each season's destination/special episode.

$12 - $16 million a season, including the special, spread over only 6 - 8 episodes certainly seems plausable.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #19
DUDE_NJX

It's still cheaper than a 20-minute sitcom episode in the U.S.
DUDE_NJX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #20
RonDawg

This week's episode on the electric cars was mostly boring...probably not surprising given the cars

The 1/4 mile times with the specialty all-electric race cars, the Tesla review at the end were entertaining. Rutledge's 57 MPH Leaf in reverse was mildly interesting (and obviously the car was modified to allow that). But the shopping mall drive-thru and the late night escape from the house were poor imitations of similar scenes from the UK version.

They could have done a better challenge though that was suited to the range limitations of those cars. If you go too fast, your range economy drops and you become a DNF. The UK boys did that a few years back in their diesel car challenge from Basel, Switzerland to Blackpool, UK.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:44 PM   #21
tvmaster2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl_Gulfer View Post
Both shows are good in there own way but I have to say the Caravan Show a couple seasons ago from the UK version almost gave me a heart attack from laughing it had to be one of the funniest episodes of any show.
There were two Caravan shows - the "fire" show, and the flying caravan show - they were both hysterical
Old 11-07-2013, 09:51 PM   #22
mattack

Quote:
with both Fifth Gear and Top Gear U.K. at our disposals
My usual rant -- aren't the BBC America runs edited? Answering myself: I seem to remember hearing that the VERY first run of NEW episodes isn't edited, but then further runs (I think even in the same week and definitely later runs) are edited.

*Hopefully* the online versions aren't edited, though I seem to remember they have lots of weird omissions (partial seasons for example). Hmm, I thought they were on Prime Instant Video, but maybe I'm misremembering and it's Netflix that they're on.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:20 PM   #23
tvmaster2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
My usual rant -- aren't the BBC America runs edited? Answering myself: I seem to remember hearing that the VERY first run of NEW episodes isn't edited, but then further runs (I think even in the same week and definitely later runs) are edited.

*Hopefully* the online versions aren't edited, though I seem to remember they have lots of weird omissions (partial seasons for example). Hmm, I thought they were on Prime Instant Video, but maybe I'm misremembering and it's Netflix that they're on.
if you know where to look, you can find the unedited BBC versions, it's EZ actually. Essentially, the U.K. versions aren't a fixed length, contain some language that might get bonked from the U.S. version, possibly some music rights cuts (money and royalties), and some British guests and references that Americans wouldn't understand get cut for time as well. Same thing happens to 'The Graham Norton Show'.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:08 AM   #24
RonDawg

Quote:

I don't know about the other online sources for Top Gear UK, but the episodes I purchased from iTunes (because U-Verse still doesn't have BBC-A in HD) are the full as seen-in-the-UK version.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:28 AM   #25
Bob Coxner

Quote:
if you know where to look, you can find the unedited BBC versions, it's EZ actually. Essentially, the U.K. versions aren't a fixed length, contain some language that might get bonked from the U.S. version, possibly some music rights cuts (money and royalties), and some British guests and references that Americans wouldn't understand get cut for time as well. Same thing happens to 'The Graham Norton Show'.
It's not all that secret about where to look. These are not pirated torrents. Top Gear and Fifth Gear have given tacit approval for them to be posted. You can get every episode (as shown in the UK), every season.

http://www.finalgear.com/shows/topgear/
DirecTV since 1999
Old 11-08-2013, 10:18 PM   #26
mattack

"tacit approval"? That doesn't sound ironclad. Did the BBC give them legal permission?
Old 11-09-2013, 07:59 AM   #27
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
It's not all that secret about where to look. These are not pirated torrents. Top Gear and Fifth Gear have given tacit approval for them to be posted. You can get every episode (as shown in the UK), every season.

http://www.finalgear.com/shows/topgear/
They are definitely pirated, there's no doubt about that. The people behind the shows clearly know about the site, have even acknowledged it from time to time, but that doesn't change that they are definitely pirating the videos.

Quote:
"tacit approval"? That doesn't sound ironclad. Did the BBC give them legal permission?
No. (Although Fifth Gear wouldn't need BBC approval; that's a Discovery Networks show, originally a Channel 5 show.)

Last edited by LoadStar : 11-09-2013 at 08:05 AM.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:42 AM   #28
Bob Coxner

tacˇit ˈtasit adjective

understood or implied without being stated.
"your silence may be taken to mean tacit agreement"
DirecTV since 1999
Old 11-09-2013, 01:53 PM   #29
tvmaster2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonDawg View Post
I don't know about the other online sources for Top Gear UK, but the episodes I purchased from iTunes (because U-Verse still doesn't have BBC-A in HD) are the full as seen-in-the-UK version.
cool - that's the way to go to be safe