TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 69 votes, 4.93 average.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #1291
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kduffey View Post
pulled Roamio out of box, opened and removed 1Gb
Pulled WD out of box, hooked to Roamio

Plugged in - everyhting new, never started before
"Welcome - starting up"
never changed in 12 hours (I thought maybe it was formatting the 3Tb drive so I went to bed)

Put the 1Tb back in and it started up fine.

Lowlevel formatted the 3Tb to see if it needed to be cleared
No difference

Any ideas?
My Roamio Plus took a 2Tb drive without any problems, never tried a 3Tb but others have said that it works.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:22 PM   #1292
uw69

Quote:
pulled Roamio out of box, opened and removed 1Gb
Pulled WD out of box, hooked to Roamio

Plugged in - everyhting new, never started before
"Welcome - starting up"
never changed in 12 hours (I thought maybe it was formatting the 3Tb drive so I went to bed)

Put the 1Tb back in and it started up fine.

Lowlevel formatted the 3Tb to see if it needed to be cleared
No difference

Any ideas?
Which drive did you use? 3TB WD-AV drive works fine. Maybe a bad drive.
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
3 TiVo Mini's
uw69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:41 PM   #1293
kduffey

Quote:
Originally Posted by uw69 View Post
Which drive did you use? 3TB WD-AV drive works fine. Maybe a bad drive.
WD AV-GP Its the model mentioned a number of times WD30EURS 3Tb

The drive appears on my mac as a unformatted, no volumes etc 3Tb drive. Bios Diags run through it fine
kduffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:55 AM   #1294
Devx

Quote:

The drive appears on my mac as a unformatted, no volumes etc 3Tb drive. Bios Diags run through it fine
Replace the drive with a different one if possible. It takes only a few moments (minutes, not hours) to prepare the new (3TB) drive and display guided setup.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #1295
emerz

Quote:

After upgrading my WD AV-GP 3TB in a Roamio Basic, Windows, True Image, Disk Director and Ubuntu 13 all showed it as a blank drive with no partitions. I knew this was incorrect as I had recorded at least 40 shows on it.

I used the LL Format Tool at HD Guru to clear the drive back to "factory new".
emerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #1296
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerz View Post
Your drive must be bad.
I agree. I installed one of these in September as soon as I got my Roamio Pro (before ever booting it up). It's been working great.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:20 PM   #1297
unitron

Quote:
After upgrading my WD AV-GP 3TB in a Roamio Basic, Windows, True Image, Disk Director and Ubuntu 13 all showed it as a blank drive with no partitions. I knew this was incorrect as I had recorded at least 40 shows on it.

Well those programs/OSes were probably looking for a DOS-type MBR, not an Apple-type bootpage and partition map, so they just assumed that what they saw in sector 0 was random bytes.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:58 PM   #1298
emerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Well those programs/OSes were probably looking for a DOS-type MBR, not an Apple-type bootpage and partition map, so they just assumed that what they saw in sector 0 was random bytes.
unitron, thanks for the clarification. I always thought that Tivo used a Linux partition map and Ubuntu or Disk Director should have been able to see it. I guess I was still thinking about my popcorn.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:58 PM   #1299
sleepdragon

After play with Roamio Plus for about a week, I have decide to keep it and want to upgrade the harddrive with a WD AV-GP 3TB.
If I don't mind losing the recordings I currently have (not a lot anyway) and don't mind doing the setup again, is the upgrade as simply as drop in a new drive?
Will I need to re-pair the cable card with cable company?
Also, when I did my Premier upgrade to 2TB, there was an option to expand the drive, guess it is not currently available with the Roamio right?
sleepdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:42 PM   #1300
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepdragon View Post
After play with Roamio Plus for about a week, I have decide to keep it and want to upgrade the harddrive with a WD AV-GP 3TB.
If I don't mind losing the recordings I currently have (not a lot anyway) and don't mind doing the setup again, is the upgrade as simply as drop in a new drive?
Will I need to re-pair the cable card with cable company?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepdragon View Post
Also, when I did my Premier upgrade to 2TB, there was an option to expand the drive, guess it is not currently available with the Roamio right?
No, You would not even need to connect the drives to a PC. It will use the full size of the drive (unlike earlier models.)

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #1301
lentiman
Ocassional User

I'm going to repost the Roamio Pro deal below as it makes buying a separate 3TB drive unnecessary. See below:

Hey! I just ordered a Roamio Pro from ABT. They price matched the TiVo deal at $100 off. So $499 with no tax and no shipping. I tried at two different best buy locations last night and got shot down both times. No problem at ABT. FYI, if you are thinking of getting a Roamio Plus and swapping for a 3TB hard drive then this deal has the equivalent cost with no hassle and gives you an intact warranty.
lentiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:11 PM   #1302
kduffey

Ok, something was weird with the Other AV-GP I used. I ordered a new 3Tb, plopped in it into my Roamio Plus- 5 mins from open box to guided setup screen. Must have been the 1st drive.

I then put the first one into my synology NAS for my PC and bang, 3Tb with no issues. Weirdest thing. I use hdguru to LL it and everything - but no go on the roamio. I did full diags on it and its 100%.
Anyways, it works, Roamio 3Tb is in my rack and I also I have 3Tb more storage in my NAS - shrug, all good.

Last edited by kduffey : 11-06-2013 at 09:19 PM.
kduffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #1303
Wpfma

Newbie question HD replacement

I will be getting rid of my fios dvr and replacing it with the roamio plus. I have a
WD AV-GP 2 TB AV that I have been using as an extension drive with my fios dvr. I have read through the posts and i am not sure if i can just drop in my 2 TB or does it need to be formatted first.

If any one has any knowledge about this i would appreciate it. Just want to be prepared so as to be up and running quickly so my wife doesn't kill me because there is no cable access.
Wpfma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #1304
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpfma View Post
I will be getting rid of my fios dvr and replacing it with the roamio plus. I have a
WD AV-GP 2 TB AV that I have been using as an extension drive with my fios dvr. I have read through the posts and i am not sure if i can just drop in my 2 TB or does it need to be formatted first.

If any one has any knowledge about this i would appreciate it. Just want to be prepared so as to be up and running quickly so my wife doesn't kill me because there is no cable access.
Just drop it in before you even turn on your new Tivo Roamio. It will format and setup the drive for you
Surrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #1305
Wpfma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealone View Post
Just drop it in before you even turn on your new Tivo Roamio. It will format and setup the drive for you
Thanks for the fast reply. Thats great. A lot easier than when i upgraded my replay tvs years ago with disc images etc.
Wpfma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:14 PM   #1306
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

No problem. Yes if you put the drive in before you even start the setup it will save you the time and trouble of doing the setup twice. But keep the factory drive in a safe place just in case
Old 11-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #1307
ltxi

Quote:

Thanks for the tip! Had to replace one of my two 3TB upgraded Roamio Plus units after a few days of operation for a non drive related infant mortality problem. Tried just reusing the drive in the new unit....unexpectedly worked fine except the TSN came up zeroed out. Ran the LL format tool and all is happy now.
ltxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #1308
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
....unexpectedly worked fine except the TSN came up zeroed out. Ran the LL format tool and all is happy now.
You could have just done Clear & Delete Everything and that would marry the drive to the Tivo and clean up the TSN issue.

~~~~~

Old 11-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #1309
ltxi

Maybe I'll try that first next time. But on the Roamios if I can't preserve anything I kinda like the idea of starting over with a functionally bare drive.
ltxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:34 AM   #1310
chrispitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
Maybe I'll try that first next time. But on the Roamios if I can't preserve anything I kinda like the idea of starting over with a functionally bare drive.
So there isn't a way to upgrade and keep the recordings on the Roamio? I started reading through this thread to find out. By page 11, I decided to punt and ask.
chrispitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:40 PM   #1311
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispitude View Post

So there isn't a way to upgrade and keep the recordings on the Roamio? I started reading through this thread to find out. By page 11, I decided to punt and ask.
Well, your punt went outta bounds, so keep reading!

While I haven't had to swap drives because I bought a Pro initially, I have read all the posts here and I don't recall seeing anywhere that they've said you can preserve recordings other than copying them over to your PC, authorizing and setting up your new TiVo, and then copying them back.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #1312
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispitude View Post
So there isn't a way to upgrade and keep the recordings on the Roamio? I started reading through this thread to find out.
The only way would be to copy/transfer the recordings to a PC/MAC/another Tivo and copy back after the upgrade. The involved Tivos must be subscribed to Tivo service to work.

~~~~~

Old 11-11-2013, 03:21 PM   #1313
aryndub

"regular" (non-AV) 2TB green WD20EARS with Roamio Plus

I have a 2TB "regular green" (non-AV), WD20EARS, that I currently use in my Windows Media Center box as the main hard drive for storing recordings. I'm moving away from the system and just ordered a Roamio Plus and a few minis for my bedrooms.

I was hoping to re-purpose the drive the 2TB drive for the Roamio Plus. I've read so many conflicting things about whether or not the non-AV green drive will work well. Some have mentioned disabling Intellipark, changing the park idle time to 300seconds and various other items... should the drive work just fine without any additional modifications or should I try and disable the idle time?

Thanks.
aryndub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #1314
mchief
Morey

I put a WD20EARS in my plus a couple of weeks ago and all is well.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:39 PM   #1315
emerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
You could have just done Clear & Delete Everything and that would marry the drive to the Tivo and clean up the TSN issue.
Last time I did a C&D on a HD it took about 6 hours to complete. LL Format took about 5 seconds.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #1316
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Last time I did a C&D on a HD it took about 6 hours to complete. LL Format took about 5 seconds.
You stumbled into a Roamio thread, where the hardware is zip-zapity-fast.

There's really no way to even compare a TiVo HD, except: "really slow".
Old 11-12-2013, 05:38 PM   #1317
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Looking for a little feedback if anybody has tried this drive yet?
Make
WD
Model
WDBH2D0030HNC-NRSN
It's not a AV drive but is that ok?
Old 11-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #1318
aryndub

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchief View Post
I put a WD20EARS in my plus a couple of weeks ago and all is well.
Did you do anything special to the drive (disable Intellipark, etc.) or just stick it in and let Tivo do it's thing?
aryndub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #1319
mchief
Morey

Nothing done to the drive i.e, intellipark. Took it back to raw (looks like a new drive) using Windows Computer Management and put it in the Tivo - Tivo formatted and away we went.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:30 AM   #1320
PLargent

I am about to go from FIOS with a CISCO DVR (Hate it) with ~2TB of disk to a my first TiVo, a new ROAMIO on FIOS. I want to max out the disk space so I get something that will last me the next few years. After reading this thread and looking at the weaKnees web site I think that the "Seagate Video 3.5 HDD 4TB ST4000VM000" is the largest option available. The 4tb drive can be found for less than $200 on Amazon and other places. WeaKnees seems to think this drive will work both internally and externally so I could order a second external drive when the first internal one fills up.

The process sounds simple enough.
1. Buy a Roamio Plus (plus a TiVo warranty, lifetime TiVo subscription, & FIOS cable card)
2. Throw out the small drive in the Plus and replace with the new 4TB large drive.
3. Cross fingers, power up the Roamio Plus, and activate via the welcome screens.
4. Pay the large visa bill

I am planning to buy it when the black Friday adds are out so I can shop for the best deal. Other than being a little iffy on the TIVO warranty with a non-standard drive in the Roamio, am I missing something? Has anyone put this drive in a Roamio with any success?

FYI: Here is where I got this info:
http://www.weaknees.com/details2/rd4t0ropl.php
http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard...-hdd/#features
http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Video-...ds=ST4000VM000
PLargent is offline   Reply With Quote