TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
IowaGuy

Okay please spell it out for a Noobie

Hello to all the experienced Tivo users....

I plead (!!) for your help....

Here is what I have:

Roamio Basic (hardwired ethernet and coaxial cable connection). This unit is setup fine.

Trying to connect my Tivo Mini... I assume I cannot just plug my coaxial cable connection in and expect it to work off the bat.

Can anybody please tell me the specific equipment I would need to get this to run? I don't have a readily available ethernet cable to simply plug the Tivo Mini into.

Any help would be have my deepest gratitude.

All my best,
Noobie Matt
IowaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

The Mini has MoCa built in but the Roamio Basic does not. So you have two options...

1) Hard wire the Mini to your Ethernet network.

2) Buy a MoCa bridge...

https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/moca

Then connect it to your Ethernet network and then enable MoCa on the Mini. It doesn't matter where the MoCa bridge is in your house as long as it's somewhere that you have access to both coax and Ethernet.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
IowaGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
The Mini has MoCa built in but the Roamio Basic does not. So you have two options...

1) Hard wire the Mini to your Ethernet network.

2) Buy a MoCa bridge...

https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/moca

Then connect it to your Ethernet network and then enable MoCa on the Mini. It doesn't matter where the MoCa bridge is in your house as long as it's somewhere that you have access to both coax and Ethernet.
Thank you! I was hearing different things... Tivo tech support said the Mini didn't have MoCa capability.

So to sum up.. ONE MoCa adapter connected to ANYWHERE on my network and I should be set? The MoCa adapter would need 1 connection VIA ethernet and 1 connection VIA coaxial cable connection?

THANK YOU so much!!
IowaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:06 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yes. The MoCa adapter bridges the MoCa network from the coax to the Ethernet. Once you have that hooked up then the Mini will be able to connect to your network just by plugging coax into it and setting it to MoCa mode.

Edit: FYI if you have FIOS then you don't even need the MoCa adapter. The FIOS has MoCa built in so you should be able to just setup your MiNi to use MoCa and be done with it.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote