TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.00 average.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:51 PM   #151
MisterWho

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
While Iw as at it I verified that using the old 1000MHz (1GHz) splitter WILL NOT WORK with the MoCA signal.
Until I changed out my 1000MHz splitter with one rated to 2400MHz, I could not get the mini to keep a connection. I hadn't thought to do this earlier as I had read over and over that 1000MHz was good enough. Yes, it could have been a bad splitter but it was only 3 yrs. old and originally installed by Comcast (decent quality I would hope) so it hadn't given me any problems otherwise with my cable modem or picture quality.
MisterWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:52 AM   #152
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterWho View Post
Until I changed out my 1000MHz splitter with one rated to 2400MHz, I could not get the mini to keep a connection. I hadn't thought to do this earlier as I had read over and over that 1000MHz was good enough. Yes, it could have been a bad splitter but it was only 3 yrs. old and originally installed by Comcast (decent quality I would hope) so it hadn't given me any problems otherwise with my cable modem or picture quality.
My MoCA worked with my 1Gb splitters but after setting up the MoCA system I did changed out all the splitters to ones over 1Gb, just to be on the safe side.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:34 PM   #153
aaronwt
HD Addict

I've had no issues with 1Ghz splitters and MoCA. 1Ghz splitters are what FiOS installs and a standard setup on FiOS uses MoCA.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:43 PM   #154
suspensio

I have a Roamio Plus connected to directly to a comcast cable modem with no router. I have two Mini's connected and MOCA enabled but I can not get them to connect. I have a POE filer on the input side of a 3 way splitter (5-1000 supplied by Comcast). Ahead of that on the drop I have a 2 way splitter feeding another cable modem that feeds my home server and wireless network. I have two separate networks in the home and two cable modems as one is a dedicated IP feeding my server.

1. When setting up the Minis's I have tried entering the TCP/IP info that the roamio is displaying. It is connecting to the internet with no difficulties through the cable modem attached to it. When I do this, do I give the mini a different IP address or the same?
Or is this the best way to do this?

2. Both Mini's are activated with Tivo and Have been rebooted. I have forced the Roamio reconnection several times
suspensio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:59 AM   #155
Scooby Doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspensio View Post
I have a Roamio Plus connected to directly to a comcast cable modem with no router. I have two Mini's connected and MOCA enabled but I can not get them to connect. I have a POE filer on the input side of a 3 way splitter (5-1000 supplied by Comcast). Ahead of that on the drop I have a 2 way splitter feeding another cable modem that feeds my home server and wireless network. I have two separate networks in the home and two cable modems as one is a dedicated IP feeding my server.

1. When setting up the Minis's I have tried entering the TCP/IP info that the roamio is displaying. It is connecting to the internet with no difficulties through the cable modem attached to it. When I do this, do I give the mini a different IP address or the same?
Or is this the best way to do this?

2. Both Mini's are activated with Tivo and Have been rebooted. I have forced the Roamio reconnection several times
You don't need to enter any IP addresses to setup Moca. Just connect the Minis and the Roamio to the same coax network and they will find each other. It sounds like you are trying to connect the Minis to your network both by ethernet (to your modem) and by Moca (to the Roamio); you can't do that, it's one or the other. Also, if you have two subnets running in your house then you need to make sure that the Minis and the Roamio are all on the same subnet.
Scooby Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:46 AM   #156
BigJimOutlaw

Updated the OP for a bit of clarity, accounting for Roamio changes, Roamio wifi, etc. I've also given slight preferential treatment to the Roamio/Mini since that seems to be the catalyst for most of new moca questions/threads popping up. But the info for all types of Tivos is still there.
BigJimOutlaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:29 AM   #157
MisterWho

I wanted to sum up my minor hiccups and solutions that got me up and running with my new Roamio Plus and Mini setup to hopefully save someone else from having to experience the frustration I did. These may be obvious things but took me some fiddling to figure out:

I COULD NOT get the Mini to connect to the new moca setup I am running from my Roamio until I replaced my existing Comcast-installed splitter with one that was rated to 2400 Mhz. I also installed a POE filter on the main drop. The Mini then got a connection! Great!

Then, the splitter died two days later (can happen, RMA'd from online retailer). I hooked everythig back up with replacement 2400 Mhz splitter and while I was at it, split the cable modem line from the drop ahead of the POE filter and this 2400 Mhz splitter. Again, connected just fine! Great!

Then, I noticed random errors in the Discovery Bar that no connection was present on both Roamio and therefore Mini. These would often clear up within seconds. I had read others having issues with "green switches" but mine is a netgear FS105 that is only 10/100 so I didnt know if this was the same issue. I rerouted the Roamio ethernet from this switch to the router directly (linksys WRT54G running DD-WRT) and never saw these network errors again! Great!

Then, while enjoying the Mini, I would sometimes get a complete drop out "no host found, network problem, or some such" error. Again, this apparently was temporary as going back to Tivo Central on the Mini and selecting Live TV again would work with no problem. I couldn't figure this one out and didn't find much here or online directing me to a particular solution. I eventually remembered that the Roamio's cable is ran through the surge suppression of my Belkin PureAV AP11000-10. When connecting the Roamio (replacing an Tivo HD), I just hooked the cable line in not even thinking about how it was running through the surge suppressor. Thinking that this might be interferring with the moca the Roamio is trying to send back out through this line, I removed the cable line from the surge suppressor and have not had a single hiccup since! Great!

Now, everything seems to be running smoothly. (Except for one morning a couple days ago, I turned on the Roamio and was getting no picture but audio and no response to remote. Had to pull the plug to restart and have not seen this again in the few days since. Not related to moca discussion, I know, but if anyone has seen this or can provide direction, that would be great. Could have been a fluke)
MisterWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #158
synch22

Just want to say I'm new to mini and moca. Off the roamio very surprised moca working just fine with 3 splitters on this line, no filters or amplifiers. Wow.
synch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #159
krisbuxton

Arrow Moca, Roamio, Mini, Comcast,

I need help, I am two weeks into this fiasco and Tivo has been unable to assist though I have talked to them at least 10 times. I had all Premiers and with the kids gone I thought what a better time to tell Comcast to stop charging me for the additional outlet drops and cable cards. So I returned all but 1 cable card and now my brand new 2013 built townhome has coax in every room but I am only looking to get my tivo Roamio working in the living room, and the mini in the master bedroom.

The Master bedroom has a levitron box in the closet in which I see two splitters, and all the cat 5e end connectors that run throughout the house. First thing I tried was running a ethernet cable directly to the Roamio and the Mini. Results were the Roamio seemed to work fine but the mini could see Tivo Central and the Roamio but it simply would not play live tv and it would not play shows even though I could see them and manipulate them and showed the V113 error for about a week.

I have my own owned SB6141 SURFboard going to a dlink 1750 http://www.dlink.com/us/en/home-solu...gigabit-router and a netgear gigabit switch in the closet going to all the cat5e and another dlink gigabit switch behind the tv in the master for the roku, PS3, bluray etc...

When I connect the actiontek adaptor for Moca as suggested next to the modem I lose all internet connectivity and wireless, like the router cannot see the internet any longer. I unplug it just from power and it seems to come back, I fiddled with it for several hours and still nothing. I have cable at the Roamio and Cable at the Mini but they both cannot see a gateway.

So I thought I would try ethernet again, Same results as above so I put the Roamio and the mini right next to each other on the same switch and unplugged anything else on the network, still same result No live TV, no able to play recorded on Roamio shows everything else works and still a V113 error.

I dont know what to do or try now, I thought this would be easy but after 14 years with Tivo I want to cancel and tell comcast to bring me a PVR setup.

Please Help anyone,
krisbuxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #160
dwjohn

MoCa Setup Design Question

Hi, I'm a new forum member, but an existing TiVo user (4 Premieres in house) using Comcast bundled service.

In order to save money and upgrade functionality I'm planning on switching to a Roamio and 3 Mini's, and also create a MoCa network. I need some fundamental help on the setup/architecture of the network.

I've been reading the threads as well as going to various MoCa-related sites and I'm wanting to make sure I'm correctly understanding how this technology works and how to configure it with my house setup.

On my current coax / Comcast cabling setup:

I've identified the point-of-entry to my house (where I'll install the POE filter on the input side of the first splitter (3 way).

In tracing the cables coming out of that 3 way splitter: one coax cable runs outside the house to the back / upstairs living room, where it connects directly to my premiere XL with our primary TV. I'm planning to replace this Tivo unit with the Roamio since this is where we do most of our watching.

The other two coax cables coming out of that 3 way splitter run into the downstairs.

One connects to the Comcast modem (which connects to phone system and Ethernet/Wirelss Router (2.4 Ghz Netgear).

The second coax cable goes into another splitter which feeds my other 3 TiVo units located around the house.

I've ordered an Actiontec Ethernet to Coax Adapter and a 5-1200 MoCa enabled splitter that I was going to replace the existing downstairs splitter.

I was planning to install the Actiontec adaptor next to the Comcast Cable Modem and my Ethernet Router.

If I put the Actiontec adaptor upstream of the Comcast Modem, and connect the Ethernet cable out of the router back to the adaptor will that establish the MoCa network?

Or do I need to run another coax cable out of the adaptor and into the second splitter, replacing the current cable coming from the the Point of Entry splitter?

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated...thanks!
dwjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:33 PM   #161
jmpage2

Yes, you should be able to put the action-tec in as you describe to create the MoCA network then put all TiVo devices into moca mode to connect to each other and the internet.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:55 PM   #162
Bigg

YMMV, but I have a hodgepodge of old splitters that I found when I rented this house, no POE filter, and I rebalanced the system for the modem's DOCSIS channels, and TiVo Premiere 4 QAM tuners, which effectively makes the MoCA signal go through three splitters (up a 2-way, across a 3-way, and down a 4-way), then through a hodgepodge of wiring that ranges from the house's original construction in 1999, and recently installed, and it works great, other than occasional not very intrusive glitching which may or may not have anything to do with my setup.

I'm not sure if a modem will work behind a MoCA adapter, although I don't see why it wouldn't, other than that you can basically put MoCA devices wherever you want and they'll work fine. It's meant to be an idiot-proof system. Don't bother with special splitters, regular 860mhz splitters seem to work fine. It's not like they drop off completely at 865 mhz, and the MoCA gear is pretty powerful.

The only thing you can't do is have another MoCA device connected to the downstream coax port of the MoCA adapter, as MoCA is filtered out. Your setup sounds pretty good, as you should be trying to balance power for DOCSIS and QAM, not MoCA. MoCA will pretty much survive whatever mess you create for it when you balance your system.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #163
uw69

I am currently using two mini's connected via Ethernet to my Roamio plus. I am thinking about adding a 3rd mini and would like to connect it via MoCa. Can I have both Ethernet and MoCa mini's on the same Roamio?
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
3 TiVo Mini's
uw69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #164
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by uw69 View Post
I am currently using two mini's connected via Ethernet to my Roamio plus. I am thinking about adding a 3rd mini and would like to connect it via MoCa. Can I have both Ethernet and MoCa mini's on the same Roamio?
Yes, you can have both. Turn on MoCA bridge mode on your Roamio plus, and just connect other Minis to the coaxial connection and assuming there's nothing wrong with the wiring in your coax network it should work fine.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:52 AM   #165
bayern_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Yes, you can have both. Turn on MoCA bridge mode on your Roamio plus, and just connect other Minis to the coaxial connection and assuming there's nothing wrong with the wiring in your coax network it should work fine.
Not sure if this was mentioned elsewhere, but is it suggested to have a POE filter on the mini outlet when using a Roamio Plus as your MoCa bridge?
bayern_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:35 AM   #166
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayern_fan View Post
Not sure if this was mentioned elsewhere, but is it suggested to have a POE filter on the mini outlet when using a Roamio Plus as your MoCa bridge?
No, you shouldn't need that. One Poe filter either at the cable modem or entry point into the home of the coaxial feed.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #167
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayern_fan View Post

If you do that, then you'll block to MoCa signal all together. Kind of defeats the purpose.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #168
BayouBoy32

Is it OK to install the POE filter for MOCA in advance of getting a Mini to go with my Roamio Pro? And if I decide after trying MOCA I would prefer to go with Ethernet and run a Ethernet line, can I leave the filter inline without any lose of signal? Thanks in advance.
BayouBoy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #169
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBoy32 View Post
Is it OK to install the POE filter for MOCA in advance of getting a Mini to go with my Roamio Pro? And if I decide after trying MOCA I would prefer to go with Ethernet and run a Ethernet line, can I leave the filter inline without any lose of signal? Thanks in advance.
Yes, there's no reason you can't do that. Many cable modems even have POE filters installed and it doesn't hurt anything for them to be there. All they do is block MoCA signals, not other things you use the coaxial network for.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #170
BayouBoy32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Yes, there's no reason you can't do that. Many cable modems even have POE filters installed and it doesn't hurt anything for them to be there. All they do is block MoCA signals, not other things you use the coaxial network for.
Thanks for the info. I installed it in the box on the side of house. I am glad I purchased the terminator lock removal tool. Made the job very easy. I checked all signals on Tivo and internet and as you said it doesn't hurt anything. Now all set when I get the Mini to try MOCA.
BayouBoy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:16 PM   #171
Bigg

I must have jinxed myself... I'm getting random disconnection issues now.

EDIT: Not sure yet if it's MoCA or software yet...
Old 12-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #172
cometstorm

Trying to get TIVO Moca system to work!

Help! I've been at this for three days now, and STILL can't get my Romio 4-tuner (basic) w/2 moca adapters to work! I pray to the Almighty that someone can help as I'm now getting past frustrated....

Here's what I'm wanting to do: I have the basic Romio 4 turner in my Greatroom, with the moca adapter properly attached. I want to moca to my bedroom TV mini. My den is where my desktop computer, stand alone Motorola modem, Netgear DX-E402 10/100M wireless/wired router is.

I have four other TV's in various parts of the house, but they are simply straight coaxed from the basement splitter (no Tivo involvement, outside antenna only).

My house is single story ranch, with an unfinished basement.

Here's my setup: I have a splitter outside the house with the two lines feeding into the basement. One goes directly to the modem in the den/computer room (no TV is in there).

The other feeds into the "in" of an 8 outlet amplified splitter in the basement. There is also another IN on the splitter where a coax runs a short way to a powered transformer. This "IN" says Vo/IP Modem. I have no idea what that is for...it is left over from my cable company which I just exited their cable and phone plan (kept the internet). I do know if I unplug THAT coax, the splitter light goes off and none of my TV's work.

The amplified splitter can be seen in detail here:

https://www.liveitwithcharter.com/pd...tion_guide.pdf

Anyway, I strongly believe I have the great room Romio TIVO and moca adapter setup properly. At least all three lights on the Actiontec adapter light up.

The bedroom w/mini seems to be setup properly as well (not too much to mess up on that!).

My HUGE problem seems to be getting the den/computer moca adapter situation squared away. THIS is where I've spent the past 3 days!

I never could get the CABLE light to illuminate on the moca adapter. (the first two would light....power and Ethernet).

This is the configuration I've tried over and over....

Cable internet coax line to Moca "in." Coax jumper cable from Moca "out" to modem "in."

Moca ethernet line to Router LAN "in" (one of four lan points on the router).

WAN out on router to Ethernet on modem.

And, of course the required 12V power cords to each.

This simply has not worked. The coax light will NOT come on....

The last time I tried, the moca adapter got a burnt smell.....and now it won't light up at all! GGGGRRRRRR>>>>>> "Banging head on desk!"

So, I ordered ANOTHER moca adapter from Tivo over 24 hours ago. Paid almost $30 for one day shipping. According to my account w/Tivo, it STILL hasn't shipped.... "Banging head on desk again!"

What the heck am I doing wrong? Please.....Anyone????

Also, I'm wondering with this setup....how does my great room Romio w/moca "see" my coax moca network through my setup in the den, since that all seems to be tied into data, not TV coax?

It just doesn't make sense.....

Just what, and how many items am I missing here?

Thanks for your patience with my rants!
cometstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:49 PM   #173
jmpage2

The reason that if you unplug the "in" voip/modem on your powered splitter you lose everything is because that is the lead that goes from the transformer and activates the splitter! With that many runs, if it's older coax you probably need the splitter to be active or the signal level is too low for all of the various runs that you have in the home.

From the manual you provided, your splitter only goes up to 1000mhz and is OLD, it's on the ragged edge and there's a good chance that it is stripping the MoCA signal out!

As a test, when you get the new Actiontec, do this;

Disconnect the powered splitter in the basement. Connect a simple passive splitter with at least a 1000mhz+ rating and hook up the main feed from your outside-of-the-house cable split along with the feeds to the Mini coax drop and the drop to your family room Roamio.

Connect the Actiontec at the modem. If it still is not working then you have some other problem possibly related to the way the cable is split outside of the house, such as a ground-loop on the coax, etc.

If it does work, then verify that your adapter at the Roamio as well as the Mini are both getting MoCA and working.

Then you can work backwards with replacing your old powered splitters, faulty coaxial runs/splits in your house, etc.

It's also entirely possible that the Actiontec adapter you were using at the cable modem side is faulty. Did you try the very simple process of elimination step of trying the MoCA adapter from the family room TiVo in the room with the cable modem? We call this "frogging it". If the problem occurs with that adapter than you have a wiring problem. If the problem goes away then you simply had a faulty MoCA adapter and you've been banging your head against the wall for nothing.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #174
cometstorm

Thanks for that quick response, JmPage2! Much appreciated!

What you say makes good sense.

I did try switching out the adapters (before the one blew), and there was no change. In other words, the one from the Great room (romio)..when placed at the computer...would get no coax light either, just the first two lights. But the one moved to the Great Room would get all three lights.

As to the amplified splitter, I figured that the one line from the transformer was providing the power. It was just the VoIP/Modem printing at that input point...I couldn't figure what that meant and was having to scratch my head...why didn't it just say POWER. Maybe something to do with when I previously had Charter digital phone, TV, and internet (there is a two way splitter right at the transformer....one is the coax to VoIP IN previously mentioned, the other is just empty (not even a coax line to it).

Anyhoots, I'm not one for patience. I HATE IT when things don't work! lol!

With that in mind, you ever try finding a moca adapter IN current store inventory (or a POE filter for that matter)? I've tried everything in and around St. Louis. No can do. Not even Best Buy or Radio Shack, and many others. So, here I wait twiddling my thumbs waiting for the delivery.

I see what you suggest on bypassing the amplified splitter and going that route. Great suggestion. Can't wait to try it.

Oh, for the record....the Roamio in the Great Room is working fine. Programming, Netflix, etc. But, it's just working off the wireless signal.

I DO have a CAT 5 available which runs from the great room Blue Ray, through the basement, and to my Netgear router. Don't know if that could help me out here or not? Then again, going another Cat 5 from the router to the mini in the bedroom could be a problem ease-wise.

So, enlighten me.....How in the heck do the MoCA adapters "SEE" my TV coax wiring in the house? It just seems to me that since it's wired to the modem, all it would "see" is internet data and not coax TV.

Am I missing something, or just sounding stupid (AGAIN!)...

Thanks so much!

Last edited by cometstorm : 12-06-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:50 PM   #175
jmpage2

If you installed a small network switch at your great room location you could connect the blu-ray player as well as a Roamio Plus.... then enable MoCA bridge on the Roamio Plus and it would become the MoCA provider for your entire network.. no actiontek adapters would be needed.

This would obviously only work if you are in the exchange window for your Roamio basic and are willing to spend $140 or so more for the next level up Roamio.

If you are planning on using MoCA at your great room with the basic, you will need to reconfigure it so that it does not use the Wi-Fi... assuming you get the actiontek adapter problems sorted out.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #176
cometstorm

Thanks!

That makes sence. Yet, I've got so much $$$ tied up now with the adapters....and with the one on the way (weather in Dallas has no doubt delayed it), guess I'll just ride it out.

With your kind input, I'm quite sure I'll get 'er done!

Last edited by cometstorm : 12-07-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:25 PM   #177
mlaw8

MoCA Setup Issue

Guys - I'm having problems after reading everything I can find and playing with each piece and part. I've attached my setup...the first drawing is how I think it should be set up to be working. In this case none of the MoCA devices are making a connection. When I insert the old splitter into the equation (per Phil's from AVSForums advice) I get 2 of the 3 devices working (illustrated in second picture). Apprciate any additional advice/options. I'm waiting for a MoCA filter to add into the equation but they have been slow to get here. Thanks - Mark
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Drawing1.pdf (50.8 KB, 45 views)
mlaw8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:13 PM   #178
Bigg

What the heck are you doing with diplexers? Just put one amp above the whole system, then the MoCA filter, and then the splitters if you really don't want the MoCA touching the amp...
Old 01-12-2014, 07:27 PM   #179
jntc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlaw8 View Post
Guys - I'm having problems after reading everything I can find and playing with each piece and part. I've attached my setup...the first drawing is how I think it should be set up to be working. In this case none of the MoCA devices are making a connection. When I insert the old splitter into the equation (per Phil's from AVSForums advice) I get 2 of the 3 devices working (illustrated in second picture). Apprciate any additional advice/options. I'm waiting for a MoCA filter to add into the equation but they have been slow to get here. Thanks - Mark

Why do you have sat diplexers in there? (Or did you leave out the satellite & connection on the drawing?) (DishTV and locals via UHF?)

Why do you have two actiontec's in there? The Roamio can provide the MoCa network (if connected via ethernet) or one actiontec hanging off the cable modem. In which case, you're wired all wrong.

The 900mhz splitter will probably not allow MoCa to passthrough.

Do you have satellite and cable and UHF Antenna ???

Both your diagrams are most confusing...

Last edited by jntc : 01-12-2014 at 08:29 PM.
jntc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:59 PM   #180
jmpage2

It looks like he has satellite, cable and UHF. His cable layout is crackers.