TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-04-2013, 09:06 AM   #1
zubinh

BE CAREFUL Downloading to iPhone over Wi-Fi - A suggestion for TiVo

Every Sunday night I download shows from my Roamio Plus to my iPhone just before going to bed. My WiFi signal is usually pretty good in my upstairs bedroom even though the router is in the basement. In the past, if the wifi signal wasnt strong enough, the download would stop and I would have to start it up again in the morning. That wasnt a big deal until now with the recent updated capability of the TiVo app.

Last night I guess the wi-fi signal wasnt strong enough. So you can guess what the iPhone did - that's right - it switched to CELLULAR DATA AND USED UP ALMOST MY ENTIRE DATA ALLOWANCE.

I knew something was amiss when I got an email this morning from Verizon stating that I am close to using my alloted data allowance. That has NEVER happened to me before. I checked my data usage on verizon.com and sure enough at 3am a big usage spike ocurred. So now I may not have to restart downloads any more if they fail, but the TiVo app will suck up my data allowance.

Dear Tivo, If you're listening, PLEASE add an option to restrict downloads to WiFi ONLY. Thank you
Old 11-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #2
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubinh View Post
Dear Tivo, If you're listening, PLEASE add an option to restrict downloads to WiFi ONLY. Thank you
On your iOS device -- Settings, Cellular. Scroll down -- you can enable/disable each app for cellular data.
DeltaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #3
zubinh

Thank you for the tip DeltaOne. That is a good workaround albeit a bit of a pain though. I would have to toggle that back on in order to manage recordings when not connected to WiFi.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Thank you for the tip DeltaOne. That is a good workaround albeit a bit of a pain though. I would have to toggle that back on in order to manage recordings when not connected to WiFi.
But very good insurance in your case.

And with all the people complaining that they still cannot stream yet using a cellular connection - I doubt you will see TiVo implement that request.

It is a good solid recommendation and I may actually make of habbit of doing to same thing.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo

Last edited by bradleys : 11-04-2013 at 10:28 AM.
bradleys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:28 AM   #5
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
But very good insurance in your case.

And with all the people complaining that they still cannot stream yet using a cellular connection - I doubt you will see TiVo implement that request. I may actually make of habbit of doing to same thing.
Some of us still have grandfathered unlimited data, and will keep it until they pry it out of our cold, dead hands.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:37 AM   #6
markp99
TakoKichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_smits View Post
Some of us still have grandfathered unlimited data, and will keep it until they pry it out of our cold, dead hands.
...or until you attempt to update your device!
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #7
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp99 View Post
I believe the option to pay non-contract price still exists for some providers. Maybe that is changing?
Old 11-04-2013, 12:01 PM   #8
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
AT&T hasn't been taking the unlimited plan from us yet -- even when you buy a new iPhone. I'm on my third iPhone and still have my original unlimited plan.

But…unlimited isn't unlimited. They throttle you back if you use too much data in any given month. And, of course -- they could kill the grand-fathered unlimited plans any time they want.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #9
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaOne View Post
And, of course -- they could kill the grand-fathered unlimited plans any time they want.

They can't arbitrarily kill the unlimited plans if you are currently on one. That won't stop them from trying like the endless addition of fees and surcharges instead of raising the plan cost.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:12 PM   #10
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_smits View Post
They can't arbitrarily kill the unlimited plans if you are currently on one. That won't stop them from trying like the endless addition of fees and surcharges instead of raising the plan cost.
I'm not so sure -- I'll bet there's language in the fine print saying they can make any changes at any time. I hope you're right, but I figure their lawyers have all the angles covered.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:38 PM   #11
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
So then you either pay full price for the device or get a used one at a lower cost. Which is what i just did recently when I got a used Droid DNa so I would be able to keep my granfathered Unlimited plan.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:19 PM   #12
Philmatic

The tidbit about AT&T taking away Unlimited Data when you upgrade is just completely false and absurd.

I have upgraded 3 times since they've discontinued unlimited data and not once have they moved me to a capped tier.
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:03 PM   #13
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmatic View Post
The tidbit about AT&T taking away Unlimited Data when you upgrade is just completely false and absurd.

I have upgraded 3 times since they've discontinued unlimited data and not once have they moved me to a capped tier.
They have however made it unable to get things like tethering, you can not set up a personal hot spot with unlimited, you have to move to a tiered plan.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:41 PM   #14
mattack

Quote:
That's not a workaround, it's asking for EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANTED!!!!
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:46 AM   #15
jcthorne

Dear OP, get a data plan that provides sufficient qty for actual use. Might be time to look at a different carrier that actually lets you use your itoy.

Just say no to data caps.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:17 AM   #16
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

It is a workaround. The app could control downloading shows over wi-fi and still allow you to manage recordings.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #17
zubinh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
It is a workaround. The app could control downloading shows over wi-fi and still allow you to manage recordings.
You took the words right out of my mouth...
Old 11-05-2013, 10:39 PM   #18
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Nah, just out of your post. :-)
Old 11-06-2013, 04:36 AM   #19
HarperVision

Quote:
You took the words right out of my mouth...
......it must've been while you were kissin' me!

- Meatloaf, Bat Out of Hell
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:25 AM   #20
Devx

Another workaround, in the same settings screen for Cellular on the iOS device is to disable cellular data to force all connections, for all apps, over WiFi. In my experience, this has an added benefit of forcing the device to hold the wireless connection longer or reconnect faster instead of preferring LTE in weaker signal situations as LTE is no longer an option.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #21
JimPa
S3 owner/user

Quote:
Every Sunday night I download shows from my Roamio Plus to my iPhone just before going to bed. My WiFi signal is usually pretty good in my upstairs bedroom even though the router is in the basement. In the past, if the wifi signal wasnt strong enough, the download would stop and I would have to start it up again in the morning. That wasnt a big deal until now with the recent updated capability of the TiVo app.

Last night I guess the wi-fi signal wasnt strong enough. So you can guess what the iPhone did - that's right - it switched to CELLULAR DATA AND USED UP ALMOST MY ENTIRE DATA ALLOWANCE.

I knew something was amiss when I got an email this morning from Verizon stating that I am close to using my alloted data allowance. That has NEVER happened to me before. I checked my data usage on verizon.com and sure enough at 3am a big usage spike ocurred. So now I may not have to restart downloads any more if they fail, but the TiVo app will suck up my data allowance.

Sounds like you got your question answered but I'd like to know what this feature is and how do I get to do it on my iphone 5. Sounds like a pretty cool feature. I have the basic Roameo and record OTA only.
JimPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #22
Devx

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPa View Post
Sounds like you got your question answered but I'd like to know what this feature is and how do I get to do it on my iphone 5. Sounds like a pretty cool feature. I have the basic Roameo and record OTA only.
A standalone Tivo Stream (can be found at BestBuy or Amazon.com) and the Tivo app installed on the iPhone 5 will provide that functionality. This assumes a wireless router is already on the network that the iPhone can connect to and the Roamio is currently hardwired to a switch, router, or moca adapter.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote