TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-02-2013, 01:04 AM   #61
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

Well I kind of wanted Jack and Dara in the finale but I can see why Alexander got in over Jack. Alexander had the gross chicken liver and he made it excellent whereas Jack had a simple chicken breast. Of course Jack did a great job but Alexander had the more difficult protein. Troy blew it by under cooking his dish.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #62
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Troy was very lucky not to go last week anyway!

When they showed the proteins, I knew that Alexander was going to get the liver and I said that it's the one I'd prefer to get in a challenge like that. The reason being that I would get a more forgiving judgement because the level of difficulty is so much higher - and it paid off!
Old 11-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #63
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkkeller View Post
I think a lot of the show is faked or overly rehearsed myself.
So do I, especially after the restaurant takeover challenge started as a lunch service and finished as a dinner service.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:01 PM   #64
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Team Alexander all the way! He was my early pick and I really hope he wins!

Dara is cute as a bug in a rug and those chicken wings looked a-ma-zing, but I think Alexander has been more consistent during the entire competition and he deserves it!
Old 11-04-2013, 12:43 AM   #65
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post

Dara is cute as a bug in a rug ...
Except for that stupid bow. Makes me want to reach through the TV and rip it off her head.
That's what Gordon should have done when it was falling down over her eyes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:36 AM   #66
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Except for that stupid bow. Makes me want to reach through the TV and rip it off her head.
That's what Gordon should have done when it was falling down over her eyes.
BA HA HA! What did he say-something about their looking like sunglasses?
Old 11-04-2013, 11:33 AM   #67
sharkster

IMO, Jack got robbed. I think they just wanted to have one boy and one girl in the finale. She made chicken wings! Granted, she made them well but Jack made a beautiful, not at all uncomplicated, meal with the chicken breast.

It broke my heart to see him axed. I'm on team Alexander for sure. He and Jack were the best of the bunch from the get-go. Man, Troy sure tanked with the raw chicken. There was no way out of that one. Poor kid had to sit there through the rest of the tastings and judging, knowing he was outta there. I wanted to see him go anyway, but I still felt kind of badly for him.

Agree about the Minnie Mouse (or whatever the hell that is) bow. Enough already!
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:37 PM   #68
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

I think Troy really screwed up with the strategy when he assigned the parts to the other competitors. If you stick the toughest competitor with the hardest thing to cook, then if he does well, he really outshines everyone because he cooked the hardest thing. Look at what happened to Jack -- he had the chicken breast and did the roulade, but even though it was a very technical dish and the execution was brilliant, he still went home.

Of course nothing can save you if your own dish comes out raw, but I wonder what would have happened if the assignments had been Alexander with the chicken breast, Dara with the liver and Jack with the wings.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #69
Honora

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
I think Troy really screwed up with the strategy when he assigned the parts to the other competitors. If you stick the toughest competitor with the hardest thing to cook, then if he does well, he really outshines everyone because he cooked the hardest thing. Look at what happened to Jack -- he had the chicken breast and did the roulade, but even though it was a very technical dish and the execution was brilliant, he still went home.

Of course nothing can save you if your own dish comes out raw, but I wonder what would have happened if the assignments had been Alexander with the chicken breast, Dara with the liver and Jack with the wings.
In the adult version of the show, how many times have we seen this happen? Somebody wins the advantage of choosing who gets what protein or dish to cook, gives what they think is the hardest to their chief competitor (who then does something fantastic with it) while they shoot themselves in the foot with a simple mistake like under/over cooking the food or forgetting an important ingredient.

I told my husband, Troy is going to screw up when they started.
Honora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #70
billypritchard
Embiggener

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post

Not to mention that his own choice was the boring thigh, and all he did was cook it poorly, nothing interesting at all. He was probably going home even if it was cooked right.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #71
sharkster

Good point about the Troy/advantage thing. It seems that Ramsay's shows are so predictably formulaic that you almost can figure that the one with the advantage sets him/herself up for failure.

I sure hope Alexander takes this! He deserves it head and shoulders above the little girl. Maybe Jack will come back next time. He also deserves to win, IMO.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #72
dthmj
Hinky

In the adult version I've also seen the one with the advantage give their biggest competitor the easiest food - thinking they will over think it - and sometimes they do.

- Gaming Blog

- Personal Blog
dthmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #73
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

I really hope we see Jack again. He was my favorite competitor.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:32 PM   #74
LlamaLarry

I really thought it was going to be a Jack and Alexander finale.
LlamaLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:46 PM   #75
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Yeah, me too. I like Dara, but Jack vs. Alexander would have been epic.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #76
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
I sure hope Alexander takes this! He deserves it head and shoulders above the little girl. Maybe Jack will come back next time. He also deserves to win, IMO.
Unless there's an "All-Stars" version, which I doubt (as by the time they have enough kids to do it, some will be adults), I don't think any of these 12 will be on the show in future seasons. Maybe if the "adult" version runs for a few more seasons (and I don't see why it wouldn't), one or more of these kids will be allowed to be on that show. Besides - assuming there is a next season for this show (American Juniors was supposed to have a second season as well, until it was pulled at pretty much the last second), they will probably search nationwide rather than just in New York / Los Angeles / San Francisco.

No, it's not really fair to the runner-up not to be allowed back, is it? Then again, how fair was it when the winner of the most recent Hell's Kitchen didn't get the promised job (choose one: "for personal reasons", "because she failed a Caesar's-mandated drug test") and the runner-up was told, "Sorry, but you don't get the job in her place"?
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #77
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

No comments on the finale?

I was rooting for Alexander all the way-and I was worried that Dara might win- she did a great job and I don't think the judges were exaggerating when they said it was super-close and came down to the smallest details

YAY ALEXANDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He was a good sport, too-he gave Dara something she needed (don't remember what it was) out of his own supply...and helped Chef Ramsay calm her down when she freaked out...don't think the adults would do that...maybe help with the ingredients, but they'd relish a freak-out!

Fun to see Luca there-nice of him to give the kids props-they really did perform well under the pressure!

Hope they do this again! Lots of fun!
Old 11-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #78
Hot4Bo
Finally an Avatar!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Actually Luca was one to give ingredients out of his supply too.

Hot4Bo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:49 AM   #79
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

I really enjoyed the show, and hope they do another season.

It was great to see Alexander comforting Dara when she was feeling lightheaded. Ditto with sharing the ingredients.

The judges kept saying it was really close -- I wonder if it came down to Dara's overcooking the shrimp in her main course.

The thing that impressed me the most -- after watching several seasons of Top Chef, one of the challenges that causes an Epic Fail is when the contestants are required to make a dessert. Clearly both Alexander and Dara, and several of the other kids, could whip a lot of the stuck-up chefs on Top Chef. It would be fun to see that.

I'm sad that the season is over.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:30 AM   #80
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

Glad to see Alexander win. This was sure a short season!
Old 11-10-2013, 01:01 PM   #81
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakzie View Post
Glad to see Alexander win. This was sure a short season!
Start with fewer people and eliminate two and a time and that's what happens.

I don't usually pick a person that I want to win on these types of shows. I usually just pick people that I don't want to win and hope the get eliminated.
Because it's just amazing how much more helpful, encouraging and understanding the kids were vs the adults, I never rooted for anyone's elimination.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #82
sharkster

I just watched last night. YAY for Alexander!! I'm so pleased that he won. What a nice nice kid, too!

I really did want it to be Jack and Alexander, but then I'd have been torn. At least this way I was on Team Alexander all the way.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:39 AM   #83
billypritchard
Embiggener

The only negative I take from this season is that two of the oldest were the finalists. And wasn't Alexander the oldest overall?
Old 11-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #84
Numb And Number2

Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post
The only negative I take from this season is that two of the oldest were the finalists. And wasn't Alexander the oldest overall?
Don't trust anyone over 10.
Numb And Number2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:48 AM   #85
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

It was powdered sugar that Alexander gave Dara, and yes, it was great to see his sportsmanship.

As for their ages, I didn't see a problem. They just happened to be the best of the group, although Jack could possibly have made it.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:29 AM   #86
brettatk
Thread Killer

Even with the obvious help/advantages they were given it was a very impressive season. I was pulling for Alexander as well. Both finalists did an awesome job!
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #87
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post
Alexander was the oldest (listed as 13 in the press release); Dara, Jewels, Molly, Roan, Sofia, and Troy are 12; Kaylen and Tommy, 11; Gavin and Jack, 10; Sarah, 9.

Did they ever mention the kids' last names on the show? They're not listed in the press releases, and Fox did not put out a release announcing the winner like it usually does for its reality shows. Yes, I realize that they're "just kids," but that didn't stop Fox from listing last names on American Juniors (or for under-18 singers on American Idol or The X Factor).
Some sites do list some or all of their last names, but I won't mention them here out of privacy concerns.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote