TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #1
Donbadabon
Geocacher

RIP - Marcia Wallace - Edna Krabappel and "The Bob Newhart Show"

Marcia Wallace, the star of "The Bob Newhart Show"¯ and "The Simpsons," died Friday, according to a several media reports. She was 70 and had reportedly been in ill health, although the cause of her condition was not specified.

She is the same age that Suzanne Pleshette died.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...,3012297.story
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Also a regular on Match Game.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
cannonz

That's out of the blue, very sad.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
pteronaut
Registered Snoozer

It looks like Matt Groening has to re-think which character is being killed off this season.

(And Ned Flanders loses another wife.)
pteronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #5
Gregor

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #6
Donbadabon
Geocacher

"I was tremendously saddened to learn this morning of the passing of the brilliant and gracious Marcia Wallace," said Simpsons executive producer Al Jean in a statement. "She was beloved by all at The Simpsons and we intend to retire her irreplaceable character."

Edna Krabappel - Ha! Laugh Montage

Old 10-26-2013, 02:07 PM   #7
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteronaut View Post
It looks like Matt Groening has to re-think which character is being killed off this season.

(And Ned Flanders loses another wife.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
"I was tremendously saddened to learn this morning of the passing of the brilliant and gracious Marcia Wallace," said Simpsons executive producer Al Jean in a statement. "She was beloved by all at The Simpsons and we intend to retire her irreplaceable character."
Yeah but they had no problem replacing Phil Hartman for Troy McClure and Zapp Brannigan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futurama#Voice_actors
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MikeAndrews : 10-26-2013 at 02:36 PM.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:33 PM   #8
trainman
Nice to see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
Yeah but they had no problem replacing Phil Hartman for Troy McClure and Zapp Branigan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futurama#Voice_actors
They've never used Troy McClure in "The Simpsons" after Phil Hartman died -- he wasn't replaced there.

And he was replaced on "Futurama" before the show premiered -- in fact, I don't think any voice recording had even been done for the show before he died. Thus, Billy West has always done Zapp Brannigan's voice. That's a much different situation than it would be to replace Marcia Wallace at this point.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:25 PM   #9
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

as much as i love suzanne and bob, marcia's small but hilarious appearances on newhart were always my favorite laughs in the show when i was a kid.

she had a very special talent, i'll miss her.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:01 PM   #10
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
as much as i love suzanne and bob, marcia's small but hilarious appearances on newhart were always my favorite laughs in the show when i was a kid.

she had a very special talent, i'll miss her.
Well said, and I agree.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:55 PM   #11
terpfan1980
It's Just TV

TC CLUB MEMBER
When I first saw the article that noted her passing, I was a bit shocked at her age. I had somewhat assumed she was older than she was. I suppose that was because she seemed more mature when she was on the old Bob Newhart show and that had aired so long ago.

70 is certainly not that old, no matter how long she'd been around as a performer. I'll miss her character in future Simpsons episodes, but am glad that she left behind so many appearances to enjoy.
Xbox Live gamertag/PSN id: terpfan1980
terpfan1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:10 PM   #12
bobcarn
Birthday Hug Monkey

I'm genuinely saddened. What a wonderful character actress. I loved her in Newhart, and I adored her as Edna. I'll miss her on the Simpsons.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:19 PM   #13
mattack

Yikes, so she was *29* when she started on the Bob Newhart Show??

I would have guessed mid-late 30s at least (wasn't she basically "old spinster who couldn't get a man"??)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #14
cannonz

I always thought she was playing it as fresh out of school first job kind of thing.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:00 AM   #15
Hot4Bo
Finally an Avatar!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I still remember her from Full House, constantly after Joey. RIP

Hot4Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:18 AM   #16
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
They've never used Troy McClure in "The Simpsons" after Phil Hartman died -- he wasn't replaced there.

And he was replaced on "Futurama" before the show premiered -- in fact, I don't think any voice recording had even been done for the show before he died. Thus, Billy West has always done Zapp Brannigan's voice. That's a much different situation than it would be to replace Marcia Wallace at this point.
No recording of Hartman was ever done for Futurama. In fact, in the original script, Fry's first name is Curtis, but was changed to Philip as a tribute to Hartman. (He doesn't say it, but it appears on a computer screen on Leela's desk.)

Quote:
Show runner Al Jean has said that the character killed off is not Mrs. Krabappel (I think it's going to be Krusty's father - supposedly, it happens this Sunday), although they do have to find a way to get her off of the show, or at least into a position where she doesn't talk. (Lunch Lady Doris had a lot of non-speaking background parts for a while after Doris Grau died.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
Also a regular on Match Game.
In fact, GSN is airing a "tribute" to Marcia on November 1, 8 AM-Noon Eastern (and AFAIK, there's only one GSN feed, so it's 5-9 AM Pacific); four episodes of 1970s Match Game, two of Password Plus (I remember one episode where she had to give clues to "Supercalifragilisticexpialadocious"), and two of The $100,000 Pyramid.

Last edited by That Don Guy : 10-30-2013 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Corrected time of GSN shows
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:39 AM   #17
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
A friend of mine mentioned that The Simpsons has a very long lead time for production (unlike South Park). So there will probably be a bunch of episodes in the pipeline where Marsha Wallace had already done the voice work. So we may not see her exit until late in the season if not next season.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:57 AM   #18
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post
A friend of mine mentioned that The Simpsons has a very long lead time for production (unlike South Park). So there will probably be a bunch of episodes in the pipeline where Marsha Wallace had already done the voice work. So we may not see her exit until late in the season if not next season.
I read somewhere that the entire season has been done for a while now.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:02 AM   #19
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
I read somewhere that the entire season has been done for a while now.
All of the voice recordings are almost certainly done (IIRC, it's about seven months from when they record to when the episode airs, since they animate to the voices rather than have the actors dub over the animation). There is certainly not enough time to write, record, animate, and compose music for, a new episode for this season. Even a clip show would have to be such a rush job that it would be more of an insult to Marcia Wallace's memory than a tribute. (Fox asked the producers in April, 1994 to create a new episode that it could air in late September, to go along with its newly-acquired NFL coverage on Sundays; what resulted was the second clip show (not the one where Homer is in the hospital, but the one with the long clips from three episodes, including the Valentine's Day one where Lisa gives Ralph a pity valentine and he takes it the wrong way).
EDIT: I stand corrected - Yeardley Smith commented about having to record an episode after Marcia's death; she noted that Mrs. Krabappel had a part in the initial table read of the script, but the recorded version obviously was rewritten to not include the character.

There's plenty of time to decide what to do with the character - so far, I have heard:
  • Kill her off - it's not as if Ned hasn't been a single father before
  • Keep her on the show, but just don't have her say anything (they did this with Lunch Lady Doris for a while)
  • Have her retire and move away - the problem with this is, they would either have to write Ned and his sons out as well, or come up with an excuse as to why she would leave him

Last edited by That Don Guy : 10-30-2013 at 12:36 PM.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:59 AM   #20
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Given the Al Jean quote above, it seems they'll definitely write her character out, so keeping Edna around without speaking won't be an option. Having Edna die making Ned a two-time widower, or she leaves him and makes him a divorcee/widower would make the most sense. There would be no reason to write out the whole Flanders clan just because they have to write out Edna.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:34 PM   #21
cannonz

METV is showing 2 Marcia episodes at 10 tonight.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #22
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonz View Post
METV is showing 2 Marcia episodes at 10 tonight.
click the "search" button at the top right of the page and enter your zip code to find a local station:
http://www.metvnetwork.com/schedule.php#

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:44 PM   #23
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post

In fact, GSN is airing a "tribute" to Marcia on November 1, 8 AM-Noon Eastern (and AFAIK, there's only one GSN feed, so it's 5-9 AM Pacific); four episodes of 1970s Match Game, two of Password Plus (I remember one episode where she had to give clues to "Supercalifragilisticexpialadocious"), and two of The $100,000 Pyramid.
COOL! Thanks! DVR set! I love the old shows like Match Game and Password-and LOVED her on them...thanks so much!
Old 10-30-2013, 09:42 PM   #24
mattack

Quote:
rather than have the actors dub over the animation
Does *any* animation do it this way? (Except perhaps what I would suspect are very rare looping/redubbing.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:51 PM   #25
alansh

Fox is airing the Edna-focused "Bart the Lover" episode of The Simpsons on 11/3 at 7:30/6:30c.
alansh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:07 PM   #26
pteronaut
Registered Snoozer

Not in my region. (Prior to 7PM on Sundays with no NFL scheduled, the affiliates get to choose their programming)
pteronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:19 PM   #27
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansh View Post
Fox is airing the Edna-focused "Bart the Lover" episode of The Simpsons on 11/3 at 7:30/6:30c.
Quote:
Not in my region. (Prior to 7PM on Sundays with no NFL scheduled, the affiliates get to choose their programming)
Shame. That's a classic ep and, I think, Wallace won an Emmy for it.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:48 AM   #28
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Quote:
During the Match Game episode they had a quick tribute card to her. It read "To our friend Marcia Wallace, may you rest in <blank>.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:08 PM   #29
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:18 PM   #30
cmontyburns
Excellent.

No "Bart the Lover". It was in the guide but instead they re-ran the episode where Ned and Edna got together. That was disappointing -- I was looking forward to seeing "Bart the Lover" again.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote