TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 214 votes, 4.99 average.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:32 AM   #511
andyf

Wow! Just got a call from Comcast Executive something. They have received my communications and are forwarding to engineering. They'll call back when they have more information. This is the most progress so far.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #512
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaj2276 View Post
After running on 4 tuners, I decided to go back up to 5 tuners a few days ago (again, this is using the 1.5.2 3001 firmware) and that seems to work. Maybe this firmware works with 5 tuners but not 6?
I think it depends on which model cable card you have. I have a PKM800 running 3001 that works fine with 5 tuners. But I also have a PKM801 with the same firmware that only works with 4 tuners.
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #513
HDRyder9

The emails didn't contain a ticket number but it certainly sounds like you're on the right track. Once I got to an executive that understood the issue it was only a couple of days until engineering sent a firmware upgrade.

Apparently, Comcast currently has a policy for the executive to remain in contact until the issue is resolved or deemed unresolvable. I got a couple calls a day until the firmware finally arrived. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyf View Post
Forwarded my Emails to this new address. Not sure how the .PDF helps as it shows tuning to the 6th tuner is fixed in .3001.

HDRyder9, I don't suppose you had a ticket # to refer to?

HDRyder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:21 PM   #514
GriffithStrife

I am having the same problem has AndyF but its not tuners 5 and 6 if I drop down to 3 tuners this prob still happens
GriffithStrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #515
jaj2276

Quote:
I have been running with 5 tuners for a long time now without problems, with 1.5.2.3001.
Unfortunately I still have the same issue with 5 tuners as I do with 6 tuners. Back down to 4 tuners on 1.5.2.3001.

I have an 800 card and have issues with 5 tuners. I was actually told by a Tivo engineer that an 803 card with the latest firmware would solve the issue (although maybe that's because 803 has the 1.5.3.1101 and if you apply that firmware to the 800 cards, they'll work as well).

Last edited by jaj2276 : 11-01-2013 at 12:28 PM.
jaj2276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #516
jaj2276

You know what's really frustrating? When this first issue appeared, it seemed as if Tivo was all over it, TivoMargaret posting here frequently and even forwarding engineering comments.

Then after a few weeks, nothing. Basically it's as if Tivo said "ok, we've reached our limit, users are on their own."

It would be quite helpful if senior people at Tivo could contact senior people at the cable companies and facilitate a way for those affected to get this resolved instead of people just randomly emailing/calling various addresses/ph #s.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #517
AdamNJ

Cablevision NDS card users -- beta testers needed

I got an email from Ed at Cablevision, the same guy that helped me to get the new Cisco 1.5.3.1101 firmware. He is fishing for NDS users to beta test.

PM me and I will give you his email address. I'm not going to post in it the forum.

Quote:
We are reviewing emails from customers who advised that they were having issues with the new TiVo’s. Is your TiVo using an NDS cable card ?
If so and you would like to be included in the beta group please respond with either your account number or your full phone number.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:26 PM   #518
jaj2276

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNJ View Post
I got an email from Ed at Cablevision, the same guy that helped me to get the new Cisco 1.5.3.1101 firmware. He is fishing for NDS users to beta test.

PM me and I will give you his email address. I'm not going to post in it the forum.
Any way we can get Ed hired at Comcast?
Old 11-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #519
Am_I_Evil

Quote:
I got an email from Ed at Cablevision, the same guy that helped me to get the new Cisco 1.5.3.1101 firmware. He is fishing for NDS users to beta test. PM me and I will give you his email address. I'm not going to post in it the forum.
Thanks man...he's added me to the list...
Am_I_Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #520
jaj2276

I got a call from my local Comcast manager (? not sure about whether he was a manager or not, was hard to understand his first few sentences). Unfortunately he didn't even know you could get more than two tuners with one cablecard! Fortunately he seemed eager to help and said he'd get back to me in the next few days (not counting weekend days natch).

This was more attention than I've received before so fingers crossed.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:49 PM   #521
johnner1999

Quote:

I've got to say Cablevision errr optimum - actually tries to help. Kudos

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
johnner1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:16 AM   #522
HDRyder9

48 hours and all six tuners are still working. The pixilation is much better but not 100% fixed.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:46 AM   #523
DigitalDawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRyder9 View Post
48 hours and all six tuners are still working. The pixilation is much better but not 100% fixed.
Where in Florida are you located?
DigitalDawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:48 AM   #524
Sevrin grey

I'm located in the south suburbs of Chicago and I have comcast and I just hooked up my new roamio plus yesterday and I'm able to use 6 tuners
Sevrin grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:26 AM   #525
HDRyder9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDawn View Post
Where in Florida are you located?
The Comcast head end I'm dependent on is Bonita Springs.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:29 AM   #526
NJguy

Quote:

I PM'd you AdamNJ.
NJguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #527
sanyewest

cant pm AdamNJ ty to the rulz, To be able to send PMs your post count must be 10 or greater. look like i have to wait n hope 1 day i get update if not then i live with 5 tuner .
sanyewest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #528
NJguy

Don't know if you can get PMs yet but I did just send you one with info needed. Ed got back to me within the day so hopefully this is coming to a close soon for us NY/NJ Cablevision NDS card users....maybe all Cablevision NDS card users.
NJguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:59 PM   #529
bmgoodman

I just got BB to match Tivo's $500 Roamio Pro offer. I'm about to unbox, and I'm wondering what the latest information is on the CableCards. Are the Scientific Atlantic the ones to get (if there is any choice) for Comcast?
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #530
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgoodman View Post
I just got BB to match Tivo's $500 Roamio Pro offer. I'm about to unbox, and I'm wondering what the latest information is on the CableCards. Are the Scientific Atlantic the ones to get (if there is any choice) for Comcast?
You can't choose. What cards you get depend on your cable headend. Your cable company will give you the ones that are required.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #531
andyf

You won't have a choice. The type of card has to match the headend. Also, you can't tell the f/w version # until you plug it in.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #532
bmgoodman

Quote:
You won't have a choice. The type of card has to match the headend. Also, you can't tell the f/w version # until you plug it in.
If my existing Tivo S3 has 2 cards with PKEY1.5.2_F.p.3001 and my Tivo HD has 1 card with that also, can I assume that is what I'm likely to get with a new cablecard (Cisco)? Meaning that at best 4 tuners will work?
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #533
andyf

I've been working with .3001 and 5 tuners without the v58 Not Authorized message.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:26 PM   #534
Jesse.D

I've got the same headaches of tuning with Cisco / SA M-Stream and Cisco Tuning Adapter (STA-1250) and my Roamio Plus. Time Warner Cable Northeast Wisconsin (TWC NEW)

HW: 0800
Ver: 0012
Bldr Ver: 124
FW: 1.5.2_F.p.0702

TA:
Tuner: -2dB
FDC: -4 dB
RDC: 40 dB
PTV OS: Explorer1kg6 NGL OS
Flash: STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1501
Apps: SARA v1.61.41.a202

I can't even get 4 tuners to work reliably after restarting. I've limited it to 3, but it still has a fail. Maybe 88632 will limit it to two?

I can get very reliable internet with them, to the point where I can download the latest Kali at 4.5MB / sec. How the heck can their cable service use such old firmware?

Right now I'll have a tuner fail, out of the 3, and it will get stuck. I can still lose access to a channel like BBC America.

Jesse - CCNA R&S
---
People say the road to Hell is paved with good intentions.
Why? Do they think there's a shortage or bad ones?
Jesse.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #535
jaj2276

My local Comcast executive left me a voice mail saying they were aware of the problem and were planning on releasing a fix sometime in 1Q or 2Q of 2014. They're testing it out in a few local markets but he said there wasn't a way to get it to me.

I'm going to write back to Comcast and see if I can get a monthly discount on my bill until they actually release the fix.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #536
HDRyder9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaj2276 View Post
My local Comcast executive left me a voice mail saying they were aware of the problem and were planning on releasing a fix sometime in 1Q or 2Q of 2014. They're testing it out in a few local markets but he said there wasn't a way to get it to me.

I'm going to write back to Comcast and see if I can get a monthly discount on my bill until they actually release the fix.
That sounds like BS to me. Your Comcast exec is just being lazy. They could upgrade firmware one card at a time if they wanted to.

A cable card is nothing more than a PCMCIA compute card. You could upgrade it yourself if you had an old PC with a PCMCIA slot and the firmware from Cisco. I'm going to contact Cisco and see what it takes to get the firmware.

Cheers!
Old 11-04-2013, 12:37 PM   #537
Jesse.D

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRyder9 View Post
That sounds like BS to me. Your Comcast exec is just being lazy. They could upgrade firmware one card at a time if they wanted to.

A cable card is nothing more than a PCMCIA compute card. You could upgrade it yourself if you had an old PC with a PCMCIA slot and the firmware from Cisco. I'm going to contact Cisco and see what it takes to get the firmware.

Cheers!
To be fair, and I don't know much about cable equipment: Could updating the firmware on the CC / TA cause problems with it linking to the head end if that isn't updated as well?

Jesse - CCNA R&S
---
Why? Do they think there's a shortage of bad ones?
Jesse.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:47 PM   #538
HDRyder9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse.D View Post
To be fair, and I don't know much about cable equipment: Could updating the firmware on the CC / TA cause problems with it linking to the head end if that isn't updated as well?

Jesse - CCNA R&S
---
Why? Do they think there's a shortage of bad ones?
Cable cards adhere to Cablelabs standards. Any and all firmware should work with the head end.

While I am a Cisco reseller I am not a Cisco cable reseller so, they are not forthcoming on the cable card firmware. I'm still trying.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #539
pshivers
Retired!

First I wanted say hello as a new member here and to say Thank You for all the information in the last 18 pages. I just finished reading it all yesterday!!!

I have a month old Tivo Roamio Pro and am using Charter Cable here in the San Gabriel Valley in Sunny Southern California, (City of Alhambra). The Roamio Pro (My first Tivo since the DirecTV unit I had 15 years ago??) has not reliably worked on Switched Digital programing since I installed it in early October 2013. I'm on a first name basis with several of the local Charter Techs who have tried everything they know to do to try and fix the problem of using all 6 tuners reliably on the Roamio Pro. Biggest problem to solve was figuring out it was a "6" tuner problem to begin with... Long story short they have been unable to resolve the problem, but did at least confirm there were no "other" problems with my system, or the infrastructure connecting me to the Head Office. They did swap out 4 different TA's, One CableCard, dropped a dedicated cable from the pole to my Tivo (leaving my other 4 Cisco DVR's on the original drop). They even ran a single cable direct from the Tivo to the Pole to bypass the coax under my house in the crawl space... I must say I have an excellent connection to Charter throughout the house, but I've always had excellent service with them including Cable TV/Internet and Telephone.

After reading most of this thread I tried inputting the code to limit my Roamio to 4 tuners. I immediately (after rebooting), was able to watch all channels without any further "Unauthorized" messages appearing. This was this past Saturday and I left it alone for the rest of the day so I could enjoy all of my College Football, figuring 4 tuners is far better than the 2 tuners the Charter Cisco DVR use to provide me.

I finished reading this thread Sunday morning and decided to up my tuner count to 5 tuners from 4 and see what happened as many had indicated positive results with that configuration.

My Tivo Roamio Pro has been running without a problem since Noon Sunday (11/03/2013) playing and recording on 5 tuners. I forced 5 simultaneous recordings of "Premium" copy protected channels this morning with perfect results!

I could never do that with all 6 tuners activated.

I checked my Cisco CC and the OS Ver: PKEY1.5.2_F.p.2401 which is not at the minimum release of PKEY1.5.2_F.p.2801, Charter claims they can not release an update until it has been "Fully tested"....

Charter also utilizes a Cisco Tuning Adapter (STA1520), I am not certain how this may play into the 6 tuner problem.

For now the "5 Tuner" band-aid fix will tide me over until Charter finds an actual real fix for the problem. I have notified my Charter Tech of my findings and expect he will get back to me ASAP as they seem very motivated in resolving the problem!

Again Thanks for all the input, I can now at least enjoy most of the functionality of my new Tivo Roamio Pro, albeit with only 5 tuners!!!
pshivers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:06 PM   #540
AdamNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse.D View Post
I've got the same headaches of tuning with Cisco / SA M-Stream and Cisco Tuning Adapter (STA-1250) and my Roamio Plus. Time Warner Cable Northeast Wisconsin (TWC NEW)

HW: 0800
Ver: 0012
Bldr Ver: 124
FW: 1.5.2_F.p.0702

TA:
Tuner: -2dB
FDC: -4 dB
RDC: 40 dB
PTV OS: Explorer1kg6 NGL OS
Flash: STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1501
Apps: SARA v1.61.41.a202
Your CC firmware is way too old. Try talking to someone and convince them of the issue. By law they have to support at least 4 tuners and that isn't possible with such an old firmware. You can also try a complaint to the FCC if you don't get anywhere to TWC.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote