TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:15 AM   #31
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellinj View Post
does entering Tivo central on the mini also cause the tuner to be released?
By all accounts, yes
Old 11-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #32
telamon

I sense this might justify my upgrading to a Roamio.
telamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:56 PM   #33
martyscholes

The official word from Tivo is in

We have removed the tuner allocation and it now has dynamic allocation with the tuner. This means that when the TiVo Mini goes to find a tuner it will find one that is available. If you are recording on all four tuners that means that he will not find a tuner to be able to watch from the Main TiVo box.
I probably could have predicted that response.
martyscholes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:48 PM   #34
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyscholes View Post
We have removed the tuner allocation and it now has dynamic allocation with the tuner. This means that when the TiVo Mini goes to find a tuner it will find one that is available. If you are recording on all four tuners that means that he will not find a tuner to be able to watch from the Main TiVo box.
I probably could have predicted that response.
Have you thought about setting up a repeating manual recording and putting it at the top of the priority list? Whenever all tuners are in use and he wants to surf, he can stop and delete that recording.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:54 PM   #35
martyscholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
Have you thought about setting up a repeating manual recording and putting it at the top of the priority list? Whenever all tuners are in use and he wants to surf, he can stop and delete that recording.
That's a good idea. I also canceled our suspense movie recordings and it seems we mostly have a tuner available. Kind of annoying, though.
martyscholes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:52 AM   #36
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I am having a hard time with your problem, if you reserved one tuner as you did before DTA you can't record 4 things at once, so if you were not recording 4 things before what changed ??
To OP:

As mentioned previously in above quote, you still have use of the same 3 tuners you always had to record the other programs when the tuner was dedicated to the mini, so why all the sudden is it an issue now that dynamic tuner allocation has occurred? If anything it gives you more recording options for the times the mini isn't being used for live tv!
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:05 AM   #37
supasta

Tonight I found myself with the same issue as the OP. I was getting the 'no tuner for live TV available' message on the Mini. However, the Premiere was only recording 3 shows at the time. A restart of the Premiere 4 fixed the problem.

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #38
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by supasta View Post
Tonight I found myself with the same issue as the OP. I was getting the 'no tuner for live TV available' message on the Mini. However, the Premiere was only recording 3 shows at the time. A restart of the Premiere 4 fixed the problem.
That's expected in some circumstances.

Remember the host has a tuner for itself to output live-tv. If live-tv on the host happens to be one of the recording channels, then 4 channels can be recorded. But if it is a different channel, then all 4 tuners are taken up by 3 recording shows and the host live-tv show, and in that case the Mini will not be able to get a tuner until one is freed up (by either stopping a recording or changing the host live-tv tuner to one of the recording shows.)

You shouldn't need to restart.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:19 AM   #39
supasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post

You shouldn't need to restart.
Correct. I shouldn't have needed a restart, but I did.

The Premiere appeared to have three tuners (all recording) and one tuner appeared to still be tied to the Mini (live TV). This was the correct behavior prior to the most recent update. However, that update should have corrected that with the inclusion of DTA. I checked immediately after the restart. The behavior was different than prior to the restart. The restart clearly corrected the issue, as was also suggested by previous posters in this thread.

I remembered seeing this thread a while back. I thought that a post on what I experienced may help someone in a similar circumstance, just as previous posts had helped me.

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #40
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Ah, I misunderstood, sorry. I thought you were complaining about a general situation of only recording 3 shows, but instead you were saying that a one-time reboot to set up DTA correctly might be needed (and I agree with that).
Old 11-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #41
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by supasta View Post
Correct. I shouldn't have needed a restart, but I did.

The Premiere appeared to have three tuners (all recording) and one tuner appeared to still be tied to the Mini (live TV). This was the correct behavior prior to the most recent update. However, that update should have corrected that with the inclusion of DTA. I checked immediately after the restart. The behavior was different than prior to the restart. The restart clearly corrected the issue, as was also suggested by previous posters in this thread.

I remembered seeing this thread a while back. I thought that a post on what I experienced may help someone in a similar circumstance, just as previous posts had helped me.
It's also possible that prior to the restart, you had 3-tuners recording and the foreground tuner in "Live TV" tied to the Premiere. After the restart, the foreground tuner might be on one of the recording channels and thus a tuner is available to the Mini. The only way to test this is, if it happens again, make one of the recording tuners the foreground tuner and see if a tuner becomes available to the Mini.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #42
Bigg

Mine just worked.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote