TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-30-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
DM3MD157

I have a Premiere 4, is it worth upgrading?

I recently bought a Premiere 4 (3 weeks ago) used for a great price. I have since upgraded the HDD to 2TB. I am toying with the thought of selling it and buying the Roamio Plus. I know that it has an extra 2 tuners and the HTML5 interface is a bit faster, however I am not sure whether or not it is worth selling it and spending the extra money to upgrade. I figured I would ask you kind folks since I'm sure someone was in the same situation. Any input is much appreciated!
DM3MD157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
John McKee
Free

For the extra two tuners? I came from a Premiere and often I ran into a three tuner issue, the forth tuner is icing and rare, it rarely lights up and only for something I really don't care about. TWC blocks TiVo stream anyways so that was no advantage so I'm very glad I saved $200.

I think it makes sense for people that are committing to whole house media streaming but I found myself in the trap of saying "Well, I mean, it's just $200 and it has a 2 extra tuners!" So I'm very glad I didn't spend more money for 2 more tuners.

Individual situations vary and a plus or pro might be best for you but I was very much on the fence during the return period of the Roamio Basic and for me personally now 100% feel the Basic was the right decision.
John McKee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
DM3MD157

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McKee View Post
For the extra two tuners? I came from a Premiere and often I ran into a three tuner issue, the forth tuner is icing and rare, it rarely lights up and only for something I really don't care about. TWC blocks TiVo stream anyways so that was no advantage so I'm very glad I saved $200.

I think it makes sense for people that are committing to whole house media streaming but I found myself in the trap of saying "Well, I mean, it's just $200 and it has a 2 extra tuners!" So I'm very glad I didn't spend more money for 2 more tuners.

Individual situations vary and a plus or pro might be best for you but I was very much on the fence during the return period of the Roamio Basic and for me personally now 100% feel the Basic was the right decision.
Thanks for your input! For me the decision isn't between getting the Roamio Basic vs Plus. It is between ditching the Premiere 4 to get a Plus. You having the Roamio Basic have the faster UI that HTML5 affords. That is one of the things I question is worth switching for, series 4 to 5.
DM3MD157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:39 PM   #4
John McKee
Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM3MD157 View Post
Thanks for your input! For me the decision isn't between getting the Roamio Basic vs Plus. It is between ditching the Premiere 4 to get a Plus. You having the Roamio Basic have the faster UI that HTML5 affords. That is one of the things I question is worth switching for, series 4 to 5.
You mentioned the two extra tuners so I thought I would address that it totally wouldn't be worth it to me. So my answer would be I doubt I would have considered it worth the money at this moment had my Premiere not died. That said, only because I was waiting for Roamio discounts/Refurbs to upgrade. That and I used a Google TV for Netflix and YouTube streaming before which were awful on the Premiere but are great on the a Roamio with iPhone app support like on the Google TV.

It's a solid, solid improvement but the thing I most appreciate about it is the extra two tuners, I would hold out for a good deal.
John McKee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:22 PM   #5
Davelnlr_

I would if they would transfer the product lifetime from the new Premier XL4 I bought in January, but they wont...so Ill just stick with it. Its perfectly fast enough for me, and Tivo said in their email regarding the transfer, that they had no intention of stopping the software updates on the unit. That way my major concern. *IF* I ever need a 5th or 6th tuner, Ill just record on the 2 tuner premier in the bedroom, and watch it via streaming.

Id upgrade if it was just the cost of the box, but not with the cost of lifetime on the new box, plus the loss Id have to take in selling it.
Davelnlr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:11 AM   #6
leiff

I am the owner of an xl4. I am expecting delivery of my roamio basic in a couple of days. Got it for $180 from abt. So after $400 lifetime, roamio will cost me $580. I expect to get about $450 for xl4 so it will cost me a little over a hundred to upgrade. Seems worth it to me, especially since I dont use moca which my xl4 has and roamio basic doesn't. Nor do i need component out; instead ill be buying a $20 hdmi splitter.The smaller form factor of basic roamio means it fits better in my rack and internal fan means its quiter. my xl4 fan noise is too loud! i may apreciate roamio basic OTA functionality at a later time and i have a spare 2tb drive I'll pop into roamio. External power supply (unique to roamio basic) means easier fixing/trouble shooting, and I dont need 6 tunners or stream that plus has.

I feel the longer i wait for a roamio deal, the less my xl4 will be worth. In other words, I dont get the impression it will be any cheaper to upgrade the longer i wait. Yes i have sour grapes having bought into the premier series so soon before series 5 and watching the value of my xl4 plummet. Had i known, i probably would have skipped s4 and gone- S3 straight to S5. It was nice to be able to download 4 simulations streams from the 2012 london Olympics though!

Last edited by leiff : 10-31-2013 at 07:28 AM.
leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:54 AM   #7
retiredjd

Yes, it is worth it to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM3MD157 View Post
I recently bought a Premiere 4 (3 weeks ago) used for a great price. I have since upgraded the HDD to 2TB. I am toying with the thought of selling it and buying the Roamio Plus. I know that it has an extra 2 tuners and the HTML5 interface is a bit faster, however I am not sure whether or not it is worth selling it and spending the extra money to upgrade. I figured I would ask you kind folks since I'm sure someone was in the same situation. Any input is much appreciated!
I just ordered the Roamio Plus to replace my Premier 4. Two extra tuners, more hard drive, faster response, state of the art...Yes I believe it is worth it. Plus I have a TiVo mini. Got it for $349.
retiredjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:39 AM   #8
leiff

U got a plus/mini 4 $349? Wondering if i should refuse shipment of my basic/mini for $269?? Tempting At just $80 more.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:43 AM   #9
NYHeel

hate to speak for someone else, but I read it as he got the Plus for $349 and he previously owned a Mini.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:01 PM   #10
leiff

So about $150 more more for the plus then. Think ill still stick with basic roamio. It was easier to justify when it was $200 cheaper though,
Old 10-31-2013, 02:51 PM   #11
KenVa

I don't know why everyone wants a plus or a pro. The basic has OTA capability that the plus and the pro never will. Moca networking to streaming can easily be added to the basic model and now disk upgrades are super easy. The basic model can be made to be better than either the plus or pro. How often do you really need to record more than 4 channels at once. The few instances that you may some of them are inevitably going to be off cable channels which repeat like crazy. That all being said I'm looking to upgrade to a Roamio basic from my Premiere 4 soon.
KenVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:56 PM   #12
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Single person or single TV, perhaps. But when you are buying a whole house DVR, intending some day to hang 2-3 Minis off of it and maybe an additional person or two remotely streaming, tuners will disappear quickly.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:12 PM   #13
swerver

Exactly. 4 tuners is plenty, I agree, I only had 2 before about a month ago (not counting a few months with a 4 tuner ceton and wmc) and got by fine. But, once you go whole home, 4 becomes a little tight. In my case the built in moca is great since I don't have ethernet run throughout the house, and it's nice to not need additional devices. Same with stream, if you want one, may as well have it built right in instead of another device.

One size does not fit all.
swerver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:35 PM   #14
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenVa View Post
I don't know why everyone wants a plus or a pro. The basic has OTA capability that the plus and the pro never will. Moca networking to streaming can easily be added to the basic model and now disk upgrades are super easy. The basic model can be made to be better than either the plus or pro. How often do you really need to record more than 4 channels at once. The few instances that you may some of them are inevitably going to be off cable channels which repeat like crazy. That all being said I'm looking to upgrade to a Roamio basic from my Premiere 4 soon.
As CC said - I am not in my house alone. I am feeding the family room and two additional TV's with Mini's. I could see me adding another Mini at a later date.

All three models have a market.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:48 PM   #15
mattack

A very large percentage of the shows I watch (including both broadcast & cable channels) need padding. So for me, the extra tuners would help with padding issues, and to consolidate to one Tivo. Currently, the working Tivos I have are a Premiere 4 and a Tivo HD. Mostly for the speed AND to consolidate to one Tivo, for a while I was seriously considering getting a 6 tuner Roamio. I think I have now "cooled off" a lot, but it's still not out of the question. I currently have one TV, but if I ever get another, I would then likely get a Tivo Mini.

Anyway, most of the shows I record need padding, so 6 tuners REALLY isn't 6 independent shows on at one time (from the person's perspective). It's really *3* things on at a time in two abutting time slots, any 3 of which that need padding.

e.g. 8-9:01 PM channel 2, 8-9 PM channel 7, 8-9:01 PM channel 9, 9-10 PM channel 3, 8:59-10PM channel 4, 9-10PM channel 5..

and that's not a ridiculous situation, at least for things I record.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #16
Doit2it

What about menu speed? Is it a worthy factor in upgrading? I currently have an XL4 which I am loving the fall update (HD wishlists, group delete works finally, group play messages in info area, etc.) I cashed in 4 years of pocket change at Coinstar yesterday for a $317 Amazon gift card. It's burning a hole in my pocket (bad pun).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tivo XL4 w/LT :: TiVo HD w/LT & 2TB :: LG 47" & 42" HDTVs
Tivo HD w/LT - Mom :: Series 2 80 - Boxed :: Series 2 40 - Boxed
Doit2it is offline   Reply With Quote