TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-01-2013, 03:28 PM   #61
aaronwt
HD Addict

So far I have not seen any reboots using Netflix on my Roamio Pro. Since Netflix made the SuperHD change last week, I've used Netflix at least twenty times on my Roamio Pro.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:45 PM   #62
matt.macgibbon

are you using ethernet, wifi, or MoCa?
matt.macgibbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:39 PM   #63
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt.macgibbon View Post
are you using ethernet, wifi, or MoCa?
You have to direct your question at someone...
Old 10-01-2013, 10:06 PM   #64
Icarus

Mine just rebooted, first time I've seen it, though tuners are acting flaky, hard to know if it's tivo or the cable. Now it's installing an update .........
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:06 PM   #65
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Unfortunately I ruined the test because I fell asleep last night at the TV and when I woke, I forgot to unplug the HDMI cable.
OK, some time has passed with no more procedural issues. I have now proven beyond any doubt that my Roamio rebooting is, indeed, solved by disconnecting the HDMI cable when the TV is "off", just like Margret suggested. This also means that the repeated rebooting is *caused* by being connected to this particular TV when it is "off".

I will now move on to trying the TiVo "standby" mode instead of disconnecting the HDMI cable to see if that works as an alternate work-around for this major bug/issue... I should know the results pretty quickly.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #66
aaronwt
HD Addict

Maybe an active hdmi splitter will work?
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:47 AM   #67
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
OK, some time has passed with no more procedural issues. I have now proven beyond any doubt that my Roamio rebooting is, indeed, solved by disconnecting the HDMI cable when the TV is "off", just like Margret suggested. This also means that the repeated rebooting is *caused* by being connected to this particular TV when it is "off".

I will now move on to trying the TiVo "standby" mode instead of disconnecting the HDMI cable to see if that works as an alternate work-around for this major bug/issue... I should know the results pretty quickly.
Thanks for the updates. This is an interesting (albeit annoying) bug for those people that are experiencing it... I wonder what is happening to trigger the reboot.

For the record, I don't have a Roamio yet.
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:40 AM   #68
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post
Thanks for the updates. This is an interesting (albeit annoying) bug for those people that are experiencing it... I wonder what is happening to trigger the reboot.
Margret said it has something to do with the TV model.

Yes, it is annoying. I fell asleep watching TV, again, and went to bed at 3am, forgetting to put it in standby or unplug the HDMI. It rebooted at 4:12am and then AGAIN at 6:40am this morning.

(And yes, this ruined my second testing of using standby as an alternative to unplugging the HDMI, but I will keep working on it and should have a conclusion this weekend, I hope)
Old 10-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #69
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Margret said it has something to do with the TV model.
I'm wondering what those particular models are doing that TiVo can't seem to deal with? Is it the TiVo that can't handle (or ignore) rogue commands, or maybe the devices are doing some kind of polling, and the TiVo isn't handling the request properly? I'm just thinking out-loud

Quote:
Yes, it is annoying. I fell asleep watching TV, again, and went to bed at 3am, forgetting to put it in standby or unplug the HDMI. It rebooted at 4:12am and then AGAIN at 6:40am this morning.

(And yes, this ruined my second testing of using standby as an alternative to unplugging the HDMI, but I will keep working on it and should have a conclusion this weekend, I hope)
Keep us posted, and I hope you get a fix, form TiVo, soon
Old 10-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #70
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown9 View Post
I put mine on standby when I'm not using it. Since that disables the output, I wonder if that would make a difference? Maybe that's why I don't see the reboots when I'm not using it (I can tell because the SPS9S clock in the upper right corner would disappear if it rebooted). It's easier than disconnecting the cable.
Testing complete!

Looks like your prediction was correct! Putting the Roamio in standby is just as effective as unplugging the HDMI cable for preventing the rebooting. Kinda surprising, and much more convenient. Thanks.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:45 PM   #71
restanim

Hi all,
I have a Roamio Plus connected to my Pioneer plasma TV. The model number is PDP-6010FD. My Roamio is connected via HDMI and I am getting the reboot problem. The internet connection is by the wired LAN. My previous DVR was the original Series 3 with no reboot issues.
restanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #72
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by restanim View Post
I have a Roamio Plus connected to my Pioneer plasma TV. The model number is PDP-6010FD. My Roamio is connected via HDMI and I am getting the reboot problem.
Well, if you are discovering it is rebooting with the TV off, then start putting the Roamio in standby whenever the TV is off. It is easy- just touch the front panel light on the left and wait a moment and it will go into standby. When ready to use it again, just touch that area and it will wake up.

Margret is putting me into the next beta- supposedly coming in a few weeks, that is supposed to address the issue.

Quote:
My previous DVR was the original Series 3 with no reboot issues.
I have had nearly every TiVo model and have never seen this issue until the Roamio. And this particular 52" Vizio LCD (08-2007) was connected to my Premiere and TiVo HD the exact same way.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #73
restanim

crxssi, thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Well, if you are discovering it is rebooting with the TV off, then start putting the Roamio in standby whenever the TV is off. It is easy- just touch the front panel light on the left and wait a moment and it will go into standby. When ready to use it again, just touch that area and it will wake up.
The reboot does occur while the TV is off, however, I don't want to put my Roamio in stand-by because I watch TV using my Slingbox on my computer in the other room or sometimes at work.

I have only seen the reboot twice.

Mike
Old 10-06-2013, 10:26 PM   #74
bbrown9

Quote:
crxssi, thanks for the suggestion.

The reboot does occur while the TV is off, however, I don't want to put my Roamio in stand-by because I watch TV using my Slingbox on my computer in the other room or sometimes at work.

Mike
Standby won't stop you from being able to do that. It just shuts off the video out port.
bbrown9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:03 PM   #75
restanim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown9 View Post
Standby won't stop you from being able to do that. It just shuts off the video out port.
The component video out of the Roamio connects to the component in on the Slingbox. If the video out port is off, then there won't be any video for the Slingbox to pass if the Roamio is in standby, right?
Old 10-06-2013, 11:14 PM   #76
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

fix available in Beta

I believe we have a fix for the problem, and I expect it to be released before the end of the month. If you'd like to help verify the fix, you can sign up for the Beta program. To do so:

1. Register your Roamio at http://fieldtrials.tivo.com

2. Send me an email and let me know you've done so. Use the subject: "Roamio HDMI TV issue".

--Margret
TiVo Inc. *
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVoMargret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:49 PM   #77
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Not sure exactly how that works, if it does affect it, then unplug the HDMI each time instead.

Quote:
If you have caught it twice, it has probably been doing it dozens and dozens of times you don't know about.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:16 AM   #78
restanim

I say I've seen it twice because I caught it live today and there was only one other time where all the tuners were on the same channel.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:33 AM   #79
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

I could swear it is getting worse. I forgot again last night to put it in standby and this time it rebooted THREE times in a 5.5 hour period!

FAIL: Mon Oct 7 02:30:34 EDT 2013

FAIL: Mon Oct 7 05:54:48 EDT 2013

FAIL: Mon Oct 7 06:32:53 EDT 2013
Old 10-07-2013, 08:57 AM   #80
moyekj

As aaronwt posted above it's likely an ACTIVE HDMI splitter would work around the problem since it would keep HDMI handshake alive with TV off. Or just use component output for now instead. (For those that don't want to wait for fix from TiVo).
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:19 AM   #81
restanim

crxssi,
Where do you get the failure history that you post?
Old 10-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #82
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
crxssi,
Where do you get the failure history that you post?
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...54#post9824954
Old 10-19-2013, 07:39 AM   #83
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
I could swear it is getting worse. I forgot again last night to put it in standby and this time it rebooted THREE times in a 5.5 hour period!

FAIL: Mon Oct 7 02:30:34 EDT 2013

FAIL: Mon Oct 7 05:54:48 EDT 2013

FAIL: Mon Oct 7 06:32:53 EDT 2013
Problems fixed with the updates!
Old 10-19-2013, 09:25 AM   #84
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Problems fixed with the updates!
Great news!
Old 10-22-2013, 08:31 PM   #85
jadziedzic

Interesting - my Roamio has rebooted twice in the last few days, and it appears (from the network status screen) that the last reboot happened at the time of the most recent network connection. Odd thing is, my TiVo is connected via component cables ...

I've added a Mini within the past week, so I wonder if there's a connection?

I've forwarded the info to Margret; maybe they'll see something.
jadziedzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #86
ronamay

We are still having this issue and I think we have the newest update on our Roamio Pro. I love all the features of this Tivo except for reboots... cutting off recordings, putting all tuners on the same station even if I left tuners on specific stations for a reason, and when I turn on the tv it's in reboot mode almost every time. Ugh! I'm frustrated for sure but my husband is about to really lose it!

We have a Samsung LED Series 6 - 6350.
I've signed up for the beta fix and sent an email to TivoMargret

Please fix it Tivo!!!
ronamay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:53 PM   #87
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronamay View Post
We are still having this issue and I think we have the newest update on our Roamio Pro. I love all the features of this Tivo except for reboots... [...]on the tv it's in reboot mode almost every time. Ugh! I'm frustrated for sure but my husband is about to really lose it!

We have a Samsung LED Series 6 - 6350.
I've signed up for the beta fix and sent an email to TivoMargret

Please fix it Tivo!!!
The reboots caused by HDMI have been fixed and this is already confirmed. If you are talking about reboots caused by something else (like Netflix), I don't know. There is also a possibility your unit is just defective...
Old 11-01-2013, 06:19 PM   #88
ustavio

Quote:
The reboots caused by HDMI have been fixed and this is already confirmed. If you are talking about reboots caused by something else (like Netflix), I don't know. There is also a possibility your unit is just defective...
I have also been experiencing random reboots. Mainly every time I use Netflix. I was just watching Netflix and dropped out with a "we're having trouble with this title right now please check again". I backed out to the Tivo menu to be greeted by a C133 error (apparently a loss of internet connection).... but I was also on my computer at the same time and did NOT lose my internet connection. There was some drop in the connection on Tivo's end. There is something hinky going on with Tivo and/or Netflix and it is an on going problem that has nothing to do with HDMI. I have doubts it is a defective unit unless there are a LOT of defective units out there.

Out of all the Tivo units I've ever owned, the Roamio has been the most temperamental. Instead of introducing new features, perhaps they should insure the basics work properly regardless of which television or cable provider one uses.
ustavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:06 AM   #89
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustavio View Post
I have also been experiencing random reboots. Mainly every time I use Netflix. I was just watching Netflix and dropped out with a "we're having trouble with this title right now please check again". I backed out to the Tivo menu to be greeted by a C133 error (apparently a loss of internet connection).... but I was also on my computer at the same time and did NOT lose my internet connection. There was some drop in the connection on Tivo's end. There is something hinky going on with Tivo and/or Netflix and it is an on going problem that has nothing to do with HDMI. I have doubts it is a defective unit unless there are a LOT of defective units out there.

Out of all the Tivo units I've ever owned, the Roamio has been the most temperamental. Instead of introducing new features, perhaps they should insure the basics work properly regardless of which television or cable provider one uses.
I am having the same problem, but I thought it was my router. When this happens, I lose all internet connectivity, and have to reboot the router.

I also can't get 1080p/24 anymore. I posted about this here as I used to get 1080p/24 before the update. I have to admit that I did disable 1080p/24 a while ago due to the TiVo blanking out when streaming in /24.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:19 AM   #90
ustavio

Quote:
I reviewed my reply to your post and felt I may have come off a little snarky regarding your thoughts on a defective unit. It wasn't intended and I apologize if it seemed that way. I moving into the "hair-pulling" phase with this one issue and truly do appreciate your feedback. Every piece if information is valuable and contributes toward a solution to the puzzle. I only wish Tivo and/or Netflix were as helpful as the folks on this forum.
ustavio is offline   Reply With Quote