TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-01-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
RusRus

Roamio OTA Reception Is Lower! ! !

My series 3 HD DVR had much better signal strength than my Roamio. The HD DVR had 100% on UHF channels but my Roamio only registers 85%.

The lower OTA channels are similarly lower as well.

Is this due to four tuners vs two tuners? If not, what would cause the lower signal strength?
RusRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

Could be. Although I seem to remember reading a post once that explained that the calculation used between the S3 and Premiere lines had actually changed so the numbers weren't comparable. So it could be that you're getting the same signal and the Roamio is just calculating the percentage differently.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:43 AM   #3
pautler

I can't comment on the comparison between a series3 and a Roamio since I went from a direct OTA connection to my TV to an OTA connection to a Roamio, but I feel that my reception is just as good, if not better, with the Roamio.

The signal strength meter on my Roamio does indeed show lower values than the signal strength meter on my TV did, but I'm not sure they are comparable to each other (as the other poster said, they might be calculated differently).

With the Roamio I still pick up all of the same channels that I did before with the antenna directly connected to the TV, and the 2 channels that used to be borderline "hit or miss" channels on my TV seem to come in much stronger on the Roamio.

Also, for what it's worth, I've seen my signal strength numbers fluctuate as much as 5-10 points depending on the day, time, weather, etc, when I check them.

-Joe
pautler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:06 AM   #4
jrtroo
User

On another thread it was mentioned that signal strength should be treated as relative to the machine itself. That is, comparing across product lines it had become clear that they were, indeed, not comparable when doing a similar review of the viewing experience and quality of picture.

If it looks good, then you are good. Right?
Old 11-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #5
Joe Siegler

I've noticed this too, but I've also noticed my neighbor's gigantic tree being a little fuller lately.

It's not affecting recordings, however.

TiVo Roamio 75hr unmodified, TiVo Roamio 316hr/2TB, both OTA only.
Joe Siegler is offline   Reply With Quote