TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-22-2013, 10:23 PM   #1
oldskoolboarder

CableCARD Pairing Error 1040

I am having trouble w/ my S3 (with lifetime service) and installs of multistream CableCARDs. I have 3 cards and all seem to connect fine on my HD Tivo, providing both Host and Data ID so that I can relay them to Comcast.

When I take these same CableCARDs and put them into my S3, I get an odd pairing error.

Authorization Failure 1040. Host Certificate Invalid.

Spent time w/ Tivo on chat and via phone and both agreed there was some type of hardware problem w/ my S3 because it was not providing a certificate to the CableCARDs. The solution was to replace my Tivo w/ a different box that that requires me to buy a refurb at a discounted rate AND have to transfer the lifetime sub for another $200. Good grief.

Has anyone had this problem and figured out a fix/workaround? I just want the dang cards to allow me to pair. I've rebooted and checked the cable lines. I've cleaned the contacts on the S3, nothing solves it.

I've had this working w/ CableCARDs as recently as 3 years ago before we shut off cable but we came back. So it did work at some point.
oldskoolboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:41 AM   #2
pmiranda

Does the S3 have any other issues? Audio dropouts? It's possible the cablecard issue is the canary for a failing power supply, which you could swap out yourself for under $100 with a couple torx drivers. You could pop the lid and check the caps pretty easily.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:34 AM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda View Post
Does the S3 have any other issues? Audio dropouts? It's possible the cablecard issue is the canary for a failing power supply, which you could swap out yourself for under $100 with a couple torx drivers. You could pop the lid and check the caps pretty easily.
And you can repair the power supply for about $10 worth of Low ESR, 105 degree C electrolytic capacitors if you've got a medium to high wattage soldering iron or gun.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
unitron

And if you have the skills and knowledge to de-solder and solder Surface Mount Devices, the 648 is the last of the TiVo models with a separate crypto chip that can be moved (in order to move the TiVo Service Number) to another motherboard.

And by moving the TSN, you enable the new mobo to read the old one's drive, saving all of your shows, and since the lifetime sub is tied to the TSN, you've just moved that as well.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
unitron

But suspect the power supply first.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:36 PM   #6
oldskoolboarder

We don't have any other issues w/ this particular S3 Tivo. What other symptoms would I notice if it was a power supply issue outside of audio dropouts?

Regarding the crypto chip, that's an interesting solution. I can probably find a tech at work do a swap. Are there any pictures you could link that show me where that chip is on the motherboard? Do you how many pins and package type?

Thanks.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:24 AM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskoolboarder View Post
We don't have any other issues w/ this particular S3 Tivo. What other symptoms would I notice if it was a power supply issue outside of audio dropouts?

Regarding the crypto chip, that's an interesting solution. I can probably find a tech at work do a swap. Are there any pictures you could link that show me where that chip is on the motherboard? Do you how many pins and package type?

Thanks.
Power supplies suffering from "capacitor plague" cause all sorts of strange symptoms, any or all of which could also be symptoms of some other problem, but you have to make sure you have a properly functioning supply before you try to troubleshoot anything else.

The brand name on the crypto chip is Atmel, and I think it's the only Atmel chip on the board.

It's square, pins on all four sides, either 8 or 10.

Looks kinda like this:

Highslide JS

But swapping that to another 648 motherboard is definitely a last resort.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #8
oldskoolboarder

Thanks unitron, a 48 pin QFP isn't horrible to deal w/ but definitely beyond my equipment and dexterity level.

I will investigate the power supply when I can disable the unit and open it. From the light research I did on Series 3 forum, it looks like the Series 3 has a unique power supply from the HD Tivos because of the OLED so I can't swap them. Sounds like I have to find a donor S3 to give this a try, correct?
Old 10-25-2013, 12:42 PM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Thanks unitron, a 48 pin QFP isn't horrible to deal w/ but definitely beyond my equipment and dexterity level.

I will investigate the power supply when I can disable the unit and open it. From the light research I did on Series 3 forum, it looks like the Series 3 has a unique power supply from the HD Tivos because of the OLED so I can't swap them. Sounds like I have to find a donor S3 to give this a try, correct?
It's 40 pins at most, or I'd still be trying to rescue my mom's S2 DT.

Find where the antenna and cable plug in and draw a line parallel with that silver RF shielded box from the eSATA port to the CMOS battery, then turn about 30 degrees toward the direction of the power supply and the Atmel chip will be right there. There's another SMD chip between it and the hard drive with a paper lable on it. That's the PROM and not the crypto chip and therefore not the one with the TSN on it, and if you had any business messing with it you'd be over on that other site whose name may not (and cannot) be mentioned here.

Except for the gray 7.5 Volt wire for the OLED, the pinout for the power supply plug that mates with the motherboard socket is the same as on an HD or HD XL, so you could probably take a known good 652 or 658 supply and use it in a 648 temporarily for test purposes, although you wouldn't have a working OLED.

Do not do it the other way around, with a 648 supply in an HD or HD XL, as I don't know what, if anything, the gray wire would be connected (or shorted) to on the 652 or 658 motherboard.!!!

Removing the power supply board requires the same #10 Torx driver that you use to take the lid off, but there's also a screw that goes in from the outside just above where the AC cord plugs in that screws into the plastic of the AC input jack and helps keep repeated pluggings and unpluggings from wiggling the jack and breaking loose the solder connections on the underside of the board, a problem to which S1s and S2s were prone. That easily overlooked screw needs a #8 Torx bit to turn it.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #10
oldskoolboarder

Visual check of the S3 power supply showed no outward signs of bulging caps. Have to wait until this weekend to do a temp power supply swap with my Tivo HD.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:49 PM   #11
unitron

Quote:
Visual check of the S3 power supply showed no outward signs of bulging caps. Have to wait until this weekend to do a temp power supply swap with my Tivo HD.
Do you have access to a voltmeter?

Old 10-29-2013, 11:05 AM   #12
oldskoolboarder

unitron

Yes I do. I'm an engineer and have access to equipment at home and work. Checking voltages is on my to do list.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:51 PM   #13
unitron

Quote:
unitron

Yes I do. I'm an engineer and have access to equipment at home and work. Checking voltages is on my to do list.
If you can lay hands on a scope check for AC ripple on the DC outs as well.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:41 AM   #14
oldskoolboarder

Grr.

Tested w/ my Tivo HD power supply and my Tivo S3 would get past the Powering Up screen.

Interesting to note that the OLED actually lit up though.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:13 AM   #15
unitron

Quote:
Grr.

Tested w/ my Tivo HD power supply and my Tivo S3 would get past the Powering Up screen.

Interesting to note that the OLED actually lit up though.
That is surprising.

Looks like it's time for you to pull the hard drive (you can leave on the bracket for now), hook it to a PC, and run the manufacturer's diagnostic long test on it.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:54 PM   #16
oldskoolboarder

Yeah, that was odd to me as well. After I put it all together, it came back up fine. The odd thing is that this Tivo HDD has about 1.5 years of use. It's the original drive that came w/ the unit. When I bought it, I immediately pulled it and put in a 1 TB. I didn't even turn on this HDD when new. I'm inclined to think that this HDD is fine for the most part.

I'm thinking of trying a full C&D since there's not much content on the drive. When talking w/ Tivo the other week, I had to go several levels deep w/ their tech because this wasn't a common error. The issue (according to them) was that the Tivo wasn't providing a certificate to the Cablecard, creating this issue. I had initially called Tivo to ask what the error code meant so that it could point me in the right direction for debug.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:42 PM   #17
oldskoolboarder

TBH, I looked at this thread

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...94#post8750894

and I didn't look at the tops of the caps. I need to do that.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:44 PM   #18
pmiranda

Yeah, the caps don't have to bulge very much before you start seeing problems. It can be very subtle.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:41 PM   #19
oldskoolboarder

C&D did not fix it. I did a visual check and indeed C701 is bulging. Now off to figure which one that is and make a run to Fry's in the morning.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:09 PM   #20
unitron

Quote:
C&D did not fix it. I did a visual check and indeed C701 is bulging. Now off to figure which one that is and make a run to Fry's in the morning.
In my notes I have C701 down as a 2200uF at 25 V, but I suspect it may have been replaced in the past before I got it and might not need to be more than a 16 V.

I've just had another 648 delivered, but it'll probably be at least 24 hours before I can get it opened and check the supply in it to confirm that theory, and although you wouldn't want to go to a 35 or a 50, you should be able to get away with a 25 because apparently I am.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #21
oldskoolboarder

C701 is definitely a 2200uf 25V as that's what I just pulled from my original power supply. Cap replaced now I have to wait till I get home to power it up and see what happens. Crossing my fingers...

UPDATE: Sadly, no change. Still have the original error. Looks like I have to go to plan B and replace the box. The unfortunate issue is that this is my box w/ the lifetime. 'Fortunately', Tivo is offering to discount a refurb unit and transfer my lifetime to that box. It's much more than I 'think' I should be paying for a customer that's been w/ them since the late 90's but at least that box will have a warranty for a period of time and I'll have some newer, Premiere-level features.

Thanks to Unitron and pmiranda for the guidance and suggestions. It was worth giving a shot and would've been nice if it had worked.

Last edited by oldskoolboarder : 11-02-2013 at 12:12 AM.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:23 AM   #22
unitron

Quote:
C701 is definitely a 2200uf 25V as that's what I just pulled from my original power supply. Cap replaced now I have to wait till I get home to power it up and see what happens. Crossing my fingers...

UPDATE: Sadly, no change. Still have the original error. Looks like I have to go to plan B and replace the box. The unfortunate issue is that this is my box w/ the lifetime. 'Fortunately', Tivo is offering to discount a refurb unit and transfer my lifetime to that box. It's much more than I 'think' I should be paying for a customer that's been w/ them since the late 90's but at least that box will have a warranty for a period of time and I'll have some newer, Premiere-level features.

Thanks to Unitron and pmiranda for the guidance and suggestions. It was worth giving a shot and would've been nice if it had worked.
Yeah, I just opened up the 648 I just got and it's definately a 25V cap.

I wonder if your 648 isn't savable, though. It could be there are one or more other bad caps that aren't showing visible signs.