TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-01-2013, 06:10 AM   #301
igirl
Tivo and EyeTV User

I'm jealous of your Roamio - tempted to upgrade our P4 - but you're right Brighthouse copy protects so much it's hardly worth it - except for the 2 extra tuners of course!

Interesting that they would let you pick up new boxes without a truck roll - and thanks for the warning that a CableCard is included in the "Tuner Pack" if we ever got one of those. CableCards should be interchangeable between Tivo boxes without programming - and we already have two and likely won't ever need more than that.

My experience with Brighthouse in FL is not so good - we've lived in 2 houses here since arriving the first of the year (rental and then purchase) both times it took multiple "appointments" to get things running correctly. We got the same tech at first, both times - who hates Tivos. He was also lazy and angry and did sloppy work that needed correcting. This last time all he did was complain that he was losing money because BH pays by the job and our job was too hard and taking him longer than he wanted. Both houses needed some re-wiring - the Tivos were NOT a problem - the tech was.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:24 AM   #302
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by igirl View Post
I'm jealous of your Roamio - tempted to upgrade our P4 - but you're right Brighthouse copy protects so much it's hardly worth it - except for the 2 extra tuners of course!

Interesting that they would let you pick up new boxes without a truck roll - and thanks for the warning that a CableCard is included in the "Tuner Pack" if we ever got one of those. CableCards should be interchangeable between Tivo boxes without programming - and we already have two and likely won't ever need more than that.

My experience with Brighthouse in FL is not so good - we've lived in 2 houses here since arriving the first of the year (rental and then purchase) both times it took multiple "appointments" to get things running correctly. We got the same tech at first, both times - who hates Tivos. He was also lazy and angry and did sloppy work that needed correcting. This last time all he did was complain that he was losing money because BH pays by the job and our job was too hard and taking him longer than he wanted. Both houses needed some re-wiring - the Tivos were NOT a problem - the tech was.
I had a very good experience on my recent new service activation in Tampa. The technician was very professional and did a good job setting up my system. I knew a lot more about TiVo than her so she sort of let me handle the CableCARD activation process. My CableCARD was paired on the first try. She did want to connect the Tuning Adapter in-line with my TiVo box and I insisted on a 2-way splitter to avoid MoCA troubles since the TA doesn't pass the MoCA signals. She also gave me a POE filter at no charge but instructed me incorrectly to place the POE filter on the Cable Modem input. I actually installed it on the coax feeding my whole home in my front-entry closet.

Finally, I did upgrade from my base 4-tuner Roamio to the 6-tuner Roamio Pro. I was able to re-pair the same CableCARD with the Roamio Pro. The initial CSR on that call was confused and wanted to send a truck but I insisted on being transferred to someone to pair it over the phone. The Priority Resolution Team member I was finally transferred to was able to easily pair the card over the phone. He did want me to cycle the power on my Roamio which wasn't necessary (i.e., I ignored that request).

While BHN does lock-down all but the broadcast channels, this only impacts the downloading of protected programs. Within my home, I am able to stream everything to my iPad or iPhone. OOH streaming of protected channels seems to work with live channels only which is interesting and discussed elsewhere on TCF.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #303
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
That's very cool. Kudos Gary.

Regarding the copy-control flags, is there anything that can be done about it or is it related to the TV Everywhere content agreements that BHN has negotiated with the networks?

I'm willing to start a lobbying campaign to get this changed! :-)
Yeah, then he can take credit for that too!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #304
BHNtechXpert

Quote:

And you took the time to let me know about this experience when?? So I could do something about it....
BHNtechXpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:43 PM   #305
BHNtechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
Yeah, then he can take credit for that too!
Which part? I'm cherry picking this conversation lol
Old 11-01-2013, 06:44 PM   #306
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHNtechXpert View Post
Which part? I'm cherry picking this conversation lol
Getting the copy-protection flag turned off so we can use out-of-home streaming.

|
Old 11-01-2013, 06:45 PM   #307
BHNtechXpert

Quote:
Getting the copy-protection flag turned off so we can use out-of-home streaming.
You can use out of home streaming now I thought with Roamio.....just so long as it's live (meaning its sucking up one of your tuners).
Old 11-01-2013, 06:47 PM   #308
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
You can use out of home streaming now I thought with Roamio.....just so long as it's live (meaning its sucking up one of your tuners).
That's a workaround, yes, but not very useful. It'd be nice to be able to stream recorded content that is marked with the copy-protect flag.

|
Old 11-01-2013, 06:50 PM   #309
BHNtechXpert

That part I can't fix for now...although technically speaking I don't understand why that's an issue if Tivo did it right. This isn't a situation where you are moving the material a 2nd time you are simply streaming it. That's still copy once UNLESS Tivo is doing something bizzare. Streaming is streaming not streaming is copying.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:57 PM   #310
BHNtechXpert

So what you really want is the ability to move the content from one device to another not streaming.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:49 AM   #311
Dan203
Super Moderator

Streaming outside the home has no real precident. The only people currently doing it are Fish and DirecTV and they have specific relationships with the providers. And even still Dish is being sued over it. TiVo must adhere to the wishes of CableLabs. We don't know if they specificlly told TiVo to limit outside the home streaming to "copy freely" content, or if TiVo is being overly cautious, but this is NOT the same as inside the home streaming. Inside the home streaming had a precident set by the cable company DVRs so there was no risk for TiVo to impliment the same feature. Outside the home has no precident with cable so if the cable companies don't like it they could fire back and land TiVo in court.

All people are asking your company to do is adhere to the wishes of the content providers instead of imposing your own copy restrictions. The only content provider that currently requires their content to be set to "copy once" is HBO. Most cable companies protect all Premium channels to appease the movie studios and people seem to be OK with that. But you guys, and Time Warner, take it upon yourselves to "protect" everything to the detriment of the customer and we don't know why. All we can figure is you're anti-TiVo and are attempting to limit their competitive edge by cutting off their more appealing features.

I don't know if it's within your specific power, but it is within your companies power to disable the "copy once" flag on all channels except HBO. Setting everything to "copy once" is a choice you're company is making for whatever reason and it's hurting TiVo customer's ability to use the products they paid for to the fullest of their capabilities.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:16 AM   #312
igirl
Tivo and EyeTV User

Quote:
And you took the time to let me know about this experience when?? So I could do something about it....
Up until now I wasn't aware we had an official BHN presence here in the Tivo Forum - plus, it never occurred to me that this would be the place to go for reporting such things but I won't go into any details in the open forum - if you are interested in specifics please PM me.

FWIW - we also happened to have BHN back home in California and they were excellent.

Given the choice we have between Comcast or BHN, I'll still go with BHN every time. When we moved from the last house into the one we bought about 7 weeks ago, I had to take the old TA boxes and cable cards in as well as my modem to get everything realigned for the new account/location. The gal at the counter was very sharp and really understood what was going on and got it right the first time through - including a promotional coupon code and everything. I think she might have happened to be a supervisor, but it was very good.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:40 AM   #313
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Up until now I wasn't aware we had an official BHN presence here in the Tivo Forum - plus, it never occurred to me that this would be the place to go for reporting such things but I won't go into any details in the open forum - if you are interested in specifics please PM me.
Also, just FYI, there's a Brighthouse-specific forum (including a Direct area where you can converse privately with BHNtechXpert) over at DSLReports.com: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/brighthouse.

I apologize for knocking the SDV thread off-topic ...

|
Old 11-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #314
igirl
Tivo and EyeTV User

Quote:
Also, just FYI, there's a Brighthouse-specific forum (including a Direct area where you can converse privately with BHNtechXpert) over at DSLReports.com: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/brighthouse.

I apologize for knocking the SDV thread off-topic ...
Thanks - also FWIW - the OP first declared this was a Tampa thread - so not really only just SDV...

Quote:
"Brighthouse Central Florida has a thread, thought it time to start a Tampa one! "

Last edited by igirl : 11-02-2013 at 07:26 PM.
igirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:19 PM   #315
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Thanks - also FWIW - the OP first declared this was a Tampa thread - so not really only just SDV...
You could read that either way, I guess. I saw it as the Tampa-specific BHN SDV thread that was an offshoot of the central Florida BHN SDV one.

|
Old 11-13-2013, 12:41 PM   #316
BHNtechXpert

Quote:

FWIW - we also happened to have BHN back home in California and they were excellent.

Given the choice we have between Comcast or BHN, I'll still go with BHN every time. When we moved from the last house into the one we bought about 7 weeks ago, I had to take the old TA boxes and cable cards in as well as my modem to get everything realigned for the new account/location. The gal at the counter was very sharp and really understood what was going on and got it right the first time through - including a promotional coupon code and everything. I think she might have happened to be a supervisor, but it was very good.
This was actually directed at another user who knows how to reach me directly.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #317
BHNtechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
All we can figure is you're anti-TiVo and are attempting to limit their competitive edge by cutting off their more appealing features.
We have clearly demonstrated otherwise. What other providers do and their relationships with their content holders is their business. I cannot and will not talk about what another is doing.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #318
JosephB

Bright House is great. I live in the suburbs of Birmingham, they're the cable company in the city but in the suburbs it's Charter, and I really wish BHN was the incumbent cable company out here, too. They have a TON of HD and a TON of channels that no one else has, and they even rival the satellite guys. Unfortunately I think the copy protection stuff is probably part of their Time Warner heritage, and Time Warner Cable's heritage of previously being part of Time Warner. If you can get a CableCard and Tuning Adapter working on BHN, then what makes BHN good, IMO, outweighs the stupid things they do like CCI-flag everything. Suck it up and buy a Slingbox, and you'll have 95% of what you'd have if they didn't misuse the CCI bit.

Sure they could do better, but take it from someone in a Charter area...it could be much, much worse.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:22 PM   #319
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

We just hooked up a new little TV to our TiVo DT2 and expected to use it as we had in the past -- for MRV. No can do. 2D cannot read or download one single recording from the HD3 whereas, in the past, it could transfer almost everything. It is not permitted to transfer anything, even anything on the analogue channels, even things recorded last year.

Conversely, coming in to the HD3, it will record almost everything from the 2D!

What is going on with BHN that we are now prevented from freely using our MRV? One way MRV is ridiculous. And we're really disappointed that we can't transfer from the 1T TiVo to the little one.

Is there any way around this?

Thanks.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #320
JosephB

Quote:
Originally Posted by megory View Post
We just hooked up a new little TV to our TiVo DT2 and expected to use it as we had in the past -- for MRV. No can do. 2D cannot read or download one single recording from the HD3 whereas, in the past, it could transfer almost everything. It is not permitted to transfer anything, even anything on the analogue channels, even things recorded last year.

Conversely, coming in to the HD3, it will record almost everything from the 2D!

What is going on with BHN that we are now prevented from freely using our MRV? One way MRV is ridiculous. And we're really disappointed that we can't transfer from the 1T TiVo to the little one.

Is there any way around this?

Thanks.
If you upgrade to a Premiere or Roamio you will be able to stream between rooms. Problem is the TiVos you have now only accomplish MRV via copying, which is not possible with digital cablecard channels on TWC or Bright House.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
Old 11-23-2013, 05:26 PM   #321
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
The problem is related to the issue you had earlier in the year when BHN switched to broadcasting the digital HD channels on the old SD analogs. The DT can't play HD recordings and now everything you're recording on the THD is HD.

|
Old 11-23-2013, 05:44 PM   #322
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Yes, that makes sense, that now BHN continues to prevent me from recording in the format I want (not HD) on one TV and allow it on another, and thus prevents me from the original TiVo Multi-room viewing. If it is broadcasting in analog on one, I really don't understand why I am prevented from receiving it on both. Is this a TiVo or a BHN restriction? Of course, BHN is in business to increase their profits not customer happiness.

We have lifetime subscriptions to both TiVos, so I don't expect to put down a coupla thousand dollars for a new TiVo Roamios. Of course, if you're giving . . . I'll accept <g>
Old 11-23-2013, 07:39 PM   #323
JosephB

Quote:
Yes, that makes sense, that now BHN continues to prevent me from recording in the format I want (not HD) on one TV and allow it on another, and thus prevents me from the original TiVo Multi-room viewing. If it is broadcasting in analog on one, I really don't understand why I am prevented from receiving it on both. Is this a TiVo or a BHN restriction? Of course, BHN is in business to increase their profits not customer happiness.

We have lifetime subscriptions to both TiVos, so I don't expect to put down a coupla thousand dollars for a new TiVo Roamios. Of course, if you're giving . . . I'll accept <g>
It's not a "restriction", they're not doing it to purposefully break your MRV. What is happening is they put a channel map in place on the cablecard so that when an HD-capable device attempts to tune the SD channel, the device tunes the HD feed instead. It actually has nothing to do with analog vs. digital, it has to do with SD vs. HD.

They do this so that you get the highest quality picture your device is capable of. Unfortunately, you are in the situation that you are recording on an HD capable TiVo and trying to play back on a SD only TiVo. That's the downside to buying a "lifetime" subscription on a product like a TiVo. Technology progresses, and you're not guaranteed that it will work forever.

Old 11-23-2013, 10:12 PM   #324
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Yes, that makes sense, that now BHN continues to prevent me from recording in the format I want (not HD) on one TV and allow it on another, and thus prevents me from the original TiVo Multi-room viewing.
Like JosephB said, they're not doing it to prevent MRV, but that's an unfortunate side-effect.

The new Roamios are fantastic if it's something you want to consider. You could sell your Lifetimed boxes and put it towards a new six-tuner one. I sold my TiVo HDXL and put the proceeds towards a Roamio Pro and 2 Minis and am really happy with my new setup.

|
Old 12-01-2013, 10:28 AM   #325
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Our new way around it is to record as much as possible on the 2DT and transfer to the HDTiVo <vbg> The 2DT records in analog (?) or at least at a minimal size and, when transferred to HDTiVo is approximately .90G and if the same show is recorded on HDTiVo, its minimum size is 6G (usually closer to 6.5G per show).

We can store many of those shows on the HDTiVo at their original recorded size and then, if we want, retransfer back to little TiVo.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:43 AM   #326
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Big Grin Found MY solution to MRV-Removed M Card!

I removed the M card.

When BHN changed to all digital for the analog stations (meaning each took about 6G instead of under 1G), the space on my 1T HDTiVo ran out too fast. Then, when we reconnected the 2DT, we couldn't MRV anything, because, duh, it was in digital and protected.

But the little TiVo (2DT) was able to record programs in analog! So clearly, that signal was being sent out. I started recording on the little TiVo and transferring to the TiVoHD, but that was time consuming and labor-intensive.

In my sleep, I wondered about the M card. What would happen if I removed it?

So, that's what I did and now the TiVoHD just records the Analog channels (fine with us), small footprint per show, and the little TiVo can import from there now. MRV is restored.

So, at least for now, problem is solved for us and our viewing preferences! Brava!
Old 12-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #327
JosephB

Eventually the analog channels will go away, though. TiVo should be able to control a DTA, so you won't be completely out of luck (and they'll be analog) though you'll be back to having to deal with IR blasters.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:18 AM   #328
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
I removed the M card.
I did suggest that here, but keep in mind you've also lost all of the digital tier channels by removing the card.

|
Old 12-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #329
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Quote:
I did suggest that here, but keep in mind you've also lost all of the digital tier channels by removing the card.
Wow, you sure did, and I didn't get it! But thanks for planting the seed that, once I was able to see it, came to the fore, thinking it was original thought. It will work for us for now. You are a fount of information and I appreciate you! Thanks!

FWIW, I recorded the same 2.5 hours last night on each set. The "little" (2DT) set recorded at appx. 1.5G and the HDtivo at 15G.

As for the digital channels, we just don't record on them anyway. Only occasionally. Life is a series of tradeoffs. This makes me happy--for now.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:06 PM   #330
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
We have clearly demonstrated otherwise. What other providers do and their relationships with their content holders is their business. I cannot and will not talk about what another is doing.
Then explain why you are protecting everything when the content holders do not require it? If it's not to thwart TiVo users then what purpose does it serve? It's only hurting your customers.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote