TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-01-2013, 03:17 PM   #1
duncan7

How long to fully set up?

Just got a new Roamio plus and substituted it for my dying DT Premiere last night. I can't get streaming to the ios app to work, can't get transfers from my other premiere to work, getting C133s on the roamio. I just called tivo support, who basically told me to let it sit for a day or two because connections get made in the background that allow the other stuff to work. I've seen enough complaints about streaming and c133 on here to suggest that this is unlikely to be true, but thought I'd ask if anyone else's setup stabilized after 48 hours. (I'm also going to brave the crawlspace and run cat-6 instead of 5ghz wifi to the premiere tomorrow, which I've been meaning to do, anyway. The Roamio is cabled to a Netgear GS108 which is cabled to my router which is cabled to my Charter cable/phone modem.)

I have to say I think the initial setup would be pretty frustrating for a newbie, the "click here to change network settings" arrow doesn't go to the right place unless the ethernet cable has been attached/detached (i.e., I couldn't use that to change the SSID the roamio was using) and I had to do guided setup at least twice, plus download the updates. I get why the decision would made to ensure that a new box has the latest software, but why does that process require me to babysit it and click continue at so many points? And, since that process is such a PITA, why would there also be stuff trickling down over 48 hours that 2-3 forced connections wouldn't grab?
duncan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:39 PM   #2
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

The 48 hours is normal for some of your problems (the C133 on the Roamio is not normal; I don't have an explanation for that). It's not only background connections of the Roamio that matter, but also background connections of the other devices, like your other Premiere, that are needed. The Premiere apparently needs to find out that your Roamio is officially on your account before transfers are enabled.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:44 PM   #3
kbmb

I had my Roamio Plus setup and fully working in a few hours, including being able to stream to iOS app and transfer shows from a TivoHD.

I'd force a bunch of connections on all devices, and also make sure transfers are enabled in your account online.

Not sure if wireless would also cause issues....seems some people have more problems with wireless than it's worth. Mine is connected via ethernet btw.

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
duncan7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
The Premiere apparently needs to find out that your Roamio is officially on your account before transfers are enabled.
The Roamio sees the Premiere and its now playing list. This morning it let me queue up 5 or six transfers, which went into the todo list. The first one got the round blue icon, but never transferred. TiVo support told me "try to keep the todo list clear for the first 48 hours," and advised that I delete all the transfers.

Now when I try to browse the NP list in the Premiere from the Romio, I get the molasses interface for a minute, then a popup about network errors...
Old 11-01-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan7 View Post
The Roamio sees the Premiere and its now playing list. This morning it let me queue up 5 or six transfers, which went into the todo list. The first one got the round blue icon, but never transferred. TiVo support told me "try to keep the todo list clear for the first 48 hours," and advised that I delete all the transfers.

Now when I try to browse the NP list in the Premiere from the Romio, I get the molasses interface for a minute, then a popup about network errors...
Anyway you can run a network cable to see if it's a wireless issue?

-Kevin
Old 11-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #6
duncan7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
Anyway you can run a network cable to see if it's a wireless issue? -Kevin
Yes, I plan to run cat-6 from the router to the Premiere tomorrow and move the Roamio connection from the 8-port switch to the router tomorrow in order to minimize the number of networking variables.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #7
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
I just called tivo support, who basically told me to let it sit for a day or two because connections get made in the background that allow the other stuff to work.
My new TiVo Minis wouldn't work -- a call to TiVo support said they were "missing" some software and it would be pushed out "in the next few days." Argh. The TiVo tech suggested that a reboot "might" work.

I rebooted the Roamio, then rebooted both Minis. One Mini started working, the other Mini needed a 2nd reboot. Weird.
DeltaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #8
duncan7

Running Cat-6 to the premiere and setting both to static IPs seems to have helped. I can now transfer shows between the Premiere and the Roamio and in-home streaming/downloading seem to work, albeit slowly for the downloads. Not sure why the ethernet connection to the premiere would have helped streaming connections between the phone and the roamio, but this was hardly a controlled test (a couple days elapsed, I went to static IPs.) I would've tried changing the IPs first, but my premiere was scheduled to get the software update and wouldn't let me change the network config. I guess that's a fourth variable that changed in this poorly controlled experiment.

It's interesting that the Roamio doesn't report a name to the network monitoring app (Netgear Genie) that came with my router, though the Premiere does. There seems to have been some serious mucking about in the networking stack for the Roamio software, since the 5GHz connection used to be fine for premiere-premiere transfers and streaming, but the Roamio kept losing track of the premiere once I subbed it in.

Still seeing the C133 flash briefly in to top bar when I pull up My Shows. Not sure what's up with that.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:23 AM   #9
mburnno

Quote:
There seems to have been some serious mucking about in the networking stack for the Roamio software, since the 5GHz connection used to be fine for premiere-premiere transfers and streaming, but the Roamio kept losing track of the premiere once I subbed it in.

Still seeing the C133 flash briefly in to top bar when I pull up My Shows. Not sure what's up with that.
The Roamio is a work in progress or at least that is what a few users would tell you in this forum. Every time I am super critical on Tivo in here people seem to defend Tivo, so best of luck getting your stuff working. I hope you have better luck then my two Roamino's.
mburnno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #10
kbmb

Quote:
Running Cat-6 to the premiere and setting both to static IPs seems to have helped. I can now transfer shows between the Premiere and the Roamio and in-home streaming/downloading seem to work, albeit slowly for the downloads. Not sure why the ethernet connection to the premiere would have helped streaming connections between the phone and the roamio, but this was hardly a controlled test (a couple days elapsed, I went to static IPs.) I would've tried changing the IPs first, but my premiere was scheduled to get the software update and wouldn't let me change the network config. I guess that's a fourth variable that changed in this poorly controlled experiment.

It's interesting that the Roamio doesn't report a name to the network monitoring app (Netgear Genie) that came with my router, though the Premiere does. There seems to have been some serious mucking about in the networking stack for the Roamio software, since the 5GHz connection used to be fine for premiere-premiere transfers and streaming, but the Roamio kept losing track of the premiere once I subbed it in.

Lots of issues with switching from Wifi to ethernet on these forums. Seems that Wifi doesn't get shut off automatically and that you have to trick the Tivo into using a bad password to get it to turn off? Did you check that to make sure the Tivo wasn't still using a Wifi connection?

-Kevin
Old 11-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #11
bmgoodman

Quote:
Lots of issues with switching from Wifi to ethernet on these forums. Seems that Wifi doesn't get shut off automatically and that you have to trick the Tivo into using a bad password to get it to turn off? Did you check that to make sure the Tivo wasn't still using a Wifi connection?

-Kevin
*Definitely* that was a problem for me. That's one less thing in a laundry list of problems that I'm having with my Roamio Pro. So far, I'm not impressed. The latest software update broke Standby for me, too. Insofar as I have to use the physical button on the face of the Tivo to bring it out of standby. That was NOT happening yesterday.

I've started a thread with a list of my issues, so I won't rehash it all here.
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:12 AM   #12
duncan7

Quote:

-Kevin
Now that you mention it, the roamio did appear to be using wifi for a while after I switched it to an ethernet connection, at least according to my network mapper. That would explain a lot. Not sure whether it was a couple of reboots or setting the static IP that caused it to start using the cable, but my router says it is, now.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:15 AM   #13
kbmb

Quote:
Now that you mention it, the roamio did appear to be using wifi for a while after I switched it to an ethernet connection, at least according to my network mapper. That would explain a lot. Not sure whether it was a couple of reboots or setting the static IP that caused it to start using the cable, but my router says it is, now.
Yeah, most people have had to switch back to Wifi.....set a bad password, when it fails plug the ethernet back in to get the Roamio to stop using Wifi.

Pain in the ass if you ask me! Especially since it seems Roamio doesn't work well with Wifi at all.

-Kevin
Old 11-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #14
mr_smits

Quote:
I have to say I think the initial setup would be pretty frustrating for a newbie, the "click here to change network settings" arrow doesn't go to the right place unless the ethernet cable has been attached/detached (i.e., I couldn't use that to change the SSID the roamio was using) and I had to do guided setup at least twice, plus download the updates. I get why the decision would made to ensure that a new box has the latest software, but why does that process require me to babysit it and click continue at so many points? And, since that process is such a PITA, why would there also be stuff trickling down over 48 hours that 2-3 forced connections wouldn't grab?
I agree. I think a complete re-thinking of the install process is in order -- if only for the new to Tivo and less patient folks.

I received Roamio from Amazon on Monday, began the install process, and I'm still not sure if everything is ready to go. I can't seem to transfer (or watch) shows on old Premiere boxes, so I can't unplug them from my network as I have a number of stranded shows on those boxes. Streaming to iPad is working, and out of home streaming has been set up but not tested. On the Tivo website, I see "we're still processing your activation" and it's been about 36 hours. I was unable to transfer season passes for the first 12 hours or so.

The error message in the ad bar the first night was confusing, too. "UNKNOWN is blah blah UNKNOWN". Huh?
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote