TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-31-2013, 11:55 AM   #1
40wnks

Question S03 intermittently shows up

For a year, I would occasionally get the warning that the program guide would run out on______date. Never the S03 error till recently. Called Tech support, recommended unplugging network connection for 72 hours. Did that and proble solved but "to do" list took another couple of days to find and schedule season pass programs. Everything fine for several days after that, then S03 shows up again. "Manually" connected to Tivo service and it went OK but to do list would not schedule past date previous to 2nd S03 error. Several days pass and S03 reoccurs. During manual connection I observe everything connects, downloads and disconnects fine. Loading slows at mid 40% and at 47% it stops and gives the S03.
Is drive failing? Can I remove and check/repair with "Spinrite"?
This is a Series 3 HDXL. This all seemed to happen as drive became ~90+% full.
Thanks,
Bill
40wnks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40wnks View Post
For a year, I would occasionally get the warning that the program guide would run out on______date. Never the S03 error till recently. Called Tech support, recommended unplugging network connection for 72 hours. Did that and proble solved but "to do" list took another couple of days to find and schedule season pass programs. Everything fine for several days after that, then S03 shows up again. "Manually" connected to Tivo service and it went OK but to do list would not schedule past date previous to 2nd S03 error. Several days pass and S03 reoccurs. During manual connection I observe everything connects, downloads and disconnects fine. Loading slows at mid 40% and at 47% it stops and gives the S03.
Is drive failing? Can I remove and check/repair with "Spinrite"?
This is a Series 3 HDXL. This all seemed to happen as drive became ~90+% full.
Thanks,
Bill
Do you have a Tuning Adapter (for Switched Digital Video) in there somewhere?

If so, you may need to invest in a lamp timer.

Above all, do not go into Guided Setup or do a Clear & Delete Everything, which would put you in GS.

Check sys info and see if you've successfully upgraded from 11.0k to 11.0m yet.

The unofficial cure for S03 is to run a "Clear Program Information and To Do List".

If you're going to take the drive out for testing (and if you're going to test the drive I recommend not doing it with KS 54 in the TiVo), then educate yourself on "capacitor plague" and check the power supply while you've got the lid off.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:13 PM   #3
40wnks

I have a tuning adapter in the setup. It has also been upgraded to 11.0m. I would rather not try any of the "ks" tricks. I am too dense to understand the lamp timer reference.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Before hooking up a lamp timer you can verify the TA is the problem by just disconnecting the USB cable for a few hours (the next time you have a problem). The lamp timer won't do any good if disconnecting the USB doesn't do it.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:17 PM   #5
40wnks

Also will clearing program information and the to do list remove all my programs that are stored on the tivo? Or are you talking about program guide info? I will check out capacitor plague and make sure I am grounded.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:51 PM   #6
40wnks

The first time the S03 error was fixed was after I pulled the wireless tivo adapter's USB and left it out for 72 hours. Since S03 returned, should I instead pull the TA's USB connection to my Tivo HDXL?
Old 10-31-2013, 05:32 PM   #7
unitron

You don't need, or want, to be grounded when messing around inside the TiVo, though you can touch the place on the back where the cable connects to dissipate any static built up on you before proceeding, just don't have any other part of your body in contact with any part of the TiVo at the time.

And always know where both ends of the power cord are at all times.

"Clear Program Information and To Do List" will not touch any shows you've already recorded, although you want to do it when you don't have any upcoming recording scheduled anytime soon, because it will remove everything the TiVo knows about what shows are coming up when on which channel, and it will remove any instructions to record that you've already entered that haven't been followed yet (although it should leave any season passes intact--they just won't know that there are episodes coming up)

When you finish, you'll have to connect to the TiVo servers and download program information for the guide from scratch.

There's something the TiVo does called "Garbage Collection", and you can see a reference to it in System Information, where it's called GC.

For some reason, having a Tuning Adapter attached interferes with GC running and completing successfully.

So people have been powering them with lamp timers that shut them off for a few hours in the middle of the night or whenever there will be a nice long stretch when the TiVo won't be recording anything.

That lets GC proceed and supposedly prevents S03s.

The same menu selection, Restart or Reset System, that offers Clear Program Information and To Do List also offers some other choices and you want to be sure not to select any of them.

Repeating Guided Setup when you have an S03 error seems to be a good way to get permanently stuck in GS, and re-imaging the drive (and losing all of your recordings and settings) seems to be the only cure.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
sfhub

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Repeating Guided Setup when you have an S03 error seems to be a good way to get permanently stuck in GS, and re-imaging the drive (and losing all of your recordings and settings) seems to be the only cure.
I've had success helping people get out of guided setup loop by switching the guide choice to ota, to get out of the loop, then switching the guide back to cable from the regular setup.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:53 PM   #9
40wnks

Thanks Unitron, I will try your suggestion regarding program and to do and let you know result. May take a day or two to get back, thanks.
Bill
Old 10-31-2013, 10:01 PM   #10
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub View Post
I've had success helping people get out of guided setup loop by switching the guide choice to ota, to get out of the loop, then switching the guide back to cable from the regular setup.
Good to know.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:55 AM   #11
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
The first time the S03 error was fixed was after I pulled the wireless tivo adapter's USB and left it out for 72 hours. Since S03 returned, should I instead pull the TA's USB connection to my Tivo HDXL?
Disabling the TA and disconnecting from the internet have both been used to treat S03, missing suggestions, and failed GC (guide data will run out message). The lamp timer is to power down the TA for say 3 hours in the middle of the night. AFAIK this is equivalent to disconnecting the TA USB (but there isn't any way to do that automatically --- thus the lamp timer).

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #12
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
AFAIK this is equivalent to disconnecting the TA USB (but there isn't any way to do that automatically --- thus the lamp timer).
Some have denied port access through router configuration; but I'm too dense and lazy to figure out how to do that.

The lamp timer is my choice as it is a 3D, hands on, solution that anyone (even me) can understand and deploy.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #13
40wnks

I did the "clear program guide and to do list". Unplugged the TA a little after starting the TA and went to bed. This morning it connected fine and downloaded the program guide. The previous procedure removed my scheduled programs on the to do list and removed all but 16 of my Season Passes. I went to the program guide and scheduled 2 recordings tonight. How do I "stimulate" the season passes to look through the program guide and schedule programs on its own? I have moved season passes up and down the priority list so I am open to suggestions.
Thanks,
Bill
Old 11-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #14
40wnks

After more study, the Tivo only seems to keep the season passes for programs that you have episodes of in your "Now Playing" list. So, if I have a season pass for 60 minutes but have watched all the episodes I had in "NowPlaying", it would not save the Season Pass for it when you click to remove the program info and to do list.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:36 AM   #15
sfhub

Quote:
After more study, the Tivo only seems to keep the season passes for programs that you have episodes of in your "Now Playing" list. So, if I have a season pass for 60 minutes but have watched all the episodes I had in "NowPlaying", it would not save the Season Pass for it when you click to remove the program info and to do list.
If this ever happens again, you might want to try going to the channel list in setup, then pressing Enter and deselecting your existing cable provider. This will likely workaround the S03 problem with the added benefit that all your season passes will be preserved.

Also regarding stimulating your season passes, the shows won't start showing up in to do list until TiVo finishes indexing. If the status says indexing is done, and they still aren't showing up, then that is the time to reorder some season pass entries.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:12 PM   #16
40wnks

The retained Season Passes do not see anything in the current program guide, so nothing gets scheduled to record. Creating new Season Passes only see the new program guide but do not see programs already recorded so duplicates can occur easily. It seems kind of like the right hand cannot see what the left hand has already done. Maybe indexing with time will correct this. Until then, passes with 5 episodes are the rule.
No new S03 errors seen!
Yay!
Bill
Old 11-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #17
sfhub

Quote:
The retained Season Passes do not see anything in the current program guide, so nothing gets scheduled to record. Creating new Season Passes only see the new program guide but do not see programs already recorded so duplicates can occur easily. It seems kind of like the right hand cannot see what the left hand has already done. Maybe indexing with time will correct this. Until then, passes with 5 episodes are the rule.
No new S03 errors seen!
Yay!
Bill
Just make sure your new season passes are actually adding items to the to do list.

When I went through a new guide data situation, none of my season passes, old or new, whether reordering the list or not, would add entries to the to do list. Only after first indexing was done would items start showing up in the todo list.

On the other hand single records would from the start.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:50 PM   #18
40wnks

New Season Passes did yield scheduled recordings. Old season passes did not so I removed them.
Thanks,
Bill