TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-31-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
jwbelcher

Odd tuner management observation

I've been watching my tuners since the last software update and noticed something kind of strange. By the end of the day I have 2-3 tuners on the same channel. I think this is might be due to recordings occurring on these channels, but would have thought Tivo would pick the tuner already on that channel vs using a different tuner for the recording. When flipping through the 6 tuners using the Live button, its unexpected, but I get the same channel more than once.
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

My guess has been that is due to multiple Suggestions recording. The TiVo attempts to return to channels it had been on before the Suggestions were recorded, but only keep track of one channel (code from single tuner days, I guess) and returns multiple tuners to that channel.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:52 PM   #3
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

I've seen to more recently on a Tivo HD, fwiw. No suggestions being recorded (LONG since turned off). I'm guessing it must've been a reboot or something.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:15 PM   #4
jwbelcher

I do see those channels being recorded in the suggestions. Haven't had a reboot today, but I've seen that after reboot too. I'm thinking it must be the suggestions that's doing it to me. I'm going turn off suggestions and see if that's it.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:45 PM   #5
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
I've seen to more recently on a Tivo HD, fwiw. No suggestions being recorded (LONG since turned off). I'm guessing it must've been a reboot or something.
Yes, a reboot will also put all tuners on the same channel. That wasn't the original poster's issue given his description, so I think his problem is Suggestions.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:57 PM   #6
mattack

I've had this happen a bunch of times lately too.. I use padding a lot so *intentionally* end up on the same channel, but have seen it other times (not KNOWINGLY involving a reboot) too.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #7
jwbelcher

Okay, definitely not suggestions doing it. I had a tuner switch at 3 pm today for no apparent reason (no scheduled record or suggestion recorded). From what I can tell, the tuners are being reset to whichever channel that is on the active tuner. Another observation, back in September I used to have tuners showing "Channel Not Available" message routinely through the day. Since the last software release, I never, not even in the morning have that message. Its difficult to keep 6 tuners active with recordings in the SDV world - I would expect to see this more often that I actually do these days.