TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-01-2013, 08:57 AM   #1
lambertman
How'd I get this old

"The Returned" on Sundance - Series 1 thread

Very intriguing 8-episode French drama from late 2012 that just started airing here on 10/31 on Sundance Channel. It's subtitled and there are oddly no reruns outside of Thursday, but I assume it'll be on-demand.

It involves a town's varied reactions to the sudden arrival of a number of people who had died years earlier. They're not zombies, they're their old selves - whatever that entails from person to person - and they have no clue what's happened. And there's all kinds of supernatural details and fringe creepiness going on too - more than you'd expect in one hour sans commercials.

For me to be this excited about a subtitled drama from France must mean I think it's quite good

EDIT to remove what Rob corrected.

(Assume spoilers after this post.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by lambertman : 11-01-2013 at 09:30 AM.
lambertman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:05 AM   #2
WhiskeyTango

I've heard great things about this show. I recorded it last night but haven't watched yet. Looking forward to it as I really enjoyed In the Flesh as well.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:08 AM   #3
whitson77
Director Level

Same here. Recorded have not watched it yet.
whitson77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #4
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertman View Post
It involves a town's varied reactions to the sudden arrival of a number of people who had died years earlier in a bus crash.
Just the one kid died in the bus accident (well, one who returned).

Great, great show.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:29 AM   #5
lambertman
How'd I get this old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Just the one kid died in the bus accident (well, one who returned).
Okay, so we don't yet know the death details of the others, then? That actually is better.

and elsewhere
Old 11-01-2013, 11:23 AM   #6
CraigK
(unspecified)

Sounds like an interesting show. Wish you'd started this thread yesterday.

I'll see if I can find it on-demand or wait until they repeat the series to get the first episode.

Thanks!
Old 11-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #7
lambertman
How'd I get this old

Sorry I wasn't expecting to try it and like it.

I did find out that the premiere re-airs December 1 if it's not on-demand.

and elsewhere
Old 11-01-2013, 04:46 PM   #8
cherry ghost

Wow, that was really good!

So Camille died four years ago and this is the first time she's returned but others have returned before and are now returning again?
cherry ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #9
CraigK
(unspecified)

Quote:
I did find out that the premiere re-airs December 1 if it's not on-demand.
Thanks.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:16 PM   #10
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob

Just FYI,

The original French title for this series is 'Les Revenants'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revenant

'Revenant':

Quote:
A revenant is a visible ghost or animated corpse that was believed to return from the grave to terrorize the living. The word "revenant" is derived from the Latin word, revenans, "returning"

Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:24 AM   #11
lambertman
How'd I get this old

I'm not going to be That Guy who has every other post in this thread, but ep 1 is now free on iTunes as well.

and elsewhere
Old 11-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #12
jilter
Happy to be here.

Be that guy!
Your posts are very helpful.
I appreciate this thread as it is a show I otherwise would have never heard of.

Jill
Old 11-02-2013, 04:48 PM   #13
ADG
Allan

Is the show dubbed in English or is it in French with subtitles?

ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #14
dbranco

Quote:
I'm not going to be That Guy who has every other post in this thread, but ep 1 is now free on iTunes as well.
THANK YOU!! I had a site link which had "Exclusive screening of Episode 1" -- but apparently it expired today. Am so psyched that I found this thread; will watch tonight!
dbranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:04 PM   #15
Howie
Out of Pocket

DirecTV doesn't have Sundance in HD, so I'll have to skip this for now, though it sounds interesting.
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:18 AM   #16
dbranco

Watched Episode 1 last night and was hooked within the fist 15 minutes. I loved how the puzzle pieces came together one at a time -- beautifully paced -- and not only gave a sense of satisfaction, but also opened up more questions. And the music is terrific - just the right amount of spooky without being over the top. Will definitely SP this one!
dbranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:20 PM   #17
CraigK
(unspecified)

For those who might have missed it "Sundance" is showing a "The Returned" marathon on all eight episodes on Sunday December 22 starting at noon EST.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:40 PM   #18
CraigK
(unspecified)

Another marathon of "The Returned" first season showing on Sundance this Sunday March 9th.

Wiki says they are filming season two now.

'"Resurrection", a series on ABC based on the same book premieres the same night.

Last edited by CraigK : 03-03-2014 at 10:51 PM.
CraigK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:32 PM   #19
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigK View Post
Another marathon of "The Returned" first season showing on Sundance this Sunday March 9th.

Wiki says they are filming season two now.

'"Resurrection", a series on ABC based on the same book premieres the same night.
The Returned is also on Netflix.
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:55 AM   #20
squigy0
Internet DJ & Dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
Wow, that was really good!

So Camille died four years ago and this is the first time she's returned but others have returned before and are now returning again?
And THAT is exactly what has sucked me into this show; it's the most twisted and shrouded since Lost in my opinion. Here are several theories I came up with while watching (spoilerized just in case) that I'm not entirely sure have been disproven yet:

Spoiler:
1. Camille & Lena switched places on the fateful day. It certainly adds a survivor's guilt and a "it should have been you that died" dimension that could explain the tension the two of them have had most of the season.

2. To cherry ghost's point, Adele was seeing Simon walking around 2 years prior. It was passed off as psychosis (especially with the suicide attempt), but what if he really was there? We certainly know that Viktor was out and about before then (i.e. the bus crash)

3. Speaking of the suicide attempt, everyone in the town is possibly already dead. Viktor's ability to conjure people to carry out executions seems to be predominately those who are already dead (Serge on most occasions, the man who shot him is implied dead I'm pretty sure) so he may have just showed Chloe that the suicide was actually successful. Julie is also VERY convinced that she died, and Lucy (whose injuries have all vanished) is now reading the deads' minds.

4. The looping effect (walking through the woods in a straight line brings you back to the beginning, driving over the dam only causes you to have to drive over the dam again, we may find out that the dam breaks every 35 years) is either another piece of proof that they're all dead, or there's something wrong with time & space at this location, which may have been hinted by how time generic and secluded this place appears to be; I've never seen so many people walking everywhere. The Lake Pub has a pretty sizeable parking lot with practically no cars in it. Even the police are often seen walking up the road to visit somebody.

I think there are clues littered throughout the title sequence of the show of what's going on. It seems to show key locations and plot points of the show (Toni's graveyard, The Helping Hand, the tunnel) but with some people and things possibly disjointed and out of place...so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigK View Post
I read somewhere (possibly here), that Resurrection is not based on the book of the same name. And that 'Les Revenants' is based on the 2004 French movie "And They Came Back"

Last edited by squigy0 : 03-18-2014 at 11:29 AM.
squigy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:44 AM   #21
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squigy0 View Post
I read somewhere (possibly here), that Resurrection is not based on the book of the same name. And that 'Les Revenants' is based on the 2004 French movie "And They Came Back"
That is correct. Although the movie was also called "Les revenants," and was called "The Returned" for the British theatrical release and "They Came Back" for the DVD release.

I saw a review of the American show from some outfit big enough to know better that said the American novel was based on the French show, but they were wrong. It's apparently just an astonishing coincidence that two projects with the same premise and the same title came along. Since the French movie never gained traction here (I never heard of it until the French TV show aired, and I'm more up on these things than most), I tend to believe the American author when he says he came up with it on his own.