TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #5821
cwoody222

Call their dedicated CableCARD helpline: 1-866-606-5889

Don't let them talk you into scheduling an appointment or blaming a piece of their hardware (requiring a replacement). Changes are extremely likely they can provision everything correctly with you on the phone if they know what they're doing.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:49 AM   #5822
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Was this an EAS?

Does anyone know if there was an EAS message for the Dayton OH area at about 11:00 am today?

My tivo completely locked up and after waiting more than 5 minutes I had to power cycle (not just restart) it.

My normal (abnormal) EAS response is that the tivo locks up for about 2 minutes and then resumes live play of one of the tuned channels. During this time pushing any remote button yields only the amber light flash and the bonk sound. However, this time even these responses were absent and it never recovered.

I'm very suspicious this was triggered by an EAS signal. Weather is moving in, and my Tivo had not been exhibiting any suspicious behavior that might suggest a failing HDD or power supply.

I called TWC support and (surprise!) they didn't have a clue when any EAS messages had been broadcast.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:04 PM   #5823
SCSIRAID

Pretty quiet out here.... TWC must have fixed some bugs...
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:04 PM   #5824
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
Pretty quiet out here.... TWC must have fixed some bugs...
Still plenty of people posting problems with TWC installs, just not here. Maybe more here now that we've bumped it. Also a Series 3 thread isn't so much in the main stream now.

Are you on TWC now?

and
Old 10-31-2013, 08:37 PM   #5825
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Still plenty of people posting problems with TWC installs, just not here. Maybe more here now that we've bumped it. Also a Series 3 thread isn't so much in the main stream now.

Are you on TWC now?
Ive moved from NC to Florida. I have Comcast here... A world of difference. No more missed recordings... No SDV... no copy protection flags... wonderful. It was a challenge getting the cablecards authorized but we got it done. Went thru a pile of cards before getting two that worked.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:02 PM   #5826
unitron

Quote:
Ive moved from NC to Florida. I have Comcast here... A world of difference. No more missed recordings... No SDV... no copy protection flags... wonderful. It was a challenge getting the cablecards authorized but we got it done. Went thru a pile of cards before getting two that worked.
Can I run a really long extension from your house back up here to NC? Pretty please?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:13 AM   #5827
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Can I run a really long extension from your house back up here to NC? Pretty please?

Its fine with me!! Thats a lot of RG6 though...
Old 11-01-2013, 08:46 AM   #5828
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
That all sounded dreamy until you got to the cablecard problems. It's always something!

What's the internet situation with Comcast? I've heard they have caps. One good thing I can say about TWC is: no internet caps (so far).

and
Old 11-01-2013, 09:49 AM   #5829
SCSIRAID

Quote:
That all sounded dreamy until you got to the cablecard problems. It's always something!

What's the internet situation with Comcast? I've heard they have caps. One good thing I can say about TWC is: no internet caps (so far).
Well... we got by the cablecard thing pretty quickly. Had a good tech who had a stack of cards.

As to caps.... That i dont know. Ill have to do some research.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:56 AM   #5830
SCSIRAID

Quote:

Found this on my account...

"Note: Enforcement of the 250GB data consumption threshold is currently suspended."

Looks like no caps for now.... but who knows when...
Old 11-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #5831
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Well... we got by the cablecard thing pretty quickly. Had a good tech who had a stack of cards. ........
Wow! We're no longer in TWC-land Toto!

and
Old 11-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #5832
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Wow! We're no longer in TWC-land Toto!
Yup... The tech was onsite to install the phone/cable modem and cablecards and got it all up and running in about an hour or perhaps an hour and a half.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #5833
keleko17

Val=?

I am a new Time Warner subscriber. They recently purchased Insight Communications.

I unfortunately decided to become a TiVo user during the transition.

I have been through 4 onsite techs, over 10 cable cards, both a Premiere 4 and now a Roamio series.

I am at the end of my rope. Something has to give!

I call the cablecard hotline to activate the cards, not through my local office. They claim they are the nationwide office, and it is a small office. At this point I don't know how I don't know them all by name.

I will be happy to provide any information to anyone that think they might be able to solve this riddle.
keleko17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #5834
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by keleko17 View Post
I am a new Time Warner subscriber. They recently purchased Insight Communications.

I unfortunately decided to become a TiVo user during the transition.

I have been through 4 onsite techs, over 10 cable cards, both a Premiere 4 and now a Roamio series.

I am at the end of my rope. Something has to give!

I call the cablecard hotline to activate the cards, not through my local office. They claim they are the nationwide office, and it is a small office. At this point I don't know how I don't know them all by name.

I will be happy to provide any information to anyone that think they might be able to solve this riddle.
It can be helpful to know your location, city & state; please include that info in your profile.

Is TW in your area using SDV (tuning adapter?)
If yes, try leaving the tuning adapter disconnected from TiVo, coax and usb connections.
Connect incoming coax cable to TiVo.
Then call the Cable Card hotline.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:49 PM   #5835
keleko17

I am located in Louisville, KY.

TWC is not currently using SDV in my area, so no tuning adapter yet.

One of the 4 techs that was at the house tested all the lines, said I have good signal. Went as far as to run a jumper from the pedestal to my house to verify the buried line wasn't bad. I have one splitter in the system, with only two feeds. One to a cable modem, one to the TiVo.
keleko17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #5836
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by keleko17 View Post
I am located in Louisville, KY.

TWC is not currently using SDV in my area, so no tuning adapter yet.

One of the 4 techs that was at the house tested all the lines, said I have good signal. Went as far as to run a jumper from the pedestal to my house to verify the buried line wasn't bad. I have one splitter in the system, with only two feeds. One to a cable modem, one to the TiVo.
Wow!
For time warner you've got best cast conditions...

Have you called the card national support number?

866-532-2598
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #5837
rcoates777

NC TWC cable card / Tuning Adapter

I just moved from Massachusetts to NC and am trying to get my TiVo HD up and running - without much luck. On the first 2 visits from TWC the tech did not bring a cable card but did leave a TWC HD box so I could watch TV but without a TiVo in the mix.

I went to the local office and picked up a Cable Card and Tuning Adapter (required for the Switched Digital Video). I talked to the TWC cable card Hotline people but we could never get anything more than a few basic channels. (2-19)

UPDATE - Progress made !

Today Tech #3 came out and, of course, he did not have a cable card. He only sees about 1 TiVo a year so I knew much more about it than he did. <sigh> He went and got a CableCard and came back. He called their techs and they got it running with the OLD cablecard. I asked him what the secret was but never got an answer that I understood. Something about "balancing" the account. Not pairing. I bet that if I call the Hotline there will be notes as to what they did.

I think I am going to have issues with the Tuning Adapter. It occasionally goes off-line and when it does anything being recorded stops. So does watching pre-recorded shows. And when you go to 'resume playing' it picks up from where you previously started watching - not from where it got interrupted. The tuning adapter reconnects automatically (a "Tuning Adapter Connected" msg appears from TiVo but the recording stops. I will continue to monitor this situation. Not good to be worried about shows not recording.

Gee, I haven't asked a question yet so .....

- anyone else have Tuning Adapter issues?

- does one need a Cable Card to get any channels or will basic unencrypted ones be OK even without a Cable Card?

Thanks!

Bob
rcoates777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #5838
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoates777 View Post
I just moved from Massachusetts to NC and am trying to get my TiVo HD up and running - without much luck. On the first 2 visits from TWC the tech did not bring a cable card but did leave a TWC HD box so I could watch TV but without a TiVo in the mix.

I went to the local office and picked up a Cable Card and Tuning Adapter (required for the Switched Digital Video). I talked to the TWC cable card Hotline people but we could never get anything more than a few basic channels. (2-19)

UPDATE - Progress made !

Today Tech #3 came out and, of course, he did not have a cable card. He only sees about 1 TiVo a year so I knew much more about it than he did. <sigh> He went and got a CableCard and came back. He called their techs and they got it running with the OLD cablecard. I asked him what the secret was but never got an answer that I understood. Something about "balancing" the account. Not pairing. I bet that if I call the Hotline there will be notes as to what they did.

I think I am going to have issues with the Tuning Adapter. It occasionally goes off-line and when it does anything being recorded stops. So does watching pre-recorded shows. And when you go to 'resume playing' it picks up from where you previously started watching - not from where it got interrupted. The tuning adapter reconnects automatically (a "Tuning Adapter Connected" msg appears from TiVo but the recording stops. I will continue to monitor this situation. Not good to be worried about shows not recording.

Gee, I haven't asked a question yet so .....

- anyone else have Tuning Adapter issues?

- does one need a Cable Card to get any channels or will basic unencrypted ones be OK even without a Cable Card?

Thanks!

Bob
Welcome to The Old North State and please accept my condolences on your having landed in a part where you have to use TWC.

I'm pretty sure that there are no digital cable channels on their system that do not require a cable card, although they might not have removed all of the analog channels yet, so you should hook up a good antenna and the cable and not put a cable card in and if you can't find a way in the channels sub-menu to get it to accept a new zip code and rescan, go through Guided Setup and tell it you don't have cable cards and see what analog cable and OTA digital channels you can get, and once those are on the list you can try adding the cable cards.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:58 PM   #5839
rcoates777

Kiitos avusta!

Those crazy Finns !!
Old 12-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #5840
ShaneF

TWC WNY line-up change

Anyone in WNY have the new channel line-up take effect yet? Did the TiVo handle it?
ShaneF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #5841
cwoody222

My father in the suburbs got it this morning. He had to select a new lineup (it has REBUILD in the title). His season passes needed to be changed as the channels are new.

The lineup was available early this morning. He changed it on a Premiere and an old S2 so even dialup had it already.

I'm downtown so I get to do mine on my Premiere on Thursday. With close to 100 season passes, I'm not looking forward to it. My father only has less than a dozen.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:30 AM   #5842
ShaneF

I think something was wrong with the TiVo service last night. It took over 90 minutes and several failed connections, but I finally got the new channel line-up in East Amherst. Switching all of the season passes was indeed a pain.
ShaneF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:51 AM   #5843
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneF View Post
I think something was wrong with the TiVo service last night. It took over 90 minutes and several failed connections, but I finally got the new channel line-up in East Amherst. Switching all of the season passes was indeed a pain.
Just a little looking around would have found this:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=512003

and

Last edited by dlfl : 12-04-2013 at 07:26 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:28 AM   #5844
cwoody222

My lineup change happened this morning. I did have to answer a few questions about "what station do you receive on channel XX" until TiVo would display to me more choices for lineups which finally included the new one.

With close to 100 season passes it's going to take me awhile to change them all
Old 12-07-2013, 09:09 AM   #5845
cwoody222

My lineup changed Thursday morning so I did Guided Setup to pick the new lineup - REBUILD.

Now I'm getting this message (attached). And it looks like the original lineup now is showing the changes.

Does this mean that the REBUILD lineup is going to cease to exist (it still shows up on zap2it) and I need to switch BACK to the old lineup?

If so, ugh!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (119.0 KB, 14 views)
Old 12-07-2013, 12:56 PM   #5846
rcoates777

season pass mods

I believe that season passes are channel specific for network channels. I've always thought it would be nice to be able to edit the SP to just reflect a new channel # rather than deleting the entire SP and creating a new one. The cable channels (like ESPN) seem to convert by themselves.

Somehow I think this is way down on the TiVo list of things to do.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #5847
dlfl
Cranky old novice

And the beat goes on .....

My TWC (Southwest Ohio) continues building its reputation for customer support.

I called in shortly after midnight to get a customer account balancing hit -- because my TA's authorization expired (which should never happen). The automatic call system refused to recognize my phone number. To talk to a CSR I had to enter my zip code. The rep stated their computer system was undergoing maintenance and thus she could not send any signals that might get my TA authorized, and I should call back in after 11:00am today. Power-cycling the TA didn't do any good.

What burns me is the clumsy way they handled this so as to maximize inconvenience to the customer. You had to enter your telephone number twice (in case you fumble-fingered it the first time), then enter your zip code, and finally you get to talk to someone who explains it was all for nothing. They should have had the first message you hear explain the system was down so you probably wouldn't be able to get anything done.

Can't wait to see what actually happens after 11 am.

and
Old 12-08-2013, 12:04 PM   #5848
SCSIRAID

Quote:
My TWC (Southwest Ohio) continues building its reputation for customer support.

I called in shortly after midnight to get a customer account balancing hit -- because my TA's authorization expired (which should never happen). The automatic call system refused to recognize my phone number. To talk to a CSR I had to enter my zip code. The rep stated their computer system was undergoing maintenance and thus she could not send any signals that might get my TA authorized, and I should call back in after 11:00am today. Power-cycling the TA didn't do any good.

What burns me is the clumsy way they handled this so as to maximize inconvenience to the customer. You had to enter your telephone number twice (in case you fumble-fingered it the first time), then enter your zip code, and finally you get to talk to someone who explains it was all for nothing. They should have had the first message you hear explain the system was down so you probably wouldn't be able to get anything done.

Can't wait to see what actually happens after 11 am.
I didnt think TA's had to be 'authorized'.... Is this new?
Old 12-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #5849
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
I didnt think TA's had to be 'authorized'.... Is this new?
No, always been there. In TA Diagnostics ... PowerKEY section, 3rd page, item is Sub Expires. It's a time/date expressed to the very second when your TA will stop working and start blinking 8-blinks-pause. Normally the date is 20 to 30 days out and is periodically refreshed by the cable system. Thus when things work right you would have no reason to know about it. But working right isn't something associated with TWC SouthWest Ohio.

For the first year I had a TA (July 09 to July 2010) this date was never refreshed and it would expire and I had to call in every month for a "hit". Then they got it set up right and it was fine for 3+ years --- until last night.

I finally was able to get TWC to hit it about a half hour ago and now it's pushed out to 1/5/14. It seems to be part of the general customer balancing hit that they send with one key stroke. I couldn't understand half what the CSR said but apparently she hit the right key before transferring me to a black hole. Dealing with them is not for the faint of heart!

and
Old 12-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #5850
cwoody222

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post
My lineup changed Thursday morning so I did Guided Setup to pick the new lineup - REBUILD.

Now I'm getting this message (attached). And it looks like the original lineup now is showing the changes.

Does this mean that the REBUILD lineup is going to cease to exist (it still shows up on zap2it) and I need to switch BACK to the old lineup?

If so, ugh!!
I did step again to go BACK to the original lineup which now has the channels in their new locations.

This time I did not have to re-do all my season passes, thankfully.

But I did have to uncheck all the channels I didn't get again though.