TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.50 average.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:05 PM   #31
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefe View Post
Mine asks if I want Netflix for kids, but it doesn't ask what profile, and it is locked on my son's profile, and I don't know how to get to mine. :|
Try going to netflix.com and choosing your profile there.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #32
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
Try going to netflix.com and choosing your profile there.
I did. Nothing changed.

Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man
hefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:16 PM   #33
rainwater

Quote:
Mine asks if I want Netflix for kids, but it doesn't ask what profile, and it is locked on my son's profile, and I don't know how to get to mine. :|
For now it will always use the main profile. For some reason we got access to the profile enabled version but for only a few days before it was pulled. Considering it seemed to work well, I would imagine we will see it back before too long.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:45 PM   #34
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Mine is the main profile.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:44 PM   #35
DbqInChi

Stuck on a secondary profile

I second what others have said. When profile support was rolled out I selected a secondary profile to try it out. When profile support disappeared I remained stuck on that profile and have no way to switch back to the main. As such all of our queue and viewing history, which is on the main profile, is unavailable to us. Hopefully they'll get full profile support rolled back out soon, or at least allow switching in some way.
DbqInChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:55 PM   #36
bbrown9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DbqInChi View Post
I second what others have said. When profile support was rolled out I selected a secondary profile to try it out. When profile support disappeared I remained stuck on that profile and have no way to switch back to the main. As such all of our queue and viewing history, which is on the main profile, is unavailable to us. Hopefully they'll get full profile support rolled back out soon, or at least allow switching in some way.
Can you log out of the app and then log back in again on your TiVo?
bbrown9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:03 PM   #37
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown9 View Post
Can you log out of the app and then log back in again on your TiVo?
You're talking about going to the debug menu (UP UP DOWN DOWN LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT UP UP UP UP) and selecting "Sign out" then running the app and signing into your account again?

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
Old 10-30-2013, 11:49 PM   #38
bbrown9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
You're talking about going to the debug menu (UP UP DOWN DOWN LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT UP UP UP UP) and selecting "Sign out" then running the app and signing into your account again?
Yes. I'm thinking that might reset what profile is being used to be the main profile for the account.
bbrown9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:14 AM   #39
hefe
Rebus Philbin

I deactivated the app in the TiVo menu, and logged in again and it went to my main profile.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:17 AM   #40
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
I deactivated the app in the TiVo menu, and logged in again and it went to my main profile.
Deactivating in the TiVo "Account and System Information" menu is no doubt exactly the same operation as logging off in the Netflix app's debug menu. Use of that debug menu in other devices is the only way to deactivate that specific device; the option in TiVo's A&SI menu is unique.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 10-31-2013, 11:11 AM   #41
ustavio

Just had another reboot while watching Netflix. Of course, I was recording something (that has no other upcoming episodes) at the same time. Clearly they have not fixed this yet.
ustavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:15 PM   #42
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustavio View Post
Just had another reboot while watching Netflix. Of course, I was recording something (that has no other upcoming episodes) at the same time. Clearly they have not fixed this yet.
I think all we can say at the moment is that they haven't fixed your problem yet. Others have said that Netflix hasn't been rebooting for them any more. So it sounds like there were more than one possible cause for the rebooting and they haven't fixed your cause yet. (One cause used to be 1080p60 was broken, and I'm pretty sure that got fixed a bit ago.)

Note that I use Netflix a lot, and haven't had any rebooting problems. That's not trying to diminish your problem, just stating that the bug is clearly due to a combination of environment and software, and it's sometimes tough to establish which particular environment issue is causing the problem if there is more than one. So you need to make sure you report it again to TiVo, because otherwise they may think they fixed your issue when they made the latest changes.

Last edited by CrispyCritter : 10-31-2013 at 12:23 PM.
CrispyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:11 PM   #43
ustavio

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
I think all we can say at the moment is that they haven't fixed your problem yet. Others have said that Netflix hasn't been rebooting for them any more. So it sounds like there were more than one possible cause for the rebooting and they haven't fixed your cause yet. (One cause used to be 1080p60 was broken, and I'm pretty sure that got fixed a bit ago.)

Note that I use Netflix a lot, and haven't had any rebooting problems. That's not trying to diminish your problem, just stating that the bug is clearly due to a combination of environment and software, and it's sometimes tough to establish which particular environment issue is causing the problem if there is more than one. So you need to make sure you report it again to TiVo, because otherwise they may think they fixed your issue when they made the latest changes.
Thanks for your post. I'll contact Tivo once again but last time was told it was a Netflix problem and, of course, Netflix has said it is a Tivo problem. Perhaps it just solar flares of something.....
Old 10-31-2013, 01:41 PM   #44
Dan203
Super Moderator

I've been watching Netflix a lot lately and it's only rebooted on me once, ever. Do you have a slow internet/Network connection that might be causing the app to drop resolutions?
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:12 PM   #45
ustavio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I've been watching Netflix a lot lately and it's only rebooted on me once, ever. Do you have a slow internet/Network connection that might be causing the app to drop resolutions?
I have Fios 35Mbps up and down. I have latest Fios Actiontec Gigabyte router and a direct MoCa connection.Tivo is hooked to a Sony Bravia via HDMI with no green switches. Everything is about as strong and solid as can be. I have no problems with LAN, Wireless or another Netflix platform (Btu-Ray, PS3). I even have Netflix profiles on other platforms. Everything was working fine at one time but with all the different updates and/or "fixes", something hiccuped somewhere. I've even signed in and out, deactivated, reactivated, rebooted, reset. I even hopped on one leg and went booga booga....(well, maybe not that one just yet).
Old 10-31-2013, 03:48 PM   #46
Dan203
Super Moderator

Weird. Are you using the DIAL feature a lot? Or selecting programs from the main UI?
Old 10-31-2013, 05:10 PM   #47
moyekj

Also of relevance is what outputs you have set on the TiVo. There was a bug previously with crashes when 1080p/24 enabled, so if you do have that turned on then try turning it off to see if the reboots go away. At same time I would also turn off 1080p while experimenting if you have that turned on.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:21 PM   #48
Dan203
Super Moderator

I have mine set to only allow 1080p and 1080p/24. Only ever had the reboot once. I see my TV switch to 1080p/24 mode when most of my Netflix streams start.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:36 PM   #49
moyekj

Quote:
I have mine set to only allow 1080p and 1080p/24. Only ever had the reboot once. I see my TV switch to 1080p/24 mode when most of my Netflix streams start.
It may be HDMI handshaking related which can vary from TV to TV. Since there was known problems with this before I still think it's worth turning off those output modes to see if it helps.
(I do have 1080p/24 turned on for my Roamio Pro and have not had reboots, but haven't been using Netflix much lately so not a good comparison point).

Old 10-31-2013, 10:21 PM   #50
DbqInChi

Back to primary

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown9 View Post
Yes. I'm thinking that might reset what profile is being used to be the main profile for the account.
Great tip! I didn't know how to get to the debug screen, but once I did so, signed out and back in I was restored to my primary profile. Thanks!!
DbqInChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:24 PM   #51
ustavio

Quote:
Weird. Are you using the DIAL feature a lot? Or selecting programs from the main UI?
Not sure what the DIAL feature is. I just go to Netflix in menu (where Hulu, Amazon etc are located), then once Netflix UI loads, choose my show and watch it until a reboot occurs (or doesn't).
Old 10-31-2013, 11:33 PM   #52
ustavio

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Also of relevance is what outputs you have set on the TiVo. There was a bug previously with crashes when 1080p/24 enabled, so if you do have that turned on then try turning it off to see if the reboots go away. At same time I would also turn off 1080p while experimenting if you have that turned on.
Reboots have occurred with just 1080i, 1080p, 1080p + 1080p/24 and/or all of the above together. Of course, it's unknown to me if I had one or the other in play when that particular aspect was an issue or when it is was fixed. I could have been back and forth from what worked to what didn't work and back again without knowing what's what. This shouldn't be this complicated should it? I currently have it set to 1080p + 1080p/24.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:45 AM   #53
ustavio

Quote:
It may be HDMI handshaking related which can vary from TV to TV. Since there was known problems with this before I still think it's worth turning off those output modes to see if it helps.
(I do have 1080p/24 turned on for my Roamio Pro and have not had reboots, but haven't been using Netflix much lately so not a good comparison point).
Curious thought. My 120 MHz Sony Bravia has settings in IT'S menu for:
1. Picture mode: Vivid, Standard Custom - (Mine is set to Standard)
2. Noise Reduction: "Select to reduce picture noise level" - High, Medium, Low, Off (Mine is set to Low)
3. MPEG Noise Reduction- "to reduce picture noise in MPEG compressed videos" - High, Medium, Low, Off- (Mine is set to Low)
4. Motionflow - "Produces smoother picture movement and reduces picture blur" - High, Standard, Off -(Mine is set to Standard)
5.CineMotion - "provides improved picture movement and reduces picture blur and graininess for film based content" - Auto 1 for standard use, Auto 2 to represent original film based content as is and Off. (Mine is set to Auto 1).

The Picture Mode "displays the options selected in Scene Select which optimizes picture and sound quality by selecting from:
Cinema (delivers picture scenes and sound just as those in a theater)
Sports (delivers realistic pictures and sound just like those in a stadium)
Photo
Music
Game
Graphics
General (No optimized picture and sound quality for any scene)
Auto ( Automatically opti8mizes picture and sound quality according to the input source)

Mine is set to Auto which chooses General (always).

Not sure where I'm going with this but perhaps some of these settings are in conflict with whatever mode the Tivo is putting out?

Also, I may or may not have mentioned in my numerous posts and or threads that I have a Fios set top box and the Tivo Pro running through a digital GTE power pass all ports 5-2300 MHz splitter. The Fios STB functions fine but only allows for 1080i as it's maximum resolution (with or without splitter). Tivo quality is better at 1080p + 1080p/24 or just 1090p and similar at 1080i.

I have nothing that "kicks in" and notifies me that what I am viewing on Netflix or just regular Tivo viewing is 1080p/24. However, if I use the Sony TV remote display it indicates that 1080p/24 is engaged. If I untick this in the Tivo, it shows just 1080p (as it should).

Again, not sure whether or not:
1. Different settings on the Bravia menu effect or conflict with the Tivo settings.
2. The fact that there are now some premium channels (Cinemax, HBO) and Sony Channel and MGM channel that have switched from MPEG 2 to H.264 encryption...are a factor.

I have no reason to suspect the splitter but who knows. It works quite well on my Tivo HD and Fios STD but they are both 1080i to a older 60MHz Sony Bravia. The Tivo gets it's Ethernet data via an Actiontec MoCa adapter. There are similar but less extensive Sony TV menu settings that don't seem to affect anything. I get Netflix on that rig via a Btu-Ray Netflix app (that does have profiles).

I did notice that in the last few days the Netflix app on the Tivo Roamio showed a UI change from UI build release 569p to 575p.

Anyway, this is a long winded post but If everyone else seems to be have few if any problems, perhaps it is how my Bravia is set up? Maybe there is someone else out there who has a Sony Bravia (mine is a 40EX500) with similar issues?

I don't think there is anything wrong with the Tivo itself (in fact I LOVE it) because everything else seems to work just great.

One wonders if it is related to: HTML5, SDK versions, Sony TV settings, Tivo settings, Netflix, maybe even Actiontec/Fios firewall settings..... or what. I'm not the kind to give up, unfortunately, I am the kind who will obsess on find a solution (which will of course, drive the family batty )
Old 11-01-2013, 01:20 AM   #54
moyekj

To find out if HDMI is causing the problem you could try connecting TiVo via component to TV and disconnecting HDMI. There seems to have been multiple HDMI related issues & fixes with Roamios thus far.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:55 AM   #55
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Not sure what the DIAL feature is. I just go to Netflix in menu (where Hulu, Amazon etc are located), then once Netflix UI loads, choose my show and watch it until a reboot occurs (or doesn't).
DIAL is the feature that allows you to pick shows on your iPad, or whatever, and then have them play on the TiVo. Doesn't sound like you use it.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:25 AM   #56
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
4. Motionflow - "Produces smoother picture movement and reduces picture blur" - High, Standard, Off -(Mine is set to Standard)
5.CineMotion - "provides improved picture movement and reduces picture blur and graininess for film based content" - Auto 1 for standard use, Auto 2 to represent original film based content as is and Off. (Mine is set to Auto 1).
I'm late to this thread and don't fully understand your problem, but a friend of mine with an Apple TV and a new Samsung flat panel has trouble and we believe it's related to special processing features like Motionflow and CineMotion. I'd try turning them both off and doing some testing.
DeltaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:51 AM   #57
anthonymoody

Anyone know why Netflix doesn't always appear at the bottom of the list of My Shows? Usually the first time I go to the list it's not there. If I back out and go back in it's there. Anyone else have this issue?
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #58
ustavio

Quote:
To find out if HDMI is causing the problem you could try connecting TiVo via component to TV and disconnecting HDMI. There seems to have been multiple HDMI related issues & fixes with Roamios thus far.
I switched out the HDMI with another one for the moment and will try your suggestion as soon as I can find the dang component cables. I haven't used them for ages. They're probably in the garage somewhere with that old hand cranked RCA record player......

Last edited by ustavio : 11-02-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #59
ustavio

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaOne View Post
I'm late to this thread and don't fully understand your problem, but a friend of mine with an Apple TV and a new Samsung flat panel has trouble and we believe it's related to special processing features like Motionflow and CineMotion. I'd try turning them both off and doing some testing.
Thanks. I have also wondered if this might be a factor. I have now turned off Motionflow and CineMotion. I'll do a marathon of something like 24 or Alias and see if the issue persists. Let me know if your friend has any success.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:54 AM   #60
ustavio

Thank you all for your ideas. You've been far more helpful than Tivo or Netflix to this point. The quest continues......