TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #31
a80099

This happened to me today... Was watching a lot of back to back streaming and it locked up, froze/rebooted all on its own.

This is the first time happening and seemed to work fine afterwords. Hopefully was fluke and norm. Guess need to keep watching see what comes out.
a80099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:56 AM   #32
Floridaman

I have the Roamio Pro with the most current update and it is hooked up to a moca network. While watching Netflix through the Tivo it flashes off for a couple of seconds and then comes back on. The screen goes black briefly. This probably happened at least 10 times last night during a 1 hour show. My Tivo has never rebooted from this issue. Additionally If I play Netflix through my smart TV it seems to work properly. Watched the same show and had one dropout verses 10 or more on the Tivo. It appears the Netflix app still has bugs that need to be fixed.
Floridaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:49 AM   #33
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridaman View Post
I have the Roamio Pro with the most current update and it is hooked up to a moca network. While watching Netflix through the Tivo it flashes off for a couple of seconds and then comes back on. The screen goes black briefly. This probably happened at least 10 times last night during a 1 hour show. My Tivo has never rebooted from this issue. Additionally If I play Netflix through my smart TV it seems to work properly. Watched the same show and had one dropout verses 10 or more on the Tivo. It appears the Netflix app still has bugs that need to be fixed.
This is most often caused by Netflix resolution changes as Netflix adjusts to network congestion in busy evenings. The TiVo seems to take an inordinate amount of time to change resolution on the TV and then check that the TV has changed. It seems to be somewhat TV dependent; perhaps the HDCP communication is problematic for some TVs. A work-around is to set a single output format on the TiVo (like 1080i or 1080p). Then the TiVo is doing all the resolution changing and never has to have the troublesome conversations with your TV.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:08 PM   #34
Floridaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
This is most often caused by Netflix resolution changes as Netflix adjusts to network congestion in busy evenings. The TiVo seems to take an inordinate amount of time to change resolution on the TV and then check that the TV has changed. It seems to be somewhat TV dependent; perhaps the HDCP communication is problematic for some TVs. A work-around is to set a single output format on the TiVo (like 1080i or 1080p). Then the TiVo is doing all the resolution changing and never has to have the troublesome conversations with your TV.
You were spot on with this issue. I had my video settings set to 1080i and 1080P. I changed to 1080i only and watched a 1 hour show on Netflix. Video never dropped out at all. Thanks a million for the advice!
Floridaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:26 PM   #35
Dan203
Super Moderator

I had this happen for the first time last night. I've been watching Netflix a LOT lately via my Roamio and this is the first time.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #36
ustavio

ustavio

I've been experiencing Netflix reboots daily now on my Tivo Pro. It usually happens late evening or early morning. I have all the latest updates(including the one that was supposed to fix this issue) and the recent profiles upgrade. Set only to 1080p. I have a direct MoCa connection with no switches (green or otherwise). The coax, however, does run through a splitter (GTE 5-2300 MHz with power pass ports) with one leg going to the Tivo Pro and the other to a Fios set top box. The TV is a Sony Bravia with HDMI hook up. Set up is exactly the same as previous Tivo HD (although I used a MoCa adapter and everything worked fine). If I plug an ethernet cord into the back and connect it to my BluRay I can watch Netflix with no problems or reboots. At first I wondered if it had anything to do with a service connection or VCM but it happens no matter what.

This doesn't happen with any other Netflix platform in the house (and every TV is a Sony). Am I missing something here? Is there still a known issue being worked on (or an unknown one being investigated)? It is becoming very tedious and I'm about to throw in the towel.
ustavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:23 PM   #37
bbrown9

TiVoMargret said they were working with Netflix to resolve it. That was a while ago, though, and I haven't heard any updates on whether they know what the problem is or how to fix it.
bbrown9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:04 PM   #38
ustavio

Netflix causing TivoReboot

Thanks. Good to know.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:15 PM   #39
ustavio

This is clearly not fixed yet. In addition to rebooting EVERY time we watch Netflix, the profiles are now gone. One wonders why this is such a complicated fix.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:07 AM   #40
ustavio

Well, I was hopeful as we haven't had any reboots lately. Hopes dashed. Tivo rebooted again a few minutes ago while watching Netflix and, of course, while recording something. Beyond annoyed
Old 11-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #41
ustavio

Well, I just got another reboot while watching Netflix. I've done just about everything suggested by everyone. I swapped out HDMI cords, I turned off MotionFlow, CineMotion, Mpeg Noise and just about everything. I've signed in and out of Netflix so many times my fingers are numb. I even sent two notes to TivoMargret and have received no responses. Just when I think everything is okay, another reboot occurs. I no longer watch Netflix if anything else is recording because I don't want the hassle of rescheduling.

This is taking an enormous amount of time and energy and I'm at wits end.

Last edited by ustavio : 11-22-2013 at 01:58 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:49 AM   #42
cuzican

Same problems

Just bumping this thread since the problems still exist in the new year. Roamio Plus for xmas and when watching netflix for a bit at night it makes the tivo need a reboot to start working again. Been happening since xmas...

Meanwhile netflix and my older tivo premier will work just fine during the same time..

It makes the tivo roamio loose network connectivity even though the network is up. You can see that all network enabled things aren't working anymore. (hulu, youtube, etc.)
cuzican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:57 PM   #43
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzican View Post
Just bumping this thread since the problems still exist in the new year. Roamio Plus for xmas and when watching netflix for a bit at night it makes the tivo need a reboot to start working again. Been happening since xmas...

Meanwhile netflix and my older tivo premier will work just fine during the same time..

It makes the tivo roamio loose network connectivity even though the network is up. You can see that all network enabled things aren't working anymore. (hulu, youtube, etc.)
I suspect you've got cause and effect reversed.

The Roamio losing network connectivity (for whatever reason, such as bad connection or faulty hardware) is causing the Roamio to reboot while watching Netflix, based upon other folks experiences. So look and see if you can address that issue.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:19 PM   #44
Fusillade

I've had this issue occur to me on three occasions. In all instances, I was watching Netflix and pressed the Tivo button on the remote. I now press the live tv button and wait for the tv to resume normal live tv operation before pressing the Tivo button. The problem has not happened since.
Fusillade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:57 PM   #45
morac
Cat God

I had this happen today on my Roamio Pro. The TV show I was watching ended and it went back to the episode list, but the screen didn't fill in. The episode list was blank. The Roamio rebooted a few seconds later.

This is the first time I've seen this. Other than this reboot, my Roamio has been stable as a rock. My box is on 20.3.8.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:47 AM   #46
ghuido

haven't posted in forever since everything has been good with my TIVO Premier and TIVO Roamio.

I am getting this issue.

I can confirm it is when I press the TIVO Button.

It has happened at least 4 times in the past month. Don't know if hte latest update introduced some instability.

The TIVO has had

- Netflix Paused or Running Video
- Was Recording a Show and not recording shows

Everytime this issue happens. The TIVO goes from the Netflix video a dark screen. Hangs on that screen for a good 20 seconds then reboots.

The TIVO is directly connected to a wired switch Non Green Netgear.

Never had issues with this till the past month and have watched entire seasons of shows with no problems before.
ghuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:54 PM   #47
Tommy723

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghuido View Post
haven't posted in forever since everything has been good with my TIVO Premier and TIVO Roamio.

I am getting this issue.

It has happened at least 4 times in the past month. Don't know if hte latest update introduced some instability.

The TIVO has had

Everytime this issue happens. The TIVO goes from the Netflix video a dark screen. Hangs on that screen for a good 20 seconds then reboots.

Never had issues with this till the past month and have watched entire seasons of shows with no problems before.
I am having this EXACT same problem on my Premiere... Very irritating :-(
Tommy723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:57 PM   #48
Barrynof

Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghuido View Post

I am getting this issue.

The TIVO has had

Exact same problem here. Happened to me twice today. It doesn't matter if I back out by using the EXIT feature on the app or if I hit the Tivo button on my remote. Has anyone heard anything about this? I believe that it is just Tivo making a DVR that can't do all that they want it to, so it just reboots much like old computers used to do.
Barrynof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:39 PM   #49
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrynof View Post
Exact same problem here. Happened to me twice today. It doesn't matter if I back out by using the EXIT feature on the app or if I hit the Tivo button on my remote. Has anyone heard anything about this? I believe that it is just Tivo making a DVR that can't do all that they want it to, so it just reboots much like old computers used to do.
The new software is being put out today, see if that will fix your re-boot problem.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:21 AM   #50
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
The new software is being put out today, see if that will fix your re-boot problem.
Today for the first to sign up for the priority list, when it went live again.

The rest will roll out over time, in controlled phases, like every other update.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:14 AM   #51
manfromnowhere

I found this thread via Google. I just bought a Premiere and the FIRST time I tried Netflix, I exited pressing the TiVo button and the entire thing rebooted. Netflix was never great on my TiVo HD so I rarely used it (bought a Chromecast) - not sure if I'll be using it on my Premiere if it keeps rebooting the box. At least on my HD it just booted me to the main screen, not interrupting recordings.

I'm running 20.4.4a which is the latest software.
manfromnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote