TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-24-2013, 05:29 PM   #31
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Finally got to watch this and it was pretty good, but while they spent plenty of time talking about the conflicts with Leadon, Meisner, and Felder they conveniently ignored the most damaging conflict of all - between Henley and Frey themselves. It got pretty nasty, and they completely glossed over it.

The way it was presented, it looked like the last battle between Frey and Felder ended the band when in reality the worse problem was between Frey and Henley. Felder wasn't even a founding member. They could have replaced him and continued on just like they did Leadon and Meisner.

To not even acknowledge that the real cause of the breakup was Frey/Henley and lay it at Felder's feet is disingenous at best.

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber

Last edited by scooterboy : 02-24-2013 at 06:47 PM.
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #32
sharkster

This has been running on HBO again and I finally watched last night. I didn't know it was 3 hours, and it kept me up later than usual, but I loved it.

Years ago (late 90s I believe) my husband really wanted to see them at one point, when they were going to be here. He asked me if I wanted to go. I was basically like 'meh, ok I guess'. Wow! It was the best concert I've ever attended. I don't know what was wrong with me that I didn't have proper respect for them. I guess I was too busy partying at the time and everything just mashed together, so I didn't actually realize all those songs were theirs. d'oh

I didn't know all the ins and outs, and changes so it was very interesting. Of course, it's also a trip to see how they looked back in their heyday and then now. Most held up pretty well. The one guy (oh darn, forgot his name - first falsetto guy who was pretty cute young) actually almost scared me out of my chair when I saw him 'now'.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:59 PM   #33
super dave
Upgrade Willy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardHead View Post
Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, if you really enjoyed this you should immediately read Don Felder's Heaven and Hell for the other side of the story. Great read, great stories and a very different viewpoint of Henley and Fry.
I had read that book before I even watched the show, and only reading Felder's side I thought it was all Frey and Henley causing the problems. But last year, my Dad (the Leader of The Les Paul Trio that plays The Iridium every Monday night in NYC) booked Felder to play with The Trio. Because of the book and the interview I heard on Stern I called my Dad expecting to hear how great it was only to hear words from Dad's mouth I have never heard about another human being, "He's dead to me!"

Turns out Felder is the problem, he was a prima donna, had his little drumming box and would only practice 2 songs with the band, then threw a fit grabbed his gear and left. Stood up anyone that purchased a ticket to see him, he was a no show that evening. My Dad was furious, calling him the most unprofessional piece of garbage he has ever worked with, and he has worked with them all. Changed my opinion,so when I watched The Showtime special I saw him entirely different, and the band members all stated all he did was complain about what everybody was getting always causing problems, and I now believe them.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #34
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip 2-18-2013 View Post
I'm spending a week away from TVs, but recorded this and will watch upon my return. Sounds good!
Thread bump! Finally watched this; took a little longer than I planned. Really well done documentary. Been an Eagle's fan since... well, a long time ago. But never knew much about them.

It's amazing how much video footage they have of the early days. They filmed everything!

Is there anyone, of a certain age, who didn't make "Their Greatest Hits" one of the first albums you also bought on CD as you were updating your collection from records to CDs.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:54 AM   #35
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Thread bump! Finally watched this; took a little longer than I planned. Really well done documentary. Been an Eagle's fan since... well, a long time ago. But never knew much about them.

It's amazing how much video footage they have of the early days. They filmed everything!

Is there anyone, of a certain age, who didn't make "Their Greatest Hits" one of the first albums you also bought on CD as you were updating your collection from records to CDs.
Is this still just on Showtime or has it made it to streaming yet?
Old 09-03-2013, 06:57 AM   #36
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post

The only version of Eagles Greatest Hits I own is still on vinyl. And it was my wife's from before we were married. The first Eagles I bought was Hotel California which came out after GH. That's the only Eagles album I own both on vinyl and CD. Of course, since, I have a turntable with a USB connection so own it all digitally now
Old 09-03-2013, 08:51 AM   #37
DougF

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
Finally got to watch this and it was pretty good, but while they spent plenty of time talking about the conflicts with Leadon, Meisner, and Felder they conveniently ignored the most damaging conflict of all - between Henley and Frey themselves. It got pretty nasty, and they completely glossed over it.

The way it was presented, it looked like the last battle between Frey and Felder ended the band when in reality the worse problem was between Frey and Henley. Felder wasn't even a founding member. They could have replaced him and continued on just like they did Leadon and Meisner.

To not even acknowledge that the real cause of the breakup was Frey/Henley and lay it at Felder's feet is disingenous at best.
Well, Frey and Henley aren't stupid. They've had a license to print money since 1994 and I don't think they are going to let anything out there that shows them negatively if they can help it.
DougF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:07 AM   #38
mwhip
All better

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougF View Post
Well, Frey and Henley aren't stupid. They've had a license to print money since 1994 and I don't think they are going to let anything out there that shows them negatively if they can help it.
94? I think 74 is more like it. As they said in the documentary they started their own Eagles corp in the 70's to put all merchandising and publishing under.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:13 AM   #39
DougF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
94? I think 74 is more like it. As they said in the documentary they started their own Eagles corp in the 70's to put all merchandising and publishing under.
Sure, they've been raking it in for 40 years. But I think the reunion kinda kicked it up a notch. I would think their earnings jumped substantially then.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:57 AM   #40
Marco
Yes, Mr. Tony

Checked the listings and this is airing just once coming up, this Sunday afternoon (during football). DVR set.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:03 AM   #41
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Checked the listings and this is airing just once coming up, this Sunday afternoon (during football). DVR set.
I wish this would make it on to streaming or DVD/BD. I definitely want to watch this, but not enough to sub to Showtime. Of course the times we've had free previews, it's not been on.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #42
super dave
Upgrade Willy

It's on demand if you have it.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #43
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by super dave View Post
It's on demand if you have it.
Nope, need a Showtime sub to access it.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #44
Saturn_V
Now with flavor!

Quote:
Sure, they've been raking it in for 40 years. But I think the reunion kinda kicked it up a notch.
A huge notch. That tour made more in two years ($160M) than they ever did touring during the 1970s. The live album and the MTV concert video that debuted later that year made it a perfect storm. I saw em in '94 in Mountain View, CA. I still remember being astonished with the cross-generational makeup of the audience.

The Blu-Ray has been in my wishlist for a few months. I may finally pull the trigger on it now.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #45
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn_V View Post
A huge notch. That tour made more in two years ($160M) than they ever did touring during the 1970s. The live album and the MTV concert video that debuted later that year made it a perfect storm. I saw em in '94 in Mountain View, CA. I still remember being astonished with the cross-generational makeup of the audience.

The Blu-Ray has been in my wishlist for a few months. I may finally pull the trigger on it now.
Added to my wishlist as well. If this shows up on Showtime the next time I get a freebie, I'll remove. If not I'll by this before the holidays. I like the idea that there's a concert included with this. I enjoy watching concerts of bands I like on DVD/BD or even streaming.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:37 AM   #46
ScubaCat
Shades of Blue......

The documentary is also available on iTunes for $12.99.
ScubaCat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:05 PM   #47
SteveInNC

Quote:
Sure, they've been raking it in for 40 years. But I think the reunion kinda kicked it up a notch. I would think their earnings jumped substantially then.
If you're talking about the Hell Freezes Over tour, I'm kind of pissed at them because that was the first concert that broke over $100/ticket at our local shed venue, even for lawn seats. Until then, even big contemporary acts would max at around $40-45 for reserved seats. After HFO, all ticket pricing took a big jump.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #48
DougF

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInNC View Post
If you're talking about the Hell Freezes Over tour, I'm kind of pissed at them because that was the first concert that broke over $100/ticket at our local shed venue, even for lawn seats. Until then, even big contemporary acts would max at around $40-45 for reserved seats. After HFO, all ticket pricing took a big jump.
Yep, that's the one. Well, the whole event really (reunion, tour, video, cd, etc.) My ticket for that tour was ~$65 for mid-range in in April of '95. Several years later ('02 or '03), paid over $100/ticket for similiar seats. That was my last huge concert. Decided after that one that the prices weren't worth it and I've only seen a few state fair shows since. Haven't paid more than $30 for one of those shows.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:43 PM   #49
DougF

Read this week that Bernie Leadon is playing on their current tour in support of the documentary. Felder wasn't invited for obvious reasons. Not sure why Meisner wasn't either.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #50
Lori
Social Defective

Quote:
Read this week that Bernie Leadon is playing on their current tour in support of the documentary. Felder wasn't invited for obvious reasons. Not sure why Meisner wasn't either.
Meisner was invited, but he's been sick and unable to tour.

http://www.allaxess.com/guitar-blog/...-bernie-leadon

http://www.quadcitydailynews.com/blo...id=20&id=84407

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is not the size of our army that shall lead us to victory. It is the undeniable righteousness of our cause... "--JAB
Lori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:37 PM   #51
bsnelson
I'm an Android, baby

TC CLUB MEMBER
After having had this sit on the DVR since February, I finally watched it last night. Wow. I expected it to be kind of a glorified "Behind The Music" type thing, but it's light years ahead of that. The amount of archival footage (as others have noted) was vast. The storytelling was great (although, as others have noticed, not much on Frey vs. Henley), and it was great learning about how the various members left and came into the band.

I agree that Frey is a bit full of himself; I thought his solo work was the weakest of the bunch (well, weakest of Henley, Walsh and Frey), and I don't like most of it. Henley and Walsh's stuff, OTOH, I love and listen to regularly.

One thing I'd always wondered, and now reinforced after seeing this, is why they didn't have Schmit sing lead on "Take It To The Limit" after Meisner left? He had basically been "swapped in" for Meisner in Poco, singing and playing the same stuff; why did they re-key the song and have Frey sing it? I'll always love Meisner's version the best (this is my favorite Eagles song, but only if he's singing).

And finally, a note to all would-be singers who are living in the AutoTune age: Listen to the a cappella parts of this show closely, and decide whether or not you are, in fact, a singer, or are you just input for AutoTune. They sounded stunning, both in the 70s and in the much later years, but honestly, the opening scene with them singing "Seven Bridges Road" in the dressing room just blew me away. No electronics of any kind, just organic voices. Wow.

Brad
bsnelson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:55 PM   #52
tvmaster2

I liked it a lot - the footage from the 70's being the best part, just because there was so much and of good quality as well.

However, by the end of hearing his whining about money, Glenn Frey comes off as being a bit of a jerk. Most bands generally split the touring money equally. Where Frey/Henley make the big bucks is from writing royalties.

Did Led Zeppelin pay John Bonham less than Robert Plant with regards to touring money? Not likely.

Did John Deacon make less than Freddie Mercury when on stage? Not likely (actually, in their later years, Queen equalized everything to the point of saying "all songs written by Queen"). Fans all knew who wrote most of the song, but they decided in the end that it would cut down on un-productive fighting in the studio.

I'm surprised that Tim Schmidt and Joe Walsh AGREED to getting less money for touring. That just shows a) how much they needed the money because of their lack of writing royalties, and b) how much money writing royalties earn for the artist. And while Felder may also be a bit of a jerk away from the cameras, Frey made the point it was all about the money, so that's the only point I'm focusing on here.

Frey comes off as a complete a%^hole by the end of the doc, and since Henley (ooo, the big Democrat) essentially goes along with this, just not on film, he's kinda a jerk as well.

If that's the way they feel, that they're worth more on stage than everyone else, then just hire four lackies, pay them scale, and hit the road....

Last edited by tvmaster2 : 10-30-2013 at 01:01 PM.
tvmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:03 PM   #53
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
...I'm surprised that Tim Schmidt and Joe Walsh AGREED to getting less money for touring. That just shows a) how much they needed the money because of their lack of writing royalties, and b) how much money writing royalties earn for the artist. And while Felder may also be a bit of a jerk away from the cameras, Frey made the point it was all about the money, so that's the only point I'm focusing on here.
Well, like Joe said he just wanted to play on the stuff that Henley and Frey wrote. I don't think Joe needed the money that much. He does fine recording and touring on his own and with such as Ringo.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #54
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

I thought Frey came across as a competent businessman successfully running his business in a way to maximize its value. Made perfect sense to me.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:19 PM   #55
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Any plans to put this on DVD/BD? I don't have Showtime, but I would love to see this.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:22 PM   #56
Wilhite
...no stinkin' title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Any plans to put this on DVD/BD? I don't have Showtime, but I would love to see this.
Yep.

Wilhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:38 PM   #57
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhite View Post
Awesome. Thanks!! Early holiday present for me from myself perhaps?

I'll have to see if it's streaming somewhere first though.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:59 PM   #58
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Awesome. Thanks!! Early holiday present for me from myself perhaps?

I'll have to see if it's streaming somewhere first though.
Yes, Google is your friend.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:45 PM   #59
bsnelson
I'm an Android, baby

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
I thought Frey came across as a competent businessman successfully running his business in a way to maximize its value. Made perfect sense to me.
It wasn't just the money, though. At times, he made it sound like the band's success was primarily because of him (he even used "I" in a few places), whereas Henley seems to have had at least an equal part.

I tend to think of The Eagles today as Henley, Frey, Walsh and Schmit, with the latter more or less being "Oh yeah, he's the bass player and sings 'I Can't Tell You Why'". At the least, the core has to include Walsh from a performance standpoint. I don't think this is like, say, KISS with Eric Singer and Tommy Thayer, who pretty much are interchangeable parts behind the makeup (albeit pretty good ones).

Either way, just give me "Take It To The Limit" with Meisner on vox, or any other Eagles song with whomever is singing and playing, and I'm probably enjoying it.

Brad
bsnelson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:57 PM   #60
tvmaster2

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
maybe, but if I want to watch business docs, I'll turn on Bloomberg. This is music...art...passion. Actually, I'd pay to see Joe Walsh live....the other guys...meh.
Don't get me wrong - I have several Eagles discs and they wrote some great songs...but records are one thing, live performance another...

Last edited by tvmaster2 : 10-30-2013 at 10:13 PM.
tvmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote