TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-14-2013, 10:38 AM   #1531
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnut View Post
I thought I would give a quick update on my scenario; after replacing my bad hard drive, I was still having issues. Tried a couple different images and only had success once. Long story short, I had a bad SATA cable. After taking a dremel to the adapter to separate the power to the drive, I was able to replace the SATA cable and was back to being fully functional.
Congrats on hanging in there.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:40 PM   #1532
pnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Congrats on hanging in there.
Thanks, I really only use it as a tuner for my projector, so I didn't want to throw too much money at it. Appreciate the support here.
pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:17 PM   #1533
cptn_zippy

Looking for the image for a TCD540080, but the dropbox links aren't working, getting a 404 error...
cptn_zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #1534
flatbroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by laddanator View Post
Broke down and bought a HR10-250 image from Instantcake. I figured as many post on the HR10-250, there would have been an image floating around here but all good in the hood as they say.
Just like a few others I am also looking for a HR10-250 image because of a hard drive failuer. Can you share this image with us?
flatbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:22 PM   #1535
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptn_zippy View Post
Looking for the image for a TCD540080, but the dropbox links aren't working, getting a 404 error...

These are the most recent links, maybe you ran into Time-Warner's outage in the northeast somehow.

There for (or at least from) the slightly bigger than everybody else's 40GB Maxtor 40GB, but that means they'll fit on anything from about 41GB up and you can just expand into the empty space.

The software is the same for all of the 540 models.

For use with the MFS Live cd v1.4

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20/540040c.bak

For use with the WinMFS program

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20/540040c.tbk

They seem to be working now.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:27 PM   #1536
cptn_zippy

Ok, I got them. They are working now :-)

Thanks -
cptn_zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:33 PM   #1537
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

Hello all,

How about a blast from the past. I need an image for the Toshiba RS-TX60. I thought I had one, but the source disc must be damaged, because I cannot get a clean backup image from it. The TiVo boots with the image, but won't let me make a backup.

I know an image from a RS-TX20 will work, but I want a real TX60 image, so it will say "RS-TX60" in the system info page.

I mostly use WinMFS, but I can use a mstools backup, too.

I anyone is selling their old TX60 or would like to "get rid of" one, send me a PM. Maybe we can work out a deal.

Thankx,

robomeister

P.S. If anyone needs an image for any of other Series 2 TiVos, I have most of them. Let me know.
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Most with Lifetime and upgraded drives
All Series 2s with Linksys USB200M
robomeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #1538
cr33p

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatbroke View Post
Just like a few others I am also looking for a HR10-250 image because of a hard drive failuer. Can you share this image with us?
Still needing this image? I have a few at home I can host, let me know
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #1539
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr33p View Post
Still needing this image? I have a few at home I can host, let me know
Do you already have a free DropBox account?

If not, I can give them your email address so that I get credit when they send you an invite, and when you sign up for it we both get extra free space.

It's pretty much the perfect way to host TiVo images.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #1540
cr33p

I do have an account, sorry , but thanks! 46.4gb free
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:41 PM   #1541
genepool

Does anyone have an HDVR2 6.4a image? Thanks in advance.

This request is complete, thanks everyone for your help.

Last edited by genepool : 10-28-2013 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Request was fulfilled
genepool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:13 PM   #1542
johnma

help please, need 24004a image

my mothers series2 240 drive and power supply went out. I bought a used 240 to part the drive and powersupply. Upon booting the tivo gets up, but after completing booting, there is a screen that says there is a hardware problem. It says to re-start and same thing shows up. No way to determine error. I tried unitron's 140 image on a 80 gig WD, but winMFS crashes at the end, failing restore. I tried unitron's 24080 on a 100 gig maxtor drive, but when it boots I get the same hardware error screen. I tried numerous times, but no go. I know little about kickstart, but I tried and couldn't get it to work. I'm guessing the hardware problem is the image restored conflicts with motherboard numbers. I think my only solution is looking for an original 24004a image. I can't buy a drive and I can't afford TiVo TCD24004A - InstantCake Download. Any help would be appreciated. P.S. unitron ALL your efforts to keep the images available are appreciated. Also unitron I've tried to figure out how to fix my mom's tivo and appreciate all your helpful responses to others, so thanks unitron!
johnma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:06 PM   #1543
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnma View Post
my mothers series2 240 drive and power supply went out. I bought a used 240 to part the drive and powersupply. Upon booting the tivo gets up, but after completing booting, there is a screen that says there is a hardware problem. It says to re-start and same thing shows up. No way to determine error. I tried unitron's 140 image on a 80 gig WD, but winMFS crashes at the end, failing restore. I tried unitron's 24080 on a 100 gig maxtor drive, but when it boots I get the same hardware error screen. I tried numerous times, but no go. I know little about kickstart, but I tried and couldn't get it to work. I'm guessing the hardware problem is the image restored conflicts with motherboard numbers. I think my only solution is looking for an original 24004a image. I can't buy a drive and I can't afford TiVo TCD24004A - InstantCake Download. Any help would be appreciated. P.S. unitron ALL your efforts to keep the images available are appreciated. Also unitron I've tried to figure out how to fix my mom's tivo and appreciate all your helpful responses to others, so thanks unitron!
The errors you have been getting is from the mismatched Tivo Service number of the different Tivo/images and the way to solve that is to do Clear & Delete Everything under the Settings menu.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #1544
johnma

Thanks ThAbtO

I'm trying out what you said, still hoping for a 24004a image if it's out there, so I can put this 40 gig drive to use, or at least the WD 80 gig. The 100 maxtor isn't an AV drive, but I'm using it till I come up with an image. Thanks again, johnma
Old 10-29-2013, 09:49 PM   #1545
johnma

Any know why winMFS crashes right at the end of the restore process? Thank you Also, I tried on win7 win8 and XP, all crashed right before cleanup and partition extensioning at end of restore.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:47 PM   #1546
unitron

Quote:
Any know why winMFS crashes right at the end of the restore process? Thank you Also, I tried on win7 win8 and XP, all crashed right before cleanup and partition extensioning at end of restore.
Is that my image crashing WinMFS?

Old 10-30-2013, 01:10 PM   #1547
johnma

please forgive my inane questions, I'm trying to get to 12 posts to pm lillevig to get some image help. Is there anyway to defeat a parental pin block. I bought a used tivo and I can't access to change anything cause it was parental locked. Thanks johnma
Old 10-30-2013, 01:19 PM   #1548
johnma

Thanks

Quote:
Is that my image crashing WinMFS?
Actually no, your image worked on a 100 gig maxtor. I needed a 40 gig image, and I read you posted that a 140 would work on a 240. I found a 140 here and tried it and winmfs crashed at the end. In my reading winmfs crashes on others and they ask but never get answers. I appreciate your help, but I want to put my mom's WD80 gig back, so I'm trying to find an old 24040 image. I really appreciate your earlier writings as they at least got my mom's tivo working if only temporarily.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:40 PM   #1549
unitron

Quote:
Actually no, your image worked on a 100 gig maxtor. I needed a 40 gig image, and I read you posted that a 140 would work on a 240. I found a 140 here and tried it and winmfs crashed at the end. In my reading winmfs crashes on others and they ask but never get answers. I appreciate your help, but I want to put my mom's WD80 gig back, so I'm trying to find an old 24040 image. I really appreciate your earlier writings as they at least got my mom's tivo working if only temporarily.
So your mom has a 240040 or 24004a?

Is it the original 40GB drive, in addition to the power supply, that was giving trouble, or had that drive been upgraded previously?

(I'm assuming mom has lifetime on that thing)

What about the used 240 you bought? Did it work okay when you got it except for the no active subscription thing, and what brand and size drive did it come with.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #1550
johnma

24004a

My mom has a 24004a, it had a replacement WD80 that is/was corrupted,yes with lifetime subscription. The 24004a replacement I bought for her I took out the power supply and it works in her tivo. The 40 gig drive in that replacement unit has a parental lock pin, so I can't crack it, so I'm trying to get a 40 image to re-image her WD80, and re-image the pin locked 40 gig maxtor. I think lillevig might have that image, but I need 12 posts to pm. But thanks for your info and time and help
Old 10-30-2013, 02:15 PM   #1551
unitron

Quote:
My mom has a 24004a, it had a replacement WD80 that is/was corrupted,yes with lifetime subscription. The 24004a replacement I bought for her I took out the power supply and it works in her tivo. The 40 gig drive in that replacement unit has a parental lock pin, so I can't crack it, so I'm trying to get a 40 image to re-image her WD80, and re-image the pin locked 40 gig maxtor. I think lillevig might have that image, but I need 12 posts to pm. But thanks for your info and time and help
If that new used 240 boots up okay, can you run a clear and delete everything on it?

Unless the parental lock prevents that, doing so should wipe out the parental lock.

It'll also wipe out any shows that are left on there, but moving that drive to your mom's TiVo would do the same thing, so you don't lose anything.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:17 PM   #1552
unitron

Have you taken a look at that 80GB with mfsinfo in WinMFS?

(It occurs to me that part of the problem might be a failed switchover from the "b" version of the software to the recently released "c" version.

A lot of 540 owners had a problem with that.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:20 PM   #1553
johnma

Quote:
If that new used 240 boots up okay, can you run a clear and delete everything on it?

Unless the parental lock prevents that, doing so should wipe out the parental lock.

It'll also wipe out any shows that are left on there, but moving that drive to your mom's TiVo would do the same thing, so you don't lose anything.
When I go to clear and delete it asks for pin, so I'm stuck. As far as examining the WD80 gig, It got over formatted, so I'm gonna need an image, just don't have a job and so $40 is out of the question. Thanks again
Old 10-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #1554
johnma

also

I was wondering about you mentioning to set swap to 512 when restoring certain .tbk in winmfs. Does that pertain to any special drives, is it large capacity or sata or what? Thanks johnma

Last edited by johnma : 10-30-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:30 PM   #1555
unitron

Quote:
When I go to clear and delete it asks for pin, so I'm stuck. As far as examining the WD80 gig, It got over formatted, so I'm gonna need an image, just don't have a job and so $40 is out of the question. Thanks again

(I assume you've tried some obvious ones like 0,1,2,3 or 1,2,3,4 or 2,4,6,8)

It sayeth here

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/180

that you need to call TiVo Customer Support to reset the password, so assemble the TiVo Service Numbers from both your mom's TiVo (to which her account is tied) and from the other one, and whatever else of which you can think to show them that you're who and what you say you are.

However, have you hooked the drive from the new used TiVo to a PC and run WinMFS or the MFS Live cd v1.4 and tried to do a truncated backup of it, and then restored that to some other drive?

Any drive that gets an image restored on it that came from a different TiVo, and therefore a different TSN, is going to throw an error 51, which is where it complains about the TSNs not matching, and then it's going to want to do the equivalent of a C&DE, and when it finishes you'll be at the start of Guided Setup.

Which is why I try to make my images from drives I've done a C&DE on and rebooted enough to see it want to start GS, so that it deals with the TSN mismatch as part of GS.

Perhaps the error 51 you'd get from putting the other TiVo's image into your mom's TiVo (even if it doesn't actually show you a screen that says error 51) would allow it to do a C&DE before it gets to the point of asking for the password/PIN.

Frankly, though, I think you should burn yourself a bootable cd from the Ultimate Boot CD image (available free) and run the manufacturer's long tests on all three drives involved.

The Seagate software should test the Maxtor okay, since it's from after they bought Maxtor, as I recall.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:33 PM   #1556
unitron

Quote:
While I'm at it, I was wondering about you mentioning to set swap to 512 when restoring certain .tbk in winmfs. Does that pertain to any special drives, is it large capacity or sata or what? Thanks johnma
Way way back in the day, when dinosaurs and Series 1 TiVos roamed the land, the rule of thumb developed by the drive embiggening pioneers was 1MB of swap space for every 2GBs of hard drive space, so that if the TiVo developed problems and had to do the Green Screen of Death thing for a few hours and straighten itself out, it had a big enough "scratch pad" on which to work.

Of course that was back when a kernel patch had to be applied to allow the S1s to use drives that broke the 137GB barrier.

Series 2s don't have that problem. They can handle at least up to a 1TB drive.

So how big does a swap partition need to be these days?

I don't know if anyone knows for absolute certain, but a 1GB swap on a 2TB drive in a Series 3 works out to about 15 minutes of best quality analog cable recording, so I figure it's cheap insurance. Might not help but no reason it should hurt.

If you were maxing out an S2 with a 1TB drive, then the "rule" would call for half a GB.

There's some confusion in all of that because of drives being sized in base 10, or decimal MB, GB, and TB, and files being sometimes measured in base 2, or binary measurements, the way your PC's RAM sticks are.

If you don't specify a swap size when restoring, it should default to the size that it was on the stock drive when the TiVo left the factory.

For S2s I think that's 128MB.

I don't think you can shrink my 80 fat Maxtor GBs image enough to fit on an 80GB WD or Seagate by reducing the swap size, or even eliminating it altogether.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:32 PM   #1557
johnma

wow

unitron, I'm gonna try restoring the image of the harddrive with pin to different drive and see what happens. Will report back. Thank you
Old 10-31-2013, 12:44 AM   #1558
johnma

restored drive to other drive, still has pin on it, didn't get hardware error page, will try again tomorrow. Thanks for all your help, and how you encourage, appreciate it, johnma
Old 10-31-2013, 02:51 PM   #1559
johnma

Breakthrough! thx to unitron and ThAbtO

Thanks to unitron for ALL the info and advice I got my mom's series2 back in business! It seems winMFS doesn't like a drive with anything on it to restore to. I had tried to restore an image and winmfs kept bombing. I wasn't sure about the image, and after reading it seems that the program bombed for people over the years, yet noone had gotten an answer about it. Last night unitron made a comment about re-checking my drive with diagnostic. I had done this but tried again anyway. I decided to write zeros to the drive while I was at it, and boom! it took the image, so kudos to unitron for ALWAYS encouraging the financially poor DIYer to keep trying. Also, thanks toThAbto for recommending to do the clear and delete for my beginning hardware error screen, that at least got my mom's tivo working with an old spare drive, now I can put the WD80 back! So, I'll report again down the line when I've got this all behind me, Thanx again, johnma
Old 10-31-2013, 05:34 PM   #1560
unitron

Excellent news.