TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-29-2013, 06:52 PM   #91
SnakeEyes

The Walking Dead - "Isolation" - S04E03 - OAD 10-27-13

Except that eventually bullets will be in short supply. Knives and katanas require shorter distance. As long as you have the proper bow for your strength you can draw another arrow quickly.
SnakeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:55 PM   #92
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyes View Post
Except that eventually bullets will be in short supply.
Yes, everything would be in short supply in this type of situation. But I'll bet that finding bullets will be much easier than finding crossbow bolts. And you don't have to go retrieve your bullets from a dead walker's head after shooting it. Unless you have an unlimited supply of bolts or you can always go to the target area and retrieve your bolts, and you're not doing any kind of close quarter fighting, then a crossbow just doesn't make any sense.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:57 PM   #93
smak
TV MA SLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
This episode further underscored how stupid a crossbow is as Daryl's choice of zombie-killing weapon. He can get off one shot and then it's useless in close quarters. And either he has to go back and retrieve his bolts, or he quickly runs out. The only advantage it has over a gun is the lack of noise, but that's about it. I would think a pistol with a couple extra magazines, a katana sword, and a good-sized knife would be the best complement of weapons to carry in their situation.
Watching that battle there, the katana was by far the best weapon. No reloading, and the way she wields the thing it's like a part of her.

-smak-
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:24 PM   #94
LaurenLMHC

Unresolved thread??

This question is unrelated to this episode, but I just remembered something from last season (I think) that I'm really confused about. Remember right after Lori died, Rick was receiving phone calls in the prison. He heard Lori's voice on the line, and also someone else's? Did they ever explain that??? I figured he was hallucinating when he SAW her, but the phone calls seemed to be more than hallucinations...
LaurenLMHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:51 PM   #95
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

As far as we know, just hallucinations, which seemed to stop when he got better.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:38 PM   #96
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
This episode further underscored how stupid a crossbow is as Daryl's choice of zombie-killing weapon. He can get off one shot and then it's useless in close quarters. And either he has to go back and retrieve his bolts, or he quickly runs out. The only advantage it has over a gun is the lack of noise, but that's about it. I would think a pistol with a couple extra magazines, a katana sword, and a good-sized knife would be the best complement of weapons to carry in their situation.
If he really wanted arrows, he should go with a regular bow, which he could probably fire at more than twice the rate of that crossbow.

But I agree that a sword is the best choice of primary weapon (maybe a spear would be better for someone who is clumsy and untrained with a sword, or perhaps a rifle with a bayonet). I'd go with a sawed off shotgun instead of a "pistol" (especially if I could make my own ammo, which should be feasible if there is a supply of gunpowder). And probably some sort of mace with long (at least 2 inch) spikes instead of a knife.

But it would not be a bad idea when going out as a team (and you should always go with a team) to have one person with a bow (not crossbow) who knows how to use it. Occasionally it comes in handy to quietly shoot at a distance.

Last edited by john4200 : 10-29-2013 at 09:07 PM.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:09 PM   #97
Craigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I wonder why Carol would burn the bodies.

I'm surprised they haven't stockpiled SUVs. You don't need a super fast 0-60 speed. You just need speed, size and elbow room and some type of ram on the front end to bust through zombies.

All the bickering made reading this thread was a chore.
I'm guessing In her mind to decontaminate the bodies so the flu or whatever the bus is would not spread.

But I've been saying the same thing about the vehicles used. Why use a small SUV like the Tuscon? Why not get a bunch of Toyota Land Cruisers, or Range Rovers, etc... Put snow plow blades on them and use them to mow down walkers that are in your path.

Granted your gas mileage won't be as good, but there's plenty of gas to siphon out of abandoned cars.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:04 AM   #98
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

I thought we were shown that Daryll makes his own arrows during down times...
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:19 AM   #99
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigbob View Post
Put snow plow blades on them and use them to mow down walkers that are in your path.
The prison is located near Nunez, Georgia. Average snowfall is less than an inch per year. Not likely to find too much snow removal equipment nearby.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:28 AM   #100
fmowry

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
The prison is located near Nunez, Georgia. Average snowfall is less than an inch per year. Not likely to find too much snow removal equipment nearby.
Should be enough front-loaders though. Or redneck 4X4s. Just run over them and squash them. If you can squash a skull with a foot....
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:41 AM   #101
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmowry View Post
Should be enough front-loaders though. Or redneck 4X4s. Just run over them and squash them. If you can squash a skull with a foot....
If they were to implement all of the suggestions that we've made here (a ditch around the prison to trap the walkers, line dumptrucks around the fence as a barrier, squash the walkers, etc.) the show would be pretty boring. They need to keep some of the danger, otherwise the walkers are simply a nuisance and not a threat.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:43 AM   #102
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
If they were to implement all of the suggestions that we've made here (a ditch around the prison to trap the walkers, line dumptrucks around the fence as a barrier, squash the walkers, etc.) the show would be pretty boring. They need to keep some of the danger, otherwise the walkers are simply a nuisance and not a threat.
I would totally watch a show dedicated to the mechanics, details and other minutiae involved in creating a walker-proof community.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:53 AM   #103
tripmac
NASA Supporter

I can't find it now but somewhere I saw a video about them wanting to make a moat to catch walkers, but it was not possible due to the location.

They found quicksand.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:02 AM   #104
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
I would totally watch a show dedicated to the mechanics, details and other minutiae involved in creating a walker-proof community.
Me too. I'd also like to see more coverage of basic necessities of life in a post-apocalyptic world.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:23 AM   #105
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
You might, I'm not sure the other 13 million viewers would.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:38 AM   #106
pmyers

Quote:
Exactly. This is the type of idea that I am talking about when I say that people here forget how dangerous this world is. It's not so easy to just go out and find a Toyota Landcruiser or a snow plow.

Do I agree that it would be nice to have, of course.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:41 AM   #107
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
This is the type of idea that I am talking about when I say that people here forget how dangerous this world is. It's not so easy to just go out and find a Toyota Landcruiser or a snow plow.
It is indeed a dangerous world when one cannot find a snow plow or a Toyota Landcruiser. What is a post-apocalyptic street clearer to do?
Old 10-30-2013, 10:47 AM   #108
tlc

Quote:
Exactly. This is the type of idea that I am talking about when I say that people here forget how dangerous this world is. It's not so easy to just go out and find a Toyota Landcruiser or a snow plow.
Just living without civilization is a lot of work.

We were without power and water for 11 days after hurricane Sandy. (We have a well.) Luckily my work was closed down too, because basic stuff took a good chunk of the daylight hours. Getting wood for the fireplace, getting water to drink and flush the toilet occasionally, going to the first aid squad to shower, surf and charge cell phones, managing our dwindling & thawing food stores, finding gasoline, keeping a 4 year old entertained, finding and preparing food. Challenging enough when surrounded by civilized folks, not walkers.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #109
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:
Any redneck worth their salt could jerry rig a cow catcher to the front of a 4x4.
That would make a dandy zombie plow.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:47 PM   #110
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripmac View Post
I can't find it now but somewhere I saw a video about them wanting to make a moat to catch walkers, but it was not possible due to the location.

They found quicksand.
Quicksand seems like a great solution for the Walkers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:47 PM   #111
janry

I spent the afternoon watching the first 3 episodes of this season. Writing does seem lazy. I can't stand Rick anymore. .... Hell, Carl is the only one I like anymore. I'd like to open the gates for the walkers. and let 'em in.

I might just quit this show.

No. It is still fun killing zombies.
janry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:52 PM   #112
DeDondeEs

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
It is indeed a dangerous world when one cannot find a snow plow or a Toyota Landcruiser. What is a post-apocalyptic street clearer to do?
A few episodes ago they were at an old army camp next to the grocery store with the walkers falling through the roof, there were at least two military Hummers sitting there. They should have grabbed those. To get over the dead walkers you need ground clearance.

As for the water situation, they should find some bottles of bleach to disinfect the water, it doesn't take much bleach (a few drops per gallon) to disinfect it. Or they could boil it, or make a still, or make some contraption to have the UV rays of the sun disinfect it.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #113
wedgecon
Just Plain Awesome

All I know is that so far this season is boring me. I watched the first part of "Talking Dead" and they were so excited and I just kept thinking why?

I am not sure what it is but I am not liking this as much as I used to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wedgecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:09 AM   #114
SocratesJohnson

Quote:
Shouldn't be too hard to find on of THESE in Georgia.

SocratesJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:17 AM   #115
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedgecon View Post
I watched the first part of "Talking Dead" and they were so excited and I just kept thinking why?
People are always excited when they get paid for doing stuff they'd willingly do for free.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:52 PM   #116
MonsterJoe
salty meat-poles

Does Halloween exist in this Universe? I want a Halloween episode with the kids dressing up as zombies and stuff...
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:33 PM   #117
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterJoe View Post
Does Halloween exist in this Universe? I want a Halloween episode with the kids dressing up as zombies and stuff...
Maybe they could get Bill Murray to guest-star...
Old 10-31-2013, 05:18 PM   #118
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
Any redneck worth their salt could jerry rig a cow catcher to the front of a 4x4.
That would make a dandy zombie plow.
It surprises me they haven't armored the vehicles. A gas powered welder shouldn't be too hard to find. Steel should be in decent supply.

You don't need fast moving. You need something heavy enough not to be easily tipped over, armor so the windows cannot be smashed. It doesnt even have to be heavy steel armor; expanded metal would be relatively lightweight and still protect from big dumb walkers. Big tires (foam filled if possible) for maneuvering over uneven terrain and resistance to puncture. Slow and steady wins the race.

I was not surprised carol turned out to be the killer, she was very pragmatic, teaching the kids how to kill (and this was told to Rick). She mercy killed a guy last week to protect the group. That could be seen as foreshadowing of mercy killing the two infected to protect the group. She figured they would die and turn anyway. From her perspective, euthanasia, not murder. She has also demonstrated taking matters into her own hands when she felt leadership would not approve.

Last edited by smbaker : 10-31-2013 at 05:23 PM.
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:37 PM   #119
justen_m

Have any of these morons watched A-Team!?!?
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:40 PM   #120
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Maybe they could get Bill Murray to guest-star...
Walkerland doesn't have the same ring to it.

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote