TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-29-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
hudmacom

Is Tivo + Mini's Cheaper than Cable

I currently have Verizon Fios with DVR and 4 additional cable boxes. (5 Total) It seems as if I purchase a Tivo DVR, 4 Mini's and get a cable card I would save in the long run. Am I doing the math wrong?
hudmacom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:35 PM   #2
JosephB

You haven't listed any numbers, so who knows. I have a Charter install on Friday and I have a single TiVo Roamio 4 tuner + one Mini and monthly it's cheaper than Charter's DVR. Factor in the purchase price and it's harder (or takes longer) to justify, but, I justified that by how much I'm saving by switching from DirecTV to a bundle.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:55 PM   #3
moyekj

Over the long term most likely, if by long term you mean a few years. But I never recommend TiVo to anyone as a way to save money, I recommend TiVo for the experience, which is something you can't really put a price on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:56 PM   #4
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Well you are going to have to tell us what you are paying for your DVR / cable boxes, but it is easy to tell you what a replacement system would cost you.

The Roamio Plus is $400 + service ($500 lifetime or $15 a month)
The Mini is $100 + service ($150 lifetime or $6 a month)

Considering that I only recommend lifetime service and direct replacement of what you get today.

1 DVR @ $900
4 Mini @ $1,000

So you can replace your entire system for $1,900 total investment and no additional service fees. (1 cable card from FIOS is required.)

You own the TiVo's and with lifetime service they maintain a significant value that you can sell and transfer.

That is a lot of money but it is a premium experience compared to the FIOS system... Only you can say if it is with the price.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:41 AM   #5
JosephB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
Well you are going to have to tell us what you are paying for your DVR / cable boxes, but it is easy to tell you what a replacement system would cost you.

Considering that I only recommend lifetime service and direct replacement of what you get today.

1 DVR @ $900
4 Mini @ $1,000

So you can replace your entire system for $1,900 total investment and no additional service fees. (1 cable card from FIOS is required.)

You own the TiVo's and with lifetime service they maintain a significant value that you can sell and transfer.

That is a lot of money but it is a premium experience compared to the FIOS system... Only you can say if it is with the price.
No clue what the FiOS rates are, and honestly don't even know what my local cable company (Charter) DVR + box rental rates are, but if you took DirecTV rates (and yes, I know you can't use TiVo on DirecTV) it would take 41 months to 'break even' on that investment if you were replacing a Genie, and that is assuming zero resale value, plus you can't even have 4 remote clients on a Genie.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
Old 10-30-2013, 10:27 AM   #6
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post

1 DVR @ $900
4 Mini @ $1,000

And these numbers are worst case scenario list prices. The reality is you can get lifetime service on the Roamio for $400 using code PLSR. You can also get the Minis from Amazon for $236 (assuming lifetime) and get the Plus a little cheaper than list from Weaknees or other sources.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:53 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

Don't forget you don't have to get lifetime. It's a better value long term but the initial layout can be intimidating. TiVo has a deal right now where if you call you can get a Roamio Plus for $350 + tax. Monthly service on that is $14.95/mo. You can get Minis from Amazon for $86 and monthly service on them is $4.95/mo. So you could get a setup for about $725 and then pay $34.75/mo instead. The payback on that is about 29 months. After that you're paying more then lifetime. And resale value for non-lifetime units is typically quite low. But if you can't afford to lay out $1825 right now it's a viable alternative.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
JosephB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Don't forget you don't have to get lifetime. It's a better value long term but the initial layout can be intimidating. TiVo has a deal right now where if you call you can get a Roamio Plus for $350 + tax. Monthly service on that is $14.95/mo. You can get Minis from Amazon for $86 and monthly service on them is $4.95/mo. So you could get a setup for about $725 and then pay $34.75/mo instead. The payback on that is about 29 months. After that you're paying more then lifetime. And resale value for non-lifetime units is typically quite low. But if you can't afford to lay out $1825 right now it's a viable alternative.
That's not a bad deal, though if you're like me and upgrade often. It's kind of a gamble if you think you'll upgrade the box in those two years or not. But, given that DirecTV and Dish charge you up front "lease fees" that are equivalent to purchasing, and cable rental fees can be really, really high, you're at the very least probably going to come out flat with a retail TiVo.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:09 PM   #9
Bigg

Lifetime TiVos will be cheaper than almost any cable company. The typical payback in 25 to 48 months, depending on the device and the rates the cable company charges. A system will average 30-40 months in most cases. If you keep the boxes an average of 5 years, you'll be saving quite a bit, and getting a far better DVR experience in the process.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:54 PM   #10
WRX09MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
And these numbers are worst case scenario list prices. The reality is you can get lifetime service on the Roamio for $400 using code PLSR. You can also get the Minis from Amazon for $236 (assuming lifetime) and get the Plus a little cheaper than list from Weaknees or other sources.
PLSR wasn't working the other day.
Slide x 2
Slide Pro x 2
Verizon Fios
WRX09MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:17 AM   #11
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX09MD View Post
PLSR wasn't working the other day.
It won't work if you buy directly from Tivo. It only works if you buy from another supplier because the proper coupon code field doesn't appear when you buy a pre-activated unit from Tivo.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #12
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudmacom View Post
I currently have Verizon Fios with DVR and 4 additional cable boxes. (5 Total) It seems as if I purchase a Tivo DVR, 4 Mini's and get a cable card I would save in the long run. Am I doing the math wrong?
I'm on FiOS too. In my area i did a calculation comparing the $1000 Pro($600 + $400 Lifetime Service) plus two Minis at $250 each. So $1500 total for the Tivos plus the cable card cost. The break even point was around 33 to 34 months when compared with what FiOS charges in my area. But with the lower costs of the Roamios now, and getting a Plus instead of a Pro and upgrading the drive yourself, the break even point is much lower. And of course after the break even point you still own the TiVo Hardware which could be sold to further reduce the cost.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #13
yokito

I'm with Comcast and replaced a Comcast DVR, a Cable Card and two cable boxes with a Roamio and three Minis. Monthly it's about the same.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #14
shwru980r

Quote:
I would just pay for the lifetime units with a credit card and make the minimum payments before I paid a monthly subscription. Many credit cards have a $30-$40 per month minimum payment anyway.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #15
Dan203
Super Moderator

Compounded interest can add up quickly. I'm not sure that would really be a better deal.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #16
HarperVision

Quote:
Compounded interest can add up quickly. I'm not sure that would really be a better deal.
True, unless you get in on a 36 months same as cash deal like I did.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:39 PM   #17
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post
I would just pay for the lifetime units with a credit card and make the minimum payments before I paid a monthly subscription. Many credit cards have a $30-$40 per month minimum payment anyway.
How about not buying or subscribing to things you can't afford?
Old 11-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #18
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
How about not buying or subscribing to things you can't afford?
What a blasphemous, un-American, communist thing to say!!! Someone call the CIA, the NSA, the FBI, the KGB........
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:20 PM   #19
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
What a blasphemous, un-American, communist thing to say!!! Someone call the CIA, the NSA, the FBI, the KGB........

Old 11-12-2013, 11:09 PM   #20
ehardman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
No need to call the NSA, they already know...
ehardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #21
shwru980r

Quote:
$1825 would take 7 years to pay off at 15% with a $35 monthly payment. You're right, I think you would need a lower interest rate or a higher monthly payment for this to make sense.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote