TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > eBay Auction Central > Buyer/Seller Area
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-26-2013, 04:41 AM   #1
Thinkdiff

2x TiVo HD PROM Modded Lifetime and TiVo 802.11g Adapter

For sale are my personal TiVo HD (Series3) units. The first was PROM modded by myself many years ago, the second was modded last year (also myself). I have the original PROM chips laying around somewhere if you really want them. The units come with stock 11.0m w/ telnet activated (that's it. Anything else is on your own).

First:
Upgraded Hard Drive 1 week after purchase to a Samsung Spinpoint 1TB (F3 series, IIRC).
PROM modded
Product Lifetime Service
New (still wrapped!) remote, batteries, A/V cables, Power cable, and HDMI cable
Includes original retail box, manual, start guide, and original packaging
The box itself (not the TiVo) has some plaster on it from storage, but other than that everything is in great condition.
These seem to be going for around $300 on eBay right now without the PROM mod. I'm asking $340 shipped (open to offers).

Second:
Stock 160GB Hard drive
PROM modded
Product Lifetime Service
Remote in good condition, new set of AV cables, new HDMI cable, new power cable
Includes retail box (outer label does not match the TSN, though), manual, start guide, and original packaging
This is PROM modded, so I'll start at $340 shipped. And once again, open to reasonable offers.
Pending payment

Third:
TiVo 802.11g USB adapter - used, but in great condition.
Comes with just the adapter and USB cable.
$20 shipped. $10 if included with either TiVo above.

Pictures available on request (as well as proof of PROM modding). As for my background - I've been a member on this and other TiVo forums for years and dslreports.com (since 2001). The TiVos have been in service 24/7 until I unplugged them a few months ago. No issues whatsoever.

Last edited by Thinkdiff : 10-29-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Thinkdiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:45 PM   #2
Thinkdiff

Dropped the price on the 1TB, and I'm waiting for payment on the 160GB.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
lynnalexandra

Prom Modded?

What does Prom Modded accomplish? You might think that if I don't know, I don't need it. But I vaguely recall that if one knew how, they could modify the Tivo to eliminate the copyright restrictions, so that anything that was recorded could be transferred to another Tivo or PC.

Thanks.
Lynn.
lynnalexandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

PROM modding allows you to modify the TiVo software. The most common reason for this is to disable copy protection and allow the transfer of anything to a PC. But there are some other hacks you can do as well.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #5
Thinkdiff

Dan203 pretty much has it covered.

For me, the best part was the ability to instantly control my TiVo HD instead of relying on TiVo's sometimes iffy web interface. With the Series4 equipment, recording requests are transmitted instantly through the iOS app, but Series3 requests go into a queue that only gets emptied every X number of hours (fetch instead of push).

With TiVoWebPlus, I could login to my TiVos directly from anywhere and make recordings instantly.

On another one of my TiVo HDs, I was able to hook it up with a cable system that did not support CableCARD and remap the guide information to the correct channels - so even without a CC, I still had full access to season passes, suggestions, guide, etc.

Not to mention it's just fun being able to telnet into your TiVo
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.