TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #1
dowalker

Boardwalk Empire air dat 10/27/13

Is it just me, or are there just too many story lines?
I can't keep up.

dowalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:20 PM   #2
markymark_ctown

i'm a season behind (watching season 3 via netflix) and see the same complaint in those threads.

yes, there is a lot going on in the show...hard for me to keep up with characters. glad to see it doesn't change.
markymark_ctown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
Satchel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowalker View Post
Is it just me, or are there just too many story lines?
I can't keep up.
I thought this episode was pretty scaled back...we only saw the Nucky/Eli/Willie story along with the FBI guys, Sally visiting from Tampa and the Chalky/Dr. Narcisse story.

No Margaret, no Gillian, no Van Alden, no Capone, no Harrow…there are a lot of stories, but this last episode felt like it left out most of them to me...
Satchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:18 PM   #4
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

So I guess William becomes the new Eddie?
Old 10-29-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
frombhto323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
So I guess William becomes the new Eddie?
I think he is meant to become the new Jimmy.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frombhto323 View Post
I think he is meant to become the new Jimmy.
Well, they've been making a pretty big deal about Nuckie not having an Eddie.

Maybe he starts out as an Eddie and works his way up to being a Jimmy?
Old 10-29-2013, 12:22 PM   #7
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

I was actually holding my breath a bit when Dunn was choking Chalkie. Sure would have hated to see his character go out that way. I guess Daughter Maitland made a big choice there. I wouldn't mind her staying around, she sure is easy to look at.

meh
heySkippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #8
cheesesteak
Meh.

Nucky is nuts to not insist that Willie finish college before joining the family business. That's going against his brother's wishes directly.

It sucks to be a junkie on Chalky's side of town.

It looks like the end is closing in on Narcisse. He'll have to skedaddle back to NY before Dr. Nucky kills him. He'll still owe 10% of the club and Daughter Maitland's contract so the Libyan should quit while the Libyan is ahead.

As mad as he is, I have a hard time believing that Eli will cross Nucky again. At least not totally.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:47 PM   #9
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
As mad as he is, I have a hard time believing that Eli will cross Nucky again. At least not totally.
I'm wondering about that FBI agent. He seems to have a screw or two loose, and he seems to be REALLY pissed at Hoover for stealing his thunder. He might decide it's time to stop pretending to be a bad guy and actually become one.

Plus, he's already a murderer...I forget about that little factoid...
Old 10-30-2013, 12:19 AM   #10
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I'm wondering about that FBI agent. He seems to have a screw or two loose, and he seems to be REALLY pissed at Hoover for stealing his thunder. He might decide it's time to stop pretending to be a bad guy and actually become one.

Plus, he's already a murderer...I forget about that little factoid...
Isn't he supposed to be Tolan, J. Edgar's "lifelong companion?"
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:07 AM   #11
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
Isn't he supposed to be Tolan, J. Edgar's "lifelong companion?"
I thought he might be Clyde (that's a name you don't hear any more) Tolson too but why not just call him that? Maybe having Tolson be a murderer would have triggered lawsuits from his heirs.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:11 PM   #12
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
I guess Daughter Maitland made a big choice there.
I'm not sure she made a choice exactly. I think she was flattered and moved by Chalky's appreciation for her singing, and did not really think through the consequences of helping Chalky. I guess if he had not praised her singing so sincerely, she probably would not have helped him.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:38 AM   #13
frombhto323

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
I'm not sure she made a choice exactly. I think she was flattered and moved by Chalky's appreciation for her singing, and did not really think through the consequences of helping Chalky. I guess if he had not praised her singing so sincerely, she probably would not have helped him.
I give her more credit than that. I think she was reluctantly willing to assist Dr. Narcisse in his long con against Chalky, but drew the line at murder once she had developed some affection for him. I think she believes that Chalky is sincere towards her, so she is not prepared to go that far.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:44 AM   #14
cheesesteak
Meh.

Daughter knew something bad was probably going to happen to Chalky. Narcisse told her to keep him there until somebody came there to deal with him. I don't remember the exact words. I think that actually witnessing Chalky being attacked made her switch sides.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:23 AM   #15
Bob Coxner

I'm enjoying this season but the nudity meter is steadily declining.
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #16
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

The plot point is going to be if Eli really turns on Nucky again, or stands up to the feds. I think that even Eli could sacrifice himself rather than betray either Nucky or his son.

How about "How is it that YOU are still alive?" "Doyle" finding out once again where the line with how much Nucky will take is?
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:34 AM   #17
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by frombhto323 View Post
I give her more credit than that. I think she was reluctantly willing to assist Dr. Narcisse in his long con against Chalky, but drew the line at murder once she had developed some affection for him. I think she believes that Chalky is sincere towards her, so she is not prepared to go that far.
That's how I see it. I don't think she was really comfortable with the murder, and I think you could see it in her expression when Narcisse told her to keep him there. I'm glad Chalky didn't bite it. He's one of my favorite characters on the show.

As for Willie, I think Nucky realized that college wasn't for him, and that he probably has some talent and could be useful to Nucky. I'm not quite sure what Eli is thinking though.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:08 AM   #18
DeDondeEs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
I'm enjoying this season but the nudity meter is steadily declining.
I've noticed this too. They seem to be filling the nudity time with expanded musical/dance interludes.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:59 AM   #19
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
As for Willie, I think Nucky realized that college wasn't for him, and that he probably has some talent and could be useful to Nucky. I'm not quite sure what Eli is thinking though.
I can buy Nucky helping Willie below the radar but he can't decide what the kid's future is going to be without consulting Eli. That's a face punch or two waiting to happen.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:08 PM   #20
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I can buy Nucky helping Willie below the radar but he can't decide what the kid's future is going to be without consulting Eli. That's a face punch or two waiting to happen.
While I agree, that's always been the dynamic between those two. Nucky is the boss and Eli does what he wants. That it stepped over the line to Eli's family is not surprising. Not saying it's right, just not surprising.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:16 AM   #21
jradosh
Newlywed

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
I guess Daughter Maitland made a big choice there. I wouldn't mind her staying around, she sure is easy to look at.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
That's how I see it. I don't think she was really comfortable with the murder, and I think you could see it in her expression when Narcisse told her to keep him there.
What expression?

She's got a hot body sure enough, but every time I see Daughter I want to slap her and yell "wake up!!!". Is she on drugs (like a Billie Holliday) or is she really just that lethargic? (except in bed or on stage when she seems to come alive) I'm guessing the actress is trying to portray the emotional deadness that comes from having watched your prostitute mom get killed (by Dr. Narcisis, right?). But all I get is... nothing.

Check out
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote