TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-27-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
mistakite

TiVo/Cablecard at another house

I'm babysitting my nephew at my parents' house which is in the same part of town. They have cable, but no premium stations, so can I being my tivo over to their house for the night so I can watch channels they don't get? If this is a legal matter, then I won't don't it, but am still curious if it is technically possible...
mistakite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
Davelnlr_

The legality would be spelled out in the cable companies Terms of Service online.
As to the technical details, it should work if its the same cable company as yours and you are in the same town.
Davelnlr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I can't see how it would be illegal.

The problem you will have is that unless it is the same cable company, your card won't be paired and you won't receive the premium channels anyway.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:48 PM   #4
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistakite View Post
I'm babysitting my nephew at my parents' house which is in the same part of town. They have cable, but no premium stations, so can I being my tivo over to their house for the night so I can watch channels they don't get? If this is a legal matter, then I won't don't it, but am still curious if it is technically possible...
Its not legal but for a night I don't see any problems, the reason is you could have your parents pay only for basic cable service, then set up a TiVo with a cable card at your home and give it to them so they would get all the stations you are paying for at the cost of one cable card.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:27 PM   #5
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Its not legal but for a night I don't see any problems, the reason is you could have your parents pay only for basic cable service, then set up a TiVo with a cable card at your home and give it to them so they would get all the stations you are paying for at the cost of one cable card.
Goes to show what I know, I didn't think the Cable Card was package specific. Do you know that for a fact?

But even if it is, he is paying for his use - he isn't duplicating the card just temporarily relocating it. Service is paid for and only the authorized nodes are accessing it.

I still say it isn't "illegal" - not theft of service.

Either way - yes - short term shouldn't matter either way. But as I said, the cable card isn't generic - has to be the same company and preferably the same channel line-up.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo

Last edited by bradleys : 10-27-2013 at 09:36 PM.
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:57 PM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistakite View Post
If you're going to be able to watch TV I'm guessing your nephew hasn't learned to walk yet.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:26 AM   #7
JosephB

This is an interesting question. If we were talking about satellite TV, then generally what you propose would be questionable at best, and account stacking at worst. For one night, it's probably not worth worrying about the "legal" implications.

As far as whether or not it will work from a technical perspective..maybe.

Do they have digital cable or a cable modem? If so, and your house is served by the same headend as their house, then it *should*

If they only have analog cable or for any reason there is some kind of filter on the line, then no it won't work.

It may still not work. Modern cable networks are complex beasts, so there may be some kind of weird management in place that prevents it from working properly, but theoretically it should.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:56 PM   #8
unitron

You could always bring over the TiVo and catch up on stuff already recorded on it.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #9
AdamNJ

if by chance you have a roamio, there is out of home streaming that might be an option.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:03 PM   #10
mattack

same part of town, and you DO have premium channels.. I bet it would work. Since you're paying for the premium channels at your house, to me, this would be at worst a "very light gray" matter... (and I'm one who almost always says "yes, this is stealing" to the threads in the Coffee House Forum).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:16 PM   #11
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
same part of town, and you DO have premium channels.. I bet it would work. Since you're paying for the premium channels at your house, to me, this would be at worst a "very light gray" matter... (and I'm one who almost always says "yes, this is stealing" to the threads in the Coffee House Forum).
If one is paying for cable, it is only for his (one) address, bring cable service to another address is not legal period, you think people that run cable to their neighbors home and split the bill is a legal way to cut cable cost?? As I said for one night if the cable system is the same, no problem.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:33 PM   #12
unitron

Quote:
If one is paying for cable, it is only for his (one) address, bring cable service to another address is not legal period, you think people that run cable to their neighbors home and split the bill is a legal way to cut cable cost?? As I said for one night if the cable system is the same, no problem.
The way I see it, morally, not legal fine print-wise, is that he's paying for cable not for a single house, but for a single household, i.e., the person or people usually living in that house.

Of course if cable companies could get away with a "per-eyeball" fee instead of a "per address" fee, I'm sure they'd be charging it, and no discounts for any one-eyed people, either.

On the other side of the moral argument is that the cable company is having to pay for the electricity to push signal to both his and his parents' houses, although if they have a cable sub as well, I'm not sure even that argument holds up.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:19 PM   #13
JosephB

From a strict letter of the law it's probably against your agreement with the cable company. From a copyright/"stealing" standpoint it's functionally not really all that different than using a slingbox.

Since stealing cable by stacking accounts is really, really hard, it doesn't come up nearly as much as it does with satellite, which is super easy to stack up and rip off DirecTV or Dish.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
Old 10-29-2013, 01:00 AM   #14
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
The way I see it, morally, not legal fine print-wise, is that he's paying for cable not for a single house, but for a single household, i.e., the person or people usually living in that house.

Of course if cable companies could get away with a "per-eyeball" fee instead of a "per address" fee, I'm sure they'd be charging it, and no discounts for any one-eyed people, either.

On the other side of the moral argument is that the cable company is having to pay for the electricity to push signal to both his and his parents' houses, although if they have a cable sub as well, I'm not sure even that argument holds up.
I not sure I see the difference between a single house or a single household, to me they are the same, you can have people over to your home to watch anything you get (and pay for) on your cable, but you can't charge them to view a program, once you move the signal out of your home that would be illegal, using a Sling Box to watch a non network station outside your home is illegal, but hard for the cable co.s to find out about that and do anything about the Sling Box. I don't think the Sling Box takes much if any money from the MSO anyways.
I only answering the question the OP asked, is it legal, not if I would do it myself (I would use a Sling Box if I wanted to and had a use for one)

Old 10-29-2013, 07:07 AM   #15
unitron

Quote:
I not sure I see the difference between a single house or a single household, to me they are the same, you can have people over to your home to watch anything you get (and pay for) on your cable, but you can't charge them to view a program, once you move the signal out of your home that would be illegal, using a Sling Box to watch a non network station outside your home is illegal, but hard for the cable co.s to find out about that and do anything about the Sling Box. I don't think the Sling Box takes much if any money from the MSO anyways.
I only answering the question the OP asked, is it legal, not if I would do it myself (I would use a Sling Box if I wanted to and had a use for one)
If everybody moves out, it's still a house, but until someone is living there, it is no longer a household.

And I did indicate I was speaking of moral and not legal.

And actually the OP was asking more along the lines of was it technically possible than whether it was legally permissable.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:18 AM   #16
JosephB

Generally, if no one is watching the programming in two places at once, it's viewed as OK.

For example, DirecTV doesn't require two accounts if you have an RV, or a vacation home, as long as you take one of your receivers with you and it's not permanent and it's not one family watching it at home and another family watching it somewhere else at the same time.

I suspect the cable company would have more of a problem with it from a technical perspective than any content-related aspect.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:06 PM   #17
mattack

Quote:
Well, I was presuming he was bringing his only Tivo to the other house, to get the premium channels at THAT house, instead of at his actual house.. And he is paying for premiums at his own house...
Old 10-31-2013, 06:14 PM   #18
lessd

Quote:
Well, I was presuming he was bringing his only Tivo to the other house, to get the premium channels at THAT house, instead of at his actual house.. And he is paying for premiums at his own house...
That does not make any difference how many TiVos he has or that he is paying for the service at his home. He is bringing his cable service to another address, it is still illegal, but as I said, for one night he not going to have a problem.

Bringing your TiVo to another home to watch what you have already recorded, (in that other home) is OK, just like lending a DVD to a friend or bringing your own DVD to the other home to watch.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:55 AM   #19
Doit2it

Isn't this a moot point? I don't think it would work. Even if the cable card was set up to receive premium channels, he's connecting the Tivo to an account line that doesn't have permission to receive premium channels. So the Tivo will have nothing to receive when tuned to those stations. If it did, I should be able to receive every station Xfinity offers just by inserting a cable card. And of course I don't.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tivo XL4 w/LT :: TiVo HD w/LT & 2TB :: LG 47" & 42" HDTVs
Tivo HD w/LT - Mom :: Series 2 80 - Boxed :: Series 2 40 - Boxed
Doit2it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:30 AM   #20
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doit2it View Post
Isn't this a moot point? I don't think it would work. Even if the cable card was set up to receive premium channels, he's connecting the Tivo to an account line that doesn't have permission to receive premium channels. So the Tivo will have nothing to receive when tuned to those stations. If it did, I should be able to receive every station Xfinity offers just by inserting a cable card. And of course I don't.
It's the card and configuration of that card at the headend that authorizes what channels you receive and that is not done on a "line" or connection basis. This is why you can move within a city (assuming it's served by the same headend) and not have to change your equipment.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #21
Doit2it

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
It's the card and configuration of that card at the headend that authorizes what channels you receive and that is not done on a "line" or connection basis. This is why you can move within a city (assuming it's served by the same headend) and not have to change your equipment.

Scott
But you are talking about when you move. In that case your account moves with you. The OP was asking not about a move, but about using equipment set up on one account to another, lesser account and expecting the equipment to temporarily upgrade that 2nd account. In that case there is no legality issue, because it just wouldn't work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #22
JosephB

Quote:
But you are talking about when you move. In that case your account moves with you. The OP was asking not about a move, but about using equipment set up on one account to another, lesser account and expecting the equipment to temporarily upgrade that 2nd account. In that case there is no legality issue, because it just wouldn't work.
This is not correct. The cable has the same signals on it regardless. If the second house has cable TV at all, it will have the signals on the wire for all the channels, they will simply be encrypted. That's the entire point of the cablecard. The wire coming into individual homes does not carry different signals from house to house, with the exception that if you only have internet, they put a filter on (in most cases) that blocks ALL tv channels.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:20 PM   #23
mattack

Yeah, I was going to be nitpicky, but I won't..

HISTORICAL NOTE:
You didn't always get all channels always. I used to get HBO long ago *without a box*. I paid for HBO of course. It was available on a normal analog channel.

Sometime in the mid-late 90s, HBO went off of that method, so I cancelled HBO (didn't want to deal with a box, either with VCRs or with Tivo after that). It was really only until CableCards that I dealt with encrypted channels at all..

Actually, I had my S3 & TivoHD for QUITE a while and used them ONLY with analog channels.. (I got them when they had the short term lifetime upgrade programs, and at the time, it was a good deal)

The S3 has since died.. so I was down to TivoHD + various analog recorders as 'backups'. Once analog was finally shut off, I went I think literally THE NEXT DAY and bought a Premiere 4, to get more tuners back!
Old 11-04-2013, 09:40 PM   #24
unitron

Quote:

The S3 has since died...
What kind of dead?

The 648's crypto chip can be moved to another 648 motherboard and it'll bring the TiVo Service Number (and therefore the lifetime sub) along with it.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:41 AM   #25
HerronScott

Quote:
As JosephB also indicated, your account is not tied to the physical line going into your house so yes it would work. As I stated before the CableCard is what authorizes what channels you receive (other than those being broadcast clear of course).

Cablebox (and CableCard) authorization is a broadcast technology so it doesn't matter where your device is connected to the system as long as its serviced by the same headend.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #26
JosephB

Quote:
as long as its serviced by the same headend.
This part is important. In my metro area, Charter is the cable company for the suburbs, Bright House for the city itself. In Bright House areas, there's only one headend, all the equipment is the same.

However, in Charter areas, it's been built up by Charter buying out several cable companies over the years. They still have old legacy network design and have multiple headends depending on where you live. So, for example, if you have Cisco/Scientific Atlanta equipment at home A, if home B has Motorola equipment that means they're served by different headends and what we're discussing here will not work. It is possible that even if both had the same kind of equipment (Cisco/Cisco or Moto/Moto) they'd be on different headends, but given the trend to consolidate, if they had similar headends they'd have been merged by now.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:01 PM   #27
Doit2it

Quote:
As JosephB also indicated, your account is not tied to the physical line going into your house so yes it would work. As I stated before the CableCard is what authorizes what channels you receive (other than those being broadcast clear of course).

Cablebox (and CableCard) authorization is a broadcast technology so it doesn't matter where your device is connected to the system as long as its serviced by the same headend.

Scott
Then I stand corrected. I thought the cable card was linked to your account (the line at you address). So when you call Xfinity and setup your cable card by giving them the CCID and Host ID numbers, they are just letting the CC and Host Tivo know what can and can't be decoded?

Old 11-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #28
lessd

Quote:
Then I stand corrected. I thought the cable card was linked to your account (the line at you address). So when you call Xfinity and setup your cable card by giving them the CCID and Host ID numbers, they are just letting the CC and Host Tivo know what can and can't be decoded?
The host ID depends on the model of the host, all say 746 TPs will have the same host ID it is the data that will be different for each cable card put into a 746 TP, that why you can't move the cable card from TiVo to TiVo (in most Comcast systems but not all) and still get say HBO etc.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #29
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
The host ID depends on the model of the host, all say 746 TPs will have the same host ID it is the data that will be different for each cable card put into a 746 TP, that why you can't move the cable card from TiVo to TiVo (in most Comcast systems but not all) and still get say HBO etc.
Are you sure about this? I thought the hostid differs on every machine. Cisco cablecards (Time Warner) don't even use a data id; they just protect with a hostid.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:06 PM   #30
JosephB

Quote:
A cablecard is linked to your account, but the line coming into your house is not.

Think of it this way: Satellite TV works by one (theoretical) satellite in the sky blanketing the entire country with one single signal. The signal contains the same bits whether you have a dish in Florida or if you live in Oregon. The same applies to cable. The cable serving a city generally carries the same signal throughout the entire city. The cable coming into your house carries the same exact bits as the cable going into your neighbor's house. It basically works the same way as a cable in your house. The cable company just has a really strong signal, on a coax cable in the ground or on a pole, and use splitters much like splitters in your house to send the signal to everyone. There's no selective changing of what enters your house on the cable depending on what you subscribe to. (Disclaimer before any RF plant engineers complain: keep in mind it is actually more complicated, this is a conceptual view)

Now as for the cablecard, the entire reason you need a cablecard is because every channel is on the cable coming into your house. When you call and have your hostid and cablecard id paired, the cable company is confirming that your TiVo is a TiVo and not a computer used for piracy. The cablecard then decrypts whatever channels you have paid for. If only the channels you pay for were on the cable coming into your house, there'd be no need for cablecard nonsense.

Quote:
Every cablecard device has a unique host id. No two TiVos have the same host id. Data fields are unique to Motorola systems. Cisco/Scientific Atlanta systems do not have data fields and only need the host id and cablecard id to pair.

The ability to move cablecards from TiVo to TiVo and not have to re-pair in some systems is due to the way the systems are setup for copy protection. I believe this applied to FiOS for a long time.