TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-20-2013, 11:18 AM   #1
tvmaster2

Republic of Doyle

anyone seen this show added to a local network in their area? It's kinda like 'Castle', except shot in and around St. Johns, Newfoundland. Colorful visuals, great cast and the wonderful Newfoundland/Labrador accents.
Russel Crowe (and several character actors you may recognize) have done guest shots. A local station, KCODT Orange County, Ca. just picked it up.
Anywhere else in the U.S.?
It's pretty fun...useless, but fun.
tvmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
phox_mulder
I get paid 2watch TV

We are airing it in Utah on our secondary channel, KMYU 2.2.

Not in the best time slot though, middle of the night on Saturday IIRC.

Little I've seen of it, it looks pretty good, Canada has a pretty good track record when it comes to producing good TV.

It started in 2010 in Canada and is currently in the middle of season 5.
Syndication started with ep#1 and I think is now around ep#4 or 5.

phox

TiVo S3-65 HD Hours-Lifetime
TiVo HD 20 HD Hours
DirecTV HR21-700 80+ HD Hours
DirecTV HR20-100 80+ HD Hours
Harmony 880 Remote Control
phox_mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #3
tvmaster2

It looks great in HD, not as good in SD. But yeah, the thing I like about Canadian produced shows is that they tend to actually shoot them in the city they are located in - Toronto, Vancouver, the Prairies, Calgary and this one, in super-cool but tiny St. Johns.
Flashpoint and Rookie Blue are totally Toronto, and if you know the city, they don't try and hide it, although they don't say it either - weird.
Reelz Channel has also picked up a good psych-police drama called 'Cracked'
have a look at that as well.
And...they tend to swear on Canadian OTA TV as well - so that's fun
Old 10-21-2013, 08:23 AM   #4
Bob Coxner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
It looks great in HD, not as good in SD. But yeah, the thing I like about Canadian produced shows is that they tend to actually shoot them in the city they are located in - Toronto, Vancouver, the Prairies, Calgary and this one, in super-cool but tiny St. Johns.
Flashpoint and Rookie Blue are totally Toronto, and if you know the city, they don't try and hide it, although they don't say it either - weird.
Reelz Channel has also picked up a good psych-police drama called 'Cracked'
have a look at that as well.
And...they tend to swear on Canadian OTA TV as well - so that's fun
If you want Canadian swearing go with Trailer Park Boys. Most F-bombs per minute ever and most inventive swearing you'll ever hear. Was also shot in the area where it's set - Nova Scotia. Not to mention that it's one of the funniest tv shows ever.

I just checked and my local CBS station is now carrying Doyle. However, it doesn't look like they think much of it. It's on at 2:35am on Sunday mornings.
DirecTV since 1999

Last edited by Bob Coxner : 10-21-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
tvmaster2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
If you want Canadian swearing go with Trailer Park Boys. Most F-bombs per minute ever and most inventive swearing you'll ever hear. Was also shot in the area where it's set - Nova Scotia. Not to mention that it's one of the funniest tv shows ever.

I just checked and my local CBS station is now carrying Doyle. However, it doesn't look like they think much of it. It's on at 2:35am on Sunday mornings.
Loved Trailer Park Boys - F$%#ing funniest show in a long time. The Christmas Special is folklore.
Tivo some Doyle episodes and tell us what you think
Old 10-21-2013, 12:25 PM   #6
StacieH
betativowho??

We are watching Season 3 now on DVD and will probably get Season 4 for Christmas. Season 5 started airing in Canada while we were in Newfoundland a couple of weeks ago. My husband is from Newfoundland, by the way.

It's a fun show. Reminds me of some of the campy 80s detective shows. Some episodes are really good, some not so much. But we still watch it to see St. John's.

Our NBC affiliate is airing it here at 1 a.m. I recorded the first episode, just to see how it looked. But since we have all of them on DVD, I haven't bothered since.
StacieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
StacieH
betativowho??

Two years ago when I was in St. John's, my sister in law took me to the house that they use for the exterior shots of the Doyle home. The GTO was parked outside and there were some crew members around. One of them took a picture of us with the car.

I've also been in the Duke of Duckworth (years ago, before the creation of the show). They rebuilt the interior of the pub in a warehouse after the first season. Other locations mentioned in various episodes are real (Halliday's Meat Market, Ziggy Peelgood's chip trucks, etc.).

And lastly (and I posted about it when we were there), we saw Allan Doyle of Great Big Sea at a restaurant while we were there a couple of weeks ago. Allan has been in several episodes, and GBS sings the theme song.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:07 PM   #8
tvmaster2

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacieH View Post
Two years ago when I was in St. John's, my sister in law took me to the house that they use for the exterior shots of the Doyle home. The GTO was parked outside and there were some crew members around. One of them took a picture of us with the car.

I've also been in the Duke of Duckworth (years ago, before the creation of the show). They rebuilt the interior of the pub in a warehouse after the first season. Other locations mentioned in various episodes are real (Halliday's Meat Market, Ziggy Peelgood's chip trucks, etc.).

And lastly (and I posted about it when we were there), we saw Allan Doyle of Great Big Sea at a restaurant while we were there a couple of weeks ago. Allan has been in several episodes, and GBS sings the theme song.
cool - post that picture if you don't mind your likeness - or blur your face
The reason Russel Crowe was on S04E01 is that Allan Doyle and him are mates - I believe Doyle produced Crowe's album. Crowe got him a part in 'Robin Hood' if I recollect..

It's great that CBC shoots real, street shots, as opposed to how Hollywood does it, on a soundstage in Ca. made to look like Cleveland...lol
Glad this show is getting some traction finally

Last edited by tvmaster2 : 10-21-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:40 AM   #9
unitron

Quote:
anyone seen this show added to a local network in their area? It's kinda like 'Castle', except shot in and around St. Johns, Newfoundland. Colorful visuals, great cast and the wonderful Newfoundland/Labrador accents.
Russel Crowe (and several character actors you may recognize) have done guest shots. A local station, KCODT Orange County, Ca. just picked it up.
Anywhere else in the U.S.?
It's pretty fun...useless, but fun.
Greenville, NC's WNCT is running it about 1 or 2 in the morning late Sat, early Sun, but I didn't spot it until the second episode.

I've recorded it every week since but haven't watched yet.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:31 PM   #10
tvmaster2

it's good to see it is available in so many different markets, albeit some crap time slots. thank goodness for dvr's and word of mouth.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:05 AM   #11
Bob Coxner

I watched my first episode and really enjoyed it. It has a Psych vibe to me. Both have a wisecracking lead, both have a wise father who is a retired cop and both leads have the hots for a detective. Plus they're both filmed in Canada. :-)

By setting my VPN to connect to Toronto and using the CBC Player http://www.cbc.ca/player/ it looks like I should be able to watch all of the old episodes online.
DirecTV since 1999
Old 10-28-2013, 12:46 PM   #12
tvmaster2

Quote:
I watched my first episode and really enjoyed it. It has a Psych vibe to me. Both have a wisecracking lead, both have a wise father who is a retired cop and both leads have the hots for a detective. Plus they're both filmed in Canada. :-)

By setting my VPN to connect to Toronto and using the CBC Player http://www.cbc.ca/player/ it looks like I should be able to watch all of the old episodes online.
different is good! I need a good VPN service as well...which one do you use? Some say they have servers in the target countries, but when you investigate down a few layers that's not always the case.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:06 PM   #13
Bob Coxner

Quote:
different is good! I need a good VPN service as well...which one do you use? Some say they have servers in the target countries, but when you investigate down a few layers that's not always the case.
I've been using Witopia for a couple of years and have had very good experiences. They're also very reasonable in price. www.witopia.net They have a 30-day money back guarantee.

They have 57 servers in 35 countries. I can't say I've tested every country but the ones I have accessed have worked fine. I normally use it mostly for the BBC iPlayer, via their servers in the UK.

I wasn't even aware there was a CBC Player until I started searching for sources for Republic of Doyle. It seems to have all the current CBC programs (and their previous episodes) available. Unfortunately, I can't find Corner Gas on it but I guess that's because it was a CTV show. I would love to find that one.
DirecTV since 1999
Old 10-28-2013, 09:20 PM   #14
tvmaster2

Quote:
I've been using Witopia for a couple of years and have had very good experiences. They're also very reasonable in price. www.witopia.net They have a 30-day money back guarantee.

They have 57 servers in 35 countries. I can't say I've tested every country but the ones I have accessed have worked fine. I normally use it mostly for the BBC iPlayer, via their servers in the UK.

I wasn't even aware there was a CBC Player until I started searching for sources for Republic of Doyle. It seems to have all the current CBC programs (and their previous episodes) available. Unfortunately, I can't find Corner Gas on it but I guess that's because it was a CTV show. I would love to find that one.
thanks...I'll check that out. 'Cracked' and 'Arctic Air' are two other CBC shows that are pretty good. 'Corner Gas' you can find cheap on Amazon on DVD sometimes - funny show. Global also has a player, but it's really restrictive and may use some form of GPS sensing to keep non-Canadian eyeballs out. I'd be interested if Witopia could get through their security
Old 10-29-2013, 07:56 AM   #15
Bob Coxner

Quote:
thanks...I'll check that out. 'Cracked' and 'Arctic Air' are two other CBC shows that are pretty good. 'Corner Gas' you can find cheap on Amazon on DVD sometimes - funny show. Global also has a player, but it's really restrictive and may use some form of GPS sensing to keep non-Canadian eyeballs out. I'd be interested if Witopia could get through their security
I just checked Global. You have to be a subscriber to a Canadian tv service to use it. It's like HBOGo. So, a VPN won't be of any help unless you're a Canuck who subscribes to a Canadian cable/satellite service and who is currently outside of Canada.
DirecTV since 1999
Old 10-29-2013, 09:20 AM   #16
AeneaGames

Quote:
And add Murdoch Mysteries to that list!

I get my Canadian shows using magical means though, works a treat.
AeneaGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:51 PM   #17
tvmaster2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeneaGames View Post
And add Murdoch Mysteries to that list!

I get my Canadian shows using magical means though, works a treat.
with all the crap on the 500 channels we get, it's amazing there's so little of this good, Canadian programming made available to Americans.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:14 PM   #18
StacieH
betativowho??

Here's a fun interview with Alan Hawco. No spoiler alerts....

RMR: Rick and Republic of Doyle
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

Old 11-07-2013, 10:22 PM   #19
tvmaster2

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacieH View Post
Here's a fun interview with Alan Hawco. No spoiler alerts....

RMR: Rick and Republic of Doyle
You need to upgrade your Flash Player
hehe...love Mercer, especially 'The Rant'