TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 65 votes, 4.92 average.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:13 PM   #1261
scoombs

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
I've thought about that. Could you disconnect the internal eSATA connector and connect the cable going to the external eSATA port to that motherboard connector? That should make the external connector the one and only drive. It could then be attached to a Synology RAID enclosure (or Seagate or whatever) which should work as you describe. Is anybody up for an adventure?
I ran my Tivo HD for years like that. I had an eSATA RAID enclosure attached to the internal drive connector of the Tivo, and just ran a "single disk" Tivo that happened to be running on RAID.

I simply did it for protection against a drive failure and losing my recordings, though that is not how it started. I was originally testing when Spike was working with "large" volumes and breaking the 1TB barrier.

The enclosure had five 1TB drives in it as RAID 5, though I was ultimately not able to use anywhere near that. To get it to work, I ended up having to carve a volume of 1.26TB out of the RAID. Anything larger than that would not work.

That was as large as it got until solutions like JMFS came along, and ultimately the series 3 "k" software version that allowed up to 2TB.
scoombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:42 PM   #1262
cosmicvoid
Tivo noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslunceford View Post
Question...would the Roamio recognize a drive lager than 1TB if dropped into a MyDVR Expander enclosure?
I asked Tivo support about external drives, and this is the answer I received:

The following model numbers are the only expanders compatible with the TiVo boxes:

WDC WD5000AVJS-63TRA0
WDC WD5000AVVS-63ZWB0
WDC WD5000AVVS-63H0B1
WDC WD10EVVS-63E1B1
WDC WD10EVVS-63M5B0
WDC WD10EVVS-73M5B0
WDC WD10EVDS-73U8B1
WDC WD10EURX-73FH1Y0

So, except for the Weaknees add-on drive, the answer is NO, 1TB limit.
cosmicvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:56 AM   #1263
dslunceford

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicvoid View Post
I asked Tivo support about external drives, and this is the answer I received:

The following model numbers are the only expanders compatible with the TiVo boxes:

WDC WD5000AVJS-63TRA0
WDC WD5000AVVS-63ZWB0
WDC WD5000AVVS-63H0B1
WDC WD10EVVS-63E1B1
WDC WD10EVVS-63M5B0
WDC WD10EVVS-73M5B0
WDC WD10EVDS-73U8B1
WDC WD10EURX-73FH1Y0

So, except for the Weaknees add-on drive, the answer is NO, 1TB limit.
Well, yeah. TiVo support isn't going to steer you toward anything but their pre-approved devices. I'm asking if more than 1TB can be added to external in some way other than the official expanders...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

dslunceford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:59 AM   #1264
atmuscarella

Quote:
Well, yeah. TiVo support isn't going to steer you toward anything but their pre-approved devices. I'm asking if more than 1TB can be added to external in some way other than the official expanders...
The answer to your question is yes. The bad news is that there isn't any DIY instructions you have to buy paired drives from weakness.com
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:38 AM   #1265
dslunceford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
It's all a guess anyway. The number of hours is based on an estimated bitrate. They don't actually know the bitrates of what you'll be recording so it could shift +/- 100 hours if they're off by just 5Mbps.
Would this account for difference of what the Roamio reports vs what the iOS app reports? Roamio/Mini show 26% space used, the app shows 35% full. I was thinking maybe the app shows space taken by suggestions?

dslunceford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:45 AM   #1266
NYHeel

Quote:
Would this account for difference of what the Roamio reports vs what the iOS app reports? Roamio/Mini show 26% space used, the app shows 35% full. I was thinking maybe the app shows space taken by suggestions?
Nope it's not suggestions as I don't have suggestions and still have the app showing 100% when the Tivo shows 86%. The weird thing is that it appears to be consistently about 33% off as when I had 60% the app showed 80% and your case is also about one third off. I don't think it's recently deleted either. Just some kind of Roamio bug with the app. It's still not working either even with today's app update.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:21 PM   #1267
gfgray

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjuice View Post
I purchased a WD30EURS off ebay but ended up with a WD30EURX, the plus uses the X as well the only odd thing i noticed was the drive didnt say GP-AV just GP but so far it's been ok. Dont know if anyone has used the same drive
Its the 6Gb/s interface version of the WD30EURS. Same AV-GP series. I noticed Newegg charges the same amount for the WD30EURS and WD30EURX. May as well get the X.
gfgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #1268
jaydro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo View Post
I dunno - they were condescending and rude in an email to me - and I'm far from the only one. Ironically I ran across their entry in Yelp! tonight while looking for something else and was amused by the even number of five star reviews raving about them, and then the totally opposite one star reviews with the one star reviews mirroring my experience with the forum golden boys. I didn't even know that Yelp! had reviews for non-food places. Who knew that being jerks to at least some of your customers might surface on that new-fangled Internet thing
Hear, hear! My experience was they were great until they made a mistake, at which point they turned rude to the point that I felt they were frothing at the mouth in e-mails to me. A real surprise and disappointment.
jaydro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:14 PM   #1269
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydro View Post
Hear, hear! My experience was they were great until they made a mistake, at which point they turned rude to the point that I felt they were frothing at the mouth in e-mails to me. A real surprise and disappointment.
I was trying to follow what you were even referring to... and after searching discovered you were responding to a week old post (about Weaknees) which in itself was in response to a post from back in early September.

#trytokeepitcurrentguys
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #1270
jaydro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
I was trying to follow what you were even referring to... and after searching discovered you were responding to a week old post (about Weaknees) which in itself was in response to a post from back in early September.

#trytokeepitcurrentguys
Sorry--I did a full quote (which I normally think is excessive) and then didn't realize that still wasn't enough context.

I normally try to keep my wrath against Weakness in check.

Sorry to bother the thread police.
jaydro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:33 PM   #1271
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydro View Post
Sorry to bother the thread police.
Wasn't that a Cheap Trick song?
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:12 PM   #1272
RusRus

Quote:
Originally Posted by amseven11 View Post
Upgrade your Roamio with a new drive. No discs needed.

What you need:
T8 Screw driver
T10 Screw Driver
New Hard Drive

I just bought a Roamio Basic. Am I to understand that if I want to upgrade the 500GB HDD all I have to do is take the 1TB HDD out of my old HD DVR and install it in my Roamio?

In order to save all the recordings do I need to us winmfs and clone the 500 to the 1TB? Or are they stored elsewhere?

To save everything on my computer SDD to a backup HDD I use Ease ToDo. Do I need to transfer from the 500GB to the 1TB?
RusRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:35 PM   #1273
steve614
what ru lookin at?

If you want to save the recordings (I'm assuming they are on the old HD DVR?), they have to be transferred to a computer first, as the Roamio will automatically reformat the hard drive to use the new setup.

And if you want those saved recordings back on the Roamio, they will have to be converted to a conventional .mpeg file before transferring.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 10-29-2013 at 08:35 AM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:58 PM   #1274
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
If you want to save the recordings, they have to be transferred to a computer first, as the Roamio will automatically reformat the hard drive to use the new setup.
True, although hopefully that situation will rectified at some point.

Quote:
And if you want those saved recordings back on the Roamio, they will have to be converted to a conventional .mpeg file before transferring.
Not true.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:16 AM   #1275
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I was confused. I was thinking recordings are tied to a specific Tivo, but they are tied to the MAK. Duh.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 10-29-2013 at 08:35 AM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:07 PM   #1276
keenanSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Technically, a 3.5" full-height drive is twice the height of what we now commonly call "full-height", which makes the thinner ones technically "quarter-height".

I do know that as of 2 years ago, WD's 2.5" 1TB (WITH Advanced Format) drives were full-height, and wouldn't even fit in a laptop (or any I'm aware of). They just recently got those down to half-height. Not sure if they've pulled that of with 2TB, yet...
Regarding the drive size, has anyone noted any issues(heat?) with replacing the 1/4 height with a 1/2 height as shown in the image here? I don't recall seeing it mentioned in this thread but wondered if it's been noted elsewhere.

Thanks all.
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:16 PM   #1277
RusRus

Quote:
If you want to save the recordings (I'm assuming they are on the old HD DVR?), they have to be transferred to a computer first, as the Roamio will automatically reformat the hard drive to use the new setup.

I have all the shows on my pc via Tivo DeskTop. I have a 1TB HDD I can take from my old HD DVR to use in my Roamio. Do I just swap HDDs and run setup again?

Is the Roamio HDD just for recordings now?
Old 10-29-2013, 11:54 PM   #1278
Devx

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusRus View Post
I have all the shows on my pc via Tivo DeskTop. I have a 1TB HDD I can take from my old HD DVR to use in my Roamio. Do I just swap HDDs and run setup again?

Is the Roamio HDD just for recordings now?
When you install the 1TB HDD in the Roamio it will format/erase the HDD and run guided setup again on startup as though it was brand new.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:01 AM   #1279
RusRus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devx View Post
When you install the 1TB HDD in the Roamio it will format/erase the HDD and run guided setup again on startup as though it was brand new.
What will happen to the shows I've got recorded in "My Shows"?
Old 10-30-2013, 04:00 AM   #1280
cosmicvoid
Tivo noob

Quote:
Quote:
Roamio it will format/erase the HDD
Poof! Gone.
cosmicvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:05 AM   #1281
unitron

Quote:
If you mean what will happen to any shows on the hard drive you stick in the Roamio, they, and everything else on that harddrive, will be overwritten.

If you mean the shows on the PC in the My TiVo Recordings folder which was created when TiVo Desktop was installed, they'll be just fine, sitting there waiting for you to copy them to a TiVo on your network.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #1282
uw69

Is Weaknees still the only option above 3TB for an internal HD?
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
3 TiVo Mini's
uw69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:50 PM   #1283
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by uw69 View Post
Is Weaknees still the only option above 3TB for an internal HD?
Yes.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:06 AM   #1284
IowaGuy

What tools do you need to replace a drive on a Roamio basic?

Just a T8 and T10?

Thanks,
Noobie Matt
IowaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:22 PM   #1285
dynamiteid

For the Basic, you will also need a small flat blade screwdriver. The case on the basic is different. After you remove the screws on the back, you have to gently release a couple of snaps on both sides of the case and rotate the cover up and forward. Just be gentle and do it slowly so you don't break the snaps.

Other than that, the proceedure is the same.
dynamiteid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:46 PM   #1286
keenanSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamiteid View Post
For the Basic, you will also need a small flat blade screwdriver. The case on the basic is different. After you remove the screws on the back, you have to gently release a couple of snaps on both sides of the case and rotate the cover up and forward. Just be gentle and do it slowly so you don't break the snaps.

When I did my Basic it seemed to help removing the top if you gently squeezed the top by bowing the sides in slightly and it releases the the slotted mounts from the stays on the base.
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:28 PM   #1287
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamiteid View Post

A prying tool such as ones made for iPhones or iPads should work and not leave a mark.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:15 AM   #1288
swerver

I've used the green coffee stirrers from starbucks to pry apart hard drive enclosures without any damage. Grab a few of them, they are free. Get one under a tab and leave it, then stick another one under another tab, continue until it pops open.
swerver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:01 PM   #1289
kduffey

Thumbs down New Roamio Plus, new WD30EURS; sits at welcome screen

pulled Roamio out of box, opened and removed 1Gb
Pulled WD out of box, hooked to Roamio

Plugged in - everyhting new, never started before
"Welcome - starting up"
never changed in 12 hours (I thought maybe it was formatting the 3Tb drive so I went to bed)

Put the 1Tb back in and it started up fine.

Lowlevel formatted the 3Tb to see if it needed to be cleared
No difference

Any ideas?
kduffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #1290
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by kduffey View Post
pulled Roamio out of box, opened and removed 1Gb
Pulled WD out of box, hooked to Roamio

Plugged in - everyhting new, never started before
"Welcome - starting up"
never changed in 12 hours (I thought maybe it was formatting the 3Tb drive so I went to bed)

Put the 1Tb back in and it started up fine.

Lowlevel formatted the 3Tb to see if it needed to be cleared
No difference

Any ideas?
Ummmmmm,.......exchange that plus for a pro?
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote