Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-16-2013, 09:38 AM   #31
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisadm View Post
That IR blaster IS NOT, I repeat, IS NOT for the Mini.

It is for the older TiVos which had to control set top cable boxes.

Again...
That IR blaster IS NOT for the Mini.
I don't believe anyone said it was.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:03 AM   #32
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
I don't believe anyone said it was.
Your are right, BUT, I wanted to make sure someone does not misunderstand this and orders one with the intension of using it on the Mini. There have been questions of an IR port on the Mini (there is not). Before it came out, it was reported that there would be one.
Davisadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:58 PM   #33
k2ue
Retired RF Engineer

Wrong -- got this cable today -- the ground is not on the sleeve -- NFG for the Mini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Based on the bad reviews for this one...

http://www.amazon.com/Amzer-3-5mm-RC.../dp/B003YFJ80Q

from people trying to use it with iOS devices it sounds like it has this configuration....

Sleeve = ground
1st ring = video
2nd ring = right
Tip = left

So it should at least be usable with a TiVo Mini if you swap the cables around.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #34
teklock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisadm View Post
Your are right, BUT, I wanted to make sure someone does not misunderstand this and orders one with the intension of using it on the Mini. There have been questions of an IR port on the Mini (there is not). Before it came out, it was reported that there would be one.
There will be one, but it plugs into the USB port.
teklock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:47 PM   #35
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2ue View Post
Wrong -- got this cable today -- the ground is not on the sleeve -- NFG for the Mini.
Sorry. Without a actual wire layout it was just a guess based on the reviews and their reference to it not working with iOS devices.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:35 AM   #36
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

I find it a bit unsettling that these are not included with the Mini. Yes, most people will use HDMI. But still, it should have came with the breakout cable AT LEAST.
TiVo HDXL TCD658000
TiVo HD TCD652160 + WD 500GB Expander
Retired: Philips Series 1 HDR212 & TiVo Series 2 540080
NotNowChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:16 AM   #37
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNowChief View Post
I find it a bit unsettling that these are not included with the Mini. Yes, most people will use HDMI. But still, it should have came with the breakout cable AT LEAST.
I understand them not including it. Otherwise they would have needed to raise the price to get the profit margin they want. Although personally I wish they had a version of the TiVo Mini with no HDMI cable, no remote and no batteries. And charged a little less for it. Since I will not use any of those.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:42 PM   #38
najenagold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckought View Post
According to this site:

http://pinoutsguide.com/Home/wd_tv_t...e_pinout.shtml

The pinout for the WD TV cable is the same as the TiVo Mini cable.

I found the WD TV cable on eBay for $4.99:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Digi...-/370675838597
This one worked for me. Just received it and it's all good.
najenagold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:30 PM   #39
e30mpwrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by najenagold View Post
This one worked for me. Just received it and it's all good.
For splitting to composite or component? I bought a similar cable from radio shack (silly expensive anyway) and it works fine for composite, but not for component.
e30mpwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #40
graphex

Can anyone verify that this is correct for the composite pinout? I've got a small tv with a different order for its 1/8" TRRS AV connector, so now i have to bust out the soldering iron...
Code:
-------+
       +-----+ +-----+ +-----+ +--------+
        GND     RED     WHT     Yellow   >
-------+

Last edited by graphex : 06-05-2013 at 11:15 AM. Reason: fixing ascii art
graphex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #41
sathead

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphex View Post
Can anyone verify that this is correct for the composite pinout? I've got a small tv with a different order for its 1/8" TRRS AV connector, so now i have to bust out the soldering iron...
Code:
-------+
        GND     RED     WHT     Yellow   >
-------+
I know I'm replying to an old post- but I needed this info yesterday to connect my new Roamio (base model) to a small TV by our treadmill that only has composite video and figured I'd confirm this info.

Anyway, the diagram above is accurate for making your own A/V Breakout cable for the Roamio (base model).
I used an old Slingbox A/V cable I had laying around- I cut the leads in the middle of the cable and rewired according to the above diagram. As soon as I connected it to the Roamio I got video and stereo audio on the small TV (while the HDMI to the main TV remained active).
sathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:20 AM   #42
bayern_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathead View Post
I know I'm replying to an old post- but I needed this info yesterday to connect my new Roamio (base model) to a small TV by our treadmill that only has composite video and figured I'd confirm this info.

Anyway, the diagram above is accurate for making your own A/V Breakout cable for the Roamio (base model).
I used an old Slingbox A/V cable I had laying around- I cut the leads in the middle of the cable and rewired according to the above diagram. As soon as I connected it to the Roamio I got video and stereo audio on the small TV (while the HDMI to the main TV remained active).
Is there a way to use this or a similar cable to get component out on a Roamio base model? I am thinking about getting a slingbox 350 and it would definitely help
bayern_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:32 AM   #43
SugarBowl
Roamio Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayern_fan View Post
Is there a way to use this or a similar cable to get component out on a Roamio base model? I am thinking about getting a slingbox 350 and it would definitely help
Roamio base does not have a way to get component out. Only composite.

You can get a mini though, and connect it to the Roamio base, and get component out of the mini.
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #44
bayern_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBowl View Post
Roamio base does not have a way to get component out. Only composite.

You can get a mini though, and connect it to the Roamio base, and get component out of the mini.
That's a good idea. I'm deciding between this option ($86 on amazon + $150 lifetime) or just reselling my base Roamio to pick up a Roamio Plus.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #45
HarperVision

Quote:

That's a good idea. I'm deciding between this option ($86 on amazon + $150 lifetime) or just reselling my base Roamio to pick up a Roamio Plus.
You'd be better served getting the mini because then you could watch separate programs on each device, especially while streaming with the Slingbox. I also did hear if you get the Slingbox 500 and use certain active hdmi splitters that will do the hdcp handshake, then you can use one leg of that to connect using hdmi without copy protection worries.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:25 PM   #46
bayern_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
You'd be better served getting the mini because then you could watch separate programs on each device, especially while streaming with the Slingbox. I also did hear if you get the Slingbox 500 and use certain active hdmi splitters that will do the hdcp handshake, then you can use one leg of that to connect using hdmi without copy protection worries.
Thanks. With a base roamio (MOCA-less), I'd have to figure out how to get the Mini and a Slingbox 350 connected to my network from an adjacent room...
Old 10-28-2013, 06:31 PM   #47
HarperVision

I'd use Ethernet or moca to do that. What choice of connections do you have in that room? (Ethernet, coaxial, etc.)
Old 10-29-2013, 09:02 AM   #48
bayern_fan

Quote:
I'd use Ethernet or moca to do that. What choice of connections do you have in that room? (Ethernet, coaxial, etc.)
Coax is probably the closest, but I would need to find a way to get the Slingbox 350 hooked up via ethernet as well (unless I get some kind of hub to share the bedroom's Moca between a Mini and the Slingbox).

I'm considering getting a Roamio Plus to save myself the hassle of buying extra MoCa adapters and the like. Hopefully a holiday deal on the Mini will arrive ($200 or less with lifetime) so I can eventually pick one up.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #49
HarperVision

Quote:

Coax is probably the closest, but I would need to find a way to get the Slingbox 350 hooked up via ethernet as well (unless I get some kind of hub to share the bedroom's Moca between a Mini and the Slingbox).

I'm considering getting a Roamio Plus to save myself the hassle of buying extra MoCa adapters and the like. Hopefully a holiday deal on the Mini will arrive ($200 or less with lifetime) so I can eventually pick one up.
It sounds like moca is your best bet then. Yes you'd need an Ethernet switch in the room connected to the Moca's Ethernet jack to share the Internet connection between both devices. Even if you got the plus/pro with built in moca, you would still need a moca adapter in the bedroom because the mini won't act as a moca bridge that you can connect the Slingbox to. If you went straight moca to the mini then there'd be no connection available for the slingbox.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:59 PM   #50
bayern_fan

Quote:
It sounds like moca is your best bet then. Yes you'd need an Ethernet switch in the room connected to the Moca's Ethernet jack to share the Internet connection between both devices. Even if you got the plus/pro with built in moca, you would still need a moca adapter in the bedroom because the mini won't act as a moca bridge that you can connect the Slingbox to. If you went straight moca to the mini then there'd be no connection available for the slingbox.
Thanks for the feedback. Would it be possible to daisy-chain the mini's ethernet port to the Slingbox?

On a side note, if I do in fact keep the base model what do you guys think I should buy with regards to MoCA and the like? (bridge, adapter, POE filter etc)
Old 10-29-2013, 01:07 PM   #51
HarperVision

Quote:

Thanks for the feedback. Would it be possible to daisy-chain the mini's ethernet port to the Slingbox?

On a side note, if I do in fact keep the base model what do you guys think I should buy with regards to MoCA and the like? (bridge, adapter, POE filter etc)
No you can't "daisy-chain" the sling from the mini. That's what I was saying about the mini not being a moca bridge. It would be awesome if it were. I still prefer the plus/pro if you can swing it. It still would save you from buying an extra moca adapter, stream, larger hard drive and many other extra goodies. Poe filter is probably a good idea as well.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #52
todd_j_derr

TC CLUB MEMBER
FYI, back on the original topic, in a pinch you can use a stereo audio cable (stereo 1/8" -> 2 RCA) for composite and mono audio (actually I haven't checked to see if I'm really getting mono out or just the left channel but it doesn't matter that much)

I had a bunch of 1/8 -> 3 RCA cables but after checking with my meter they all had the ground in the wrong place so I would have had to cut them up and rewire them. Then I found this stereo cable, which was fine except the "ground" and "red" parts are effectively shorted together since that ring is longer. I wasn't sure if that would be a problem but it seems to work fine. The white RCA plug is video and red is audio.

I'm probably going to buy a new TV sometime (it's my last CRT!) so I didn't want to shell out for the real cable.
todd_j_derr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:23 AM   #53
taynt3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckought View Post

I found the WD TV cable on eBay for $4.99:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Digi...-/370675838597
I bought this one from this seller about two months ago and it works perfectly.
taynt3d is offline   Reply With Quote