TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #1
rperry337

Considering Tivo Purchase

We are considering dumping the cable DVR and going to Tivo with a mini for the bedroom.

We have a couple of questions for you Tivo owners.

We are looking at either a Roamio Plus or Pro.

My question is on the tivo service. Do you recommend buying the lifetime service or the monthly? If you do purchase one year of service and then later decide to switch to lifetime do you get any kind of credit or discount? Also I believe the mini requires a service contract? Same question on that?

This will be our 1st experience with tivo so any thoughts or suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks
rperry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #2
scole250

The benefit of a lifetime sub is:
1. It pays for itself in 34 months, less than 3 years.
2. If you decide to sell it, usually to upgrade to a newer model, you lose less money.

Right now I have 3 Premieres with about $380 invested in each with hardware and monthly sub. I'd like to sell them and buy new Romios. On Ebay, they're worth about $50. If they had a lifetime sub, I could get $300 for them. If I sell them now I lose $330 each. If they had lifetime, I'd only lose $80.

Last edited by scole250 : 10-26-2013 at 09:21 PM.
scole250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:12 PM   #3
BigJimOutlaw

The math works for Lifetime in the long run. I always hesitate a little at first with any big upfront purchase like that, but it turns out ok. And aside from the long term value proposition, the experience using the box is likely to be considerably better.

The math works even better if you consider the resell value of a lifetime'd Tivo down the road, which holds pretty well. I just sold a 3.5-year-old Lifetime'd Tivo for $375 (originally $540) so my out of pocket expense for those 3.5 years is pretty small. The Roamios are more expensive so the out-of-pocket would be higher if I sell it one day, but you get the idea.

Ditto for the Lifetime service on the Mini. It works out eventually. If you're "lucky" enough to have a cableco that charges an "additional outlet fee" for the second TV, the Mini would cut that fee from the cable bill too.

I don't believe there's a Lifetime discount after a duration of monthly usage.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
scole250

I hesitated and I'm sorry now.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:13 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by scole250 View Post
I hesitated and I'm sorry now.
Ditto.

If I'd known then what I know now...
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:05 PM   #6
MrDell

Lifetime

Just to give my two cents......... I went with lifetime and when I purchased my Tivo I also bought a three year warranty from TiVo which is quite cheap in my opinion. Bottom line is if anything goes wrong within the three year payback period window, your investment will be protected. I think it is a win/win situation!
MrDell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:57 PM   #7
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Keep in mind that TiVo's extended warranty is a one and done deal.
Once it's used, no more warranty. Doesn't matter if it's after 4 months or two years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:18 AM   #8
replaytv
elects "cold sleep"

You could always go with a used Tivo Premiere with lifetime and see how you like it. Then if you like it upgrade to something better and sell your first ones on this forum, eBay or craigslist.
The best way to get a great deal is look of 'buy it now' listing on eBay that have just been listed. For some reason people will list TiVos for less than they are worth. You might be able to try out a TiVo for a while and sell it for more than what you paid for it.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:37 AM   #9
MrDell

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Once it's used, no more warranty. Doesn't matter if it's after 4 months or two years.
That is a very good point!... Thank you for that..
MrDell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:12 PM   #10
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Lame! Is that typical of extended warranties, or just a Tivo peculiarity? I extended the warranty on my flat panel TV but actually never thought about this issue --- just assumed it covered multiple repairs as necessary.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #11
socrplyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Lame! Is that typical of extended warranties, or just a Tivo peculiarity? I extended the warranty on my flat panel TV but actually never thought about this issue --- just assumed it covered multiple repairs as necessary.
Most extended warranties cover only one replacement. TiVo replaces every time. Other warranties will often will repair multiple times, but once it is replaced that is it. Obviously I can't speak for all, but that is my experience when reading the fine print.
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #12
unitron

In the "good old days" a warranty was basically a guarantee that they'd do whatever was necessary for you to have a working unit during the entire warranty period.

As consumer electronics have become disposable it seems satisfied customers are becoming considered the same.
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote