TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-28-2013, 02:10 PM   #1
Ready2learn

TiVo Desktop Plus not seeing DVR

I had to download TiVo Desktop Plus when I upgraded to Windows 8. I have a Series 2 TiVo. When the software wouldn't see my DVR I found out it was not supported for Windows 8, but I kept finding forum users who were getting it to work by using patches or codecs. I called a service tech who said my problem is a network problem, not a codec problem, and they don't support Windows 8 so there is nothing they can do but give me my money back. We tried restarting everything, setting the system to use the TiVo Beacon, disabling Firewalls etc, and nothing helped. I tried to go to several links mentioned in forums about a patch, but every link I tried is now a dead-end. It seems TiVo is disabling those links.

Before I call back to get a refund on the software I wanted to make one last try to find out if there are any others out there who have a fix. Please notify me if there is some patch still active I can download. There is nothing else I can do to the DVR or my laptop to fix it.

Thanks!
Ready2learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2learn View Post
I had to download TiVo Desktop Plus when I upgraded to Windows 8. I have a Series 2 TiVo. When the software wouldn't see my DVR I found out it was not supported for Windows 8, but I kept finding forum users who were getting it to work by using patches or codecs. I called a service tech who said my problem is a network problem, not a codec problem, and they don't support Windows 8 so there is nothing they can do but give me my money back. We tried restarting everything, setting the system to use the TiVo Beacon, disabling Firewalls etc, and nothing helped. I tried to go to several links mentioned in forums about a patch, but every link I tried is now a dead-end. It seems TiVo is disabling those links.

Before I call back to get a refund on the software I wanted to make one last try to find out if there are any others out there who have a fix. Please notify me if there is some patch still active I can download. There is nothing else I can do to the DVR or my laptop to fix it.

Thanks!
Was this service tech you called someone at and employed by TiVo, Inc?

Who, exactly, told you that they don't support Windows 8?

The whole point of TiVo discontinuing the free version of Desktop (though it's still available) is that Microsoft left stuff out of Windows 8 from 3rd parties whom they would have to pay, so TiVo offers only Desktop Plus, which includes the needed 3rd party stuff, which is why you have to pay TiVo for it because they have to pay the 3rd parties, and they did this so they wouldn't have a zillion support calls from people who are running W8.

Are you sure you got a good, full download of the latest version of Desktop Plus directly from tivo.com?

Should I infer anything from you saying you had to download it as opposed to saying you had to buy it?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
worachj

Have you turned on network discovery for Windows 8?

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...63#post9620363