Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
Generic
Now in Dolby Digital

CBS Colorized I Love Lucy Christmas Special

Quote:
On Tuesday, the network announced it would air "The I Love Lucy Christmas Special," made up of back-to-back colorized episodes of the beloved show, on December 20.
http://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/tv-news/fa...172809256.html
Old 10-23-2013, 10:24 PM   #2
mattack

BOOO for colorized shows.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:07 PM   #3
Hot4Bo
Finally an Avatar!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I don't like them either but I'll watch this because I do love that episode.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Hot4Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:32 PM   #4
GoPackGo

Meh. If you don't like the colorization, turn down the color on your TV
GoPackGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:44 AM   #5
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Did they pillar-box it too?

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:15 AM   #6
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPackGo View Post
Meh. If you don't like the colorization, turn down the color on your TV
We did that one year that the only Miracle on 34th Street was in color on TV.

I won't mind the color on a sitcom Christmas show, though.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:28 AM   #7
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Meh. I don't get the point (well I guess I do, people will be curious and want to watch). I Love Lucy in color just doesn't seem right.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:29 PM   #8
panictivo
Registered Fool

I am waiting until I can see it in IMAX 3D.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:38 PM   #9
waynomo
My One Time

Thanks for the heads up. I set up the recording on TiVo. I never tried to setup a recording 2 months in advance before. I wasn't sure you could do it.

And not a fan of colorization, but keeping an open mind.
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:23 PM   #10
spartanstew
Thanks 4 the Update

I don't mind colorization. Some things were made for B&W, for sure, but a lot of B&W is only in B&W because color wasn't available/was too expensive. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a style choice for I love Lucy. Bring it on.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:03 AM   #11
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanstew View Post
I don't mind colorization. Some things were made for B&W, for sure, but a lot of B&W is only in B&W because color wasn't available/was too expensive. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a style choice for I love Lucy. Bring it on.
Agreed! Looking forward to this!
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:02 AM   #12
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

in later years, other shows transitioned from b&w to color (bewitched).

ill was before my time, and i grew up watching other lucy shows in color. if i watched the special, and didn't know ahead of time, i would have probably thought these were episodes produced during the transition.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #13
mr.unnatural

Colorized shows are nowhere near as good as the original black and white. The color never looks natural and tends to bleed across the image borders. It looks like a small child used a coloring book and couldn't stay inside the lines.

Ted Turner started this fiasco of colorization back when he purchased the library of one of the major studios many years ago (I forget which). Back in the days of B&W film, directors used lighting for better effects to create the mood. Colorizing the film destroys what the director originally intended.

The only reason studios colorize films is because the current generation turns their nose up at B&W movies and TV shows because they think they're lame or some other such nonsense. Kids today just can't appreciate true art.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:27 AM   #14
SnakeEyes

back in my day...
SnakeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:42 PM   #15
mrdbdigital
The TBS Archives

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
Ted Turner started this fiasco of colorization back when he purchased the library of one of the major studios many years ago (I forget which).
It was MGM Studios. I was working for Ted at the time. We all thought he was nuts to stick his neck out so far financially at the time. But, what did we know? We were just concerned with our paychecks.

Ted had some very creative financial "wizards" behind him. I remember that when the company was putting all its' assets and cash flow into building CNN, the accountants told us they were making payroll with the profits from the literally millions of Slim Whitman albums we were selling on SuperStation17.

Ted did love to colorize old movies. His favorite was Casablanca.
mrdbdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #16
GoPackGo

Quote:
Colorized shows are nowhere near as good as the original black and white. The color never looks natural and tends to bleed across the image borders. It looks like a small child used a coloring book and couldn't stay inside the lines.
In the old days, sure. I'm interested to see how this looks now though with modern digital techniques.
GoPackGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:07 PM   #17
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPackGo View Post
I'm interested to see how this looks now though with modern digital techniques.
the story says that care was taken to maintain a "vintage" feel to the reproduction. i'm looking forward to the airing.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:22 AM   #18
jamesl

actually I Love Lucy WAS in color

its just the world was black and white back then

http://www.reoiv.com/random.asp?img=...our.jpg&page=2
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:47 AM   #19
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:

Ted Turner started this fiasco of colorization back when he purchased the library of one of the major studios many years ago (I forget which). Back in the days of B&W film, directors used lighting for better effects to create the mood. Colorizing the film destroys what the director originally intended.

The only reason studios colorize films is because the current generation turns their nose up at B&W movies and TV shows because they think they're lame or some other such nonsense. Kids today just can't appreciate true art.
I think there is a huge difference between a B & W movie directed by a masterful craftsman and B & W TV shows and especially comedies like I Love Lucy. There was no subtlety of lighting or shadows. Pretty much they wanted everything lit brightly for the primitive TV equipment both on the production side and the viewer side.

I'm actually interested to see how it is. I haven't seen anything colorized in probably 15 years. I would hope that the process has advanced along with the technology available. Yes, some of the early stuff they did was pretty much unwatchable. I'm expecting this to be much better.

But, yeah, I couldn't watch Casablanca, or It's a Wonderful Life, or Citizen Kane in color.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:05 AM   #20
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
I think there is a huge difference between a B & W movie directed by a masterful craftsman and B & W TV shows and especially comedies like I Love Lucy. There was no subtlety of lighting or shadows. Pretty much they wanted everything lit brightly for the primitive TV equipment both on the production side and the viewer side.

I'm actually interested to see how it is. I haven't seen anything colorized in probably 15 years. I would hope that the process has advanced along with the technology available. Yes, some of the early stuff they did was pretty much unwatchable. I'm expecting this to be much better.

But, yeah, I couldn't watch Casablanca, or It's a Wonderful Life, or Citizen Kane in color.
That's what I'm hoping too, that technology will at least make this watchable. I've actually wanted to take old pictures that I have that are in B&W and colorize them to see how they would come out.

That said, it's really a pointless exercise done for nothing more than a publicity stunt. To make sure this isn't going to happen again, I'll pass on watching this (I generally don't watch Christmas specials anyway, at least not since my daughter became too old for Rudolph).
Old 10-28-2013, 11:00 AM   #21
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:

One thing they have to adjust for sometimes is the color of wardrobe and some other props. Sometimes the color represented is not the color being worn/used. George Reeves' Superman outfit was not blue and red in the BW episodes, and in the famous shower scene in Psycho, Hershey's Syrup was used as blood going down the drain. So to colorize them means to alter them.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:13 AM   #22
waynomo
My One Time

Chocolate syrup was the blood of choice for B&W movies. If it was Red they'd probably still be using it. Finding a good blood substitute has been a problem for special effects artists in the age of color.

I know for the better colorized movies they researched as much as possible to find the original wardrobes, etc. to try and replicate the original colors.

Do you know what the colors were for the B&W Superman costume?
Old 10-28-2013, 11:14 AM   #23
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
(I generally don't watch Christmas specials anyway, at least not since my daughter became too old for Rudolph).
I'm 37, and I'm not too old for Rudolph yet
Old 10-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #24
waynomo
My One Time

Looking at the photo in the OP, can anybody tell that it was colorized? If so, how would you know without anybody telling you?

Couldn't it have been a color publicity still taken on the set?

Comparing it to the B&W image, it looks a whole lot better than me. (Separate issue of which looks better.) That grainy image from the infant days of TV does not look great.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:44 AM   #25
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Herman Munster was blue in the black and white versions of the show, since that showed up better in b/w. For the color show they had to change it to green.

So some shows are not accurate, while others will be.

I generally don't mind colorization. I am looking forward to this Lucy episode.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:41 PM   #26
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Chocolate syrup was the blood of choice for B&W movies. If it was Red they'd probably still be using it. Finding a good blood substitute has been a problem for special effects artists in the age of color.

I know for the better colorized movies they researched as much as possible to find the original wardrobes, etc. to try and replicate the original colors.

Do you know what the colors were for the B&W Superman costume?
Reeves's red-blue-and-yellow Superman costume was originally brown-gray-and-white, so that it would photograph in appropriate gray tones on black-and-white film.

They started filming in color the third year.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:01 PM   #27
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanstew View Post
I don't mind colorization. Some things were made for B&W, for sure, but a lot of B&W is only in B&W because color wasn't available/was too expensive. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a style choice for I love Lucy.
There were some color TVs during the time I Love Lucy aired, but not enough to make producing color episodes feasible (among other things, how many color TV cameras were there?). The only significant show I remember being made in color in the early 1950s was a Christmas episode of the original Dragnet; Jack Webb felt that the story would pass the test of time long enough for it to be broadcastable when color TV was widespread. (What he didn't count on was that, when color TV did become widespread, Dragnet would be remade, and a new version of that episode filmed. The original is on YouTube, but AFAIK only in B&W.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
in later years, other shows transitioned from b&w to color (bewitched).
I think the main switch (in the USA, anyway) was in the fall of 1966. Ironically, there are some shows whose black and white episodes are considered better; the best example I can come up with is The Andy Griffith Show, as the B&W ones mainly had Don Knotts as Barney while the color ones mainly have Jack Burns as his replacement Warren. I have heard this said about The Beverly Hillbillies and Gomer Pyle, USMC as well. Of course, a number of these may simply be "the show's not as good as it used to be" syndrome.

Does anybody else have the complete I Love Lucy set? That has a colorized episode (the one where they are in England and Lucy dreams she's in Scotland, facing a two-headed dragon); the colors were based on color publicity shots taken from the set.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:10 PM   #28
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
Reeves's red-blue-and-yellow Superman costume was originally brown-gray-and-white, so that it would photograph in appropriate gray tones on black-and-white film.

They started filming in color the third year.
Now I admit, I'm going back 40 years in my memory bank. When I was a teen, I had a 12" B&W TV in my bedroom (my parents had a 19" color set which was the house's main TV). I watched quite a few color shows in B&W and never noticed the colors looking funny in B&W. SO my question is, do shows filmed in color look better in B&W than B&W shows look on a color TV? I guess it only has to do with FILMING colors in B&W and not just WATCHING colors in B&W.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:33 PM   #29
stahta01
Simple Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Now I admit, I'm going back 40 years in my memory bank. When I was a teen, I had a 12" B&W TV in my bedroom (my parents had a 19" color set which was the house's main TV). I watched quite a few color shows in B&W and never noticed the colors looking funny in B&W. SO my question is, do shows filmed in color look better in B&W than B&W shows look on a color TV? I guess it only has to do with FILMING colors in B&W and not just WATCHING colors in B&W.
I remember my little sister always wanting to watch the Wizard of Oz; she saw it on the B&W TV so many times; she thought it had been colorized when she saw in at college in color. I still think she say it in color once or twice at home.

Tim S.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:28 PM   #30
mattack

BTW, even though I booed colorized shows/movies, I still may watch this.. (and turning down the color ISN'T the same, btw)..

and another thing is that I actually don't think I Love Lucy is all that funny, I think it's overrated.. But since it essentially (or completely?) invented the multi camera sitcom, I give it credit for that, and am still vaguely interested in seeing this since it probably wasn't in the regular syndicated runs?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote