TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-27-2013, 11:19 PM   #1
danterner
Not it!

The Walking Dead - "Isolation" - S04E03 - OAD 10-27-13

Interesting that it was Carol. I had myself convinced that it was the psycho little girl who named the walker, and I was just confused as to how she was able physically to drag the bodies. I still think that she was just pretending to be sick in order to get by Carol and gain admission to the sick ward - I have a feeling we'll be seeing her doing some proactive culling from the inside of the ward. I kept waiting for it through the episode, but it didn't happen.

So far, this season has been pretty good.

I'm pretty peeved at Carol. It's one thing to have a breakdown. It's another to take out your frustration on the prison's scant remaining water supply. When she kicked over that barrel she lost a lot of my respect.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:06 AM   #2
john4200

Driving while not looking at the road is dumb. But it takes a really special kind of stupid to just stop the car and let a bunch of slow moving walkers completely surround the car.

Are the writers so out of ideas that they cannot come up with any plausible zombie scenarios that do not require people to act like complete morons?

Then we had that guy coughing up blood right in Hershel's face. Seriously? If the sick guy cannot cover his mouth, he could at least turn his head to the side. And Hershel could have turned his head aside too. And then Hershel thinks the smart thing to do is to wipe his face with the same dirty cloth that is supposed to be blocking pathogens from his nose and mouth?

When this episode was not boring, it was stupid. I was enjoying this season, mostly. But this episode was way below average.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:49 AM   #3
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

It was lame that someone, especially a doctor, wouldn't cover his own mouth when coughing and known to be infectious. However, Hershel specifically decided to give up the pretense of protecting himself with the cloth. That's why he took it off and wiped his face with it: it was a sign that he was not going to use it anymore.

I do agree about the car thing in general. However, they were hearing a radio message from someone else still alive, transmitting a radio signal. That's pretty epic! I can forgive them for concentrating on something as important as that, especially if they'd been driving a while without seeing any walkers. If they'd been looking at the CDs in Zack's glove box, that would have been lame. It is, of course, typical TV "bad luck" that at that very instant they hit the vanguard of the zombie horde. As for stopping, they saw the thousands of walkers up ahead; there's no possible way they could get through that so stopping was necessary. Perhaps Daryl should have backed up more quickly but maybe he took a few seconds to be sure he couldn't go through. I couldn't figure out why Tyreese sat in the car for so long like that.

As for Carol, I agree it was very stupid (and out of character) for her to kick the water barrel like that. Did not like. I guess it gives a reason for her to go out and try to clear the hose by herself without telling anyone.

I'm really curious as to what Rick found that made him suspect Carol, though. He saw some kind of hand print on the door frame but I sure didn't see anything pointing to Carol.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:22 AM   #4
kdmorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
He saw some kind of hand print on the door frame but I sure didn't see anything pointing to Carol.
Presumably a bloody hand print of the culprit, which he put his hand up against, and realized it was a small hand compared to his.
kdmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:28 AM   #5
DavidJL

Quote:
I couldn't figure out why Tyreese sat in the car for so long like that.
My guess was that he felt they were on a tight enough schedule as it was. Earlier, when he was speaking with the other girl he was close to, she felt they weren't going to make it in time for her to receive any antibiotics. That she was going to be dead by the time they got back. I think Tyreese realized that leaving the car meant that she was right and she and a lot of others would be dead and he just felt like giving up rather than getting back to face that reality.
DavidJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:19 AM   #6
john4200

Quote:
Perhaps Daryl should have backed up more quickly....
Well, duh! Did you watch a different scene than I did? He just sat there while walkers slowly strolled up and surrounded the car!

It takes a special kind of stupid to let slow moving walkers surround you when you are in a perfectly functioning automobile!
Old 10-28-2013, 03:35 AM   #7
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdmorse View Post
Presumably a bloody hand print of the culprit, which he put his hand up against, and realized it was a small hand compared to his.
Sure, OK, but why does "smaller hand than me" mean "Carol"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
Well, duh! Did you watch a different scene than I did? He just sat there while walkers slowly strolled up and surrounded the car!

It takes a special kind of stupid to let slow moving walkers surround you when you are in a perfectly functioning automobile!
I think if you watch again it wasn't actually very long between when he stopped and when the car was surrounded. Plus the show producers needed to have enough time to do the ominous pan up so we could see how seriously screwed our heroes were. Although it seems clear in retrospect what needed to be done, I'll bet overreacting and moving without thinking gets you killed pretty quickly during the zombie apocalypse.

Feel free to be upset about it, though; it's the internet!
Old 10-28-2013, 04:07 AM   #8
john4200

Quote:
I think if you watch again it wasn't actually very long between when he stopped and when the car was surrounded.
You think wrong.

I think if you think again you will realize that walkers walk. It takes time to surround a car at a slow walking pace.

And you really need to learn some basic tactics. When a much slower enemy vastly outnumbers you in the field, your primary tactic is to move! Don't sit still. Sitting still gets you killed. Anyone who has spent months or years fighting zombies would know that. It was just incredibly stupid of them to sit there and let the car be surrounded.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:58 AM   #9
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
It wasn't just a smaller print, it was lower on the door. Rick was squatting when he put his hand up against it. I suspected crazy girl from the start, and when Rick did that it confirmed it in my mind. Which is why I was so surprised that it turned out to be Carol after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJL View Post
My guess was that he felt they were on a tight enough schedule as it was. Earlier, when he was speaking with the other girl he was close to, she felt they weren't going to make it in time for her to receive any antibiotics. That she was going to be dead by the time they got back. I think Tyreese realized that leaving the car meant that she was right and she and a lot of others would be dead and he just felt like giving up rather than getting back to face that reality.
I didn't think that at all. I thought he was contemplating Suicide By Zombie. Ultimately his sense of self-preservation, and his willingness to help the rest of the crew, won out. But just barely.

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
Old 10-28-2013, 06:17 AM   #10
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Driving while not looking at the road is dumb. But it takes a really special kind of stupid to just stop the car and let a bunch of slow moving walkers completely surround the car.
That's a TV/movie trope that bugs me generally, but that Walking Dead is far, far worse than usual about: The characters on screen can only see what's on screen. If Daryl were paying enough attention to keep the car on the road, he would have seen the zombies swarming along. But since we couldn't see them, he couldn't see them.

I think it comes down to writers not thinking about how the blocking would go, location scouts not coming up with locations that match the writing, and directors not bothering (or having time?) to fix the script when they see the location. There have been several times in the series when zombies have snuck up on people who were in the wide open.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
It wasn't just a smaller print, it was lower on the door. Rick was squatting when he put his hand up against it. I suspected crazy girl from the start, and when Rick did that it confirmed it in my mind. Which is why I was so surprised that it turned out to be Carol after all.
I guess if you're trying to drag the bodies of two grown people through a doorway, you'd be crouched down...
Old 10-28-2013, 06:22 AM   #11
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I think it comes down to writers not thinking about how the blocking would go, location scouts not coming up with locations that match the writing, and directors not bothering (or having time?) to fix the script when they see the location. There have been several times in the series when zombies have snuck up on people who were in the wide open.
And it would have been easy to fix. I can think of several more plausible scenarios. The simplest one would be to have the road blocked by some obstruction. They stop the car and get out to clear it. Then the zombies come from the side and a little behind them, trapping them between the herd and the obstruction.

The writers and directors just seem to really not care about that sort of thing.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:47 AM   #12
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:

As for Carol, I agree it was very stupid (and out of character) for her to kick the water barrel like that. Did not like. I guess it gives a reason for her to go out and try to clear the hose by herself without telling anyone.
That was actually one of the things that was very well done. Carol knocked over the water in anger and almost instantly had a "what have I done?!" reaction.
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:54 AM   #13
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
And it would have been easy to fix. I can think of several more plausible scenarios. The simplest one would be to have the road blocked by some obstruction. They stop the car and get out to clear it. Then the zombies come from the side and a little behind them, trapping them between the herd and the obstruction. The writers and directors just seem to really not care about that sort of thing.
The scenario you describe is pretty much exactly the way it was shown the first time they saw a herd - the highway was obstructed and as they stopped the caravan to deal with it, the herd came upon them from the side and a little behind. And many posters had a big problem with it then, for the same reason as now: there's just no good way to realistically have a group of intelligent quick people be surprised into a corner by a lumbering group of slow-moving dimwitted creatures. It's like losing at tic-tac-toe to a child, even though you got to make the first move.

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
Old 10-28-2013, 07:11 AM   #14
john4200

Quote:
The scenario you describe is pretty much exactly the way it was shown the first time they saw a herd - the highway was obstructed and as they stopped the caravan to deal with it, the herd came upon them from the side and a little behind. And many posters had a big problem with it then, for the same reason as now: there's just no good way to realistically have a group of intelligent quick people be surprised into a corner by a lumbering group of slow-moving dimwitted creatures. It's like losing at tic-tac-toe to a child, even though you got to make the first move.
I agree it is not perfect, but it is much better than what we saw in this episode. You could include the radio thing to distract them while they are stopped, too.

And your comparison is not "pretty much exactly" (what an ambiguous turn of phrase) what we saw here. First, I do not remember it being from the side and behind -- it was more like they came down the highway (but I could be misremembering). More importantly, this road was only two lanes and surrounded by woods on both sides. It makes it more plausible for a herd to be able to surprise them. Especially if there is some noise preventing them from hearing the herd.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:11 AM   #15
MLR930
Gamer Goddess

Quote:
Interesting that it was Carol. I had myself convinced that it was the psycho little girl who named the walker, and I was just confused as to how she was able physically to drag the bodies. I still think that she was just pretending to be sick in order to get by Carol and gain admission to the sick ward - I have a feeling we'll be seeing her doing some proactive culling from the inside of the ward. I kept waiting for it through the episode, but it didn't happen.

So far, this season has been pretty good.

I'm pretty peeved at Carol. It's one thing to have a breakdown. It's another to take out your frustration on the prison's scant remaining water supply. When she kicked over that barrel she lost a lot of my respect.
I think that water is contaminated with the virus that's making everyone sick so no respect lost here.

Xbox 360 Gamertag: GeekChic80
MLR930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:24 AM   #16
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt

Look out! There's walkers right behind you

Scott Wilson by jamesbobo62, on Flickr

There they are!

Chiller Expo by jamesbobo62, on Flickr

Yes, it's another Chiller Expo!
Old 10-28-2013, 08:24 AM   #17
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I couldn't figure out how he got to Carol as doing it from just that handprint.

I did like him looking over the area like it was a crime scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLR930 View Post
I think that water is contaminated with the virus that's making everyone sick so no respect lost here.
That's not a bad thought.

Really am liking Carl this season.

Hirschel was consciously setting himself up to get the virus and be in the area with the others. Wiping you face covered in a coughing man's blood/spit....not smart.

I hope they get something to help Glenn. The others I just don't have any investment in.

betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:46 AM   #18
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

I'm doubtful they'll kill Glenn off with a disease.

meh
heySkippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:16 AM   #19
Cearbhaill
I was provoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
Really am liking Carl this season.

Hirschel was consciously setting himself up to get the virus and be in the area with the others. Wiping you face covered in a coughing man's blood/spit....not smart.

I hope they get something to help Glenn. The others I just don't have any investment in.
Another Carl fan, yay!

Herschel already had blood in his eyes- not much point worrying after that IMO. He's resigned either way.

I think Glenn will survive- someone has to in order to illustrate that the human race will continue, and it's either him or Sasha or both.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #20
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

At this point, there are too many leads or regulars sick for them not to find a cure. If they were going to do a major cast culling, I doubt this is how they'd do it.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:38 AM   #21
DeDondeEs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLR930 View Post
Yeah, so they're drawing water out of that nasty looking creek right next to where they are killing all of the walkers and nobody has said "Gee maybe that nasty water is making us sick?"
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:46 AM   #22
Cearbhaill
I was provoked

Pertinent Halloween chuckle-

Old 10-28-2013, 11:36 AM   #23
pmyers

somebody last week had posted in spoilers what was said on the radio. I couldn't hear it myself, but it was something like "all survivors welcome" or something similiar to that. I'll have to go back and look.

Did anybody else make out any actual words?
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:45 AM   #24
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
somebody last week had posted in spoilers what was said on the radio. I couldn't hear it myself, but it was something like "all survivors welcome" or something similiar to that. I'll have to go back and look.

CC had the words (I always have it on nowadays) and I don't recall it being significant...something along the lines "if...alive"...I can't check until tonight
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #25
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

Thought for sure trigger-happy Carl was the one who killed Karen and David. Or is he and Carol is protecting him?
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:58 AM   #26
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
CC had the words (I always have it on nowadays) and I don't recall it being significant...something along the lines "if...alive"...I can't check until tonight
I think it was "No, WE'RE the survivors..."

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
Old 10-28-2013, 12:27 PM   #27
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
I think it was "No, WE'RE the survivors..."
"Gaunt," dummy.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:45 PM   #28
pmyers

Quote:

I found the post. The poster said this
Quote:
More importantly is the message on the radio "Sanctuary. Those who are arrive, survive.".
I listed for anything that sounded like that and I just couldn't make out anything.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:42 PM   #29
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Quote:
More importantly is the message on the radio "Sanctuary. Those who are arrive, survive.".
I hope they don't fall for that.

Biggest trap in the post apocalypse scenario. Sure, those who arrive, survive...until dinnertime!!

betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:44 PM   #30
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
It was lame that someone, especially a doctor, wouldn't cover his own mouth when coughing and known to be infectious. However, Hershel specifically decided to give up the pretense of protecting himself with the cloth. That's why he took it off and wiped his face with it: it was a sign that he was not going to use it anymore.
That's they way I took it as well.