TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
MPSAN

Blackfish on CNN 10-24-2013

Just a quick note...
CNN is playing Blackfish on Thursday, October 24th at 9 Eastern, but I also see it at 6PM Pacific. There is an Anderson Cooper 30 min special following, but does not seem to be in the guide yet!
Old 10-24-2013, 03:37 AM   #2
marksman
ID-10-T

Doug Benson has talked about this a lot lately. I want to see it. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:40 AM   #3
marksman
ID-10-T

I am seeing the Ac special in my directv guide. It is on at 10:30pm ct, and 1:30am ct on Friday.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #4
Swirl_Junkie

Yeah, I've been wanting to see this. I heard about it on Doug Bensons podcasts too. Thanks for the heads up.

The Anderson Cooper special is 11 pm eastern on the directtv app.

Last edited by Swirl_Junkie : 10-24-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Swirl_Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #5
MPSAN

Well, I did a manual record for AC at 8PM Pacific time, so I should get it.

Not sure if it is on the TIVO.COM site as tivo.com is almost useless lately as it is so slow!
Old 10-25-2013, 09:46 AM   #6
Swirl_Junkie

I found this documentary pretty compelling. One sided, but it was really well done. "The Cove" is pretty good, if you enjoyed this.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:43 PM   #7
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirl_Junkie View Post
I found this documentary pretty compelling. One sided, but it was really well done. "The Cove" is pretty good, if you enjoyed this.
I didn't see it as one-sided, even though SeaWorld didn't want to participate. They get their responses through media reports, so there was some representation of their "facts", which clearly reeked of "spin".

Good work by Cowperthwaite (doc producer) on locating one of the sea cowboys who originally captured Tillikum 30 years earlier and getting his story.

The former trainers sounded like former Scientologists in that they spouted the corporate "facts" about orcas while they worked there, but have since opened their eyes to the truth and are ashamed of their younger naivete in perpetuating SeaWorld's mistruths.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:44 PM   #8
Zevida
witless and unarmed

I'm looking forward to watching this, recording a reairing tonight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:23 PM   #9
Zevida
witless and unarmed

What a powerful film. And so sad. The videos of them capturing the orcas in the 70s is heartbreaking. To see the whole pod there desperate to get the baby back but unable is so sad. Same with the orca whose baby was moved to another park.

It really underscores that the animals do not belong in captivity and should be released or moved to ocean pens, period. At the least, they should stop breeding them. Hopefully the more these stories get out, the worse it will be for SeaWorld's business.

- billypritchard
Old 10-28-2013, 07:34 AM   #10
Swirl_Junkie

I agree zevida, its a powerful film. But where do you draw the line? Is it just large oceanic mammals? Is it elephants too? Gorillas and chimps? How about pets? It raises a lot of questions for me.
I lived on the coast in Florida for much of my life. I know the good work Sea World does. . I wouldn't have the same fascination with orcas, or dolphins had I not seen them in captivity. I've been to Alaska and seen them in the wild, and while its awesome, you only see about 10 percent of the whale. It's not the same.
I think Sea World is doing themselves a great disservice by not speaking out. They knew this was coming.

Last edited by Swirl_Junkie : 10-28-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:13 AM   #11
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
I agree zevida, its a powerful film. But where do you draw the line? Is it just large oceanic mammals? Is it elephants too? Gorillas and chimps? How about pets? It raises a lot of questions for me.
Just large oceanic mammals would be a start. Any animal where we cannot recreate something similar to their natural habitat. I don't think we should keep elephants in paddocks that would be similar in size to you never being able to leave your bedroom. We do, unfortunately, need sanctuaries, but we shouldn't be breeding them to live their lives in tiny enclosures.

I struggle with it with domesticated animals as well. I'm an avid horseback rider, but don't know if I will ever own another horse as long as I live in California. I think it is unethical how most horses are kept out here - a social creature meant to live in a herd with other horses roaming miles a day is kept isolated, unable to even touch another horse, and in a 20'x20' pen.

We can't save the world. And we don't have to worry about the slippery slope. We can decide that orcas in captivity is just not right based on their size, lifestyle and intelligence and do the right thing for them.

- billypritchard
Old 10-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #12
Swirl_Junkie

Have you seen "The Cove" yet? It's about the selection process for dolphins, and the mass killings of those not selected.

I am unsure how I feel about terrestrial mammals , or just animals, but this movie got me thinking about all of it.

Last edited by Swirl_Junkie : 10-28-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:49 PM   #13
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Yes, I've seen The Cove.

Just brutally heart-breaking.

- billypritchard
Old 10-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #14
Jstkiddn

Da%@ it, I wanted to see this and I let it get by without recording and my guide isn't showing any more showings. It's not on Neflix or Amazon streaming, so hoping I can find it somewhere. I do see that The Cove is available for rent via Amazon streaming, so I may check that out as well.
Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:24 PM   #15
Swirl_Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstkiddn View Post
Da%@ it, I wanted to see this and I let it get by without recording and my guide isn't showing any more showings. It's not on Neflix or Amazon streaming, so hoping I can find it somewhere. I do see that The Cove is available for rent via Amazon streaming, so I may check that out as well.
The Cove is a pretty graphic film. Just so you know.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #16
Jstkiddn

Quote:
The Cove is a pretty graphic film. Just so you know.

Thank you for the warning. I was going to see if my daughter (13) wanted to watch these with me, so I may skip that one.

Is Blackfish okay for her age bracket? I was able to find it via 'alternative methods'.
Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:07 PM   #17
Swirl_Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstkiddn View Post

Thank you for the warning. I was going to see if my daughter (13) wanted to watch these with me, so I may skip that one.

Is Blackfish okay for her age bracket? I was able to find it via 'alternative methods'.
It's really sad, and they show tilikum and the collection of his sperm ( which many may find hard to watch). I don't think they really show anyone violently killed, but its the focus of much of the movie. They do show mammal vs mammal kills, like animal planet.

Last edited by Swirl_Junkie : 10-28-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:06 PM   #18
JohnB1000

Zevida, the horse ranches in Morgan Hill have lots of horses together. I have a few near my house and I see them in the fields
Old 10-28-2013, 03:24 PM   #19
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB1000 View Post
Zevida, the horse ranches in Morgan Hill have lots of horses together. I have a few near my house and I see them in the fields
Yeah, my horse was at a place in Gilroy for a bit that had horses in fields - it's just hard to find and to also have good quality care, safe fencing (not barbed wire), facilities for riding, a trainer who instructs, etc. So it's a trade-off. It's definitely easier to find in Morgan Hill/Gilroy than on the Peninsula. My horse is retired now in a pasture in Watsonville - but no riding facilities, just for retired horses.

- billypritchard
Old 10-29-2013, 10:59 PM   #20
Zevida
witless and unarmed

CNN has an encore scheduled for Sat 11/2 at 9pm Eastern.

- billypritchard

Last edited by Zevida : 10-29-2013 at 11:49 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:35 PM   #21
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevida View Post
CNN has an encore scheduled for Sat 11/2 at 9pm.
9pm in what time zone?

I see several airings of "CNN Special" on 11/2 but none have any details as to what the show is about.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:50 PM   #22
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
9pm in what time zone?

I see several airings of "CNN Special" on 11/2 but none have any details as to what the show is about.
Sorry, 9pm Eastern. I think they just announced it, so guide data might not be updated.

- billypritchard
Old 10-30-2013, 10:06 PM   #23
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksman View Post
Doug Benson has talked about this a lot lately. I want to see it. Thanks for the heads up.
Which Doug Benson podcasts? The only one I listen to is Doug Loves Movies, but even with that one, I'm WAY behind.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:07 AM   #24
Swirl_Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post

Which Doug Benson podcasts? The only one I listen to is Doug Loves Movies, but even with that one, I'm WAY behind.
That's all I listen to too. It was on there, maybe 3 months ago.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:51 PM   #25
LaurenLMHC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevida View Post
Just large oceanic mammals would be a start. Any animal where we cannot recreate something similar to their natural habitat. I don't think we should keep elephants in paddocks that would be similar in size to you never being able to leave your bedroom. We do, unfortunately, need sanctuaries, but we shouldn't be breeding them to live their lives in tiny enclosures.

We can decide that orcas in captivity is just not right based on their size, lifestyle and intelligence and do the right thing for them.
I agree 100%. Whether or not SeaWorld does "great things" is irrelevant. They are a FOR PROFIT company. If they are BREEDING animals, they are not SAVING them (which is the purpose of a sanctuary). Perhaps SeaWorld can put their energy into protecting the species, rather than maintaining their exhibit....
LaurenLMHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:01 AM   #26
marksman
ID-10-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Yeah he mentioned it on one or two DLM a while back. I think he also mentioned it the last time he was on Joe Rogan (but maybe nerdist)

I watched it and it was heart breaking. Some times I think we get carried away transferring human behavior onto animals but it is fairly clear that there are some pretty important things we are messing with when it comes to how Orcas live.

I read up on Sealand on wiki while watching it. Not sure how that crazy place existed. In Canada no less. In terms of humans harmed and injured some of the footage was absolutely amazing. At the end of the day these are wild animals though and it is foolish to treat them as anything else.

I have been to the Seaworld in Ca,Fl and Tx but it has been a very long time. I don't think I would ever go back. It does serve a benefit as someone mentioned that we get to see these animals up close.

As for the bent over dorsal fin many captive males have, I looked it up and the theory I saw is that these fine can get up to six feet long on large males. While in the wild most of their time is spent swimming very fast at depth for long distances. The pressure applied to the cartilage fin serves to keep it straight. When captive they are kept in very small areas that are relatively shallow and swim in circles. So with time the structure of the fin just breaks down and it flops over.

I think they said tillikum was 12,000 lbs at one point, yet he was contained in very small areas. Others have talked about this with other animals and how we house them. As I have gotten older this stuff has come to bother me more and more.

It was interesting to hear most of the trainers reveal they felt like they had a special bond with the animals they cared for but now in hindsight they were just romanticizing their role as a food provider.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:19 AM   #27
MonsterJoe
salty meat-poles

Animals don't belong in captivity. Zoos and circuses make me sad and angry. I won't let my daughter's grandparents take her to them, and they think I'm a weirdo for it.
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #28
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Reminds me of

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:58 PM   #29
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterJoe View Post
Animals don't belong in captivity. Zoos and circuses make me sad and angry. I won't let my daughter's grandparents take her to them, and they think I'm a weirdo for it.
Sometimes I even think it's weird and wrong for me to have an animal in my home that I teach to do tricks and parade around the neighborhood with a rope around it's neck.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:59 PM   #30
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterJoe View Post
Animals don't belong in captivity. Zoos and circuses make me sad and angry.
this - confining animals is cruel, and i'll even extend this to house pets kept in cages or tanks, horses kept in stalls, etc.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote