TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-27-2013, 08:59 PM   #1
Slim724

S1 stuck in guided setup

Switched my phone line to VOIP. Reading the TC forums, got it to download guide info, etc. After several months, it stopped downloading. Reading TC forums, it sounded like redoing the guided setup may straighten out the downloading. Now I'm stuck at the point where it wants to make the first phone connection.

So, how screwed am I if I want to just add a Turbonet card? I'm guessing guided setup won't have a clue about the Turbonet. Will I have to reformat the hard drive or will it recognize the Turbonet?
Slim724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:19 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim724 View Post
Switched my phone line to VOIP. Reading the TC forums, got it to download guide info, etc. After several months, it stopped downloading. Reading TC forums, it sounded like redoing the guided setup may straighten out the downloading. Now I'm stuck at the point where it wants to make the first phone connection.

So, how screwed am I if I want to just add a Turbonet card? I'm guessing guided setup won't have a clue about the Turbonet. Will I have to reformat the hard drive or will it recognize the Turbonet?
If that S1 has been running recently, it should already have been updated to version 3.0 of the software, which means you just add a dialing prefix of ,#401 and it'll automatically use a TurboNet card or CacheCard.

If you don't have any experience with hooking the TiVo's serial port to a PC and using something like TelNet to intervene in the boot process so as to get to the place where you can set a fixed IP address, you'll have to make sure your router is set up to do DHCP--and that is one of the few times I'm likely to say anything good about DHCP.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:13 PM   #3
Slim724

I do use DHCP so that should be good. Didn't know about the ,#401 but that clarifies how the S1 will know about the Turbonet card.

I'll go ahead and order one.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
I do use DHCP so that should be good. Didn't know about the ,#401 but that clarifies how the S1 will know about the Turbonet card.

I'll go ahead and order one.
I thought you already had one.

S1 internal modems are notorious for going bad, usually as a result of a spike on the phone line that other stuff, like external modems, wouldn't even notice.

But TiVo's servers, especially the ones accessed by phone, are notorious for problems near the end of the year for some reason.

Do you already have a ,#0xx dial prefix entered to get it to work with VOIP?

If so, what's where the x's are?

If not, try entering ,#019, to lower the speed to 19k, and if that doesn't work try ,#096 to lower it to 9.6k

Let's make sure what, if anything, is wrong with the TiVo before you spend any money.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
Slim724

I have two S1s. One has a lifetime subscription, the other not. I took the HDD out of the one mentioned earlier and put it into the other. Powered it up and had it try to make the call. No luck. That tells me it isn't the modem.

If I remember right, the connect string is ,,,*99, I can sure swap it out for your suggestions.

Thanks!!
Old 10-28-2013, 03:54 PM   #6
unitron

Quote:
I have two S1s. One has a lifetime subscription, the other not. I took the HDD out of the one mentioned earlier and put it into the other. Powered it up and had it try to make the call. No luck. That tells me it isn't the modem.

If I remember right, the connect string is ,,,*99, I can sure swap it out for your suggestions.

Thanks!!
That string doesn't look familiar, at least as a TiVo modem string, which I think are all ,#xxx, although it may be something necessary for your VOIP setup. I think * signals something to the phone company (or whatever's standing in for them). Isn't *69 a way find out the number that just called or something? And *something something connects you to the Highway Patrol here in NC.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:37 AM   #7
Slim724

I think *99 is some sort of signal to OOMA. Maybe to let it know that this is a data call? I found the code on some other forum site....
Old 11-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #8
Slim724

I've tried your setting, my settings and a combination of the two. No luck. I've even gone so far as to listen to the modem warble on my handset. They just negotiate but never agree. I wonder if the issue is on their side.

In the mean time, I'm going to order a Turbonet card. Hope it works.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:42 AM   #9
unitron

Quote:
I've tried your setting, my settings and a combination of the two. No luck. I've even gone so far as to listen to the modem warble on my handset. They just negotiate but never agree. I wonder if the issue is on their side.

In the mean time, I'm going to order a Turbonet card. Hope it works.
I'm not too sure how good an idea it is to be putting money into an S1 at this point.

Did your "not quite a real phone" telephone service used to, as in recently, allow either TiVo to use its internal modem to call in for guide data?

Have you still got a PC old enough to have a 9 pin serial port and an internal modem?

Old 11-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #10
BobCamp1

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I'm not too sure how good an idea it is to be putting money into an S1 at this point.

Did your "not quite a real phone" telephone service used to, as in recently, allow either TiVo to use its internal modem to call in for guide data?

Have you still got a PC old enough to have a 9 pin serial port and an internal modem?
No internal modem is needed, the PC just needs an Internet connection for PPP over serial. The instructions are here:

http://bwinton.latte.ca/Palm/ppp.html

The S1s have trouble digesting all the guide data that's now available. You can also try just selecting antenna only for now just to help troubleshoot your problem. If that works, it's not your modem.

You can also try to use a different number, and even try some numbers in NYC (212 area code).
BobCamp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:25 AM   #11
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCamp1 View Post
No internal modem is needed, the PC just needs an Internet connection for PPP over serial. The instructions are here:

http://bwinton.latte.ca/Palm/ppp.html

The S1s have trouble digesting all the guide data that's now available. You can also try just selecting antenna only for now just to help troubleshoot your problem. If that works, it's not your modem.

You can also try to use a different number, and even try some numbers in NYC (212 area code).
There's a program called Pilotnet which was written to allow Palm Pilots to plug into a PC's 9/25 pin serial port and use its internal or, I suppose, external modem, anyway it basically connects one COM port to another, and it puts up a window that shows the "conversation" between the devices, in my case an S1 and the server that answers the call when the modem dials a TiVo number.

It's an interesting alternative for S1s whose notoriously injury and death prone internal modems are "hors de combat", and anyone attempting to keep an S1 alive should probably have a "TiVo serial port to PC serial port" cable made up anyway to use something like HyperTerminal to view, or interrupt, the boot sequence.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #12
BobCamp1

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
There's a program called Pilotnet which was written to allow Palm Pilots to plug into a PC's 9/25 pin serial port and use its internal or, I suppose, external modem, anyway it basically connects one COM port to another, and it puts up a window that shows the "conversation" between the devices, in my case an S1 and the server that answers the call when the modem dials a TiVo number.

It's an interesting alternative for S1s whose notoriously injury and death prone internal modems are "hors de combat", and anyone attempting to keep an S1 alive should probably have a "TiVo serial port to PC serial port" cable made up anyway to use something like HyperTerminal to view, or interrupt, the boot sequence.
Here's another link that doesn't mention the Palm Pilot. Same instructions.

http://www.b-lan.com/otto/tivo3xp/

I've used it before with a notebook PC with a wireless LAN connection. Works well. Except you can't suspend the notebook without undoing some of the changes.

I did it because running guided setup with an S1 is asking for trouble. I had to do it when switching from D* to FIOS, and it took 8 attempts before it downloaded everything correctly. Using Wireshark, I saw it was getting a little bit farther each time so I kept doing it. But after it finished, the daily call now works just fine using a phone line.

I think there are so many channels today, both in HD and SD, that the guide data is now gigantic and the S1 simply wasn't built for it.
BobCamp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:36 PM   #13
Slim724

Just to wrap this up

I bought the Turbonet card. Works perfect! Instantly made the connection and downloaded all it needed. We're back in business. This old S1 is perfect for the bedroom where you don't watch the majority of TV.

Thanks!
Old 01-10-2014, 06:52 AM   #14
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCamp1 View Post
Here's another link that doesn't mention the Palm Pilot. Same instructions.

http://www.b-lan.com/otto/tivo3xp/

I've used it before with a notebook PC with a wireless LAN connection. Works well. Except you can't suspend the notebook without undoing some of the changes.

I did it because running guided setup with an S1 is asking for trouble. I had to do it when switching from D* to FIOS, and it took 8 attempts before it downloaded everything correctly. Using Wireshark, I saw it was getting a little bit farther each time so I kept doing it. But after it finished, the daily call now works just fine using a phone line.

I think there are so many channels today, both in HD and SD, that the guide data is now gigantic and the S1 simply wasn't built for it.

Pilotnet is specifically designed, as best I can tell, to let some external device (originally a Palm Pilot) connect to a PC via its "old school" serial port, i.e., the kind before there was USB, and to connect that Com port to the PC's internal modem's Com port, so that the external device can use the PC's internal modem, Hayes commands and all.

In other words, if your S1's internal modem is fried (which is even more likely than "capacitor plague" in S2 and S3 power supplies), you can use it instead of having to buy an external modem, although if you have an external modem attached to the PC, and there's still a serial port available after hooking it up, you might be able to use it as well, instead of having to switch the external modem between the PC and the S1.

What you linked to seems more intended for internet access via a PC connected to your home network.