TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-27-2013, 01:32 AM   #1
dcrowell77

MoCA Speeds

I just picked up a couple of MoCA adapters to replace my wireless (G) and I have to say I'm not impressed. It seems like there isn't much benefit unless the signal was really spotty to begin with. I did a transfer test with wireless vs moca and got these numbers:

Wireless : outgoing (pull from HD to Premier) = 15.17
MoCA : outgoing (pull from HD to Premier) = 11.91

Please tell me I didn't just drop $100 on a bunch of MoCa gear to get worse performance. I have the Actiontech adapter from tivo.com at the router and I bought a channel-master 4-port bridge+hub for the TiVoHD side (obviously using the Premiere's built-in bridge).
dcrowell77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:42 AM   #2
BigJimOutlaw

The Tivo HD is a bottleneck. It doesn't have great networking speeds, even with ethernet.

The MoCA network itself, if you were PC-to-Premiere or Premiere-to-Premiere would be closer to 70-80 if everything is operating right.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 10-27-2013 at 02:47 AM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:38 AM   #3
dcrowell77

The part that confuses me is that things get worse with MoCA compared to wireless. Is there more processing being done by the box with ethernet vs wireless (seems odd).

Just to be thorough, here are the incoming (premiere to HD) speeds:
wireless = 17
MoCA = 14

Will a pyTiVo pull show up in the DVR diagnostics screen? Any other way to test the speed?
Old 10-27-2013, 01:29 PM   #4
BigJimOutlaw

The moca might be slow but it's hard to diagnose from long distance.

A pytivo pull will show up on the Tivo's diagnostic screen as well as show the speed in pytivo's console window.

Pytivo "pushes" can be considerably faster than pulls if the file is already in a specific format compatible with the Tivo. That's where the most potential is. A couple of different pytivo pushes (with no transcoding... this might be trial and error) to the Premiere may give you a better idea of how well the moca is functioning.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 10-27-2013 at 01:43 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:13 PM   #5
dcrowell77

Wow, didn't realize the HD was so limited. Numbers from a couple pytivo pulls:
-Premiere pull from pytivo- 52.76 Mb/s
-HD pull from pytivo- - 11.20 Mb/s

I'll have to do a wireless pytivo pull from the Premiere later to check that out.